Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku


@ComcastDan wrote:

@lkpolovchik wrote:

How do you opt out of this app once it is authorized? Is it as simple as signing out of the app and removing it from the Roku device?


What do you mean by "opt out"?  Within the app settings area, there is a "Sign out" option. There's no way for Comcast to know if the app is installed on your device or not, only if it is signed in and being used, so removing it from your device is optional.


I believe what is being asked is, once fees are institued, how do you ensure that fees are not assessed for devices where the app is no longer in use?  Will My Account eventually show authorized Rokus? 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku

Just to offer my experience so far with it.

 

Installed it yesterday and besides the many issues others have mentioned like the audio and the video completely out of sink perhaps it's a little bit worse for me as it freezez the entire tv and after a short while it restarts itself as it would be completely unusable. Like besides pluginning it out there woulnd't be anything i could do to unfreeze it.

 

But good job launching the beta app, looking forward to a functional app.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I have a few more comments about the App, hopefully not repeating something others have said, but, if so, well, guess I agree!

 

  1. When the guide comes up, it does not set itself to the current time.  It allows you to select a show in the past and then gives you the option to record it.  This is very confusing - it should behave more like the guides on the DVR and other boxes.
  2. When you are watching a channel, having to go back to the guide to go to another channel is very clumsy.  It should be possible to shortcut to another channel more easily, e.g. use the up and down arrows to go to another channel or hit the * key to pop up the channel selector.
  3. When you go in the guide, you have to down arrow onto a channel first to hit the * to enter a channel #.  This is a pain, just allow for * key entry right away.

 

Contributor

Roku/ Samsung app

Now that the Xfinity beta app for Roku has been released there has been talk of a fee. 

 

Am I safe to assume if there's a fee for the use of a Roku app it will apply to the Samsung smart TV app as well? 

 

Also will there be any difference between the two? 

 

I am currently using the Xfinity beta app on my Roku but also have a 2016 Samsung smart TV and when the app is released on there I was wondering how that would work as far as cost? In other words would I need to choose between the two or pay double for both? Thanks

 

Official Employee

Re: Roku/ Samsung app


@Lonniew wrote:

Now that the Xfinity beta app for Roku has been released there has been talk of a fee. 

 

Am I safe to assume if there's a fee for the use of a Roku app it will apply to the Samsung smart TV app as well? 

 

Also will there be any difference between the two? 

 

I am currently using the Xfinity beta app on my Roku but also have a 2016 Samsung smart TV and when the app is released on there I was wondering how that would work as far as cost? In other words would I need to choose between the two or pay double for both? Thanks

 


Hi Lonniew,

 

I don't have any information on potential future pricing policies. Samsung will likely offer comparable features and would look to our systems like another outlet since we have no way of knowing if the Roku is connected to the Samsung TV or something else.  As you know, there's no charge for the beta version of the Roku app and nothing firm announced post-beta.

 

-ComcastDan


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Hi - I downloaded the beta app, and it seems to work OK so far.  However, I also tried to use screen-mirroring from my Fire HD tablet using the Xfinity TV app to cast to my Roku 3, and this functionality has been disabled.  Why?  (other than the fee you will eventually charge to use the Xfinity TV app on Roku, I mean...)

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku


@mark.bidewell wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@lkpolovchik wrote:

How do you opt out of this app once it is authorized? Is it as simple as signing out of the app and removing it from the Roku device?


What do you mean by "opt out"?  Within the app settings area, there is a "Sign out" option. There's no way for Comcast to know if the app is installed on your device or not, only if it is signed in and being used, so removing it from your device is optional.


I believe what is being asked is, once fees are institued, how do you ensure that fees are not assessed for devices where the app is no longer in use?  Will My Account eventually show authorized Rokus? 


I don't have any info on potential fees but can speculate on what may happen when we transition from the beta to full production version of the app. I'm guessing that we would deprovision (unauthorize) all existing Roku devices which would force customers to sign in again and accept any updated terms of service and potential fees.

