Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

@Dscarpati1958 wrote:
They are delaying the app because they are afraid people will start returning those worthless digital adapters that make them a fortune and cost them a zero to maintain

The app has already been deployed.  Maybe not the finished produst, but I'd venture to say that it is ~80% complete.  As it is, it already can do more that "those worthless digital adapters" do.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

I completely agree that the HD filter would be an excellent addition to the app.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@AllYouCanDrink wrote:
So can anyone tell me why The Weather Channel HD and TV Land HD suddenly disappeared from my channel listing on the Roku app?

I still have them on the TV app on my android

Interesting thing....on my android app they are listed only in the TV TO GO section ...so maybe that is the issue?

sounds like an account glitch. you might try using the Xfinity remote and press the "A" button, and select "Account Refresh". if you do that and after an hour it does not fix the issue, call 800-Comcast and select billing and ask for an account refresh "that takes about an hour". Let us know the method you used to resolve the problem getting your channels back.

So they just called me back and said I would have to hook up the converter box for the issue to be fixed, and that it has be hooked for whenever updates are done.

So that does it for me...I'm out.

When the Comcast sales rep lied to me last year and told me he was offering an internet based TV service that would not require a converter and that there was already a Roku app out, and then a converter came in the mail and there was no Roku app, I should have known right then and there they wouldn't ever deliver what they promised. But instead, I called and voiced my opinion and then patiently waited.

Not anymore....I'm turning it off

New Poster

I love that this is working on this device. You redeemed my faith in you not trying to nickel and dime customers by allowing me to get rid of dtas and actually being able to watch all of the channels I pay for throughout my house. I am sad to now see a little blurb that says after the beta there will be a fee. Seriously!!! My cable bill is already as much as a car payment. I seriously thought wow they are finally doing something right. Guess I will be diaappointed again.
New Poster

xfinity beta app

HOW DO YOU GET THE TV LISTNING. ALL IT DOES IS DOWNLOAD. IT SAYS HIT THE STAR ON YOUR ROKU REMOTE. ALL THE ON DEMAND STUFF WORKS.

Frequent Visitor

Re: xfinity beta app

On Tuesday, Feb. 28, Comcast is rolling out its new Xfinity Stream app, which will replace the Xfinity TV app for phones, tables, and laptops. The new interface will supposedly unify the in-home and out-of-home X1-like experience.

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the Roku X1 app, when it's finally ready to go from beta to production, will look and feel a whole lot like the Stream app rolling out on Tuesday. Hopefully, our concerns about easier access to the guide, pausing and rewinding live TV, setting favorites, filtering, etc., will be addressed.

I'm also thinking that if the unified Stream app is coming out on Tuesday, can the Roku in-home production app be far behind? Here's hoping!

Frequent Visitor

Comcast has left its options open about charging for an "additional outlet" after the Roku comes out of beta. There's been some vitriol about this on this forum. I personally think Comcast would be wise not to charge an additional outlet fee. Reasons:

I realize that for the X1 service to work on other devices, there needs to be either a "primary" X1 box or a new-ish Xfinity Internet modem/router. But Comcast does not charge for the in-home use of phones, laptops, and tablets using the Xfinity app, or charge an extra fee for people using a TiVo set-top (except perhaps a CableCARD fee?). Customer-owned devices, including Roku, do not require the expensive, government-mandated CableCARD, which are no longer required on Comcast-owned equipment either. I think from a public-relations standpoint, charging a monthly fee for a customer to use a customer-owned device would cause a significant backlash by customers and consumer groups. 

I can understand why Comcast would want to keep its options open until it's ready to go live with the Roku production app, but I would advise Comcast not to charge. The trade press (Multichannel News) has already questioned why Comcast would charge an extra fee. You'd alienate a lot of people, some of whom would rather drop TV service altogether than pay a monthly fee to use a customer-owned device. 

Anyway, let's keep this Roku app rolling onward!

New Poster

Just trying the Roku app for the first time today, and seems super slow. Outside of that while accessing my DVR recordings I keep getting an error (DRM. -3) that stops all playback and forces me to restart the show and fast forward to where I was during the show when the error pops up. Any advice as to how to prevent this error? Tried the Roku app as the Xfinity TV app was terrible and I couldn't get most of my DVR recordings to even play let alone download to my iPad.

