Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

@bdw4791 wrote:

@kad392002 wrote:

I just rechecked my newest bill and I am definitely a digital preferred tv subscriber.  

If HD service is included in the Digital Preferred package at no additional charge and that is why there isn't an HD fee on your bill it might help if you would explicitly state that. Unless you are trying to make ComcastDan look stupid or something.

The SD/HD problems with the app go beyond just account issues.  ComcastDan confirmed my account was correct on 3/1, but the app does not provide HD channels, despite STBs working correctly.

Contributor

@mark.bidewell wrote:

@bdw4791 wrote:

@kad392002 wrote:

I just rechecked my newest bill and I am definitely a digital preferred tv subscriber.  

If HD service is included in the Digital Preferred package at no additional charge and that is why there isn't an HD fee on your bill it might help if you would explicitly state that. Unless you are trying to make ComcastDan look stupid or something.

The SD/HD problems with the app go beyond just account issues.  ComcastDan confirmed my account was correct on 3/1, but the app does not provide HD channels, despite STBs working correctly.

Thats nice. I never said that the SD/HD problems with the app do not go beyond just account issues. If you read the context of the entire discussion kad392002 complained that he is eligible for HD but is not getting it on the Roku app. Then ComcastDan responded that he checked kad392002's bill and saw no HD fee. Then kad392002 responded that he checked his most recent bill and is definately a Digital Preferred TV subscriber(seeming to imply that Digital Preferred TV plan includes HD at no additional cost thus no need for an HD fee on the bills that ComcastDan checked(this is the only thing my comment was meant to respond to). 

So I am glad Comcast Dan confirmed your account was correct and I'm sad you are not getting HD channels on Roku despite STB working correctly. But wth does that have to do with my comment?

Contributor

The Digital Preferred Package has been mentioned several times in this thread.  The package predates the HD Technology Fee, and I believe used to include HD.  Could it be that older package entitlements are not being honored by the app?

Regular Contributor

Not to be mean or anything like that but, there is a known issue with accounts. As I have posted before, you need to call comcast tech support, and explain the issue. You will need to escalate the call to app support team. Have them look closely at your account setup and programming. It took 5 days to fix my account. They said my app account was mistaken as a "national" account accidently. This caused no HD, HBO did not work properly, and many issues with on-demand. I had to talk to a tech for over three hours. The tech added a test sign on, and verified the issue. That was the only way I got it fixed.
Contributor

Need to be able to access menus, especially live channels guide, without exiting from what you are watching.
Contributor

@asndad wrote:
Not to be mean or anything like that but, there is a known issue with accounts. As I have posted before, you need to call comcast tech support, and explain the issue. You will need to escalate the call to app support team. Have them look closely at your account setup and programming. It took 5 days to fix my account. They said my app account was mistaken as a "national" account accidently. This caused no HD, HBO did not work properly, and many issues with on-demand. I had to talk to a tech for over three hours. The tech added a test sign on, and verified the issue. That was the only way I got it fixed.

Out of curisosity, in your conversation, did they indicate if you were entitled to HD independent of the national account issue?  Also, did you have access to local channels (in either SD or HD) prior to resolving the problem?

Regular Contributor

I lost all local and HD service, as well as some HBO channels. I talked to a tech named Devin, out of Colorado. He got the issue fixed. He is the one that said my account was programed as "national ". Just relating what was told to me. What is best is, after 3 hrs on the phone and 5 days for repair, it is now working. Remember, try to get them to escalate your call.
Contributor

@asndad wrote:
I lost all local and HD service, as well as some HBO channels. I talked to a tech named Devin, out of Colorado. He got the issue fixed. He is the one that said my account was programed as "national ". Just relating what was told to me. What is best is, after 3 hrs on the phone and 5 days for repair, it is now working. Remember, try to get them to escalate your call.

Thanks, I'll have to check if I any access to local channels via the App (I assume you mean ABC, CBS, NBC, etc)?