 

Again, this is speculation but seems logical based on what I know about our back-end systems.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku


@gabedilaurentis wrote:

Just to offer my experience so far with it.

 

Installed it yesterday and besides the many issues others have mentioned like the audio and the video completely out of sink perhaps it's a little bit worse for me as it freezez the entire tv and after a short while it restarts itself as it would be completely unusable. Like besides pluginning it out there woulnd't be anything i could do to unfreeze it.

 

But good job launching the beta app, looking forward to a functional app.


Sorry you are experiencing issues. Can you tell us what type of Roku equipment you have (model)?


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@BBurgDave wrote:

I have a few more comments about the App, hopefully not repeating something others have said, but, if so, well, guess I agree!

 

  1. When the guide comes up, it does not set itself to the current time.  It allows you to select a show in the past and then gives you the option to record it.  This is very confusing - it should behave more like the guides on the DVR and other boxes.
  2. When you are watching a channel, having to go back to the guide to go to another channel is very clumsy.  It should be possible to shortcut to another channel more easily, e.g. use the up and down arrows to go to another channel or hit the * key to pop up the channel selector.
  3. When you go in the guide, you have to down arrow onto a channel first to hit the * to enter a channel #.  This is a pain, just allow for * key entry right away.

 


Great feedback. Thank you!


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@jkco wrote:

Hi - I downloaded the beta app, and it seems to work OK so far.  However, I also tried to use screen-mirroring from my Fire HD tablet using the Xfinity TV app to cast to my Roku 3, and this functionality has been disabled.  Why?  (other than the fee you will eventually charge to use the Xfinity TV app on Roku, I mean...)


We are prevented from screen mirroring due to contractual restrictions from the content providers (studios and networks). It is related to DRM (digital rights management) which protects content from theft.  Roku has its own DRM as do the mobile apps. However, when mirroring from mobile apps to another device, it opens the possibility of digitally recording the content. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku

I have a Sharp LC-50LB481U TV. I also could not unfreeze without unplugging. The app apparently overrode the remote.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@egnlsn wrote:


While I do have a TV I could use this on, if the fee is going to be more than $2 or $3, I'll pass. I watch/record all of my local stuff OTA anyway.

__________________

Look like it will cost $7.45 per device after a $2.50 credit.

 

Quoted from Ars Technica:

 

"Comcast responded to us and confirmed that Roku devices will be treated similarly to CableCard devices in terms of pricing. Customers who use a Roku as a "primary outlet" after the beta is over will get a $2.50 credit on their bill; the "primary outlet" isn't an itemized fee but is included as part of paying for a TV subscription. Using a Roku as an "additional outlet" will cost $9.95, but the $2.50 credit will lower the price to $7.45. Xfinity TV app access on phones and tablets does not cost extra."

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku


@prkhoury wrote:

I have a Sharp LC-50LB481U TV. I also could not unfreeze without unplugging. The app apparently overrode the remote.


Thanks for the feedback and info on your hardware. Appreciated!


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

This worked for me the very first day I tried it, then ever since I get this message.  My cable modem/router is provided by Comcast.

 

This device can only access XFINITY TV on your in-home XFINITY WiFi.  Use the app on your smartphone, tablet or laptop to watch on the go, any time you like.

 

(Error createDrmSession, 403-102)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku

Yes, that is exactly what I was asking. The app is hit or miss for me. Definitely not worth an extra fee for the few hours a day it may be in use. If the Roku remote was better that would help me tolerate an additional fee. For now, I've signed out and I use my Roku with all my other apps. 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Just wanted to note that I cannot get this to activate/authorize with an Xfinity On Campus account.  It goes through the process and shows successful on my phone or PC, but the Roku app shows an error.  Bottom right corner is (Error setDeviceProvision.401).  I can authorize it using my personal account fine, but not with my university account.

 

Any thoughts?