New Poster

roku app error

I am generally pleased with the Roku app, but I randomly get a DRM-3 error that won't let a recorded show load or stops it during playback.  Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Frequent Visitor

I haven't had any of those problems. How good is your WiFi? Is your screen constantly buffering? 

Official Employee

Re: roku app error

@tdr567 wrote:

I am generally pleased with the Roku app, but I randomly get a DRM-3 error that won't let a recorded show load or stops it during playback.  Any suggestions on how to handle this?

I'm sorry you're having trouble. I don't anticipate there is anything you can do except perhaps try again. There are a couple DRM-X error that the developers are working to resolve.

Best,
ComcastDan

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Roku beta crashes 3 AM with Emergency Broadcast Test

pretty much the subject line. This is the third time this week. I am watching This Is Us and the Emergency Broadcast test goes off. The Roku app crashes and I have to come back in and start over. When I resume the show, it immediately goes into the test again and crashes. I can't fast forward past it/

New Poster

Xfinity beta for Roku - CBS audio out of sync

I'm trying to use the Roku Beta to was Criminal Minds S12 Ep11 Surface Tension. It plays and the audio goes almost immediately out in sync like watching an old dubbed kungfu movie. I tried restarting it a couple times with no success. Not a good intro to your Beta.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity beta for Roku - CBS audio out of sync

I checked other episodes. The same thing is happening, after about 1 min of play the audio track goes out of sync.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity beta for Roku - CBS audio out of sync

Also the picture quality is horrible
Frequent Visitor

Others have laid out clear and organized lists of pros and cons of the functionality of the app itself. Menu could be improved, would be nice to continue to see the current channel while surfing others, glitch as one show is about to transition to the next is annoying, SD channels are unwatchably bad, etc. And as I'm writing this, I'm having more buffering problems than I ever have so far. Glitching, freezing, locking up my Roku. When it's good, it's really good--clear, sharp picture, relatively responsive, pretty decent interface.

However.

For as much as I eagerly awaited the
Xfinity app, it is definitely not something I would pay a per-device fee to use. As others have said, we already pay for the service, and we already own the Roku device. There would be no reasonable justification for an additional per-device fee to access the content. I already have access through other sources to much of the content for free. And as a subscriber to Sling, I am entitled to access their content on up to 5 devices with no additional fee. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Starz, etc--all similar. I had been hoping to drop Sling and upgrade my Comcast package if the app worked well, but if there is a per-device fee, I'll stick with my status quo. Thanks anyway.
Regular Contributor

Wrong wrong wrong. This is no different then Netflix charging extra for multiple streams. All content providers charge this way.
Expert
Moved:

Contributor

You guys wanna hear something very interesting? Ok so I've made it clear on these forums that we use to stream on other iptv services, and we paid for unlimited internet. The past 3 months I told the fam to go wild watching tv on their Fire Tv boxes, consoles, whatever so useage was higher than it was before, because I figured why not since we had to pay the $50 BS fee after our free 2 months for being really bad, and going over our 1TB 😱. So in July before we switched to streaming tv, we only used 275 GB total. This month we signed back up with Comcast for TV because I said I would if the app came out so we didn't have to pay to have so many cable boxes anymore. I sold every single streaming device we owned and bought a Roku. No one has been streaming except for one Roku and little use on their computers. Every ip is accounted for, and we still have the same usage... hmm. I thought it was the report of the Roku's Comcast usage counting towards the data cap, but it's not. I got a call the other day, and the guy couldn't tell me where the usage was coming from... 🤔 Watch out people!!
New Poster

New to Xfinity; min config for 3 TVs- one setbox, three Rokus?

I'm looking into ditching Dish and converting my Comcast 'net-only account to Xfinity. I'm confused about what equipment I need if I want to hook it up to three TVs. At first I was thinking I'd have to get a bunch of set-top boxes, but with the Roku app, is that no longer the case?

Presently I have one set-top box I connected tonight, and have the TV working with either the Comcast box or Roku. I tried setting up a different Roku for another TV, and got an error message saying it would only work if I connected through Xfinity WiFi.

So if I sign up for one of the (many & confusing) triple-play options, which apparently come with a Comcast WiFi setup, I can then run all TVs off of Roku units and not need any set-top boxes?

