Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Frequent Visitor

Re: Missing HD channels on Roku TV app

I think the Roku shows the most recent. I think it is cloud-based and only shows the recordings made since the latest sync up?
Frequent Visitor

@marjsdad wrote:
I think the Roku shows the most recent. I think it is cloud-based and only shows the recordings made since the latest sync up?

Do I have to force a sync?  If so how do I do this?  The Roku 'saved' doesn't show any of my DVR'd shows from my X1 (when the app originally came out it always showed my dvr'd shows).

Regular Contributor

Comcast Dan, I too have HD, and since it is free, the Comsast VS rep said the only way to have the code put on the account, it for me to pay for it. I really do not care to pay for a service I was told I would receive for free. That being said, why can't Comcast stretch the SD channels to fit the screen?
Expert

@vanadium wrote:

Hello, I am not sure if this is the correct thread.  I have X1, and have it succesfully linked with my Roku.  When the Roku app originally came out I had no troubles accessing my DVR'd shows on my Roku.  However, now my DVR'd shows do not show up.  There is a saved button on the Xfnity app on Roku, but it does NOT show my DVR'd shows from my X1.  

Anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?  

try logging out of the stream app, delete and reinstall and log in. did that fix the Roku saved shows problem?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@marjsdad wrote:

Roku is similar to the browser based stream, it is just the cloud DVR copies of recordings. If the cloud did not record it for some reason then it won't show up.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@vanadium wrote:

Hello, I am not sure if this is the correct thread.  I have X1, and have it succesfully linked with my Roku.  When the Roku app originally came out I had no troubles accessing my DVR'd shows on my Roku.  However, now my DVR'd shows do not show up.  There is a saved button on the Xfnity app on Roku, but it does NOT show my DVR'd shows from my X1.  

Anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?  

try logging out of the stream app, delete and reinstall and log in. did that fix the Roku saved shows problem?

Unfortunately this didn't fix it.  I called comcast and they have a LVL 2 rep looking into the matter as well.

Regular Contributor

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

I'm unable to play any live or On Demand content on my Roku Premiere+ running the 2.7 software.  Attempting to do so gives a "Sorry! Something went wrong. Please try again later. (Error DRM.-3)" message. 

I tried deleting the app and reinstalling, but that made no difference.   

Edit: Restarting the Premiere+ fixed this. 

Expert

@Morac2 wrote:

I'm unable to play any live or On Demand content on my Roku Premiere+ running the 2.7 software.  Attempting to do so gives a "Sorry! Something went wrong. Please try again later. (Error DRM.-3)" message. 

Sometimes DRM issues can be fixed by changing the HDMI port (if one is available) or unplugging and plugging in the HDMI connector 5-10 times (this tends to refresh the connection point for the plug/socket).

New Poster

So I've been using the beta app since about February. The video quality wasn't that great and got better a few months ago. Now for whatever reason the quality has gone down again. Watching sports is terrible, any fast movement and it gets super pixelated.
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info. I also deleted the app and reinstalled. As mentioned below, moved to another HDMI port, unplugged and replugged a few times. Then restarted my Roku streaming stick. Then it worked. Not sure which one was the right one. But it is working.

New Poster

When I try to add thge Xfinity app to ROKU, it acts like it is downloading the app, but does not download the app.

Please help.

New Poster

I can only see 15 channels in the live tv channel lineup. Tried disconnecting/restarting the roku, logging out and in again in the xfinity stream app, no luck. Called comcast and was told it would take a minimum of 4 days to get my issue resolved. Anyone has a solution for this?

A separate issue; I understand that comcast will charge for the use of each roku box after the beta trial ends. Where exactly are those charges coming from, since I am already paying broadcast fees and there is no hardware involved (no cable box)? They just charge you for an app that is supposed to be free?

Expert

@Terra1226 wrote:

I can only see 15 channels in the live tv channel lineup. Tried disconnecting/restarting the roku, logging out and in again in the xfinity stream app, no luck. Called comcast and was told it would take a minimum of 4 days to get my issue resolved. Anyone has a solution for this?

A separate issue; I understand that comcast will charge for the use of each roku box after the beta trial ends. Where exactly are those charges coming from, since I am already paying broadcast fees and there is no hardware involved (no cable box)? They just charge you for an app that is supposed to be free?

they are not charging you for a free app, you pay per TV connected (license contracts).

New Poster

New Roku stick - 

Also getting the same failed to load error post device authorization and some reference to Xfinity wifi which is not why it failed, that's simply a misplaced tag.