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@fieroguy_80 wrote:

Just wanted to note that I cannot get this to activate/authorize with an Xfinity On Campus account.  It goes through the process and shows successful on my phone or PC, but the Roku app shows an error.  Bottom right corner is (Error setDeviceProvision.401).  I can authorize it using my personal account fine, but not with my university account.

 

Any thoughts?


XFINITY on Campus isn't yet supported but will be in a future update. Stay tuned...


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@thebeltzfamily wrote:

This worked for me the very first day I tried it, then ever since I get this message.  My cable modem/router is provided by Comcast.

 

This device can only access XFINITY TV on your in-home XFINITY WiFi.  Use the app on your smartphone, tablet or laptop to watch on the go, any time you like.

 

(Error createDrmSession, 403-102)


I'm sorry it stopped working. Have you tried signing out and back in again?  You can sign out from the Settings menu.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Any information yet about getting Starz On Demand content in HD?  I have the option to select one of 2 streams, so I select the one with the "HD" symbol, but as soon as it starts playing, I can see from the fuzzy title and fuzzy parental rating that it is not HD.

 

I get Starz in HD resolution for Live TV and the Starz app for Fire TV provided me HD resolution before Xfinity stopped authorizing it for Fire TV.

 

Any update on this issue?

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

After using the Roku app for a few days, I am generally pleased. Here is some feedback:

 

Background info:
    * Non-X1 Digital Starter + HD subscription, no DVR
    * Performance (25/5?) Internet
    * SB6141 Modem (personally owned, not leased)
    * Roku 3 (4230X) - hard-wired ethernet

Likes:
    * Picture quality very good - no pixelation noticeable (my cable has signal issues on some channels that made HD difficult to watch)
    * Channel guide shows only subscribed channels, not the entire guide
    * "Last Watched" button, allowing quick access to previously watched channels
    * "Saved", which looks like an extension of the "last watched" feature

Dislikes/needs fixing:
    * Closed captioning - inconsistent, frequently lose captioning especially when changing channels and going back. Haven't figured out a reliable way to restore captioning.
    * Live channel guide starts at channel 2; should remember last watched channel as starting point.
    * Live programs "buffer" at the end of the program as the next program prepares to play. Typically 30-60 seconds prior to the end of the program.
    * Occasional lock-up of the app, sometimes requiring reboot of the Roku. Usually happens when starting the app.

Suggested improvements:
    * Better filtering on the channel guide (HD only, favorite channels, etc.)
    * Better navigation on the channel guide (page-up/page-down scrolling)
    * Channel information: provide listing of next several hours of programming on the channel
    * Show current channel while searching the channel guide, either as a transparent background or as a dedicated block in the corner of the guide screen
    * Set a "reminder" for a future program so that it will automatically switch to that program when it comes on
    * Ability to remove channels from the "last watched" or "saved" lists. Unsure how deep the channel history list goes.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I have had the same issue. I spent 2 hours on the phone with the tech support guy and he couldn't get it fixed either. 

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@tasewell wrote:

Any information yet about getting Starz On Demand content in HD?  I have the option to select one of 2 streams, so I select the one with the "HD" symbol, but as soon as it starts playing, I can see from the fuzzy title and fuzzy parental rating that it is not HD.

 

I get Starz in HD resolution for Live TV and the Starz app for Fire TV provided me HD resolution before Xfinity stopped authorizing it for Fire TV.

 

Any update on this issue?


I saw this listed on our technical team's list of known issues with the Roku beta.  It is still being investigated so I don't have an ETA on resolution.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I'm having the same exact issue and Comcast can't resolve. It started when I upgraded my router from an asus ac1900 to an rtac3100. It appears to be a DRM issue.
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@mikewdec54 wrote:

After using the Roku app for a few days, I am generally pleased. Here is some feedback:

 

Background info:
    * Non-X1 Digital Starter + HD subscription, no DVR
    * Performance (25/5?) Internet
    * SB6141 Modem (personally owned, not leased)
    * Roku 3 (4230X) - hard-wired ethernet

