Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

WHY OH WHY should using an app on my own roku cost MORE than a HD DTA ?  This is ridiculous !  The app is inferior to a DTA, the price should be less or free.  I will NOT be paying for this.

-Ken

New Poster

I have to second this.

The TCL 3700 Roku TV has some issues with keeping a stable stream on most channels. I was able to stream a basketball game on CBS on Sunday afternoon and it worked pretty well. However, most cable channels, on demand, HBO, etc. would only work for about 5 minutes. Once it needed to rebuffer, it would not fully come back and the TV itself will start to freeze up.

I think there is cause for optimism given how well the broadcast channels seemed to work, however there are clearly streaming issues that need to be addressed through the Beta process. In its current iteration, its not really useable on that TV at this time.

I also have a streaming stick in another room and it appears to be working well with the app, so the issues I am experiencing seem to be localized to the TCL TV. The wireless connection appears to be "Good" in both cases. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku--Beta Feedback

One quick way to change channels while watching "Live TV" in to push the "down arrow" then push "OK" to select "Last Watched" and select any prevous channel. This is much faster than going back to the menu.

How about making the "*" key (Star) on Roku active at all times and bring up the "Channel Select" menu, so you can enter the channel you want to watch and click "OK" and play that channel?  This would speed up channel selection.

Regular Contributor

@kenwvt wrote:

WHY OH WHY should using an app on my own roku cost MORE than a HD DTA ?  This is ridiculous !  The app is inferior to a DTA, the price should be less or free.  I will NOT be paying for this.

-Ken

... and don't forget that you're renting the HD DTA, which you can't buy. You should not have to rent the ROKU, which you own!

Silver Problem Solver

@kenwvt wrote:

-Ken

Because the app does much more than a DTA. A DTA only support up to Starter channels, Latino packages, and some oddballs like Economy and Family. It does NOT support premimum, OnDemand, etc... The Roku app is designed to replace a full cable box, and has access to everything.

Regular Contributor

@andyross wrote:

@kenwvt wrote:

-Ken

Because the app does much more than a DTA. A DTA only support up to Starter channels, Latino packages, and some oddballs like Economy and Family. It does NOT support premimum, OnDemand, etc... The Roku app is designed to replace a full cable box, and has access to everything.

So, now we get to rent an app??? Your description sounds exactly like the My XFINITY page on my browser.

Expert

@plummerl wrote:

@andyross wrote:

@kenwvt wrote:

-Ken

So, now we get to rent an app??? Your description sounds exactly like the My XFINITY page on my browser.

another customer here. You can load the HBO or Netflix app but you don't expect to use it without a subscription. Cable TV service is a for-profit business and an extra TV outlet must have revenue to pay the expenses paid to the providers of the entertainment (producers, networks, distributors).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

IRT the picture quality, mine is absolutely perfect. It may be because I'm using the new Roku Premier+.  I've used the App on three different TVs (26", 32", & 46") and all have as good a picture as the main X1 box.  Just my thoughts.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@andyross wrote:

@kenwvt wrote:

-Ken

another customer here. You can load the HBO or Netflix app but you don't expect to use it without a subscription. Cable TV service is a for-profit business and an extra TV outlet must have revenue to pay the expenses paid to the providers of the entertainment (producers, networks, distributors).

That's a ridiculous comparison! First of all, you conveniently failed to comment on the "My XFINITY" comparison. Secondly, I do pay for HBO & Netflix and many others. In every case, I'm free to watch it on the device of my choice, including the ROKU! How on earth is the ROKU, which I own, any different with respect to content that I am paying for?

Expert

@plummerl wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@andyross wrote:

@kenwvt wrote:

-Ken

That's a ridiculous comparison! First of all, you conveniently failed to comment on the "My XFINITY" comparison. Secondly, I do pay for HBO & Netflix and many others. In every case, I'm free to watch it on the device of my choice, including the ROKU! How on earth is the ROKU, which I own, any different with respect to content that I am paying for?

Comcast has to pay for each connected TV (subscriber outlets). Anyone know the cost to add a Tivo DVR to the home (payment to comcast)? 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@andyross wrote:

@kenwvt wrote:

-Ken

Comcast has to pay for each connected TV (subscriber outlets). Anyone know the cost to add a Tivo DVR to the home (payment to comcast)? 

