Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Everything works well with the app of the ROku  except the DVR/Saved recordings.  Any time I go to Saved recordings and play something I get a  "Sorry,  cannot be played" error with some DRM code in the bottom right.  However when I go to on-demand and play the same show it works fine, as long as I dont select the DVR'd version.   I am guessing this is a bug in the system, I regularly watch Saved shows on my phone, IPAD, and laptop without issue.  Just does not seem to work on the Roku App, and is really annoying at the moment.  Any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

I have no trouble watching my DVR recordings on the Roku. I could be mistaken, but I think the early X1 DVRs had only a hard drive, but later ones relied on DVR in the cloud. I'm pretty sure my X1 DVR is in the cloud, and so I can set, watch, and delete recordings just fine.

One thing I don't like about my DVR playback at the moment is that when I fast-forward, I get a static frame instead of frames jumping ahead by seconds at a time, so I just have to guess when to rejoin the recording. Hopefully this will be fixed before coming out of beta.

Expert

@agordo81 wrote:
They say it doesn't, but it's still counting against ours. I've accounted for every IP address in our network and it's that for sure so I haven't been using it much.

on a web browser (i use firefox for this as chrome won't show the extra details) go to https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ and log in if necessary. You will see the familiar usage meter bar and under it is a link 'view detailed data usage'. on that will be your X1 set top boxes (xg1 and xg2 only) as well as your modem. You won't see one for most companion boxes (rng150 probably will be there). You will be able to tell which device(s) are using the most data. If it is your modem, you can use a smart device app called 'fing' to see all the active devices on your network.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Xfinity and Roku

I would like to use my xfinity cable service at my second  home in FL (the first home where xfinity is located is in MD).  Can I do that with a Roku device and does it matter  what network your on?  I am on a Brighthouse network in Florida.

Contributor

Is their a app for amazon fire stick?
Expert

Re: Xfinity and Roku

@frantastic1 wrote:

I would like to use my xfinity cable service at my second  home in FL (the first home where xfinity is located is in MD).  Can I do that with a Roku device and does it matter  what network your on?  I am on a Brighthouse network in Florida.

at the current time the Roku access to the Xfinity TV app is in home only and is not available in other locations. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@rob0405 wrote:
Is their a app for amazon fire stick?

the first post in this thread (http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-App/Xfinity-TV-on-Roku/m-p/2834869#M3522) has the list of devices that will work. The same post says where the app will appear to download and that if not available for your device, the app will not be listed.

New Poster

For ROKU devices "On conclusion of the trial, you will be informed of the charges that will apply for connecting this device with your XFINITY TV service and will have the opportunity to opt in."

What will the charge be??

What is the point of getting the device if the charge to use it is as much as a set top box?

Contributor

There should be no fee for the app period. 

#1 I am paying for the set top box already 

#2 I paid for the Roku, I am not renting it from Comcast .It's my equipment Comcast not yours. 

#3 If there is a fee it would only be for greed

If there is a fee just from reading the remarks on here so many people have said they will not opt in. I sure won't.

Seeing that I am paying them for the box and I own the Roku, how is it even legal for them to charge us? 

Fee equals goodbye Comcast hello sling or maybe Hulu live when it's released! 

Expert

@wobrakpm wrote:

For ROKU devices "On conclusion of the trial, you will be informed of the charges that will apply for connecting this device with your XFINITY TV service and will have the opportunity to opt in."

What will the charge be??

What is the point of getting the device if the charge to use it is as much as a set top box?

it says at the conclusion (end) of the beta. You will not get charged when beta is over unless you specifically add the rate code to your account. The amount has not been announced since the beta is still underway.

New Poster

Is there any way to rewind live tv? I can't figure it out. 

Thanks.

Contributor

No pause or rewind for anything live yet. I'm also waiting on this.
New Poster

@agordo81 wrote:
No pause or rewind for anything live yet. I'm also waiting on this.

I was just about to ask about pause as well. Thanks. Pause is huge as if there is no volume control so if the phone rings, I need to pause it so I can hear the person on the phone.

Regular Contributor

When are we going to get word on what other Roku models the app will work with?

Also, is a solution to the remote control problem being worked on, like a smartphone/tablet app or a copy of the current X1 remote that works with the Roku  boxes.

Expert

@workerdummy wrote:

Also, is a solution to the remote control problem being worked on, like a smartphone/tablet app or a copy of the current X1 remote that works with the Roku  boxes.

please see the first post on page one of this thread.

Expert

@Rojotito21 wrote:

Is there any way to rewind live tv? I can't figure it out. 