And finally, will there be an additional charge for each television connected to a Roku unit?

Thanks!  --Mike Jacoubowsky

Regular Contributor

@DKSac wrote:
Wrong wrong wrong. This is no different then Netflix charging extra for multiple streams. All content providers charge this way.

No, Netflix charges extra for multiple streams because when they didn't, too many users were passing their user names and passwords out to their friends and families to use free of charge.

And no, all content providers do not charge that way. Spectrum (the old T-W and Charter) doesn't charge to use their Roku app as extra outlets. They didn't when they were seperate companies either.

Regular Contributor

I have Netflix, and do not pay more for multiple streams. I can stream three devices at the same time, and have as many devices as I want.
Regular Contributor

@asndad wrote:
I have Netflix, and do not pay more for multiple streams. I can stream three devices at the same time, and have as many devices as I want.

You can stream up to 4 at the same time if you're paying Netflix $11.99 a month.

• 1 screen
    $7.99/month
    Watch on 1 screen at a time in Standard Definition. Download videos on 1 phone or tablet.

• 2 screens
    $9.99/month
    Watch on 2 screens at a time. HD available. Download videos on 2 phones or tablets.

• 4 screens
    $11.99/month
    Watch on 4 screens at a time. HD and Ultra HD available. Download videos on 4 phones or tablets.

New Poster

When I'm watching live TV the image does not fill the whole screen.this only happens when watching live TV...is this normal?
Expert

@gd7288 wrote:
When I'm watching live TV the image does not fill the whole screen.this only happens when watching live TV...is this normal?

are you certain you selected an HD version of the channel? If you have the 1000+ series of channels try viewing one or more there as they are the HD channels. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Duhhh!

Thanks!
New Poster

I have Limited Basic in the Metro Detroit area, and via a traditional coax-attached cable box I get the PBS World Channel on 287. However, on the Xfinity App on Roku, the guide directly goes from 286 to 288. And exhaustly flipping through the entire listing shows it is on no other channel.

Is there another way to watch PBS World via the Xfinity App or is there any plan to add PBS World to the Xfinity App for Roku?

Thanks,

Regular Visitor

I ran into exactly this same issue last night for the first time; I think the alert was stating it was a weekly test. If I recall correctly, the alert specified a time frame of about 15 minutes. During that time window, no program could be watched through the app because the alert would trigger again. Each time required going back to the Roku home screen, and renavigating via the clunky interface to get back to the live channel we were watching.

This cannot be tolerated and must be fixed!

I've posted previously on my thoughts (good/bad/ugly). Having used it on & off over the past few weeks has been a generally positive experience. However, it seems that I am starting to notice some degradation in the quality of the picture recently. For instance, while watching Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies on TNT (Live), the battle action sequences became very smudgy/pixelated; I have a hard-wired Roku3 and no one else in the household was impacting the bandwidth on my network. Also, in general, the picture seems a bit softer, less crisp.

And, finally, as I have mentioned in the past, the closed captioning tends to be a hit-or-miss proposition with the app. We have hearing-impaired individuals who benefit from CC, so this is another must-fix.

@Josh75 wrote:

The emergency alert makes the app unusable. Once it pops up it will do it's thing then go to a black screen and never return to the channel you were watching. The only way to get out of the black screen is to press the "home" button on the roku remote. After returning to the home screen, then going back into the xfinity app, then going to any channel...wait a few seconds....then the emergency alert starts again and then hangs once again at a black screen.

UNUSABLE, which is unfortunate, as up until this point it was pretty good aside from some user interface issues that need to be addressed.

Frequent Visitor

What everyone is saying is make the star (*) key "hot" all the time. The channel selector menu should come up no matter where you are in the Xfinity App.  This would speed up the channel selection process.  You shouldn't have to press the down-arrow to bring it up or any other key strokes to bring up the channel selector menu.

Regular Contributor

@ramrod2 wrote:

What everyone is saying is make the star (*) key "hot" all the time. The channel selector menu should come up no matter where you are in the Xfinity App.  This would speed up the channel selection process.  You shouldn't have to press the down-arrow to bring it up or any other key strokes to bring up the channel selector menu.

I'm hoping they are working on an X1 remote that controls the X1 Roku app and getting the app working on older Rokus.