Likes:
    * Picture quality very good - no pixelation noticeable (my cable has signal issues on some channels that made HD difficult to watch)
    * Channel guide shows only subscribed channels, not the entire guide
    * "Last Watched" button, allowing quick access to previously watched channels
    * "Saved", which looks like an extension of the "last watched" feature

Dislikes/needs fixing:
    * Closed captioning - inconsistent, frequently lose captioning especially when changing channels and going back. Haven't figured out a reliable way to restore captioning.
    * Live channel guide starts at channel 2; should remember last watched channel as starting point.
    * Live programs "buffer" at the end of the program as the next program prepares to play. Typically 30-60 seconds prior to the end of the program.
    * Occasional lock-up of the app, sometimes requiring reboot of the Roku. Usually happens when starting the app.

Suggested improvements:
    * Better filtering on the channel guide (HD only, favorite channels, etc.)
    * Better navigation on the channel guide (page-up/page-down scrolling)
    * Channel information: provide listing of next several hours of programming on the channel
    * Show current channel while searching the channel guide, either as a transparent background or as a dedicated block in the corner of the guide screen
    * Set a "reminder" for a future program so that it will automatically switch to that program when it comes on
    * Ability to remove channels from the "last watched" or "saved" lists. Unsure how deep the channel history list goes.


Excellent feedback and format. Much appreciated!


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@hkerrisk wrote:

I have had the same issue. I spent 2 hours on the phone with the tech support guy and he couldn't get it fixed either. 


Please use the "Quote" feature when replying to another user's post (upper right corner of input area). Otherwise, it is hard to understand what issue you are referring to.

 

Thanks,

ComcastDan


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@ComcastDan wrote:

@tasewell wrote:

Any information yet about getting Starz On Demand content in HD?  I have the option to select one of 2 streams, so I select the one with the "HD" symbol, but as soon as it starts playing, I can see from the fuzzy title and fuzzy parental rating that it is not HD.

 

I get Starz in HD resolution for Live TV and the Starz app for Fire TV provided me HD resolution before Xfinity stopped authorizing it for Fire TV.

 

Any update on this issue?


I saw this listed on our technical team's list of known issues with the Roku beta.  It is still being investigated so I don't have an ETA on resolution.


Thank you for the update!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

More testing; more success; and more frustration, but it's beta.

 

For those who haven't discovered all the "tricks" of the interface, after the Guide starts at Channel 2 then hit the "*" key and you can then select any channel. Entering 802 wll move the guide to the HD channels. Of course there are no favorites yet and no Page Up/Down keys to speed up the guide, but it's beta.

 

Some channels start right away, others take up to 15 seconds, and some just don't start at all. Similarly the guide sometimes takes 5–15 seconds to fill in content.

 

I've also encountered some serious sync issues on some channels where the sound is about 15 seconds ahead of the picture (or I guess the video is up to 15 seconds behind the sound).

 

No problems viewing Cloud DVR saved shows and I was able to resume from spot watched on another device.

Expert

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@Jcornett wrote:
I'm having the same exact issue and Comcast can't resolve. It started when I upgraded my router from an asus ac1900 to an rtac3100. It appears to be a DRM issue.

did you by chance enter your own DNS servers or just used the comcast default servers?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

@ComcastDan

 

Since someone responded to my question about whether the app only supports stereo sound (that is apparently the case), do you know if it's on the list to support surround sound in a future update?  Thanks!!

 

(I apologize to everyone if I sound like a broken record on surround sound but that feature is important to me and I suspect a few of you may agree if you have decent home theater setups)

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@SamuriHL wrote:

@ComcastDan

 

Since someone responded to my question about whether the app only supports stereo sound (that is apparently the case), do you know if it's on the list to support surround sound in a future update?  Thanks!!