Thanks.

does the Roku have RAM? or a memory slot? what you want would require a buffer. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@workerdummy wrote:

If you see me ask any questions, ignore them. They are for Comcast employees only.

New Poster

Xfinity TV on Roku

will i ever be able to watch xfinity tv on my roku 1? I purchased the roku 1 because it is the only roku that i was able to connect to a tv without hdmi..found it frustrating when realized that xfinity tv is not connecting to it.

Expert

@workerdummy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@workerdummy wrote:

If you see me ask any questions, ignore them. They are for Comcast employees only.

This is primarily a user to user forum. 

Regular Contributor

Rusty benefits, you seem a little sparky. Just so others know, Comcast has stated that some customers accounts have "accedently" been marked "national", thereby causing them to loose local channels. You will need to call customer service and inform them of your issue, and possible solution.
New Poster

Love the idea but for me the value in the roku app is to have access to my xfinity account at our vacation home. Please consider allowing that after the beta.
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@workerdummy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@workerdummy wrote:

This is primarily a user to user forum. 

... and yet, we have been told, over and over, that the only feedback/reporting to COMCAST, for the ROKU beta is via this thread, in this forum. Which is it????

Regular Contributor

@lbrunetti60 wrote:

will i ever be able to watch xfinity tv on my roku 1? I purchased the roku 1 because it is the only roku that i was able to connect to a tv without hdmi..found it frustrating when realized that xfinity tv is not connecting to it.

That's the question I've posed a few times, again just a day or two ago.

I have a 2XS, Roku LT and a Roku 1 of which none are compatible. I had to spend more money on an Express+ (which is the only current model with analog RCA A/V outputs) to be able to test the Xfinity for Roku app. Comcast has said other models may be added later. I've asked when, but have only gotten one non-helpful answer.

At this point, all the patience I've had throughout the entire process of getting the app to where it is now has been used up. It looks like ones like you and me will have to buy numerous new Roku's to use a paid app no other cable company charges their users to use, which means I won't be using the app and will start the process of going back to my previous local phone company and their new FIOS system.

Frequent Visitor

Fast forward is abproblem for me also.

Contributor

I just upgraded my cable modem from an Arris TM822g to the DPC3941t wireless gateway (I am running in bridge mode in order to leverage my WRT1900ACS).  I can no longer use the Roku app which worked with the TM822g even after signing out and reauthorizing.  I can enter the app and navigate the guide, but I get a DRM-6 error when I attempt to "tune" to a channel.

I tested on-demand and I am able to view on-demand.

Expert

@mark.bidewell wrote:

I just upgraded my cable modem from an Arris TM822g to the DPC3941t wireless gateway (I am running in bridge mode in order to leverage my WRT1900ACS).  I can no longer use the Roku app which worked with the TM822g even after signing out and reauthorizing.  I can enter the app and navigate the guide, but I get a DRM-6 error when I attempt to "tune" to a channel.

have you tried after taking it out of bridge mode? Do you have your wireless router configured for ipv6? do you use the DHCP provided DNS servers?

New Poster

I just added the Xfinity Beta app to my roku streaming channels because OnDemand froze three-quarters of the way through a movie. I was happy to see the option, since I will be able to search for program availability using just the Roku instead of searching the Roku and Xfinity. I Was then also happy that the app allowed me to continue watching the movie from where I left off before the error occurred using my cable box. Unfortunately, once I started watching the movie using the app, the picture quality was the worst I've seen in decades. I thought it would clear up, but it never did. I couldn't locate any options to adjust settings to try and improve the picture quality. There is no way I would use the app with such poor resolution.
New Poster

We already pay for the content. Producers don't charge more by the TV. This is a pure money grab on the Comcast end just like forcing us to rent set top boxes or pay astronomical outlet fees for our own equipment. If Comcast made a terrible deal with the producers to charge by the outlet, then they really don't know how to make a deal then without getting fleeced.  None of the other new streaming services charge this way.

New Poster

Oh and there is no way I will pay for this when most of the same stuff already streams to me on the roku via other channels. Why did Comcast waste time developing this?  I'm pretty sure when customers asked for Xfinity to be in a roku app, they didn't ask to be ripped off further.  Another option is arriving soon in Atlanta and I can't be grateful enough to give someone my buisness who actually wants me as a customer. 

