Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

New Poster

Re: ROKU: first HD channels disappeared, now PBS Create is gone

Yes, my HD channels disappeared as well. Very annoying!
Regular Contributor

Roku Streaming App - Search Channels With Letters

Similar to the X1 Platform where you can search for channels/content by typing in letters that the numbers coincide with...can you implement this on the Roku App?

So in the part where you enter a specific channel, you could display a keyboard with letters as an option to search for channels/content

Expert

@ejfranckowiak wrote:
Yes, my HD channels disappeared as well. Very annoying!

This Roku thread has several discussions about this. The general idea is that if you are paying for HD technology then you should have the full HD lineup in your subscription available with your Roku. If no HD technology paid/included on your account then no non-local HD is included. the HD for everyone on the beta has been changed to proper availability per your subscription.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Roku Streaming App - Search Channels With Letters

@computeronix15 wrote:

Similar to the X1 Platform where you can search for channels/content by typing in letters that the numbers coincide with...can you implement this on the Roku App?

So in the part where you enter a specific channel, you could display a keyboard with letters as an option to search for channels/content

hi, moved your post to the Roku thread. thank you for your suggestion.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Re: Roku Streaming App - Search Channels With Letters

Or be able to use the mic button (voice feature) to change channel pause rewind ff look for shows etc
Highlighted
New Poster

Unfortunately, this issue has not been resolved. The channel lineup on the Roku app still does not coincide properly with the subscription lineup. There was a time when channels were listed that we may have not subscribed to, but now there are channels missing.
Several people mentioned that they had received HD channels without the associated subscription but are no longer receiving those channels. Others, including myself, have HD channels as part of our package, (Digital Starter), which is correctly accessed through all other methods, i.e. cable box, cable card, Xfinity website, Stream TV app, but not the Roku app. It seems the issue has been ignored as we do not seem to show a separate line item for HD access on our bill.

As it was a working solution previously, it is obvious that some tinkering on the back end has broken our access. Whether this is related to the limitations of the Roku app being in-home only or supposedly data-free or even possibly the Stream rebranding, it is difficult to say. I am hoping that it will be fixed by the 2.0.x update, but as it isn't even recognized as an issue with the app itself, I don't have a lot of faith in that happening.
Regular Visitor

Steaming without TV service

After the beta is over will customers be able to stream to Rokus without having to have TV service? I have seen that streaming is available for computers, iPads and iPhones for an addional $15.00 a month. My TV and internet price is gettting out of hand. I have Blast 75 mbps with preferred double play and my bill just jumped to $192.00 and I have no premium channels and only 1 TV.

Expert

Re: Steaming without TV service

@jkweinberger1 wrote:

After the beta is over will customers be able to stream to Rokus without having to have TV service? I have seen that streaming is available for computers, iPads and iPhones for an addional $15.00 a month. My TV and internet price is getting out of hand. I have Blast 75 mbps with preferred double play and my bill just jumped to $192.00 and I have no premium channels and only 1 TV.

the Stream TV service (no set top boxes in home, internet only programming access) is available in a few areas. Contact 800-Comcast and select billing to find out if it is offered in your area. While it may not be available ask the billing representative to review your account options for opportunities/plans to save money on your monthly billing for services.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

@orejo wrote:

I am not sure where best to provide beta test feedback, so this thread seems like it will do the trick.  

• The number of clicks to get to a particular show in the On Demand menu is extremely high.  While I am dealing with it, this could be mitigated with the addition of a favorites menu that lists only shows identified as favorites.
  • I notice that my Roku has to do a complete restart frequently when I click the back button on the app to try and return to the previous screen.  I have not identified any other part of the pattern yet, beyond just the back button.
  • When watching Live TV, the TV listing does not refresh to the current time when you use the back button to return to the listings. This requires that you push back to the main menu and then reenter the TV listing page in order to get to the current shows.  This could be solved by updating the listings when the back button is used to return to them.
  • Could the Original Air Date be added to the TV listings in On Demand menus? It is very difficult to find where we left off in episodes based on the information that displays.
  • Is there a way to add an indicator if a show will have the restriction on fast fowarding?  This is an issue when selecting a show that I fall asleep to and then have no way to "finish" without starting all over

I have to say that while I am not a fan of the app structure or the requirement to pay for HD, I LOVE that I can stream TV without it counting against my data cap.  Our household flirts with the limit within 100 gigs each month and this app has dropped us to where that is no longer an issue.  Would I rather watch half the stuff on Hulu even with the commercials? Yep...it's a cleaner app and easier to use.  I even go to Hulu to identify what shows I haven't watched yet and then switch to Xfinity to search and watch them.  That said, as long as this does not hit my data cap I will continue to suffer through using it and hope it gets better as we provide feedback.