Also, for the benefit of those elderly users like my 90-something year old Mother for whom fewer remote control clicks are easier to learn and remember, having the app start on live TV or making it the default choice on the Main Menu screen would be best. After all, when we turn on the TV now, we see live TV.

Regular Visitor

Roku USB Sticks are portable Streaming devices.

Android Phones are portable communication devices.

Windows Laptop are easily carried all purpose Internet devices.

Xfinity PC Browser app is free and has both in-home and roaming features.

Xfinity Android app is free and has both in-home and roaming features.

Xfinity Roku app will not be free and will not offer any roaming features.

Get less and pay more. That's just insane.

Really this just says that I should ditch Roku for USB Stick PC or Android based Device.

Silver Problem Solver

@workerdummy wrote:

@ramrod2 wrote:

I'm hoping they are working on an X1 remote that controls the X1 Roku app and getting the app working on older Rokus.

Also, for the benefit of those elderly users like my 90-something year old Mother for whom fewer remote control clicks are easier to learn and remember, having the app start on live TV or making it the default choice on the Main Menu screen would be best. After all, when we turn on the TV now, we see live TV.

There is no way an X1 remote would work with a Roku. The Roku only understands a few keys, no matter what remote you use with it. With the smartphone/tablet app, you can use a keyboard on text-entry screens, but otherwise, it's no different than the physical remote.

Contributor

Where did my HD channels go? I do not have HD on my package but in the app I had HD since the beta was released but today they were gone. It's fine I don't plan on keeping the app if we have to pay a fee. In fact once my contact runs out I am done with comcast and am getting one of the streaming services but curious if this happened to anyone else?
Regular Visitor

Same here had HD this morning tonight they are all gone.  The only reason I was considering the ROKU option was to get hd channels.  Once again Xfinity wants to charge more for less.

Regular Contributor

The app is connected to your comcast account. If you do not have HD service, you won't get HD on the app. They have updated the app and accounts to match, which they did not do at first. I do agree though, if they charge anything, I will not use that app. I can get more channels for less if they charge a per device fee. To upgrade my comcast service to relieve the same channels I get with PS Vue, it will cost me $50 more. If they also want a per device fee, I will stay with Vue, and save money.
Frequent Visitor

My HD channels are also gone and I don't subscribe to HD either. This has made the app useless. I can see charging extra when higher tech equipment is needed but this is rediculous. I'm using my own Roku that I bought and paid for and giving me HD through that does not hurt Comcast what so ever. On top of that you want me to PAY for using my own Roku...This is nothing more than greed on the part of the most hated company in America, Comcast.
Contributor

Tonight I went to use the app and channels in the 800+ block (HD Channels) did not appear in the guide.  In contrast, I DO receive HD channels on both of my cablecard STBs.

Frequent Visitor

The funny thing is I also subscribe to HBO that's not HD yet I log in through HBO GO and it's in HD and has been for years.
Regular Visitor

Then count me out the only reason I endured the crappy beta that crashed multiple times a day was for HD.  So first they take away HD that I got by encrypting the signals.  This looks like a reasonable alternative, I guess not.  Boy do I wish FIOS was available.

New Poster

I do pay Comcast for HD and they disappeared from my Xfinity roku app also. I'm not paying Comcast for HD service for a TiVo and then paying them again for it via roku.
Regular Contributor

Have comcast check your account. Mine was "accidently" changed to a national account, and I lost all of my local channels. They may have "accedently " changed yours to an SD account. Only tech support can fix it.
New Poster

I don't know why in this day & age, HD is an "option" that carries an extra charge. It's like paying extra for the "color programming". All of the content starts out in HD from origination & any availability in SD is downgraded by the content provider. It is purposefully downconverted to SD.

Perhaps legislation is needed to correct this.

Regular Visitor

I have been playing around with the Comcast TV beta on my Roku Express a little now and have a few issues with the UI.

First I am not particularly fond of the app going to the menu first. I would prefer it went to your last live TV channel then allowed you to call the menu up via one of the device buttons (like the * button) kind of like it would with a DTA or HD converter box. Also when you are in the guide and you click on a currently airing show I don't think it makes sense to click on the show then click on the Watch. You should be able to click on the show and start viewing immediately then use the arrows to get to the show/series info. For upcoming shows that may make more sense but for a currently airing show, not so much.