No, because I'm paying over $30 a month rental on an X1 box and 2 X1 companion boxes, taxes not included. The Tivo is not owned by Comcast and already has a fee paid to Tivo. You are already paying for the content with your monthly Cable fee. I think I already covered this a few messages back.

How is the Roku app any different than the Xfinity live TV page I can access with my browser or the Xfinity TV app I have on my smartphone and tablets. They both connect to a watching device and control and deliver content, but in the case of the Roku app you can't control more than half of the functions of the X1 it's emulating. I don't pay to use the smartphone/tablet app, the Roku is no different and shouldn't require an extra fee to use, especially since we own the Rokus.

Expert

@workerdummy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@andyross wrote:

@kenwvt wrote:

<snip>

No, because I'm paying over $30 a month rental on an X1 box and 2 X1 companion boxes, taxes not included. The Tivo is not owned by Comcast and already has a fee paid to Tivo. You are already paying for the content with your monthly Cable fee. I think I already covered this a few messages back.

How is the Roku app any different than the Xfinity live TV page I can access with my browser or the Xfinity TV app I have on my smartphone and tablets. They both connect to a watching device and control and deliver content, but in the case of the Roku app you can't control more than half of the functions of the X1 it's emulating. I don't pay to use the smartphone/tablet app, the Roku is no different and shouldn't require an extra fee to use, especially since we own the Rokus.

snip didn't work right but anyway. So you don't get a charge from Comcast with your Tivo service? anyone can verify that information?

Regular Contributor

<snip>

@workerdummy wrote:
@Rustyben wrote:

<snip>

@Rustyben wrote:

snip didn't work right but anyway. So you don't get a charge from Comcast with your Tivo service? anyone can verify that information?

No, I don't know the cost because I don't have a Tivo and said so as you can see above. The rest is what I do know about Tivo's and paying extra for non-Comcast equipment.

Regular Contributor

If Comcast charges for each device, they will not have many takers. I currently have basic cable plus Internet. I pay for PS Vue. For the same channels, Comcast will cost me $60/more more than I pay now. So if there is a per device fee, I will keep Vue, which is only $40/mo, and I can watch on up to 5 devices for same price. No fee, and I will probably upgrade to a larger package.
Regular Visitor

You have to pay for the tivo's cable card, but, you get a discount so it ends up being 7.50 per month currently.  I have 2 of them currently.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Roku (Error createDrmSession.403-102)

Been having the same problem since day two of the beta. Tried every day. Called comcast and spent hours with different techs to no avail. Today it misteriously started working again. Maybe they fixed something in the back end. Hopefully I won't have that problem again.
Contributor

Rustyben,

You pay a total of $7.45/month for a Tivo DVR on your account. With that $7.45 you can record up to 6 channels at once, have access to On Demand and everything else that an X1 DVR can do. I would never compare a Roku to either an X1 or a Tivo to try to convince someone of why there may be a fee attached to the Roku. If you even try you're losing that discussion unless that fee is insanely cheap by Comcast standards(what are those right?).

You mention that Comcast has to pay the providers for each outlet in service. I wonder how the Tivo Mini got the okay to be built and be used on the Comcast system since isn't that by design a huge ripoff to these providers you mention since it allows you to have an additional outlet without an additional fee? I mean isn't everyone who uses a Mini just stealing from these providers going by what you're saying? Or if I watch my service on a phone is that not technically an additional outlet that they should have to pay for? Or what about my tablet? Or my laptop? Or desktop? Aren't those additional places of viewing going by your reasoning? Are we robbing Comcast and these providers blind because there's no charge for those? Are these providers you mention knocking down doors at the Comcast offices looking for more money for all the phone/tablet/cxomputer users? I'd love to hear why the Roku is so special that it "may" require an outlet fee while all the other equipment mentioned doesn't.

Expert

@chrishicks wrote:

Rustyben,

You pay a total of $7.45/month for a Tivo DVR on your account. With that $7.45 you can record up to 6 channels at once, have access to On Demand and everything else that an X1 DVR can do. I would never compare a Roku to either an X1 or a Tivo to try to convince someone of why there may be a fee attached to the Roku. If you even try you're losing that discussion unless that fee is insanely cheap by Comcast standards(what are those right?).