Another item I noticed is that channels show the SD cutoff version of the show in different ways.  CBS will leave it as HD size, so it fills the screen vertically but it cuts off the sides horizontally and we lose a portion of the image on each side.  ABC will shrink the view so that we have black screen on all 4 sides of the display, but the edges are not cut off.  Is there a way to set a preference for this?

I posted the other feedback items about a week ago and haven't seen any response or acknowledgement of feedback being received.  Anyone able to confirm that this beta test feedback is actually being picked up when posted in this thread?

Silver Problem Solver

Another item I noticed is that channels show the SD cutoff version of the show in different ways.  CBS will leave it as HD size, so it fills the screen vertically but it cuts off the sides horizontally and we lose a portion of the image on each side.  ABC will shrink the view so that we have black screen on all 4 sides of the display, but the edges are not cut off.  Is there a way to set a preference for this?

The 'windowbox' view is normal. First, you have a widescreen TV showing a 4:3 picture, so the sides are just blank. Then, the video itself is letterboxed, meaning the top and bottom are black. Most TV's should have a 'Zoom' mode that will fill the screen without any stretching (it simply cuts off the top and sides without doing any stretching. My Samsung calls it Zoom1). The Roku app has no way of doing that, as it's just sees a signal saying it's 4:3, so that is what it shows. It's the same for the regular cable box or a DTA. Here in Chicago, WBBM (CBS) does the same conversion of simply cutting off the sides of widescreen material. Most SD stations and cable channels tend to use letterboxing now.

New Poster

Along similar lines.....I have a comprehensive Xfinity TV and Internet package. My son, in college-living in a different state, would like to access the Xfinity App on his Roku. Is this possible? Would I be able to add a Comcast Internet line for him, under my       account, and accomplish this?

Silver Problem Solver

@gm65 wrote:

Along similar lines.....I have a comprehensive Xfinity TV and Internet package. My son, in college-living in a different state, would like to access the Xfinity App on his Roku. Is this possible? Would I be able to add a Comcast Internet line for him, under my       account, and accomplish this?

Does he live in a dorm, or in a private home/apartment? If it's something like a dorm, then probably not unless the school has one of those university deals. The Roku app must be used on a Comcast network that is tied to that address, and that address must have TV service, and the Roku will only have access to the TV services offered at that address.

As has been often stated, the Roku app is being designed as a cable box replacement, not a remote viewing app.

New Poster

@andyross wrote:

@gm65 wrote:

Does he live in a dorm, or in a private home/apartment? If it's something like a dorm, then probably not unless the school has one of those university deals. The Roku app must be used on a Comcast network that is tied to that address, and that address must have TV service, and the Roku will only have access to the TV services offered at that address.

As has been often stated, the Roku app is being designed as a cable box replacement, not a remote viewing app.

Thank you for your help! Sorry if my question was dumb, pretty new to this. It would be nice if it was designed in a way to make remote viewing convenient, however clearly that was not the goal here.

It is a private residence if that matters. I guess it hinges on whether the TV service I have could apply to his address- so probably not it seems. Anyhow, your perspective is much appreciated!

Contributor

App seems to be more stable the last few days. No errors have come up like normal.

Frequent Visitor

I used the app for the first time in a few weeks on Sunday.  I had to remove and re-add the app to get the latest version (1.1).  It wouldn't let me sign into the version I had (1.0).  It seemed to work fine for several minutes till I tried to watch a local channel, at which point I got the DRM 6 error.  I signed out and back in and didn't get the error again.

Along with my hope of a very cheap fee, if any at all, at the end of beta, is the desire for the app to work very smoothly and quickly like a normal STB.  You know, turn the TV on and boom, something to watch.

Expert

@nwikoff wrote:

I used the app for the first time in a few weeks on Sunday.  I had to remove and re-add the app to get the latest version (1.1).  It wouldn't let me sign into the version I had (1.0).  It seemed to work fine for several minutes till I tried to watch a local channel, at which point I got the DRM 6 error.  I signed out and back in and didn't get the error again.

Along with my hope of a very cheap fee, if any at all, at the end of beta, is the desire for the app to work very smoothly and quickly like a normal STB.  You know, turn the TV on and boom, something to watch.

the DRM is a connection to the device error (handshake for security). Try unplugging the cable (both ends) several times to clean and 'burnish' the metal to metal connections, and reboot the power on the TV and the Roku device leaving power (not on off switch) off for 30 seconds or so on each.

