Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Expert

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

mwookey wrote:

Question on latest roku devices - you mention support for the ultra (4640) the new version of ultra is the 4660 is this supported as you can't get the 4640 anymore

it appears the model number is the part that is important, later versions with letters are at least as good or better.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

roku xfinity stream beta

channel will not load...says channel install failed...could not add xfinity stream beta

Expert

Re: roku xfinity stream beta

xtimbob wrote:

channel will not load...says channel install failed...could not add xfinity stream beta

what model of Roku? 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

Hi,

The xfinity TV app here in 05340 shows PBS on channel 13, so the same as channel 6. NBC is nowhere to be found. Very disappointing on SNL night! Can you please fix this before next Saturday?

Thanks,

Misty. 

Expert

TravelingSoul wrote:

Hi,

The xfinity TV app here in 05340 shows PBS on channel 13, so the same as channel 6. NBC is nowhere to be found. Very disappointing on SNL night! Can you please fix this before next Saturday?

Thanks,

Misty. 

is it working today (chan 13 being wnyt) NBC in bennington? dateline is still on there for next 15 minutes (NBC live program)

New Poster

Re: roku app error (drm.-3)

Can you walk me through how to fix this error code please! I have an insignia Roku TV not working at all anymore. Drm-3 code... thanks
Expert

Re: roku app error (drm.-3)

Bpcapecod wrote:
Can you walk me through how to fix this error code please! I have an insignia Roku TV not working at all anymore. Drm-3 code... thanks

easiest would be to unplug the power supply to the TV for 30 seconds or more.

New Poster

Re: roku app error

I am still having the same errors.  Is there a timeframe for a fix on this?

Expert

Re: roku app error

DesertDawg wrote:

I am still having the same errors.  Is there a timeframe for a fix on this?

are you using a roku dongle? if so, remove the device from all connections (power and HDMI and after 30 seconds or more reinsert and power back up. did that make the device available again?

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Stream TV does not automatically switch to HD channels when added to favorites

When you choose a channel using the Roku app it will automatically switch to the HD channel instead of the SD. However, if you add the SD channels to the favorite's list it will not automatically switch to HD.

Frequent Visitor

Roku Xfinity Stream app constantly giving DRM error

For the past 2 weeks each time I try to tune into a live TV channel I get a DRM-3 error 3 or 4 times until it will finally show me the program. 

Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream TV does not automatically switch to HD channels when added to favorites

iceman413 wrote:

When you choose a channel using the Roku app it will automatically switch to the HD channel instead of the SD. However, if you add the SD channels to the favorite's list it will not automatically switch to HD.

are you reporting what you believe is a problem or do you have a question?

Expert

Re: Roku Xfinity Stream app constantly giving DRM error

iceman413 wrote:

For the past 2 weeks each time I try to tune into a live TV channel I get a DRM-3 error 3 or 4 times until it will finally show me the program. 

Hi, I moved your post to the Roku Mega-thread. are you using a roku dongle? if so, remove the device from all connections (power and HDMI and after 30 seconds or more reinsert and power back up. did that make the device available again?

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Stream TV does not automatically switch to HD channels when added to favorites

Sounds like you have the preference set to HD, iceman413

Official Employee

Re: Roku Xfinity Stream app constantly giving DRM error

iceman413, does this happen for all channels or just premium channels?

Frequent Visitor

Ken, is there an ETA for completing the beta and launching Xfinity Stream app for Roku as a product.
Do you know what will be offered?
Thanks (ps I like the beta so far)
Frequent Visitor

Does using the XFINITY TV Partner App: Beta – Roku count against my Internet data usage?

No, the Xfinity TV Beta App delivers an in-home cable service over Comcast's cable system, not over the Internet. Therefore, the Beta app usage will not be counted towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage.