You mention that Comcast has to pay the providers for each outlet in service. I wonder how the Tivo Mini got the okay to be built and be used on the Comcast system since isn't that by design a huge ripoff to these providers you mention since it allows you to have an additional outlet without an additional fee? I mean isn't everyone who uses a Mini just stealing from these providers going by what you're saying? Or if I watch my service on a phone is that not technically an additional outlet that they should have to pay for? Or what about my tablet? Or my laptop? Or desktop? Aren't those additional places of viewing going by your reasoning? Are we robbing Comcast and these providers blind because there's no charge for those? Are these providers you mention knocking down doors at the Comcast offices looking for more money for all the phone/tablet/cxomputer users? I'd love to hear why the Roku is so special that it "may" require an outlet fee while all the other equipment mentioned doesn't.

apparently the contracts don't count device usage in the home that do not hook up to TVs (they still allow lap/desktops to connect via HDMI as that is a 'monitor' for those systems (under the law maybe?)

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@chrishicks wrote:

Rustyben,

apparently the contracts don't count device usage in the home that do not hook up to TVs (they still allow lap/desktops to connect via HDMI as that is a 'monitor' for those systems (under the law maybe?)

That sound you just heard was my head exploding. With what little brain cells I have left, I'd point out that in one sentence you have completely contradicted yourself. For your information, a ROKU is a device that IS A COMPUTER. It is connected to my TV via HDMI. It is actually using the internet to drop signals into my TV. It also provides HBO, Netflix, HULU, YouTube, my Facebook content, PBS, Amazon, etc, etc, etc. Amazingly, just like My XFINITY.

Regular Contributor

Not to be a pain but, I have now talked to Comcast several times about loss of local channels. At first they said I didn't have local channels, so I pointed out ALLEN of their packages include local channels. Then they said no HD. But I pay for HD. Their next solution was reload my devices, didn't work. Is anybody else having the same issue? I no longer have local channels on the mobile app either. Can anyone one help? Thanks in advance.
Expert

@asndad wrote:
Not to be a pain but, I have now talked to Comcast several times about loss of local channels. At first they said I didn't have local channels, so I pointed out ALLEN of their packages include local channels. Then they said no HD. But I pay for HD. Their next solution was reload my devices, didn't work. Is anybody else having the same issue? I no longer have local channels on the mobile app either. Can anyone one help? Thanks in advance.

on a previous post you said you have basic cable. What equipment do you have from Comcast and how is it connected to your TV equipment (coax, composite, HDMI)?

Regular Contributor

I have one HD cable box connected to a single TV. It is connected via HDMI cable. It has the local channels in SD and HD, along with HBO and Streampix.
Frequent Visitor

This "fee" argument boggles my mind. Why would any paying customer agree with any fee whatsoever? This is your equipment. You finally own your own set top box and you're willing to pay Comcast a rental fee to watch their programming on it? I just can't understand how anyone would be OK with this. I personally will be cancelling Comcast if they even want to charge me a penny for my Rokus. I still struggle with the "HD" fee as this is the standard now. Comcast will try to pinch everything and anything they can out of their customers. Any paying customer that openly admits to being OK with even a minimal fee, is the reason Comcast continues to charge these fees. If they know you're OK with it, they're going to charge you. Take a stance...Let them know you will not pay a fee and you will cancel your service is there is one. Things will never change unless they start losing customers.
Tags (1)
Expert

@asndad wrote:
I have one HD cable box connected to a single TV. It is connected via HDMI cable. It has the local channels in SD and HD, along with HBO and Streampix.

I guess i'm confused because in your posts (976, 997 above) you said you don't have local channels nor HD. Do you mean you have them on your home HD set top box but not on the live app? Would you verify you have the X1 entertainment package (includes live TV in home on smartphones and tablets as well as desk/laptops?

New Poster

I will be more and more active in my quest to replace xfinity completely in response to an additional charge for me using my Roku boxes that I purchased. I want to hang my TVs on the wall like the rest of the civilized world but really cannot since the 1970s style "cable box" provided by Comcast keeps me from doing so. This is completely outrageous and further proof of their lobbyists buying our politicians to keep their monopoly in place. I'm so disgusted with this company's practices of bilking customers who are forced to do business with them. SHAME ON YOU COMCAST!!!!
Regular Contributor

I have both on the box. It is not an X1 box. Neither the Roku, nor Mobile app will allow access to local channels. The Comcast rep stated that I should be able to access local channels on the apps, tried to "reload" the apps, whatever that means. Still no local channels. Only get government, "QVC" type, and three of the HBO channels. In my area, starting at channel 17, but no local channels.
Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

While the Roku app works well in conjunction with an X1 rental box that I already pay handsomely for, additional fees proposed for Roku hardware that I own are unconscionable. Enough is enough.