Contributor

Can anyone tell me what's up with the NBA channel and NHL channel? I never subscribed to either one but they showed up and work on the app about the same time I lost HD . I hope I am not paying for them.

Contributor

Lonniew wrote:

Can anyone tell me what's up with the NBA channel and NHL channel? I never subscribed to either one but they showed up and work on the app about the same time I lost HD . I hope I am not paying for them.

I am getting the NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice as well. I have spoken to Comcast sales reps and also tech support and both told me that I am not subscribed to them or paying for them so not to worry about it. But no explanation for why they are there. I just signed up for TV service this past Saturday. I had only internet prior to that. I signed up for the Internet Plus plan which is Performance 25 internet with Limited Basic TV including Showtime at no additional cost. I also signed up for HD service. I am getting HD channels on the Roku app no problem. For some reason CSPAN 2 and 3 are showing up in my live channels guide although they do not work and are not a part of the Limited Basic plan. CMT Music is also in my guide but will not work although I am getting CMT on demand content on the Roku app and the live CMT Music channel is working fine on the Android and web apps.

Just to be safe you should call Comcast and verify that you are not subscribed to the NBA and NHL channels and are not paying for them. 

***Update*** NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice now still showing up in my live channel guide but without content. There is a phone number being advertised to call and subscribe to them.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yes, all local, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and all of the non-network channels like local TBN.
Contributor

@asndad wrote:
Yes, all local, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and all of the non-network channels like local TBN.

Thanks,  I'll check that out and report back.

Contributor

@mark.bidewell wrote:

@asndad wrote:

Thanks,  I'll check that out and report back.

I have local channels but only in SD.  I don't have premium subscriptions so I can't test that.

Contributor

I dont mind the solution to the HD filter being to add a HD preference when selecting an SD channel, and I can deal with not having a favorites filter since I have the Limited Basic plan with so few channels. But people with more channels are definately hoping for at least a favorites filter if not an HD filter as well.

And I will reiterate that there really needs to be the ability to browse menus, especially the channel guide, without exiting from what you are watching. It really should be like the X1, but as a Roku app. People do not like switching inputs and that is primarily why I like this app. I even have a Universal Remote. I just do not like having to switch inputs. Its bad enough that Roku isnt capable of continuing to listen to music outside of the music apps. I loved my Android TV box if only it had all the channels Roku has and the cjannels it had worked better. Dont be like Roku. Make an app you can truly be proud of.
Contributor

I will be honest with you. I am so excited to have my cable TV box delivered tomorrow to find out if my problems with the Roku app are due to not having it, that I bought 2 24 oz Milwaukees Best Ices to get buzzed and help time pass and help me sleep. Otherwise I will be up all night anticipating the delivery like I was up all night as a kid anticipating the next days trip to Cedar Pointe. Thank Odin for beer. Or bacchus or whoever. I just want to find out if I did all this posting in vain and should have just waited on the cable box.
New Poster

Everything was running fine but about a week ago the basic hd channels such as abc hd cbs hd and etc which are normally found in the 800's have disappeared off of the tv guide..it jumps from the end of the 700's to the 900's.nor can you access them by typing in the number...I could however access them in last watched but of course they get bumped off if start watching a new variety. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app to no avail as a last ditch effort...so now even last watched is useless.

Contributor

@Bird85 wrote:

Everything was running fine but about a week ago the basic hd channels such as abc hd cbs hd and etc which are normally found in the 800's have disappeared off of the tv guide..it jumps from the end of the 700's to the 900's.nor can you access them by typing in the number...I could however access them in last watched but of course they get bumped off if start watching a new variety. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app to no avail as a last ditch effort...so now even last watched is useless.

FWIW, I just got off a chat with (supposedly the Roku App Team).  They stated they are very aware of the issue.

Regular Contributor

I won't deny, I still wish I could beta test this Xfinity/Roku app without a cable subscription, and only my Comcast Internet subscription.