To this statement, they said it wouldn't count against my data, well I used only this app in my by myself 7 days a week, (bad roomies) I have my own internet/WiFi I'm the only one connected. Though multiple devices, and by week three I learned about the data limit, because I apparently used 98% of a terabyte! I have capped this also using Netflix through the X1 DVR system. When ever I use a stream app through Xfinity that they offer by data doubles . And I was in the beta for only those 3 weeks. Because you say I won't get charged but billing HAS to charge you for that month, you may or may not get a refund for it in the next bill.
Expert

wrote:
Does using the XFINITY TV Partner App: Beta – Roku count against my Internet data usage?

No, the Xfinity TV Beta App delivers an in-home cable service over Comcast's cable system, not over the Internet. Therefore, the Beta app usage will not be counted towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage.

To this statement, they said it wouldn't count against my data, well I used only this app in my by myself 7 days a week, (bad roomies) I have my own internet/WiFi I'm the only one connected. Though multiple devices, and by week three I learned about the data limit, because I apparently used 98% of a terabyte! I have capped this also using Netflix through the X1 DVR system. When ever I use a stream app through Xfinity that they offer by data doubles . And I was in the beta for only those 3 weeks. Because you say I won't get charged but billing HAS to charge you for that month, you may or may not get a refund for it in the next bill.

the Xfinity stream app on the Roku only operates in your home and has no function available to you that uses 'internet' traffic that counts. The roku though has many apps available that do use your internet service. for youtube and netflix, depending on the settings at each provider, many continue to feed video even when you are not currently watching the Roku input port. be sure to "<==" out of all roku apps before changing to another source. I lost TV service for a day and streamed all day using the Roku and no increase of billed usage toward caps.

Contributor

That's funny, cause when I use just the xfinity app, my data use increases. I have logged off of all other apps and devices, yet, dada use is still used. Hate to tell you, the xfinity app can not use just cable over a Roku. It has to use the internet, as Roku uses a different is than xfinity, and must decode the app from their system, as they do with all other apps.
Expert

wrote:
That's funny, cause when I use just the xfinity app, my data use increases. I have logged off of all other apps and devices, yet, dada use is still used. Hate to tell you, the xfinity app can not use just cable over a Roku. It has to use the internet, as Roku uses a different is than xfinity, and must decode the app from their system, as they do with all other apps.

the roku (and desk/laptop and smart devices) using the Xfinity stream app connects via the home internet to Comcast's internal servers. it is that use that is not counted. a smart device could use internet by using the tvgo channels whereas the roku has no access to those channels nor any pay per view etc. yes the local router might 'count' the data used but Comcast has a zero rating of all the in-home Stream TV app data usage. 

Contributor

That's funny. Meanwhile, in the real world, us I g only one Roku, and only the xfinity app, with no other apps in use (all loved out), no other devices, data use increases acording to xfinity's data counter on their web page. Now, they claim anything theyg want, just as you pretend to know all about the Roku and Roku app, even though you have admitted to never owning a Roku device or ever using the app. This is from a person that does own a Roku (actually three if them), and have used the xfinity app on Roku. I know, if you want to claim to being a "Comcast expert" on the Roku app, go out and buy a Roku and use the app. Then you might see what people are talking or complaining about. Until then, I would suggest xfinity get a person with a Roku, that uses the app as the "Comcast expoert" moderator.
Expert

wrote:
That's funny. Meanwhile, in the real world, us I g only one Roku, and only the xfinity app, with no other apps in use (all loved out), no other devices, data use increases acording to xfinity's data counter on their web page. Now, they claim anything theyg want, just as you pretend to know all about the Roku and Roku app, even though you have admitted to never owning a Roku device or ever using the app. This is from a person that does own a Roku (actually three if them), and have used the xfinity app on Roku. I know, if you want to claim to being a "Comcast expert" on the Roku app, go out and buy a Roku and use the app. Then you might see what people are talking or complaining about. Until then, I would suggest xfinity get a person with a Roku, that uses the app as the "Comcast expoert" moderator.