Expert
Moved:

Re: Roku streaming channels

New Poster

Re: XFINITY TV on Roku

Why is such a lag in the viewing of channels and sometimes my t.v. freezes
Contributor

@Mase21 wrote:
Why is such a lag in the viewing of channels and sometimes my t.v. freezes

Could be from poor wifi connection.

Frequent Visitor

Hi, I posted some of these previously, but after additional experience with the channel I decided to repost + add new items to help ComcastDan work with the developers to make XfinityTV more user-friendly for all of us.

BUG REPORT

• I don't know if this is a Roku issue or an issue with the XfinityTV channel beta, but every once in a while when pushing the "back" button on the Roku remote to exit a video stream, the entire Roku device reboots!  This has happened on all 3 of my Rokus (2's and 3's) that we use to watch TV in my house.
  • Emergency broadcasts make XfinityTV completely unusable until the broadcasts finally stop: after the message the screen goes black and does not continue the video stream, and exiting and going back in just triggers the emergency message again.
  • I have had to re-activate the Roku channel on all my Rokus more than once. One Roku I just had to do this twice on consecutive days (3/29 and 3/30)!
  • Sometimes the video feed gets choppy and eventually stops streaming. It works fine when you start up the channel again.  I have seen this behavior on more than one channel – like CNBC and CSN.

ENHANCEMENT REQUESTS

• General: Speed up access time to start up the Roku channel and access the channel grid, and refresh time for programming content to appear on the grid.
  • Channel grid: the content should refresh on a regular basis – at least every half-hour – to display new content.
  • Channel grid: remember the last channel you had viewed and jump directly to that channel when you next access the channel grid.  I hate starting at channel 2 again every time I open the app, and need to laboriously scroll down to the HD channels which start at 701 in my area.
  • Channel grid: The option to press the star button (*) to jump to a specific channel is great but should be available from any screen, not just the channel grid after you push the down arrow once.
  • Channel grid: We need a "favorite channels" option to select specific channels to build a custom channel grid.
  • On-Demand: We could use a “favorite shows” option to pull these up quickly in the on-demand section and be able to access past episodes.  This is one of the things the PS Vue does well.
  • General: Additional "filters" option to select specific channel types like HD-only - and build this into existing filters like Sports, as the current selection takes me to the SD channel by default (and who wants to watch sports in SD??).
  • Channel grid: Pressing the up and down buttons on the Roku should jump you to adjacent channels in the grid.
New Poster

Will the new 4/10/17 update mean we will be able to stream without having an in-home network cable box/internet? I do not understand how on my phone I can be on the app and not be connected to my in-home network, but it is fine. However, on roku you cant???

Silver Problem Solver

@nhgrahams wrote:

Will the new 4/10/17 update mean we will be able to stream without having an in-home network cable box/internet? I do not understand how on my phone I can be on the app and not be connected to my in-home network, but it is fine. However, on roku you cant???

The Roku app is being designed as a cable box replacement, not a remote viewing app. That is why it will be restricted to your home network.

New Poster

Thats dumb... Should have gotten the Apple Tv then to mirror stream my screen Smiley Sad

New Poster

Even with the new update coming on April 10th?

Silver Problem Solver

@nhgrahams wrote:

Thats dumb... Should have gotten the Apple Tv then to mirror stream my screen Smiley Sad

I'm not sure about Apple TV, but the Comcast apps on phones/tablets are typically blocked from mirroring to TV's.

New Poster

Yeah but on Apple TV you can just click "AirPlay" and it takes your computer screen and streams it to the TV screen with no cables. So then, I would be able to go into firefox/google chrome/etc and then the xfinity app... then scream live tv/everything else that way

Contributor

@nhgrahams wrote:

Yeah but on Apple TV you can just click "AirPlay" and it takes your computer screen and streams it to the TV screen with no cables. So then, I would be able to go into firefox/google chrome/etc and then the xfinity app... then scream live tv/everything else that way

Xfinity Stream can be used in the home and outside of the home. When using it outside of the home not all of the channels are available. (Xfinity Stream App and Website).

Xfinity Stream App for Roku is in home only. 

Comcast does offer a Streaming service in a few select markets and will expand out this year.

Screen mirroring with the Xfinity stream app doesn't work atleast on Android. I haven't tried doing it via web browser. 