Highlighted
Contributor

I received a new Roku Stick as a gift today, and thanks to everything I've been reading on this thread (and hopefully some improvements by the Comcast team) setup was a snap! Definitely happy with the picture and sound so far watching live TV, haven't tested On Demand or recordings yet (and my local channels are coming in fine). The guide could definitely use some improvement as covered already, if it could be filtered to Favorites and also remember the last viewed channel to start playing from again those would be solid initial updates. It would also be nice if live TV can continue playing in the background while navigating the guide or other areas as on an X1 box, but I understand if that isn't possible due to hardware or streaming limitations. Navigation is a bit kludgy but certainly that's largely down to the remote from Roku. If there was some way to utilize a Comcast remote app or even a physical remote to improve things that would be pretty handy, but it's not a huge concern of mine. The biggest concern is definitely any potential fees above what I already pay for my package and cloud DVR, that's a non-starter for me after the beta period since this is outright owned equipment with nothing needing to be leased from Comcast such as a cable card.

New Poster

Xfinity on Roku is USELESS!!!

Use my Roku to travel amd access television content easily. Have been excited for XFinity to add an app..... until they released it and I find out I can't access my comcast account through the Roku UNLESS IM ON MY HOME WIFI. What cheap skate thought that horrible idea up? I have cable boxes at home so why would I need to use my Roku at home? What happened to being able to enjoy MY XFINITY subscription ANY TIME, ANY WHERE???? Way to fail. Thanks for all the lead up for the app FOR NOTHING. Epic Fail
New Poster

OMG fix this app already the emergency alert thing breaks the app it pops up then screens goes black have to close the app n when I start to watch TV a min later the emergency alert pops back up the testing is done cause it's not happening on the set top boxes so annoying having the app finally come after being late now can't even use it cause of the broken emergency alert 

Expert

@Jeffery_ wrote:

OMG fix this app already the emergency alert thing breaks the app it pops up then screens goes black have to close the app n when I start to watch TV a min later the emergency alert pops back up the testing is done cause it's not happening on the set top boxes so annoying having the app finally come after being late now can't even use it cause of the broken emergency alert 

it is good to get the feedback but remember that this is a free beta. Probably pretty impossible to have the real world emergency alerts interaction.

Contributor

If you think this is all bad, you obviously haven't tried Directv Now.
Frequent Visitor

One quick way to change channels while watching "Live TV" is to push the "down arrow" then push "OK" to select "Last Watched" then scroll left or right to select any prevous channel. This is much faster than going back to the menu.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku - Additional user feedback

This is an excellent format...kudos to mikewdec54 and apologies for stealing his format Smiley Happy

I might suggest to the moderator(s) that they employ a similar format for folks to use to provide consistent and helpful feedback as a sticky post at the top of the forum.

My feedback:

Background info:
    * X1 Basic cable with HD+HBO/Starz/Showtime/Cinemax
    * Performance (25/5) Internet
    * SB6121 Modem (personally owned, not leased)
    * Roku TV Insignia model (2016)

* My family streams a lot , Netflix, Amazon Prime, DirectTV now

* Atlanta market

* Picture quality very good - Slighly laggy on sports channels, prolly due to compression or slower refrsh rate. HD looks just as clean and clear as my X1 cable box ouput
    * Channel guide shows only subscribed channels, not the entire guide (yay!, I hate this about my X1 cable box)
    * LOVE LOVE LOVE not having a box, and please dont get crazy with the idea of charging for this app. As others have said, you dont charge for phones/tablets steaming no sense here either. I get it that the boxes are a cash cow but we live in the 2010's Smiley Happy  

Dislikes/needs fixing:
     * I find the guide to be somehow? disorienting with regards to how it is selecting the program that is currently in play as I scroll down. I often find the guide shifts to earlier/later than the current show. Not sure how else to describe this behavior. Seems overly picky I know, and I usually am pretty low maintenance, but find this quite annoying Smiley Sad. Does not behave like the X1 guide does.
    * Live channel guide starts at channel 2; should remember last watched channel as starting point. (ditto)
    * Also would like to see the Starz HD streams working as previously posted. I also see that issue where I select the HD on demand version but still get the SD version. Basically unwatchable on a 1080p set. 