 

(I apologize to everyone if I sound like a broken record on surround sound but that feature is important to me and I suspect a few of you may agree if you have decent home theater setups)


Surround sound is important to me as well so I appreciate the question. I also saw this on a list of known issues with the beta so assume it is being looked into. I'll see if I can get more info on timing. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Started using the app a few days ago. The only use I'm particulary concered with is watching local channels on a bedroom TV. It's pretty much useless at this point as A/V sync goes out consistently after a minute or so of cuing up a local channel. Really far out as to make it unwatchable. Also the app seems to be unstable and has crashed my TV (Roku built-in) causing it to reboot. I know it's beta still, but it's not really useable for me at this point. 

Regular Contributor

X1 Roku App

So I installed the X1 app onto my Roku and the only thing I can get working on it is to set a DVR recording - was just wondering if anybody else had any luck actually watching programs?

Sure the guide works and be On Demand section lists everything out but when you click watch it comes up with an error message.
Tags (2)
IMG_3427.JPG
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@ComcastDan wrote:

@SamuriHL wrote:

@ComcastDan

 

Since someone responded to my question about whether the app only supports stereo sound (that is apparently the case), do you know if it's on the list to support surround sound in a future update?  Thanks!!

 

(I apologize to everyone if I sound like a broken record on surround sound but that feature is important to me and I suspect a few of you may agree if you have decent home theater setups)


Surround sound is important to me as well so I appreciate the question. I also saw this on a list of known issues with the beta so assume it is being looked into. I'll see if I can get more info on timing. 


That would be much appreciated.  It would be nice if they implemented it before the beta ended so we can try it out.

Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I'm finding the Express+ is for the most part working ok, only the occasional freeze or app close. Picture quality for my SD sets is good. Haven't had any audio syncing problems.

 

What I'm seeing as the app's biggest problem aside from any kind of a fee to use it is the remote control. The Roku remote control is not going to cut it. The X1 platform has way too many functions for a small, basic 7 button remote to operate. I've yet to hear anyone mention how the programmers plan to deal with that problem.

New Poster

Live TV Delayed By 1-2 Minutes

Looks like Live TV is offset by a minute or two, but programming changes (going from one show to the next on the same TV network) occur in the real time, so you miss part of the whole ending of the current show. In other words, shows stream with a delay, but switching from show-to-show occurs in real time. As the switching blanks the screen for about 15 seconds or so, you miss that part completely.

 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@two_bits_11 wrote:

@egnlsn wrote:


While I do have a TV I could use this on, if the fee is going to be more than $2 or $3, I'll pass. I watch/record all of my local stuff OTA anyway.

__________________

Look like it will cost $7.45 per device after a $2.50 credit.

 

Quoted from Ars Technica:

 

"Comcast responded to us and confirmed that Roku devices will be treated similarly to CableCard devices in terms of pricing. Customers who use a Roku as a "primary outlet" after the beta is over will get a $2.50 credit on their bill; the "primary outlet" isn't an itemized fee but is included as part of paying for a TV subscription. Using a Roku as an "additional outlet" will cost $9.95, but the $2.50 credit will lower the price to $7.45. Xfinity TV app access on phones and tablets does not cost extra."


At this point this is hearsay at best.

As has been mentioned multiple times here, the pricing structure isn't available to the public if it's even been determined yet. Everyone that's quoted this pricing, has quoted it from the same source ARS Technica: who is quoting an un-named source at comcast. (Hence why it's hearsay)

This app is entirely different than any other cable outlet and will likely be treated diffrently as well if/when it comes to pricing.

I'm going to wait until I hear or see something directly from Xfinity/Comcast rather then jump to conclusions.

~Bruce

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@canetree1 wrote:

Started using the app a few days ago. The only use I'm particulary concered with is watching local channels on a bedroom TV. It's pretty much useless at this point as A/V sync goes out consistently after a minute or so of cuing up a local channel. Really far out as to make it unwatchable. Also the app seems to be unstable and has crashed my TV (Roku built-in) causing it to reboot. I know it's beta still, but it's not really useable for me at this point. 


If you're just wanting local channels, why not just get an HD antenna?  Only one remote to use, no need to go through the guide (some TV's have a guide of their own, my Samsung does and it works nicely), no extra charges.  Simpler.