New Poster

so i've been using the app happily for a couple weeks.... until a few days ago. all of a sudden, it's signed me out and whenever i sign back in a message pops up that says "xfinity tv beta is available to those who have xfinity wifi. you can enjoy tv go in your ipads, blah blah blah." then i have no choice but to press "okay" and it exits me out and takes me to the homescreen.

i'm just not sure what's going on. i am signed into my home xfinity wifi on the roku and the app worked before. the on demand always froze ten minutes into any show but the live tv worked. now, nada.
Regular Visitor

From what I'm reading, it looks like most of you can at least access the app. I have several Roku 3's on my home wifi network. When I try to use the app initially I get the message "This device can only access XFINITY TV on your in-home XFINITY WiFi. Use the app on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to watch on the go, any time you like",with only an Exit App button. On the bottom right of the screen is displayed (Error createDrmSession.403-102). I have reset my modem back to factory defaults, recreated my wireless SSID, and contacted Comcast tech support to ensure that the correct MAC address of my modem is associated with my account. My modem is an Arris SBG6580. My Android phone works fine except for the known local channel access issue. All three Roku's exhibit the same behavior.I have unistalled and reinstalled the app several times. I have spent hours on the phone trying to talk with someone in a higher level support capacity, as I have been doing IT for over twenty years and am gettting frustrated with Level One tech scripts. ANy one have any suggestions?

New Poster

i keep getting the same welcome message as well "this device can only access xfinity wifi blah blah blah"
Silver Problem Solver

@customer9900 wrote:
i keep getting the same welcome message as well "this device can only access xfinity wifi blah blah blah"

There are numerous posts about this. I think the core issue is that your cable modem/gateway isn't properly linked to your video account. I think it's something you have to call Comcast about to have them check.

Regular Visitor

I would be happy to try this suggestion if I though that a Comcast tech would have any idea what this means
Frequent Visitor

This has happened several times,  I am watching live TV on the Xfinity Roku App and I click the home button on the Roku to goto another roku app and I can see hear the audio from the Xfinity Live TV playing even thought I am on the Roku homescreen.  I have to reboot the Roku to resolve it.

New Poster

@ComcastDan wrote:

If anyone who lost access to HD channels in the Roku app can send me a private message with a screenshot of their bill showing "HD Technology fee" listed as part of their service, I would be happy to have someone investigate.  The rate code in the billing system is what drives the availability of HD channels in the Roku app. If you don't have this fee listed and would like access to HD channels, please contact our customer service specialists at 800-XFINITY.

For example, the image below from my bill shows the fee listed within the "TV" section.

HD_Fee.jpg

Hi, ComcastDan. I've seen you say many times that the Roku app looks for evidence of the HD technology fee on a subscriber's bill to activate the option for the app to transmit HD programming, so I guess it's true that that's how the app is programmed.

The problem from my perspective is that doesn't capture all of the Comcast customers who are legitimately receiving HD programming on their in-home devices. I have CableCards in TiVos and they receive HD programming as defined in my cable lineup (I believe the FCC requires the CableCards in the customer-owned devices to tune all channels in the subscriber's lineup) without a separate HD programming fee on my bill. As further evidence, in the TiVo's Xfinity OnDemand menus I can select to watch SD or HD versions of OnDemand programming.

So it appears that the Roku requiring the additional fee is inconsistent with how other customer-owned equipment is handled. It seems to me that if I can tune to an HD channel and watch an HD OnDemand program on my TiVo I should be able to do the same on my Roku with the Xfinity app. But right now I can only watch SD programming through the Roku.

Regular Contributor

@pdhenry wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

If anyone who lost access to HD channels in the Roku app can send me a private message with a screenshot of their bill showing "HD Technology fee" listed as part of their service, I would be happy to have someone investigate.  The rate code in the billing system is what drives the availability of HD channels in the Roku app. If you don't have this fee listed and would like access to HD channels, please contact our customer service specialists at 800-XFINITY.

For example, the image below from my bill shows the fee listed within the "TV" section.

HD_Fee.jpg

Hi, ComcastDan. I've seen you say many times that the Roku app looks for evidence of the HD technology fee on a subscriber's bill to activate the option for the app to transmit HD programming, so I guess it's true that that's how the app is programmed.

The problem from my perspective is that doesn't capture all of the Comcast customers who are legitimately receiving HD programming on their in-home devices. I have CableCards in TiVos and they receive HD programming as defined in my cable lineup (I believe the FCC requires the CableCards in the customer-owned devices to tune all channels in the subscriber's lineup) without a separate HD programming fee on my bill. As further evidence, in the TiVo's Xfinity OnDemand menus I can select to watch SD or HD versions of OnDemand programming.