Suggested improvements:
    * Better filtering on the channel guide (HD only, favorite channels, etc.)
    * Better navigation on the channel guide (page-up/page-down scrolling)
    * Channel information a bit more detail like X1 shows: provide listing of next several hours of programming on the channel
    * Show current channel while searching the channel guide, either as a transparent background or as a dedicated block in the corner of the guide screen
    * Set a "reminder" for a future program so that it will automatically switch to that program when it comes on
    * Ability to remove channels from the "last watched" or "saved" lists. Unsure how deep the channel history list goes.

* Port this app to AppleTV/Amazon FireTV devices. 

Comments:

So I am echoing others, but frankly am quite excited about this devlopment. If it were not for this app I would only have internet and Xfinity would not be getting another $30/month out of me. If Xfinity charges for this I will drop to internet only immediately.

This is indeed the future of television and while I applaud xfinity adding netflix to the X1 platform for those with a more full package (the package I had until a couple of weeks ago) this is the future.

Embrace it Xfinity!

We (your Beta users) can help!!

New Poster

Warning** Read the fine print carefully. Once the beta test is done, Comcast will charge you a monthly equipment fee, simply for usng the app on your (privately paid and owned) Roku. Comcast loves to bait you, then stick it to you. I'm not even going to try.      

New Poster

Yeah i agree its extremely likely but not gauranteed. No flames about being naive please...assuming they charge i opt out

From the faqs:
Is there a charge for using the XFINITY TV Beta app on Roku?
Customers will not pay equipment charges with respect to their use of Roku devices. All other fees associated with a customer's service will apply, except that, during the Beta trial, additional outlet charges for services to outlets connected to Roku devices are being waived. On conclusion of the trial, you will be informed of the charges that will apply for connecting this device with your XFINITY TV service and will have the opportunity to opt in.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity on Roku is USELESS!!!

It's called beta for a reason. Chill out and complain if you have those problems when the full version is released.
New Poster

Comcast staff

I'm having an issue with new Xfinity app for Roku.  The image quality doesnt seem great and the video does not fill my television screen, regardless of the program resolution.  Even the aspect ratio matches my screen (which is a normal current generation wide screen televesion), the images only partially fills the screen.  

I have a good quality router, I have a good connection to the wireless network, I have 200 mbps comcast/Xfinity internet, my laptop in the same room gets a good quality image.

Is this a known issue with the application?  Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

New Poster

Are you on the HD version of the channel?  What you're describing happened to me when I was on the SD channels. 

New Poster

I also am not getting local networks on the app. It skips these channels in the guide. Is this a known issue?
Regular Contributor

I have talked to Comcast three times now about loss of local channels. They said they needed to "reload" the app, whatever that means. I deleted the app, restarted, re-signed in, but still no local channels. I do not get the on the mobile app either, now. Can someone help fix this?
Contributor

Anyone know if this counts towards our data cap?
Regular Contributor

According to Comcast, it does not.
Contributor

They say it doesn't, but it's still counting against ours. I've accounted for every IP address in our network and it's that for sure so I haven't been using it much.
Frequent Visitor

I would like a way to set or import favorites, pause and rewind live TV, and pull up the program grid without having to exit the program I am watching.

As for bandwidth usage, I think just about everybody has a terabyte limit. Even if the beta is showing up on your bandwidth usage (and I can't verify that it is), you'd have to watch it many, many hours to go over 1 TB.

Contributor

We were a strictly streaming household up until this app was released. It doesn't take long at all to burn up 1TB. Especially when you have kids and a wife home for a good majority of the day.
New Poster

Roku Beta Feedback - Error code "DRM-3" when watching Weather Channel

I have the Roku beta channel up and running and works great with a glitch

The Weather Channel wont load (any of them) 

When I click "watch" it shows up for about 1 second - then displays error "DRM-3"

Is something that will be getting fixed?

Let me know and thanks

Regular Contributor

We stream around 16 hour/day, various Roku apps, and do online banking/bill pay, and average about 900 gb per month.