I have a Roku now and use it to test and when my DVR could not connect to Comcast (modem was still fine). that put at rest, I have personally called before being an 'expert' and discussed data usage with the security department due to other posts and also to find out how and when out of home usage of the xfinitywifi/XFINITY SSIDs is added to the total usage. since then each and every test i've done (hours and hours on stream app in the home and the Roku app's Stream app all running at same time for hours and hours do not bump up my use as measured by the my account app on the internet tab. my usage is 200-280gb per month and that is with 2 24/7/365 manything cameras uploading live video to the cloud (does count toward the CAP).  

Frequent Visitor

That's a blanten lie. All I run is roku ... The red lines are when I watched over your beta app on roku, 1 roku. How is this possible?
Tags (1)
Screenshot_20180207-234649.jpg
Expert

wrote:
That's a blanten lie. All I run is roku ... The red lines are when I watched over your beta app on roku, 1 roku. How is this possible?

do you have set top box Xfinity service (x1)?

Contributor

Rusty, do you get free Comcast service for this? I hope not, as if you do, Comcast is waiting their resources. You first stated that the xfinity app did not use data due to using the cable conection, then changed and stated It does not count against your data cap. Neither of which is true. As shown, it is counted, and does use data. Regardless of what Comcast claims, and they make a lot of false claims (like basic 55Mbs speed that no one gets, ever), it does count and use data. Besides that, they claim to give you HD service to keep you (part of the "plan" you sign up for), but then, because it is not on your bill, you don't get it on the app. There is a reason they are the lowest rated TV service in the US.
Expert

wrote:
Rusty, do you get free Comcast service for this? I hope not, as if you do, Comcast is waiting their resources. You first stated that the xfinity app did not use data due to using the cable conection, then changed and stated It does not count against your data cap. Neither of which is true. As shown, it is counted, and does use data. Regardless of what Comcast claims, and they make a lot of false claims (like basic 55Mbs speed that no one gets, ever), it does count and use data. Besides that, they claim to give you HD service to keep you (part of the "plan" you sign up for), but then, because it is not on your bill, you don't get it on the app. There is a reason they are the lowest rated TV service in the US.

no don't get anything (well some grief from some users) for it. just retired and trying to be helpful. re: "HD" you must be speaking of the Roku beta stream TV? if so that is correct and is part of the beta program (free you know). typically you get 10-20% more provisioned for your speed.  An ethernet connected PC or a wifi 5ghz might show 120mghz speed test for a 100mghz line. what level of internet service do you have? (on your bill). No 'in-house' counts as long as the usage is on the home network and you are watching linear TV, on-demand, purchased, and recorded programs. internet apps and tvgo do count always on home network.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku--Beta Feedback

I definitely agree, very cumbersome to change channels on Live TV, impossible to channel up or down while watching Live TV.

No mute on Roku remote is bad feature, can live with that. On Live TV with all channels listed, no page down button only arrow down 1 channel at a time.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I very much agree, as an original Comcast customer (30 years) and on a fixed income why plan to implement a usage fee when I already have a cable box in my home. I can watch on my laptop, Droid phone and tablet with no addition cost using the xfinity X1 app but would have to pay a monthly fee for using the roku app? Come on Comcast - get real

New Poster

Agree - , allready paying for all their other equipment with high prices, plus if Comcast does charge for the Roku connectivity they most likely will have the other exorbitant outrages fees - sure glad AT&T Uverse is in the area.

Expert

wrote:

I very much agree, as an original Comcast customer (30 years) and on a fixed income why plan to implement a usage fee when I already have a cable box in my home. I can watch on my laptop, Droid phone and tablet with no addition cost using the xfinity X1 app but would have to pay a monthly fee for using the roku app? Come on Comcast - get real

the get real part is that we pay per TV connected outlet (like roku). exception is a desk/laptop that users the TV as a monitor (grandfathered in so far). 

New Poster

I don't mind paying a one-time fee, like the apps, but a recurring monthly fee plus taxes, surcharges etc - c'mon Comcast!!!!