I know ultimately, at least last I heard, once the product goes live I will be able to purchase the streaming service for ~$14.99 being only an Internet customer. I wish I could help test that out now during the beta phase, since my setup will be an exact replication of what was advertised as a service to people who are not cable TV subscribers.

I have the app installed on my Roku, and am signed up and accepted into the beta program, and can login to the app, but have no real functionality within the app. I was told by ComcastDan that since we currently do not have a cable tv subscription, we cannot actively participate in the beta. Perhaps that will change?

Here's hoping. Regardless, we are really looking forward to this streaming-only option without a cable subscription once it goes live.

Frequent Visitor

I don't subscribe to HD and all I get is this stupid horrible square box in the middle of my tv for watching in SD??? This is rediculous. I'll just stick to HBO Go, Showtime anytime, nbc, fox etc.. apps to watch my subscribtion in HD. They don't hold out on you in their apps on the roku. I'm not paying $10 dollars for the rest of my life for HD.

Contributor

Interesting. I just got and hooked up my cable box. But there has been a TV outage in my area since yesterday so I wont be able to see if the same problems I have on the Roku app occur on my box until the outage is over. But what puzzles me about this is that if we are not using internet data with the Roku app and it is using the TV signal then why with a TV outage in my area is the Roku app working at all, albeit with the problems I previously described?
Contributor

@bdw4791 wrote:
Interesting. I just got and hooked up my cable box. But there has been a TV outage in my area since yesterday so I wont be able to see if the same problems I have on the Roku app occur on my box until the outage is over. But what puzzles me about this is that if we are not using internet data with the Roku app and it is using the TV signal then why with a TV outage in my area is the Roku app working at all, albeit with the problems I previously described?

If I understand correctly,  the TV data travels over a private IP network,  A TV outage could be caused by any number of devices not involved in delivering IP data to you.

Contributor

@mark.bidewell wrote:

@bdw4791 wrote:

If I understand correctly,  the TV data travels over a private IP network,  A TV outage could be caused by any number of devices not involved in delivering IP data to you.

Yeah I wish I knew the meaning of all the technical jargon but I do not. Just wondering out loud. 

Update: I called the number I was given Monday night. It was not "app support" I was speaking to as the TV technician told me, it was "advanced repair". This guy today tried to check the on demand problems on his end but told me they were having issues with the Roku device in their lab. He did say that what I am getting on the Android and web app is what I should be getting on the Roku app. I am getting Showtime and PBS on demand on the Android and web apps but not on the Roku app. There is still a TV outage in my area since yesterday for whatever that is worth. I also asked this guy about the issue I heard about on this Comcast feedback forum regarding the app accounts being designated as national accounts and all I got from this guy was a lecture on trusting what I read on the internet. I did tell him I am not calling him or "them" a liar, and that the source named a person working for Comcast who helped him with the issue. He just kind of ignored me. So much for customer service. LOL

New Poster

Are the TCL 3750 series Roku TVs supported?
Regular Contributor

My X1 STB died the other night and I was forced to use my Roku to watch an OnDemand program that didn't get recorded.  As a few weeks ago, I was amazed at how much more responsive it was than with the X1 STB.  When I pressed "pause," it would actually pause rather than go on for another 10-15 seconds before pausing.  Same with resume, fast forward, etc.

Too bad they're going to charge for the additional outlet.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

You guys really should make this available on outside the home internet source's(hotel, friends, hospital). Seems pointless to only use in home when you have a cable box already. Would imagine this would be the first issue addressed. Would be 5star with that.
Contributor

To everyone who has SD/HD issues,   I tested tonight and I have what appears to be some HD back.  The 800 Block is not there, but some SD channels appear to auto tune HD (i.e. they fill the screen).  I don't see the "format" option in settings so perhaps this is a fluke.

EDIT, after some more checking, it seems that, strangely, only FX was in HD.

Regular Contributor

@OrMeanGene wrote:
You guys really should make this available on outside the home internet source's(hotel, friends, hospital). Seems pointless to only use in home when you have a cable box already. Would imagine this would be the first issue addressed. Would be 5star with that.