New Poster

roku xfinity ap

roku xfinithy ap did not work yesterday on all rokus I had installed with ap. Where is info on why?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@nwikoff wrote:

@canetree1 wrote:

Started using the app a few days ago. The only use I'm particulary concered with is watching local channels on a bedroom TV. It's pretty much useless at this point as A/V sync goes out consistently after a minute or so of cuing up a local channel. Really far out as to make it unwatchable. Also the app seems to be unstable and has crashed my TV (Roku built-in) causing it to reboot. I know it's beta still, but it's not really useable for me at this point. 


If you're just wanting local channels, why not just get an HD antenna?  Only one remote to use, no need to go through the guide (some TV's have a guide of their own, my Samsung does and it works nicely), no extra charges.  Simpler.


Not everyone can get all of their local channels. I'm one of the lucky ones who can, but it took forever (4 years of trying different antennas and positioning) to get all of the local channels on all of my TVs. That's one of the reasons I really was hoping this Roku app would be everything I dreampt it would be, so that I wouldn't have to worry about weather or air quality for getting all of the channels.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku


@ComcastDan wrote:

@mark.bidewell wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@lkpolovchik wrote:

How do you opt out of this app once it is authorized? Is it as simple as signing out of the app and removing it from the Roku device?


What do you mean by "opt out"?  Within the app settings area, there is a "Sign out" option. There's no way for Comcast to know if the app is installed on your device or not, only if it is signed in and being used, so removing it from your device is optional.


I believe what is being asked is, once fees are institued, how do you ensure that fees are not assessed for devices where the app is no longer in use?  Will My Account eventually show authorized Rokus? 


I don't have any info on potential fees but can speculate on what may happen when we transition from the beta to full production version of the app. I'm guessing that we would deprovision (unauthorize) all existing Roku devices which would force customers to sign in again and accept any updated terms of service and potential fees.

 

Again, this is speculation but seems logical based on what I know about our back-end systems.


Thanks, thats part of it.  However, once the beta ends, the situation is exacerbated.  The 3rd party STB/Smart TV market is far more fluid than the STB rental market.  People swap devices a lot, someone swaps a roku STB for a Roku TV or vice vera.  Or if the partner program takes off possibly an Apple TV or Nvidia SHIELD.  Ensuring the correct devices are activated is critical from a customer service standpoint once fees are being assessed.  On my Amazon Account, I can view a list of devices I have authorized for my account, and I can force deauthorization of a device if necessary.  Is something like this planned for Xfinity My Account?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@BruceDelaney wrote:


At this point this is hearsay at best.


You are absolutely correct. Multiple sites all quoting unnamed Comcast representatives.

 

This app is entirely different than any other cable outlet and will likely be treated diffrently as well if/when it comes to pricing.

Again you are correct, and it should be treated differently. Hopefully free or near free as all other streaming apps are free.

 

This may be Comcast floating this out there to gauge the reaction. It would then be important for Comcast to know that this is unacceptable.

 

It must be tempting though as this would be a great revenue generator. This would make a ton more money than procuring, deploying, and supporting old set top boxes.

 

-Tom

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@two_bits_11 wrote:

@BruceDelaney wrote:


At this point this is hearsay at best.


You are absolutely correct. Multiple sites all quoting unnamed Comcast representatives.

 

This app is entirely different than any other cable outlet and will likely be treated diffrently as well if/when it comes to pricing.

Again you are correct, and it should be treated differently. Hopefully free or near free as all other streaming apps are free.

 

This may be Comcast floating this out there to gauge the reaction. It would then be important for Comcast to know that this is unacceptable.

 

It must be tempting though as this would be a great revenue generator. This would make a ton more money than procuring, deploying, and supporting old set top boxes.

 

-Tom

 


I agree, this should be free. I hope it's free. IMO, the only fee that would be remotely acceptable would a single VERY SMALL monthly fee to use the ROKU app on as many devices as I see fit. Just my two cents.