Expert

wrote:

I don't mind paying a one-time fee, like the apps, but a recurring monthly fee plus taxes, surcharges etc - c'mon Comcast!!!!

Comcast has to pay for content that it sells to you (per TV connection outlet). no free lunch other than by antenna and over-the-air.

Expert
Moved:

Regular Visitor

DRM -3 Errors on Roku TV

I have the Xfinity app installed on two Roku devices in my home: a Roku stick and a Roku TV.  I have no problems with the stick. The TV, on the other hand, returns DRM -3 errors when I attempt to play any of the local broadcast channels (NBC, ABC, FOX and PBS).  It has no problem with the various cable channels nor, for some reason, the local broadcast CBS channel. I’ve tried the suggested rigmarole of signing out, uninstalling, unplugging the TV, etc to no avail. The attached photo shows the details on the TV. 800D7585-EBB5-4197-8989-834B164D33DD.jpegTV Info

Contributor

So Rusty, back to removing post that tell the truth? Again showjng you, nor Comcast want the truth told. Sort you ares to sensitive, as the post DID NOT use any foul language. If Comcast does not want to be told how poor their customer service is, they should improve it.
Expert

wrote:
So Rusty, back to removing post that tell the truth? Again showjng you, nor Comcast want the truth told. Sort you ares to sensitive, as the post DID NOT use any foul language. If Comcast does not want to be told how poor their customer service is, they should improve it.

required to remove posts that bypass the language filter as per the guidelines. the post can be made again without the creative use of not allowed language in this public forum. Letters that stand for not allowed words are also not allowed. 

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Re: ROKU

If you have Comcast, add the Xfinity (not Comcast) streaming app to your ROKU and all your channels will be available.
New Poster

Rustyben, I'm confused by your statement below.  If I have a Roku TV and additional Roku devices, can I rid myself of the costly set-top boxes?  And then just stream channels through my Roku's Channel Apps or Xfinity Beta?  Also, do I really need to continue to pay this high cost of cable TV service?  

I ask because here in Schuylkill Haven, PA we are charged outrageous prices, more than any other area, for cable programming.  When visiting my sister-in-law in TX, they also have Comcast, she moved to streaming and she was able to get her cable service for their main basic 14 OR 15 local channels FREE OF CHARGE.

Why does Comcast not just provide a STREAMING PACKAGE?

New Poster

I have a Roku TV and 2 Roku Devices for my other two rooms.  I do not use the Xfinity beta app.  It's much easier to just add the Channel Apps to my Roku and log in/activate via the channels website with my Xfinity Code.  While it does take a little time to add all the channels, it's so much more worth it, the picture quality, sound and streaming is much more consistent and solid.  Now, if only Comcast's would work on their infrastructure here in PA and update the internet service and their crappy Gateway equipment life would be heaven.  So tired of every morning getting up to find my Voice service not working, and my internet speed dropping down to 33 MPS when I'm paying for 100 mps, or crashing totally.  

Hey Comcast, Pennsylvania is a very large state and with your propensity to make those monopolistic backroom deals with County and Municipal Elected Officials, you should really start giving us the FULL SERVICE WE ARE PAYING FOR!.  My bill is now $232 per month for non-HD, non-X1 Service, just Premium Plus Internet, 220 non-HD Cable TV (although many of the "so called" 220 Channels are no longer available) and Voice Service which only works about 30% of the time.

It's time to bring back the server housing to Schuylkill County.  Pittsburgh is at the far western part of the state, some 5-6 hours and 300 miles away.  No really conducive to those of us in the Central and Eastern Part of the State.

New Poster

DarrellH

You don't need to use the Xfinity App for Local channels, just click on your local channels in your Roku Apps.

New Poster

RubyBen, Smitty885

If you have a Roku, suggest cancelling your HBO subscription through Xfinity and purchase through your Roku - IT'S CHEAPER!