It would also be nice to have a last channel option (or channels like last 3 for sports enthusiasts) in the menu or a channel up down option using the arrows (maybe left & right) to "channel surf". It might also be nice to accomodate multi-viewer households with profiles and favorites.

Finally, some means of filtering content/channels would be nice (for example only sports or only HD) kind of like what you have in the web UI (see the image below). I know you have the Netflix like presentation on the TV listing screen with Kids, Sports and Movies but I am talking about more of a channel filter than an entire new presentation.

One last issue, I know that having the option to view SD is a nice to have but if your Roku is connected to a TV via HDMI (as you would be with most newer devices) it might be nice to filter out channels that have corresponding HD equivalents. For example, I have CBS, ABC, NBC, CW and Fox available in both SD and HD but would not really care to view in SD if HD is available. Or maybe make it a setting to automatically go to the HD channel if available? I believe the X1 did this when I had it.

Just my 2 cents but these are all "tweaks" that I feel would improve the overall experience of the app and draw more people to it. Thank you.

comcast guide.png

Contributor

Just had a rather confusing series of chats with Comcast on the SD/HD question.  The first agent transferred me to the app support who inferred that I didn't have HD (even though I have access to HD on my STBs and have always had HD) he the transferred me to another agent who stated that my account was marked as being able to receive HD channels and he would esclate the issue to the app team.

Right now I use CableCARD STBs for my two TVs.

Could someone from Comcast comment on what is required for HD channel availability on the app?

Frequent Visitor

Agreed we got the emergency broadcast during the SF Bay Area flooding and it did not return to the channel after and could not be bypassed by exiting the Roku channel and going back in.

Also agree with others on the channel guide needs to keep refreshing over time. Plus it would be great if you and down buttons changed to adjacent stations.

Frequent Visitor

To those who lost HD, while watching any channel push the down key on your Roku remote, this will bring up a last watched option. You may still be able to access some of the last HD channels watched that way. Wish I would have figured that little trick out before watching several SD channels. Regardless, I still was able to access the local Fox station in HD even though it's no longer listed. Enjoy it while you can because if I know Comcast that little loop hole will be updated as soon as they read this.
Frequent Visitor

This is terrible, even for Comcast. On the plus side, I didn't drop DirecTV Now because after 20 or so years in a row as a Comcast customer, I expected Comcast to make this intollerable, too. Since I didn't drop DTV, I still get 100 HD channels for only $35. At least now there's no reason to keep paying for the Comcast service that I haven't been getting (except for that tiny window where the Roku app worked and Comcast didn't treat me like a chump).

Comcast has a monopoly in my area or I'd be gone.

Frequent Visitor

Just confirmed through a rep on the Roku if you want HD channels you're paying $10 extra and no way around it. I'm dropping TV service at this point as it's criminal as I've had an analog box still in the wrapper for 2 years now. Really? $10 to use HD on my own equipment plus a potential fee for using my own equipment coming has done me in. FYI Comcast, your Roku app just cost you money as I'm lowering my service. Dont get me started on the new data cap either. I would drop my internet so fast it hurt if they weren't the only provider above 7meg in my area. Century Link is getting closer to running fiber in my area and I'm counting the days. As someone else stated I'm sure the color TV fee is next. I've never seen a company nickel and dime their customers like Comcast. It's truly unbelievable and impossible to defend so please, no one try. Back to the FREE HD antenna in this room.

Blast internet 200, limited basic, one SD box I'm forced to have and not use and HBO and my bill just went up to $97.xx plus taxes fees because my year agreement is up and they refuse to let me keep the same package. I'll be looking around $110 a month if no changes are made. Add another $17 or so to that if they charge for the Roku use and the $10 HD fee. Not gonna happen.
Contributor

I wish someone from Comcast would chime in, I receive HD on 2 CableCARD STBs, but not on the app.  I would love to understand why.

Frequent Visitor

There is a big difference between paying 9.99 to stream on two tvs simultaneously/11.99 for four and paying somewhere between 7 and 10 bucks for EACH tv. It's the difference between a small convenience surcharge and being gouged. It's a difference that is unreasonable and unacceptable.