The possility of this app having a per device charge has halted me from purchasing any more Roku Devices depending on if there is a fee and how much it might be and on what T&C's will dertermine my next step in handling my TV watching in my house. I may be forced to just move my Roku stick to different rooms when needed or purchase HDMI Windows Sticks that can run the Browser version of the app.

 

 

~Bruce

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku


@mark.bidewell wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@mark.bidewell wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@lkpolovchik wrote:

How do you opt out of this app once it is authorized? Is it as simple as signing out of the app and removing it from the Roku device?


What do you mean by "opt out"?  Within the app settings area, there is a "Sign out" option. There's no way for Comcast to know if the app is installed on your device or not, only if it is signed in and being used, so removing it from your device is optional.


I believe what is being asked is, once fees are institued, how do you ensure that fees are not assessed for devices where the app is no longer in use?  Will My Account eventually show authorized Rokus? 


I don't have any info on potential fees but can speculate on what may happen when we transition from the beta to full production version of the app. I'm guessing that we would deprovision (unauthorize) all existing Roku devices which would force customers to sign in again and accept any updated terms of service and potential fees.

 

Again, this is speculation but seems logical based on what I know about our back-end systems.


Thanks, thats part of it.  However, once the beta ends, the situation is exacerbated.  The 3rd party STB/Smart TV market is far more fluid than the STB rental market.  People swap devices a lot, someone swaps a roku STB for a Roku TV or vice vera.  Or if the partner program takes off possibly an Apple TV or Nvidia SHIELD.  Ensuring the correct devices are activated is critical from a customer service standpoint once fees are being assessed.  On my Amazon Account, I can view a list of devices I have authorized for my account, and I can force deauthorization of a device if necessary.  Is something like this planned for Xfinity My Account?


Your point is well taken but I don't have any information on any potential future pricing plans so not sure if or how this would be managed. I agree that it gets more challenging with customer-owned devices - particularly if fees become involved.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: X1 Roku App


@DigitalGENOcyde wrote:
So I installed the X1 app onto my Roku and the only thing I can get working on it is to set a DVR recording - was just wondering if anybody else had any luck actually watching programs?

Sure the guide works and be On Demand section lists everything out but when you click watch it comes up with an error message.

generally DRM errors for any device are triggered by the handshake and 'agreement' that a device is not 'blocked'. Try hooking up that roku to another device or try a different Roku. Also remove any cable between the roku and the TV for testing.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Roku App

Thanks for the response, but I only have one TV to hook the Roku up to and only one Roku to use. Additionally if I disconnect the cable how would I see what the output is from the Roku and if it still shows the error message?
Expert

Re: X1 Roku App


@DigitalGENOcyde wrote:
Thanks for the response, but I only have one TV to hook the Roku up to and only one Roku to use. Additionally if I disconnect the cable how would I see what the output is from the Roku and if it still shows the error message?

I meant plug it directly into the television HDMI port if it is a stick and not into something else that then hooks up to the television.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Roku App

No I have the Roku 3 and it's plugged directly into my television.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Any rough timeframe on when improvements to the app might be made available? I have an Insignia Roku TV (Model: NS-40DR420NA16) that performs very poorly with the Xfinity Roku app in regard to HD channels. Streams either do not start, or start and play for a minute before the screen flickers once and audio goes out of sync. The app frequently crashes when exiting a stream, and is entirely unpleasant to use. I know many Roku TV users are reporting the same in this thread. Just wondering if there is any established beta version rollout schedule and associated release notes?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

@ComcastDan:

 

Equipment: Roku Streaming Stick (3600R)

 

New Problem popped up: It seems that while watching a few different channels for short periods of time that the stream will buffer and video will come back but sound doesn't. This happened 2 times yesterday morning, 1 time yesterday evening and then again 1 more time this morning. The only thing that would bring the audio back was hitting the Roku's back arrow key and then choosing the "Watch" option again which did in fact clear it up.

 

I hope this is helpful,

~Bruce