So it appears that the Roku requiring the additional fee is inconsistent with how other customer-owned equipment is handled. It seems to me that if I can tune to an HD channel and watch an HD OnDemand program on my TiVo I should be able to do the same on my Roku with the Xfinity app. But right now I can only watch SD programming through the Roku.

I was wondering why a large number of channels were missing.  And you are correct in that many people get HD without paying the $10 HD tech fee which was designed to pay for the increased cost of renting a HD box from Comcast. I'm pretty sure even the iOS app has HD video without needing the HD fee. 

It it seems like the Roku app is really being treated as another cable box which is why there will be an outlet fee and HD fee when this leaves beta.  

New Poster

I am experiencing similar issues on my Roku TV. It takes forever for the app to load, channels to lead. The video quality is standard not HD. I get better quality videos from Netflix and hulu.

The app on my phone works well, pic is clear so I think its a TV thing.

Also, I am trying the beta but if I have to pay for this app afterwards especially with the current quality I wouldn't waste my money. There is no hardware to rent and the app on my phone is free so the app for the tv should as well. It will be the only way to compete in the current market.

Also the app causes my TV to freeze and reset every time I try to use or exit the app. There seems to be many bugs.
New Poster

It's ridiculous that they would charge additional fee for HD streaming. Both Netflix and hulu stream everything in HD. The quality I've seen so far brings me back 15 years. Fuzzy quality. It's not my net connection because all other apps are fine. It's a great concept just needs alot of work.. and comcast needs to stop being so greedy. They only reason I have them is because of the speed of the net. If it were up to me I would never use comcast again due to such high pricing. As soon as I can switch to fiber its done. And this whole data junk is insane. When it first started I used half of the data. Then out of nowhere with no change of usage I suddenly hit full data every month. Something fishy is going on there.
Expert

@Venessa711 wrote:
It's ridiculous that they would charge additional fee for HD streaming. Both Netflix and hulu stream everything in HD. The quality I've seen so far brings me back 15 years. Fuzzy quality. It's not my net connection because all other apps are fine. It's a great concept just needs alot of work.. and comcast needs to stop being so greedy. They only reason I have them is because of the speed of the net. If it were up to me I would never use comcast again due to such high pricing. As soon as I can switch to fiber its done. And this whole data junk is insane. When it first started I used half of the data. Then out of nowhere with no change of usage I suddenly hit full data every month. Something fishy is going on there.

your mobile device is covered in the contracts with the providers. displaying on a TV screen is by negotiated by device. If you wish to connect using a desk/laptop to the TV via HDMI that is currently allowed and free.

The beta test is on operation, and discussion of possible future costs is outside of the beta discussion.

Expert

@Venessa711 wrote:

you either contribute to pipe development to deliver HD and beyond or you do not. If you are not paying for HD then you don't get HD beyond local channels.

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@Venessa711 wrote:

your mobile device is covered in the contracts with the providers. displaying on a TV screen is by negotiated by device. If you wish to connect using a desk/laptop to the TV via HDMI that is currently allowed and free.

The beta test is on operation, and discussion of possible future costs is outside of the beta discussion.

But even connecting an external screen to a laptop could be blocked. Not sure about Xfinity TV on a PC, but some services do that. A regular 'desktop' PC with the TV as the only screen may work.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Venessa711 wrote:

you either contribute to pipe development to deliver HD and beyond or you do not. If you are not paying for HD then you don't get HD beyond local channels.

"Pipe development", what on earth are you talking about???? Comcast's "pipe" is way over the capacity to deliver HD. I'm pretty sure that it was "developed" long ago.

Expert

@plummerl wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Venessa711 wrote:

"Pipe development", what on earth are you talking about???? Comcast's "pipe" is way over the capacity to deliver HD. I'm pretty sure that it was "developed" long ago.

pipe is all the equipment for QAM and streaming. Upgrades in technology cost money. those wanting only SD don't have to contribute the HD fee for network improvement and costs related to HD.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Venessa711 wrote:

pipe is all the equipment for QAM and streaming. Upgrades in technology cost money. those wanting only SD don't have to contribute the HD fee for network improvement and costs related to HD.

Please, I know what a "pipe" is with respect to QAM and streaming. "The pipe", was already established long ago to support HD and streaming at very high rates (much more than is required for HD content) has also been around for a considerable amount of time. Adding HD to your TV content, entails no additional cost from an infrastructure point of view.

