Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Expert

Re: Roku/Xfinity Stream Beta Not Working

@Myers5987 wrote:
This device can only access Xfinity stream on your him home Xfinity Wi-Fi use the app on your smart phone tablet or laptop to watch on the go anytime you like. I was able to watch Xfinity stream through my Roku device and now I can’t

Hi, your post seems to be quoting a previous msg and your own content too? It is true as you said that the Roku Beta Stream channel is only available while connected to your home wifi. If you are at home and can't connect to the Xfinity channel, have you moved? is your current modem/gateway listed on your 'my account' app on the internet tab?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I am on my home xfinity WiFi. Roku was streaming xfinity now it won’t.
New Poster

Same issue, was working fine, disconnected for a week or two, now starts on purchases screen, no way off it, no change in my service package.
New Poster

I'm having the same problem with my xfinity app. Roku thinks I am on a public wifi. I have only had comcast for a little over a month. I have had more days that I couldn't stream TV than I could. I have spent hours on the phone with both comcast and roku tech support. They will get it fixed for a few day and all the sudden it has the same error code again. I'm fed up with comcast. Any other wifi companies work better than comcast with the roku devices?
Regular Contributor

It could be your router. Is it a Comcast supplied, and what brand? My router used to lose its IP address, then I would have to restart it. Bought a netgear, and problem went away. As for better internet service, that would depend on where you live. Century Link is good in some areas.
New Poster

My router is supplied by comcast. Not sure of the brand, but supposedly the best they have. I returned the first one I had for a brand new one, it worked for a week and now it is doing the same thing. Very frustrating!
Regular Contributor

You might try a new router, I found Netgear, from Walmart for about $100, works great. The good news is, if it fixes the issue, you save $10 per month (Comcast rental fee), and if it doesn't work, you can return it within 30 days. My old router was one from Comcast also. It was junk as far as I am concerned, and after doing some research on the net, others said the same thing.
New Poster

I have a new net gear router. I did away with the rental and bought my own. The Roku was working on the new router, it’s the only router I’ve had connected to the Roku. Now the Roku acts as if I’m not on my xfinity WiFi.
New Poster

@asndad wrote:
It could be your router. Is it a Comcast supplied, and what brand? My router used to lose its IP address, then I would have to restart it. Bought a netgear, and problem went away. As for better internet service,

that would depend on where you live. Century Link is good in some areas.

andad

Thanks, it looks like my email address is not currently connected to my account.  I am actually on hold with Comcast now and they are correcting that issue and believe it should resolve problem.

Regular Contributor

Glad to hear they may fix the issue. Still might want to look into buying a modem to save the rental fee. Easy to set up, took me about 10 minutes.
Expert

the roku will only work on the data modem/gateway (router is not part of this) on the customer record. using a smart device, run the Xfinity My Account app, select internet tab, and then the modem(s) (some have two one for data and one for telephone). compare the data modem serial number listed to the one on your actual modem. when replacing/updating modem/gateway it can take 24 hours to update. test that this is the problem by using a smart device (iOS or android) and the Xfinity Stream TV app. is it working while the Roku is not working?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

My new modem is not showing up. Only the rental. Will it go away once I physically return it and get it removed from my account?
Expert

@Myers5987 wrote:
My new modem is not showing up. Only the rental. Will it go away once I physically return it and get it removed from my account?

you can fix it now if you like. call 800-Comcast and select billing. ask the agent to add your new modem/gateway to your account. you will need to have the numbers off the bottom of your modem to give to the agent (I usually just take a phone picture of the label).

Regular Contributor

@Myers5987 wrote:

You will need to call Comcast to make sure your new modem is showing up, and not conflicting with outdated info. Make sure you do this to ensure the best internet performance possible. Otherwise, you will likely encounter issues.

When you call, make sure you have access to your new modem to provide all the necessary model and serial info.