From what I could see the failure lies someplace in the area of post device authorization. The next step should be device addition and naming but the process never hands off to that step, instead the process stagnates and your app tells you it's an xfinity wifi error while a DRM error populates in the lower right hand corner (small text).

My quesiton to xfinity development is how does your application communicate my roku MAC address to the assignedhost database which defines devices within my profile? Because it appears when that step is supposed to happen it does not so that may be a good place to start troubleshoot/debug,

Cheers,

Jonathan

New Poster

Thank you for your reply Rustyben, however, I still don't understand why they have to charge you for every TV that is connected, since you do not use their equipment for said TV. Does the company also incur more fees if a customer has more than one TV?

Expert

@Terra1226 wrote:

Thank you for your reply Rustyben, however, I still don't understand why they have to charge you for every TV that is connected, since you do not use their equipment for said TV. Does the company also incur more fees if a customer has more than one TV?

for every outlet in the home that connects to a TV. you could connect (for example) a Raspberry pi 'PC' via HDMI and it would count as a streaming device not a TV since the TV would be the computer's monitor and allowed.

Frequent Visitor

I frequently have a black box pop up in the middle of the screen that says it's a DRM -3 error. After you press ok, it'll take you back to the guide, but you can still hear the channel and it won't let you click the show you want to watch. Only way to fix it is to restart the app, then the same error will come up 5 minutes later. I never experienced this issue until the April update, and I was using it almost every day. Some days I can watch TV fine for hours before it will pop up, but most of the time it happens shortly after starting a show.

I've tried the following:

- Reinstalled app

- Signed out and reconnected account

- Did a roku system restart

Any idea what the issue would be? I use a Roku Stick (3600R)

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Terra1226 wrote:

for every outlet in the home that connects to a TV. you could connect (for example) a Raspberry pi 'PC' via HDMI and it would count as a streaming device not a TV since the TV would be the computer's monitor and allowed.

I'm absolutely not following what your point is with this remark. Are you saying that in this configuration, of course you would not be charged a fee?

If this is the case, please try and explain the difference between the  Raspberry and a ROKU, which is a small computer hooked up to the TV by HDMI??? The only difference is that the ROKU is using a native app, while the Raspberry is using an app running on a server, delivered over a web page. They are both streaming identical content!

Expert

@plummerl wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Terra1226 wrote:

I'm absolutely not following what your point is with this remark. Are you saying that in this configuration, of course you would not be charged a fee?

If this is the case, please try and explain the difference between the  Raspberry and a ROKU, which is a small computer hooked up to the TV by HDMI??? The only difference is that the ROKU is using a native app, while the Raspberry is using an app running on a server, delivered over a web page. They are both streaming identical content!

under the current regulations, a desk/laptop PC has a primary or secondary option of HDMI monitor possible. Only the image would be shown sound is handled separately. A Roku is not a desk/laptop. google or go to amazon and google raspberry pi for info. Once you have cable tV service then the raspberry pi would work in your home for all channels or out of your home just as a tablet or mobile phone would with the exception that the desk/laptop/rasberry pi (counts as a desktop)  is allowed to connect via HDMI and not be in violation of the licensing rules. The Roku only will work in the customer's home with the customers own internet service.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Terra1226 wrote:

under the current regulations, a desk/laptop PC has a primary or secondary option of HDMI monitor possible. Only the image would be shown sound is handled separately. A Roku is not a desk/laptop. google or go to amazon and google raspberry pi for info. Once you have cable tV service then the raspberry pi would work in your home for all channels or out of your home just as a tablet or mobile phone would with the exception that the desk/laptop/rasberry pi (counts as a desktop)  is allowed to connect via HDMI and not be in violation of the licensing rules. The Roku only will work in the customer's home with the customers own internet service.

You keep quoting the "licensing rules". Please point us to them.

New Poster

I see same low quality problem on certain channels with OnDemand stuff.  For instance, if I play Outlander from Starz, looks great, but if I play ANY movie from Starz, looks terrible (and never changes).  And not just kinda terrible, but "can't even read the titles" terrible -- it is obviously stuck on the lowest possible resolution stream for some reason.  Saw the same thing with a few other channels like MoviePlex.  I haven't tested everything -- most stuff is fine, but certain channels just look terrible (at least for OnDemand -- have not tested live).