It's definitely not pointless if you want to have access to content on TV's without running cable all over the house. What will be pointless is if a monthly charge is unveiled when the channel emerges from BETA.

Contributor

Spoke to a Tier 3 tech tonight about issues(no Showtime and PBS On Demand) with beta app. I read her verbatim asndad's posts here concerning "national" app accounts. She ignored me and went about checking whatever she checked. She then checked if anyone else was reporting not getting Showtime and PBS on demand content on the beta app and found no other reports of it. She then tried to replicate the problem on their Roku and was not having same problems. She then said that she did find that there is "noise on the line" and wanted to send a tech out to my home to look in to that because that will have to be dealt with before the ticket gets sent to the next tech Tier. I told her a tech was already scheduled to be coming out Thursday for a TV box activation issue and she said to tell him to check for "noise on the line" also. I asked her if "noise on the line" would also be causing me to get CMT on demand on the Roku app. She said "It could. I've seen some weird things with noise on the line. But we are mainly concerned with channels you are not getting and not with channels you are not supposed to get." So I said "Ok. But what if they are related?" She then said "I will note that you are getting CMT content when you shouldn't be."

In an unrelated issue there is a TV outage in my area since yesterday but my TV box showed up when a representative helping me activate it did whatever, but my box is stuck at the screen that checks for updates. She said that since my box is showing up on her end it's failure to activate would not have anything to do with the outage therefore she decided to send a tech out. Another representative I talked to after her said the box will probably activate once the outage is over. Don't know why outage has lasted 2 days.

In any case my trust in the competence of Comcast employees is beginning to dwindle.

***Update*** To top it all off at 10:30 PM I got an email from Comcast with a service change notice showing that they plan to bill me $60 for an installation for the tech visit tomorrow. This after they shipped me 2 cable boxes when I only requested 1. SMDH

***Update2*** At around Midnight decided to try to activate the other cable box they sent me. Hooked it up. Called Comcast. This box didn't get stuck at update screen and activated just fine. All channels through cable box just fine. Uninstalled and reinstalled beta app on Roku to see if the boxes had anything to do with problems. Nope same problems. Cancelled tech appointment for tmw. Will have to call back Tier 3 tech tmw and have them send a tech out about the "noise on the line".

***Update3*** The first cable box I tried to activate and would not was the one with the serial number listed in my Android My Xfinity app before I even got the box. For whatever reason it would not activate. But I cannot figure out why it showed up in the My Xfinity app before I even got it. And why my TV service was activated before I activated any box. So I'm sending that box back tmw. I will wait until they get it and take it off of my account and see if that does anything to fix the problems of getting some channels I am not subscribed to and of not getting Showtime on demand content and PBS on demand content on the beta app. If it does not then after this experience with Comcast I am not going to keep talking to them about it and posting here about it. After this experience with them I refuse to do anything to help them work out kinks in their beta app. I only signed up for Internet Plus because it had a great price and I wanted to get local channels live through my Roku. I am not having a problem doing that. I would watch all my on demand content on the TV Everywhere apps either way so it really doesn't matter to me. I just wanted everything to work right on principle. I get my local channels live on Roku now in HD at a great price so I am done bothering with the Comcast employees. I never had a bad experience with them until now. I had heard all the bad stories though. Now I get it.

New Poster

It's great that I can see live TV.  But I see only a handful of local stations.  I was expecting to see all cable channels which are available on my subscription.

Contributor

@rrkrol wrote:

It's great that I can see live TV.  But I see only a handful of local stations.  I was expecting to see all cable channels which are available on my subscription.

I would suggest contacting Comcast in order to keep this entitlements mess in their mind, however, given it worked then stopped working, and the silence from Comcast, I don't think there is interest in resolving the issue.

Frequent Visitor

Version 1.1.5 of the Roku Xfinity app has been usable on my Insignia Roku TV (NS-40DR420NA16). This is a great improvement over the previous version of the app. Everything still reacts sluggishly, and it sometimes freezes and crashes when exiting a stream back to the guide, but hey, good improvement nevertheless.