Regular Contributor

So, I was told that they found the problem with loosing local channels. Told me it was a programming error. They said my account "accidentally" got set up as a national account. Told me on Thursday that it would be fixed in 48 hours. I asked if that was working hours or clock hours. They said no later than Sunday. Guess what, none of my apps, Roku, Windows, or Android will show my local channels. What is wrong? Can a Comcast rep please explain? Thanks in advance.
Silver Problem Solver

@bdotblot wrote:

We already pay for the content. Producers don't charge more by the TV. This is a pure money grab on the Comcast end just like forcing us to rent set top boxes or pay astronomical outlet fees for our own equipment. If Comcast made a terrible deal with the producers to charge by the outlet, then they really don't know how to make a deal then without getting fleeced.  None of the other new streaming services charge this way.

Actually, many, if not most, contracts probably do have a 'per screen' fee. Otherwise, how would the media companies know how many possible viewers they have? And I mean POSSIBLE viewers, not actual viewers (Neilsen ratings.) In the past analog era, they were fine with just counting households. These days, with such a broken up market, they need info down to the device level to justify their ad rates and licensing fees.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Some feedback on the Beta. 

1) while pricing has not been announced, I don't plan to continue using this if there are any addtional costs. The cost of the service/plan is already high enough and I will not be paying a fee to use my equipment  on my service/plan

2) Work needs to be done to speed up the responsiveness of the app. For instance it can take 1.5-2 minutes to navigate the menues (slow) to get to live TV.

3) The guide needs to have options (like the web & Ios app versions) to filter the guide for favorites/HD/etc. 

4) There needs to be a way to quickly enter a channel number. I realize this might be difficult due to the lack of buttons on the Roku remote, but something needs to be done to quickly enter a channel number from a live TV stream. (perhaps pushing the * button will give the number selector. Also please keep the live tv stream running in the background without stopping playback)

5) If watching a stream and the Guide is accessed, keep the stream running in a small Picture-in-picture similar to how the Web version works. That way you can see the stream while paging through the guide. 

Frequent Visitor

Here is my feedback after using this app exclusively for the past 3 weeks:

1)  Access time to start up and access the channel grid, and refresh time for programming content to appear on the grid, needs to improve.

2)  The app needs to remember the last channel you had viewed in the channel grid - this is VERY important!  I hate starting at channel 2 again every time I open the channel, and need to laboriously scroll down to the HD channels which start at 701 in my area.

3)  We need a "favorites" option to select specific channels to build a custom channel grid

4)  Additional "filters" option to select specific channel types like HD-only - and build this into existing filters like Sports, as the current selection takes me to the SD channel by default (and who wants to watch sports in SD??).

5)  I don't know if this is a Roku issue or an issue with the XfinityTV channel beta, but every once in a while when pushing the "back" button on the Roku remote to exit a video stream, the entire Roku device reboots!  This has happened on all 3 of my Rokus (2's and 3's) that we use to watch TV in my house.

Overall I am quite pleased with the Roku channel, a great start Comcast!  There are rarely breaks in the video stream - more consistent and reliable than SlingTV.  I also have used the Playstation Vue on Roku which was also very reliable but its user interface is atrocious.  Those services also counted against my new (and much maligned) 1TB data download limit by Comcast, and I understand using the Roku XfinityTV channel does not.

Well done Comcast, just need a bit more tweaking!

Frequent Visitor

@dhellerstedt wrote:

Some feedback on the Beta. 

4) There needs to be a way to quickly enter a channel number. I realize this might be difficult due to the lack of buttons on the Roku remote, but something needs to be done to quickly enter a channel number from a live TV stream. (perhaps pushing the * button will give the number selector. Also please keep the live tv stream running in the background without stopping playback)

Actually your suggestion is exactly how you can get a channel selector... once your start scrolling (Only need to scroll down one channel from the start) you can press the * key and it brings up a 10-key numeric pad that you can navigate with the your arrow keys to input a specific channel number and it will take you to that point of the channel guide. I always go right 800 because that's where my HD channels start.

~Bruce

Frequent Visitor

@bdotblot wrote:

Oh and there is no way I will pay for this when most of the same stuff already streams to me on the roku via other channels. Why did Comcast waste time developing this?  I'm pretty sure when customers asked for Xfinity to be in a roku app, they didn't ask to be ripped off further.  Another option is arriving soon in Atlanta and I can't be grateful enough to give someone my buisness who actually wants me as a customer. 

This was originally developed to provide the FCC with an alternative to the Open Set Top Box legislation being proposed in 2016. Comcast proposed developing apps to run on popular third party devices as an alternative to a mandated backend interface. The FCC was open to this alternative.

My guess is that they did not want to be required to support another interface out of their control like my beloved CableCard. If they developed apps, they could maintain control of the backend interfaces. They could also inject ads and disallow commercial skipping.