Expert

@werekop wrote:

I see same low quality problem on certain channels with OnDemand stuff.  For instance, if I play Outlander from Starz, looks great, but if I play ANY movie from Starz, looks terrible (and never changes).  And not just kinda terrible, but "can't even read the titles" terrible -- it is obviously stuck on the lowest possible resolution stream for some reason.  Saw the same thing with a few other channels like MoviePlex.  I haven't tested everything -- most stuff is fine, but certain channels just look terrible (at least for OnDemand -- have not tested live).

have you tried a temporary ethernet cable connection to the Roku to see if it improves? might be the TV is blocking the wifi signal.

Contributor

@werekop wrote:

Yeah, I have the same issue with Starz/Encore videos. Everything else is fine. I feel as if this is related to the fact you can't use the Starz app if you're a Comcast subscriber, because they have some on going issue like Disney and Amazon. Oh well, that's what we get for having Comcast. Oh wait, I mean that's what we get for the FCC not allowing actual competition.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@plummerl wrote:

What rustyben is trying to say in his usual inept way is the licencing agreement Comcast has with the channel providers dictates what devices their channels can be broadcast on and whether or not there should be a fee charged.

Comcast evidently claims their agreements mandate a fee be paid to broadcast them on Roku boxes meaning we have to pay a per Roku fee. No other cable company I can find charges for their Roku apps. We're already paying for content and we don't have to pay extra to use the Stream app on the computer or smartphones (although a lot of channels are not available on the smartphone app, Comcast must have the worst license negotiators in history).

Expert

adding.. I just played live Starz and on-demand paul blart: Mall cop all were fine on iphone/ipad/android phone and tablet.

Contributor

@Zapix wrote:

@werekop wrote:

Yeah, I have the same issue with Starz/Encore videos. Everything else is fine. I feel as if this is related to the fact you can't use the Starz app if you're a Comcast subscriber, because they have some on going issue like Disney and Amazon. Oh well, that's what we get for having Comcast. Oh wait, I mean that's what we get for the FCC not allowing actual competition.

I posted my experience before in http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/XFINITY-Stream-on-Roku/m-p/2902060#M7377.  Here is the most relevant remark about HD:

The HD resolution issue is not a SD channel being stretched to HD size.  It happens on several On Demand channels, but I have tried Starz the most.

If I select "Star Wars: The Force Awakes", I have a choice between HD and regular.  I select HD and the content is somewhat blurry.  This is the case for all movies I've tried on Starz On Demand except for "Traitor" which does appear sharp as expected for HD. Live content for Starz is always sharp

My Rokus are both connected using Ethernet cable, not WiFi.  The same movies that are not HD quality on Roku are HD quality viewiing on tv.xfinity.com portal over WiFi so this seems very specific streams provided the Roku app.

Expert

@tasewell wrote:

@Zapix wrote:

@werekop wrote:

I posted my experience before in http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/XFINITY-Stream-on-Roku/m-p/2902060#M7377.  Here is the most relevant remark about HD:

The HD resolution issue is not a SD channel being stretched to HD size.  It happens on several On Demand channels, but I have tried Starz the most.

If I select "Star Wars: The Force Awakes", I have a choice between HD and regular.  I select HD and the content is somewhat blurry.  This is the case for all movies I've tried on Starz On Demand except for "Traitor" which does appear sharp as expected for HD. Live content for Starz is always sharp

My Rokus are both connected using Ethernet cable, not WiFi.  The same movies that are not HD quality on Roku are HD quality viewiing on tv.xfinity.com portal over WiFi so this seems very specific streams provided the Roku app. 

and on your bill you have the 'HD technology fee $10 line?

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tasewell wrote:

@Zapix wrote:

@werekop wrote:

It states on my bill, "Includes Digital Preferred, ..., HD Technology Fee, ..."

Expert

@tasewell wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tasewell wrote:

@Zapix wrote:

@werekop wrote:

yeah same here so i would not have HD on all channels either (just local ones). Just part of the beta as they set up the 'permissions' per account I guess.

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tasewell wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tasewell wrote:

@Zapix wrote:

@werekop wrote:

yeah same here so i would not have HD on all channels either (just local ones). Just part of the beta as they set up the 'permissions' per account I guess.

I do get HD for Live TV and for On Demand content for other channels, both local and non-local, e.g., I get TCM on demand content in HD.  Hopefully, the inconsistencies will be worked out by the time the beta is done.

New Poster

Thank you workerdummy for a more clear explanation. Aren't broadcast fees already included in your monthly payment for whatever package you have? Why does Comcast have to charge you an additional amount of money per Roku device? If no other cable company charges you for using Roku, then it stands to reason that it is not the channel provider that demands these Roku fees, but Comcast, right?