New Poster

Re: Roku can't install Xfinity App

I also have the Roku 2 device. Every time I try to install it says failed. Also the app pic doesn't show up. Do I have to buy a newer Roku box ?
Expert

@Helenmagg wrote:
I also have the Roku 2 device. Every time I try to install it says failed. Also the app pic doesn't show up. Do I have to buy a newer Roku box ?

roku 2 model 4210 should work. you must update the Roku version first. then install the Xfinity beta app. 

New Poster

I had to call xfinity and have my personal owned modem registered thru them. Now it’s working great!!!
Regular Contributor

@Myers5987 wrote:
I had to call xfinity and have my personal owned modem registered thru them. Now it’s working great!!!

Great news! Enjoy!

New Poster

Re: How can I get a activation code to use roku app on my xfinity stream

Expert

Re: How can I get a activation code to use roku app on my xfinity stream

@Missnyny0313 wrote:

if your beta stream channel is not working, open the channel. does it begin the process to set up the channel for use? The Roku will present a 'code' and shows a web address to activate. I was able to use the Chrome browser on my desktop to activate the roku.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Stream App on Roku TV (Insignia brand) NOT WORKING

having the same results? Mine still does not work and no one from Xfinity seems to be willing to look into this. 

@Sanjee wrote:
I am using a Roku device connected to my tv. I have been having same issue for last 2 days (since 7/14).

No error message nothing just shuts down and brings back to the roku home screen

New Poster

Error message for Xfinity on Roku stick

I am getting upset with Xfinity and this error message on my TV when I am trying to stream Xfinity Beta. It just keeps starting over. How do I fix this issue? It was working fine, now I keep getting error message about I can't stream on the Roku. I am at home on my Xfinity WiFi. @ComcastElla, please assist
Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream App on Roku TV (Insignia brand) NOT WORKING

@tearsofmccown89 wrote:

having the same results? Mine still does not work and no one from Xfinity seems to be willing to look into this. 

@Sanjee wrote:
I am using a Roku device connected to my tv. I have been having same issue for last 2 days (since 7/14).

No error message nothing just shuts down and brings back to the roku home screen

hi, what is the model number of the Roku? have you checked the Roku settings menu to be sure it is fully up to date in firmware? what is the firmware version? Have you tried removing the Roku device from the TV and alll connections like power for 30 seconds then plugged back in? if not working did you try  removing the Stream beta channel and reinstalling it?

Expert

Re: Error message for Xfinity on Roku stick

@Williafe1 wrote:
I am getting upset with Xfinity and this error message on my TV when I am trying to stream Xfinity Beta. It just keeps starting over. How do I fix this issue? It was working fine, now I keep getting error message about I can't stream on the Roku. I am at home on my Xfinity WiFi. @ComcastElla, please assist

hi, what error message and error number are you seeing? 

New Poster

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

Please clarify and confirm that the monthly charge for the XFINITY Stream app on Roku will be $7.45. Yes?   Customer Service and Customer Solutions do not disclose this fact, or have not been informed, but a company spokesperson and the FCC have.

https://www.cnet.com/news/comcast-roku-app-fee-set-top-box/

https://variety.com/2017/digital/news/comcast-xfinity-app-roku-1201974253/

https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/comcast-clarifies-pricing-strategy-for-xfinity-tv-app-roku

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170202/13501236617/comcasts-decision-to-charge-roku-users-bogus-...

A Comcast spokesperson confirmed that the company will be charging customers an "access fee" of $7.45 for each TV using the Roku app. That's the same price Comcast charges customers who use a TiVo or other CableCard device instead of renting a set-top box from Comcast. FCC rules require Comcast and other cable operators to give subscribers a discount if they use a Cablecard dev... instead of renting a set-top box, which is why the price is discounted for Comcast customers.

"What makes this fee striking is that it's not designed to pay for any particular cost to Comcast's business. The $9.95 fee that 99 percent of cable customers pay for set-top boxes is listed on bills as an equipment "rental fee." Even the Cablecard fee includes a bit of hardware from the cable operator. But the Roku app is purely software. It doesn't require a piece of equipment supplied by the cable company, nor does it require a technician to come to your home to set it up."