Regular Contributor

Actually, while I get HD on my cable box, I do not get HD on the Roku app. Not even local. I was told it is because I get HD for no cost due to my agreement with Comcast to get me to sign up for another year. They have an issue. My local channels only broadcast in HD, so Comcast has to downgrade the feed to send it out as SD. Again, this nonsense concerning a "pipe" for HD service to be transmitted is BS.
Expert

@asndad wrote:
Actually, while I get HD on my cable box, I do not get HD on the Roku app. Not even local. I was told it is because I get HD for no cost due to my agreement with Comcast to get me to sign up for another year. They have an issue. My local channels only broadcast in HD, so Comcast has to downgrade the feed to send it out as SD. Again, this nonsense concerning a "pipe" for HD service to be transmitted is BS.

Questions are answered as best as possible based upon the given information. The issue of a working Roku that does not get HD while the set top boxes do (disregarding local channels) needs another check for problem resolution. using a smart app and the Xfinity Stream TV app or the web browser TV streaming site and tune to a cable HD channel (for example Syfy HD). on the mobile device or desk/laptop is that channel presented in HD?

Frequent Visitor

It seems Comcast created more problems for itself by removing the HD feature for those not expressedly paying for it on their bill. HD comes standard with any streaming service! Comcast knows that there is no real reason to charge for HD anymore, they just can't do without the extra cushion of income they rake in by charging an absurd fee for something so standard in this day and age.

Regular Contributor

I get HD on the Android app, on the Windows application, and on my cable box. My local channels only broadcast in HD, as required by the FCC. Yet, the Roku app only has SD, except for HBO. Also, Comcast's SD dose not "fill" the screen, another issue. I had it fixed after a three hour call to tech, then after they updated the app, boom, HD gone again. Another three hour tech call, and they tell me the Roku app will only alow HD for those paying for HD or showing an HD feed, yet many people do not have that on their bill due to agreement with Comcast, such as myself. I believe it is a programming issue. They need to get the programmer to fix it, but that person is too busy to help out customers. I understand how much Comcast dislikes their customers, hence they always have such a bad reputation.
Expert

@DarrinCanote wrote:

It seems Comcast created more problems for itself by removing the HD feature for those not expressedly paying for it on their bill. HD comes standard with any streaming service! Comcast knows that there is no real reason to charge for HD anymore, they just can't do without the extra cushion of income they rake in by charging an absurd fee for something so standard in this day and age.

it appears that the Roku is to have the same channel availability that a set top box would have in the home. My guess is that this is to meet the terms of contracts between Comcast and the providers/owners of the entertainiment programs. 

Expert

@asndad wrote:
I get HD on the Android app, on the Windows application, and on my cable box. My local channels only broadcast in HD, as required by the FCC. Yet, the Roku app only has SD, except for HBO. Also, Comcast's SD dose not "fill" the screen, another issue. I had it fixed after a three hour call to tech, then after they updated the app, boom, HD gone again. Another three hour tech call, and they tell me the Roku app will only alow HD for those paying for HD or showing an HD feed, yet many people do not have that on their bill due to agreement with Comcast, such as myself. I believe it is a programming issue. They need to get the programmer to fix it, but that person is too busy to help out customers. I understand how much Comcast dislikes their customers, hence they always have such a bad reputation.

when you see a program in SD that is 'postage stamped' (curtains all around) notice if the channel icon and captions (if turned on) appear within that 'stamp' frame. If so, the SD channel is broadcasting with AFD (automatic Format Descriptor) metadata that the broadcaster (if local) honors (processes the instructions) or ignores (postage stamp or even a square).

Comcast as well as other cable providers will probably process this data properly in the future during the recoding process as equipment is upgraded. If you google the AFD term there are many articles explaining it. TVLand has completed conversion but Comcast is not passing the AFD instruction to the x1 set top boxes nor to any streaming apps recoding process.

the purpose of AFD is to give you wide near-full screen images for older 4:3 (using pan and scan) and actual full screen for content originally in 16:9. The same SD channel showing an original movie in 2:39:1 format will appear full screen horizontally with a small top and bottom curtain even though it is in SD format. look at MeTV or Movies! or Antenna TV (usually local broadcast) to see AFD properly processed screens.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, and there lies the problem. Everything streamed on Roku is HD or better. This Beta stream that Comcast provides is not up to par because they wish consumers to view their entertainment according to their archaic contract terms which requires people to pay to "upgrade" to HD. No one else does this. It's embarrassing.