Regular Contributor

Point well made. It us Comcast that wants more of your money, as they always do. They have a fee for everything under the sun. All I can say is, one, the app currently is terrible, as people that are suppose to get HD do not, unless they are billed extra for it. Two, the shrunken SD picture is ridicules. Three, if they think I will pay them more for the privilege of watching programming I already pay for, they are crazy. There are way too many options that are either free, or at a lower price than $10 they say they may charge per device. ( I have three Roku's that I stream on) And finally, as you can only stream over their internet, at your home, it does no good to have portable streaming devices.
Regular Contributor

@workerdummy wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

What rustyben is trying to say in his usual inept way is the licencing agreement Comcast has with the channel providers dictates what devices their channels can be broadcast on and whether or not there should be a fee charged.

Comcast evidently claims their agreements mandate a fee be paid to broadcast them on Roku boxes meaning we have to pay a per Roku fee. No other cable company I can find charges for their Roku apps. We're already paying for content and we don't have to pay extra to use the Stream app on the computer or smartphones (although a lot of channels are not available on the smartphone app, Comcast must have the worst license negotiators in history).

I'm not hearing from Comcast about agreements or licensing rules. Just Rustyben, who we now discover does not even own a ROKU, but apparently is an expert at it. Ponder this. Comcast pushed DTA's (SD & HD) onto us, after converting to pure digital. We pay a "rental" fee for using a DTA to provide the content that we pay to be delivered to our house, and this is for an adapter that Comcast owns. Replace the DTA with a ROKU, which we own, and they are still planning to charge us a usage fee to once again enable us to access the content that we pay to be delivered to our house. Apparently, I can watch the content on a computer (desktop or laptop) using my TV as a monitor for no cost???? OK.

Expert

@plummerl wrote:

@workerdummy wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

I'm not hearing from Comcast about agreements or licensing rules. Just Rustyben, who we now discover does not even own a ROKU, but apparently is an expert at it. Ponder this. Comcast pushed DTA's (SD & HD) onto us, after converting to pure digital. We pay a "rental" fee for using a DTA to provide the content that we pay to be delivered to our house, and this is for an adapter that Comcast owns. Replace the DTA with a ROKU, which we own, and they are still planning to charge us a usage fee to once again enable us to access the content that we pay to be delivered to our house. Apparently, I can watch the content on a computer (desktop or laptop) using my TV as a monitor for no cost???? OK.

The Roku is different from a DTA as it allows you to receive receiver all your linear channels, all the on-demand, and access to your own recordings as well as the guide. you can 'rent' the Companion or own your 'own' device and pay less (the Roku when it goes 'live') per TV per month. Here the DTAs are scheduled to be 6.95/month if i recall correctly which is pretty close to the companion price and closer still to the Roku. The 'need' that customers have is the wireless (no wires) connectivity. 

Expert
Moved:

Regular Visitor

I noticed that my Xfinity Stream Roku app received an update to version 2.1.5 yesterday (06/22/2017). Among the changes that I noticed are:

• A reordering of the widgets on the start screen
  • For Live TV, a number of new options, specifically:
    • Setting Filters for the TV listings: HD / CC / SAP / (can't remember the 4th choice)
      • Guide will only show the filtered results
    • Improved search capabilities:
      • Alpha and numeric searching
      • Search by channel number or channel name
      • Another search option I hadn't tried yet, possibly search for program title?

(That's all that I noticed in this update.)

Still on my (and many others' ) wish-list:

• Specifying favorite channels
  • Automatically go to last channel watched when selecting Live TV
  • Showing current program channel when searching the tv listings
  • Setting of program reminders for upcoming shows
  • Browse upcoming programs on a per channel basis, that is, switch between multi-channel grid view and single channel view with next several hours of programs listed

New Poster

I had hoped that the new update would fix the problems ive  been having. I haven't been able to watch live tv or on demand for about 3 days now. Everyday the ondemand has a different line up or just non existant. And of course this is a month that good old comcast overcharged me by nearly double, but thats another subject. 

Expert

@overchared wrote:

I had hoped that the new update would fix the problems ive  been having. I haven't been able to watch live tv or on demand for about 3 days now. Everyday the ondemand has a different line up or just non existant. And of course this is a month that good old comcast overcharged me by nearly double, but thats another subject. 

have you verified your Roku is on your home network? what error message do you receive when attempting to watch a local 'must carry' network channel?

New Poster

Re: roku app error

We get (Error DRM.-3) on everything thing we try to watch, Live TV or Demand.

Frequent Visitor

Still can't watch TV for more than 3 minutes without this error popping up... Would be cool if I could actually use this service. It seems to only happen when commercials start playing.