But Gigi Sohn, who served as a senior adviser to former FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, said she knows why.

"It's gravy to them," Sohn said. "You're already paying handsomely for the service. And now they're making you pay a second time."

Expert

@molivers wrote:

Please clarify and confirm that the monthly charge for the XFINITY Stream app on Roku will be $7.45. Yes?   Customer Service and Customer Solutions do not disclose this fact, or have not been informed, but a company spokesperson and the FCC have.

https://www.cnet.com/news/comcast-roku-app-fee-set-top-box/

https://variety.com/2017/digital/news/comcast-xfinity-app-roku-1201974253/

https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/comcast-clarifies-pricing-strategy-for-xfinity-tv-app-roku

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170202/13501236617/comcasts-decision-to-charge-roku-users-bogus-...

A Comcast spokesperson confirmed that the company will be charging customers an "access fee" of $7.45 for each TV using the Roku app. That's the same price Comcast charges customers who use a TiVo or other CableCard device instead of renting a set-top box from Comcast. FCC rules require Comcast and other cable operators to give subscribers a discount if they use a Cablecard dev... instead of renting a set-top box, which is why the price is discounted for Comcast customers.

"What makes this fee striking is that it's not designed to pay for any particular cost to Comcast's business. The $9.95 fee that 99 percent of cable customers pay for set-top boxes is listed on bills as an equipment "rental fee." Even the Cablecard fee includes a bit of hardware from the cable operator. But the Roku app is purely software. It doesn't require a piece of equipment supplied by the cable company, nor does it require a technician to come to your home to set it up."

But Gigi Sohn, who served as a senior adviser to former FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, said she knows why.

"It's gravy to them," Sohn said. "You're already paying handsomely for the service. And now they're making you pay a second time."

any discussion of price is pure speculation until the end of the beta program is announced. 

New Poster

After using the beta for some time during which it worked well for the last several weeks I have been unable to stream anything using it.  I have tried rebooting it, resetting my router, and reinstalling the beta to no avail.  It simply will not stream anything whether live or on demand.  Very disappointing.

Expert

@DSchuler wrote:

After using the beta for some time during which it worked well for the last several weeks I have been unable to stream anything using it.  I have tried rebooting it, resetting my router, and reinstalling the beta to no avail.  It simply will not stream anything whether live or on demand.  Very disappointing.

are you in your home and have the Roku connected to your home wifi SSID (not xfinitywifi SSID nor a neighbor's wifi)? if so, when you run the Roku and select Xfinity what do you see on the screen? step by step explain what happens along with any error messages/error numbers. do you get logged in? can see your cloud recordings?

New Poster

Hardly speculative when the company's own spokesperson confirms. If that were not the case get out in front of the issue and say so. Own it.
Regular Visitor

Watching Recordings on Xfinity Stream Roku app crashes the app

I have a Roku Ultra and Xfinity Instant TV. I am trying to watch recorded shows on the Xfinity Stream Roku app and when I start the shows they run for about 30 seconds and crash the whole app. Live TV and On-demand appear to work just fine. It's just recordings. I haven't had this problem before, has anyone else?

Expert

Re: Watching Recordings on Xfinity Stream Roku app crashes the app

@cnichols82 wrote:

I have a Roku Ultra and Xfinity Instant TV. I am trying to watch recorded shows on the Xfinity Stream Roku app and when I start the shows they run for about 30 seconds and crash the whole app. Live TV and On-demand appear to work just fine. It's just recordings. I haven't had this problem before, has anyone else?

are you receiving an error message or error code? have you tried playing same recordings on the streaming website with a PC or on an andorid or iOS smart device?

Regular Visitor

No error mesage, Roku just returns to it's home screeen. Recordings work fine on Android app and laptop streaming.