BEST OF LUCK!

Silver Problem Solver

Unfortunately, some network apps are not authorized with Comcast on a Roku (in particular, Viacom networks like MTV, Nickelodeon, etc...) Local channels will depend on where you live and your local affiliate.

Contributor

Here is what you do, subscribe to justg internet w/ local channels. It cost around $60 and usually includes free HBO. Then subscribe to PS Vue, DirecTV Now, HULU live tv, or one of the o the streaming live TV services. All of th em start around $35 and go as high as $70, but that includes many premium channels. They all work better th gen Xfinity's app. Xfinity also stated they will charge per device, when their app get out of beta. Don't forget to fit rid of your overpriced set top boxes. Then for phone service get Magic Jack, at about $35 per year. You will save a ton, have better service, and at higher quality.
Contributor

Last time I used it, it worked fine. I currently use PS Vue on Roku. I have tried Hulu, but it did not like it, personal preference. Google "streaming live TV" to see a complete list of available services. Most allow a 3 day to 1 week free trial ( some even longer). All will save you money over Xfinity's best prices, allow you to drop service at any time (no contract), and change plans. Depending on your location, you can also get "free" TV from an antenna, and run it through an app on Roku. I have never friend it, but have read some good reviews? Again, so far, my personal preference is PS Vue 's $60 package. Has all of the channels I like to watch, stream is stable, has a good guide, and no contract. I also use Netfix and Amazon Prime, both on shared accounts to lower the prices (with family members).
Expert

@mmdonlon wrote:

Rustyben, I'm confused by your statement below.  If I have a Roku TV and additional Roku devices, can I rid myself of the costly set-top boxes?  And then just stream channels through my Roku's Channel Apps or Xfinity Beta?  Also, do I really need to continue to pay this high cost of cable TV service?  

I ask because here in Schuylkill Haven, PA we are charged outrageous prices, more than any other area, for cable programming.  When visiting my sister-in-law in TX, they also have Comcast, she moved to streaming and she was able to get her cable service for their main basic 14 OR 15 local channels FREE OF CHARGE.

Why does Comcast not just provide a STREAMING PACKAGE?

devices that connect to TVs have a charge monthly currently waived for Roku devices while in Roku beta testing. No comcast person has discussed pricing but some guesses have been made of $5 -$8 per month which is a few dollars cheaper than a companion set top box. Hope that answered your question.

New Poster

Re: Roku won’t allow download of xfinity stream beta app

I have the same problem with a roku 2 3100x running version 8 firmware. Every othwr streaming service works. Is it not compatible???
Expert

@Ramccreary wrote:
I have the same problem with a roku 2 3100x running version 8 firmware. Every othwr streaming service works. Is it not compatible???

hi, I moved your post to this maga-thread on the roku and streaming app. The model you listed is not currently allowed in the beta test (see page one first post on this thread for eligible models).

Official Employee

Hi @Ramccreary,

As mentioned by @mvenanzi

"Initially, the Xfinity Stream Beta app will only be available for use on the following Roku players: Ultra (4640), Premiere (4630), Premiere (4620), Express + (3710 and 3910), Express (3700, 3900), Roku TV (5XXX, 6XXX: Models within the 5000 and 6000 range), Streaming Stick + (3810), Streaming Stick (3600 and 3800), Roku 4 (4400), Roku 3 (4200, 4230), Roku 2 (4210). The Xfinity TV Beta channel will only appear in the channel store for eligible devices. Devices must be on minimum firmware version 7.5." 

You can find additional information at the following link:

XFINITY Stream Beta App on Roku FAQs 

New Poster

I just got Roku and downloaded the Xfinity Stream (Beta) app.  No issues per se, but I do notice that when I go to fast forward through commercials of a recorded program, that you can't see what you are fast forwarding through...you can only see the 'cursor' moving along the show time along the bottom of the screen.  This forces you to guess how long the commercial breaks are.  Is there a way to fix that?