Frequent Visitor

For the past few days all I get is a DRM-6 error when trying to playback anything. My Roku recently got a Beta software update. I'm not sure if it's the Roku Beta software or if it's your app. Would the beta software from Roku break your DRM check or is this related to the app update?

Expert

@iceman413 wrote:

For the past few days all I get is a DRM-6 error when trying to playback anything. My Roku recently got a Beta software update. I'm not sure if it's the Roku Beta software or if it's your app. Would the beta software from Roku break your DRM check or is this related to the app update?

plug it in a different HDMI port on the TV (direct to TV) did it start working?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Rom I reboot fixed this.  I now get all live channels I receive on my comcast HD box.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I switched HDMI ports and I still get DRM.-6 error when trying to playback ondemand and live TV. When that didn't work I restarted the Roku since I'm on a new HDMI port now to see if that would fix it. Nope still same error. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the DRM check since I'm on beta Roku software. I'd much rather have my Xfinity app than the beta software though.

Regular Contributor

Comcast charging for the app isn't any different then Sling or DirectTV charging extra for multiple streams. Sling charges charges significantly more if you want to watch on more then one device. What Comcast is proposing isn't​ even close to the amount Sling is changing. What Comcast is doing is common practice.
Expert

@iceman413 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I switched HDMI ports and I still get DRM.-6 error when trying to playback ondemand and live TV. When that didn't work I restarted the Roku since I'm on a new HDMI port now to see if that would fix it. Nope still same error. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the DRM check since I'm on beta Roku software. I'd much rather have my Xfinity app than the beta software though.

how is the Roku connected to your home Xfinity internet? 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I am a Sling subscriber, blue package. Included in that package at no additional charge is the ability to stream on 3 devices simultaneously.
Regular Contributor

@DKSac wrote:
Comcast charging for the app isn't any different then Sling or DirectTV charging extra for multiple streams. Sling charges charges significantly more if you want to watch on more then one device. What Comcast is proposing isn't​ even close to the amount Sling is changing. What Comcast is doing is common practice.

So, can I assume that you do not stream content on any computers or mobile devices? If you did, you'd know that at home I can stream every channel that I'm subscribed to on iPads, phones, computers. Oh, and at no additional charge! I guess that I'm the only one.

Regular Visitor

I tried to power my Roku streaming stick (model 3600) via USB port.  Got error message indicating that I couldn't do this (low power, etc.).  What are the USB port requirements to power Roku streaming stick?  

Also, streaming video via Roku seems to be quite sensitive to proximity of WiFI gateway.   What are the practical distance limitations to successfully stream video?  I get error messages (no connectivity) when the Roku device / TV is used in a different room in my house from the WiFI gateway.

Regular Contributor

You do realize you pay more for the blue package that their is a cheaper package that only allows single streaming.
Silver Problem Solver

@fwojcicki wrote:

I tried to power my Roku streaming stick (model 3600) via USB port.  Got error message indicating that I couldn't do this (low power, etc.).  What are the USB port requirements to power Roku streaming stick?  

Also, streaming video via Roku seems to be quite sensitive to proximity of WiFI gateway.   What are the practical distance limitations to successfully stream video?  I get error messages (no connectivity) when the Roku device / TV is used in a different room in my house from the WiFI gateway.

According to the Roku site, it uses a 1.5A supply. A standard USB port is only 500mA (0.5A). A USB3 port may have the higher current needed. It probably doesn't need the full 1.5A, but it may need around a full 1.0 or so.

https://support.roku.com/products/streaming-stick

Contributor

I noticed on some of the SD channels the picture is small with a black boarder all the way around it. Now and then I'll get a DRM2 error out of no where. Lately I'll be watching a show and the screen goes black and I have three circles in the middle. I'll have to reboot my roku and open the app again and that normally fixes the issue for awhile. 

Contributor

It will work if you setup a vpn. The roku will work outside your home then. 