I frequently have a black box pop up in the middle of the screen that says it's a DRM -3 error. After you press ok, it'll take you back to the guide, but you can still hear the channel and it won't let you click the show you want to watch. Only way to fix it is to restart the app, then the same error will come up 5 minutes later. I never experienced this issue until the April update, and I was using it almost every day. Some days I can watch TV fine for hours before it will pop up, but most of the time it happens shortly after starting a show.

I've tried the following:

- Reinstalled app

- Signed out and reconnected account

- Did a roku system restart

Any idea what the issue would be? I use a Roku Stick (3600R)

Regular Visitor

I noticed on my Roku 3 that there is a bit of a performance hit when using "Search by channel number or channel name".

Navigating to numbers or letters seems labored.  However seems to be just fine on my other TV running a Roku Ultra.

Regular Visitor

I have been getting the same error over and over again. It has never worked for me on my Roku Ultra. My other roku is hit or miss. And comcast just increased my bill by another $10 a month for no known reason. Getting REALLY frustrated.

Expert

@hockeyfox wrote:

I have been getting the same error over and over again. It has never worked for me on my Roku Ultra. My other roku is hit or miss. And comcast just increased my bill by another $10 a month for no known reason. Getting REALLY frustrated.

last part first: call 800-Comcast and select billing and discuss with the billing department. explain just what you said and ask if there is a cheaper package for you (especially ask if the package includes nay equipment rental in the package price).

You didn't put in your post how your Roku devices are connected. If it is RF you might have a lack of signal or the TV itself is blocking the signal.  Does the Roku seem to have a signal level diagnosis? Some routers show signal strength on their menu system for connected wireless network devices.

Frequent Visitor

My HD Channels are missing in both the Roku Xfinity Stream app (beta) and web browers (both FF and Chrome).  With that said, I would suspect the problem is on the server side rather than an app / browser issue.  Good news is that the HD channels are present on the MobileApp version of Xfinity Stream (Android -- I don't Apple iOS).  If you use the Android Xfinity App to set up your Xfinity DVR channels, the recordings will show up on your Roku/Browser in HD.  The HD channels will still be missing but you can get the recorded HD streaming to your Roku.   Hope this help .. also hope that Xfinity can use this bit to issolate whatever issue is causing the HD to be removed from Roku and Brower interfaces.

Expert

@Satalink wrote:

My HD Channels are missing in both the Roku Xfinity Stream app (beta) and web browers (both FF and Chrome).  With that said, I would suspect the problem is on the server side rather than an app / browser issue.  Good news is that the HD channels are present on the MobileApp version of Xfinity Stream (Android -- I don't Apple iOS).  If you use the Android Xfinity App to set up your Xfinity DVR channels, the recordings will show up on your Roku/Browser in HD.  The HD channels will still be missing but you can get the recorded HD streaming to your Roku.   Hope this help .. also hope that Xfinity can use this bit to issolate whatever issue is causing the HD to be removed from Roku and Brower interfaces.

separating the issues: for the beta Roku program, currently no HD is given (other than local channels) unless there is a line on your Comcast bill that says you pay $10 for the HD technology fee. This is just part of getting the Roku connectivity ready for full release.

you can check to be sure you have all the channels that your package includes by opening on your android the Xfinity My Account app. select the TV tab and at the top is a link to touch to view all the channels in your package. If any are missing from that list, or if they appear in that list but your computer will not play those channels then contact 800-Comcast and select billing and ask them to check your account and if necessary perform a 'deep background account refresh'. Reply back to let us know what you found.

Frequent Visitor

actually, as of this morning.. the HD channels are now showing in the Roku App.  (Yes, I was referring to local and HBO channels) Thanks!

Regular Visitor

I have two older ROKU devices. When will you be offering this product across the entire ROKU platform?

Silver Problem Solver

@Mrwhitt wrote:

I have two older ROKU devices. When will you be offering this product across the entire ROKU platform?

It's quite likely older devices just do not have the horsepower needed to run the Xfinity software. Even on my Roku 4, it's not what I would call zippy.

Contributor

Not sure if I'm in the right place.  I just purchased a new Roku Express.  1) How do I get to the XFINITY TV Beta App?  From what I've read, Roku should have a "Channel Store", but it doesn't appear on my Roku screen(s).  A Comcast rep told me this app is no longer available.  True or false??  Thanx for your help/advice.

Frequent Visitor

You'll have to create a Roku account on their website and access the channel store there. Once you install it on the website, go to the roku settings and click Roku Update.

You can find the Xfinity app here

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-tv-beta