This all makes sense until the FCC killed the set top box legislation. What was Comcast to do? They had almost completed development of the first of those apps. With the legislation dead and net neutrality about to be contested, Comcast has decided to turn this into a profit generating product. They will make much more money off of apps like this than they could dream of with set top boxes.

Frequent Visitor

Bardmaster: Bruce answered a couple of your questions in his reply to your post. Another tip: if you hit the down arrow while watching a live channel, a recently watched button will pop up on the lower left.

We do need better navigation to get back to the grid without completely exiting the program we're watching. On my regular X1 box, the right arrow pulls up a mini-grid to the right of the screen, showing a half-dozen or so channels adjacent to what I'm watching, and the ability to navigate up or down from there. Hopefully that or something like it will be included in the final product.

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@mark.bidewell wrote:

have you tried after taking it out of bridge mode? Do you have your wireless router configured for ipv6? do you use the DHCP provided DNS servers?

When I tried the next day, the app was functioning normally once again.  I will say that updating to the wireless gateway seems to have improved network performance while using the app.

Regular Contributor

An update on loss of local channels. It only took four days after they found the problem, but finally they are back. Good for me. I d u do notice an update to the android app, making it easier to navigate, hope they will update the Roku app with at least a few of the improvements mentioned above.
New Poster

I would like to say I came across the xfinity beta app today and can now access my cable in my bedroom via the roku I was thinking about canceling my cable but this will definitely make me stay.
New Poster

Pretty good beta. Guide really needs to be worked on. It doesn't keep track of the actual time. Top right shows the time but the guide doesn't move if you have the tv on for a few hours. For example turned tv while working at 9 am and went to check the guide and it was still at 9 am even though it was 1:30 pm.
New Poster

I am having the same problem. Any answers?
Frequent Visitor

Why not make the star (*) key "hot" all the time. No matter where you are in the Xfinity App, pushing the star (*) key brings up the channel selector (Menu) saving extra steps.

New Poster

The emergency alert makes the app unusable. Once it pops up it will do it's thing then go to a black screen and never return to the channel you were watching. The only way to get out of the black screen is to press the "home" button on the roku remote. After returning to the home screen, then going back into the xfinity app, then going to any channel...wait a few seconds....then the emergency alert starts again and then hangs once again at a black screen.

UNUSABLE, which is unfortunate, as up until this point it was pretty good aside from some user interface issues that need to be addressed.

Contributor

I thought I saw someone say that pausing and rewinding live tv wouldn't be possible with a Roku, but now I can't see it. Does anyone know if this is true or not? We only have a few more days to cancel, and if this is true... we're most likely going back to what we were doing before.

Thanks
Frequent Visitor

So can anyone tell me why The Weather Channel HD and TV Land HD suddenly disappeared from my channel listing on the Roku app?

I still have them on the TV app on my android

Interesting thing....on my android app they are listed only in the TV TO GO section ...so maybe that is the issue?
Expert

@AllYouCanDrink wrote:
So can anyone tell me why The Weather Channel HD and TV Land HD suddenly disappeared from my channel listing on the Roku app?

Interesting thing....on my android app they are listed only in the TV TO GO section ...so maybe that is the issue?

sounds like an account glitch. you might try using the Xfinity remote and press the "A" button, and select "Account Refresh". if you do that and after an hour it does not fix the issue, call 800-Comcast and select billing and ask for an account refresh "that takes about an hour". Let us know the method you used to resolve the problem getting your channels back.

Frequent Visitor

To clarify my reasoning...

I am sure the Roku app probably pulls the same list of in home channels that the android TV app pulls from.

Channels that are eligible to be viewed outside of the home are listed a second time with the TO GO tag.

It has to be a mistake that all of a sudden The Weather Channel HD and TV Land HD are only listed in the TO GO section of my TV App...which has to be an error
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@AllYouCanDrink wrote:

sounds like an account glitch. you might try using the Xfinity remote and press the "A" button, and select "Account Refresh". if you do that and after an hour it does not fix the issue, call 800-Comcast and select billing and ask for an account refresh "that takes about an hour". Let us know the method you used to resolve the problem getting your channels back.

I don't have the cable box hooked up..

I use android TV app and Roku only

Frequent Visitor

I finally got an agent on the phone who understood what I was talking about.

We tried a bunch of things, nothing helped. She was able to see on her app how TWC and TV LAND were showing SD, then listed as TO GO only for HD.

So she opened a ticket for me based on my comments and said someone would call me back
New Poster

They are delaying the app because they are afraid people will start returning those worthless digital adapters that make them a fortune and cost them a zero to maintain