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

It's connected via wifi and had been working rather reliably until this week. In the beginning I got the DRM error almost every time. Then it started working reliably for a couple of weeks and now I cannot get past the DRM-6 error for the entire week.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I am aware that the Sling Blue package costs more than the Orange package, $25 rather than $20--the extra $5 gets me a greater variety of channels to watch as well as the ability to stream on 3 devices simultaneously rather than just one stream. I don't consider $5 to be "significantly more" expensive, especially when I hear that it is entirely possible that Comcast will charge somewhere between $7.50 and $10 per stream in addition to the cost of service packages. The more I read, the more that $5 sounds like a bargain rather than a significant expense.
New Poster

I figure this would be the place to provide feedback.

Great idea with the app on roku.  This makes me think Comcast is taking competetion from other providers seriously.  The only real problem I have noticed in Beta is that HD channels will get out of sync between video and audio.  This happens on my Sharp roku TV.

Expert

@iceman413 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

It's connected via wifi and had been working rather reliably until this week. In the beginning I got the DRM error almost every time. Then it started working reliably for a couple of weeks and now I cannot get past the DRM-6 error for the entire week.

I did a bit of researching on google but nothing really applies. The standard is unplug power from the Roku and then wait and then plug in and wait a minute before reconnecting the HDMI cable. The previous error posts talk about the security HDCP handshake 'failing' with hints to swap HDMI cables or swapping ends on the same cable. 

New Poster

I had a similar problem.   Couldn't authroize any channels (HBOgo, CNN, History, or even ABC) on either Roku or Android.  I received "This network is not included in your current XFINITY TV service"

Solution:  Chat with tech support here www.comcastsupport.com.  After first screener determined that I did in fact subscribe to the channels he forwarded me to Xfinity Mobile Apps department. There they did something and had me reinstall and re-authorize apps. It worked

The issue: I asked what the problem was and the response is:  "Your account access to the channel apps needs to be refreshed atleast once every 6 months."  Tech person said he had set my account to automatically re-authorize in the future.

Contributor

So I was not getting Showtime and PBS on demand on the Roku beta app but was getting them on the TV box, web app, and Android app. I was also getting MLB Network, NBA League Pass, and NHL Center Ice when not subscribed. After numerous calls and escalations today I got lucky and got 2 of the right people on the line. First I called regular tech support(tier 1 I guess its called) because on the Xfinity My Account app for Android the status of my TV box was not available. She just said it probably needs more time. But before I got off the line with her I asked about getting the sports channels I am not subscribed to and she said it was just Comcast letting people watch for a limited time to let people see if they like it. Like they do with the premium movie channels sometimes. I said I had talked to numerous techs over the past week and none of them said that but that I thought that could be it. She said she just happens to watch a lot of sports and waits for those type of things so that is probably why she knew and they did not.

So I called the tier 3 tech support to inform them that that issue was resolved but that I still am not getting Showtime and PBS on demand on the Roku beta app. I lucked out with this tech as well. I told him that I am getting that on demand content on the TV box, Android app, and web app. I had told all the other techs that as well but he checked something and saw that I had 9 PC's and phones in the system and he cleared them all out. I also told him about the Xfinity My Account Android app not showing the status of my TV box. So he sent a signal to the box and reset it or something. He gave me extension and told me to call him back once the guide was showing all the programming content again. Since he cleared all my devices from the system. I had to log back in. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the Roku beta app and logged back in. Surprise I am now getting the Showtime and PBS on demand content on the Roku app. Problem solved. But still no TV box status in the Xfinity My Account app. So I called him and left a message. About half an hour later he actually called me back. The first time in a week they actually called me. He was still showing some kind of error for the box on his end and since I had had issues with another box they sent me by mistake he decided it is probably a signal issue with the line and scheduled a tech to visit on Tues.

But concerning this forum topic the Roku issue is resolved. It seems i had too many devices in their system for some reason and clearing them cleared up the problem of missing Showtime and PBS on demand content on the Roku app.