New Poster

Roku

Is there still I app on roku for xfinity stream?!
Expert

@cnichols82 wrote:

No error mesage, Roku just returns to it's home screeen. Recordings work fine on Android app and laptop streaming.

try signing out of the xfinity channel and uninstalling it from the Roku. remove the Roku from all connectors/power supply for 30 seconds of so then plug back in and reinstalling the Xfinity Beta channel and sign in. Play live TV (do SD and HD channels play?), on-demand, and then try to play recordings. 

Expert

Re: Roku

@Bret9 wrote:
Is there still I app on roku for xfinity stream?!

HI, I moved your post to the Roku mega-thread. The first post on this page at the top of page 1 shows the Roku model numbers that will successfully run the Xfinity stream beta channel. the answer is that many Roku devices are able to access the Xfinity stream beta channel.

Regular Visitor

That appears to have made it possible to watch new recordings without a problem. Previously started recordings are damaged somehow, but I'm ok as long as I can watch my recordings again. Thanks for the help!

New Poster

I have noticed that the App is crashing pretty often.  How do I report this. 

Expert

@ascotell wrote:

I have noticed that the App is crashing pretty often.  How do I report this. 

do you get an error message and/or error message number? does the crash happen before playing the video?

Frequent Visitor

I’m not sure how to stretch SD content to fill my screen on the roku stream app. Movies look tiny and in the middle of the screen. I would like to know if there is a setting for this on the app.
Frequent Visitor

The expert program link gives access denied...
Highlighted
Expert

@AROM wrote:
I’m not sure how to stretch SD content to fill my screen on the roku stream app. Movies look tiny and in the middle of the screen. I would like to know if there is a setting for this on the app.

after you posted I put my roku on TVland which was playing M.A.S.H. which is in 4:3 ratio (black curtains on left and right no curtain on top/bottom. commercials were full screen 16:9. up now is Everybody Loves Raymond and it is full 16:9. during both shows the commercials showing were in full 16:9 format.

Regular Contributor

If your bill does not show a $10 HD fee, your out of luck. Does not matter if your package has HD included or not, you will only get SD service on Roku. Comcast even goes as far as downgrading channels that are HD from the source. Just another way for Comcast to scam customers.
Expert

@asndad wrote:
If your bill does not show a $10 HD fee, your out of luck. Does not matter if your package has HD included or not, you will only get SD service on Roku. Comcast even goes as far as downgrading channels that are HD from the source. Just another way for Comcast to scam customers.

it is not a scam at all. it is a beta program. It is not ready for retail paid use yet. 

Frequent Visitor

I don’t know what is the difference between your setup and mine but all my SD content is not full screen. It is however 16:9 but not in full screen. Any help from the devs would be appreciated.
Frequent Visitor

This is for on demand and live tv. Here is a pic.
image.jpg
Frequent Visitor

Here is one with the menu showing that the interface is full HD but the SD stream is not stretching to fill the screen.
image.jpg
Regular Contributor

Do you have a line on your bill that shows a $10 HD fee? If not, you will not get HD. It does not matter if HD is part of your program package. You must pay a separate HD fee together HD on your Roku.
Expert

@asndad wrote:
Do you have a line on your bill that shows a $10 HD fee? If not, you will not get HD. It does not matter if HD is part of your program package. You must pay a separate HD fee together HD on your Roku.

sorry but that isn't correct.  the Roku is running as a beta service (testing) and is cost free.  As customers, with HD service, the fee is included in the package or is a separate charge. At the current time, cable channels will not appear in HD without the separate code. at some point or when the beta program is over the HD will work with either entry.

Frequent Visitor

I’m not asking for HD I just want my SD stream to stretch to fit my screen. That’s not too much to ask.
Regular Contributor

For Comcast, yes, it is too much to ask. I have been asking for over a year now. The sad thing is, they even have to downgrade HD channels to SD because you do not have a separate charge on your bill.