Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

@Eddmont wrote:

I have a Roku 3 and I'm still having trouble watching local broadcast channels. The channels aren't showing up in the guide. I have logged out and signed back in and nothing. Anyone have any ideas? All the other channels are working fine.

If possible, please confirm if the issue is the same on the XFINITY TV app for iOS/Android or the https://tv.xfinity.com website. I suspect it is an issue with your account - one that would impact all these platforms - rather than with the Roku app itself. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@AllYouCanDrink wrote:

Well, here is my experience so far...

Pros

1) I like the colorful menu / guide ... it is very easy to read

2) Video stream is clear and is on par with other services like Vue and DirecTV Now...if not better

3) I have had almost zero buffering, much less than ANY previous streaming service has had on their initial rollout

4) I like the fact that only the shows I have access to per my individual package show up

5) I have had no sync issues

Problems

1) At the top and bottom of almost every hour, the screen blacks out momentarily and the name of the next program is displayed. Almost like it's loading up

2) I have had times that when I exited the app and went back to the Roku home screen, but the audio from the Xfinity app continued playing. The only way I have been able to stop it was rebooting the Roku. A very weird issue that I have never seen before with any other app. Has happened twice with the Xfinity app.

3) I have had a lot of times that the app locks up when I scroll the guide to the right and the guide needs to repopulate the next 2 hour block. Happens a lot more if you more than 4 hours.

Requests

1) Ability to add favorites

2) Ability to set a start up channel choice..so that when you first start the app you can have it start on a preset channel. For example, I would set mine to start on The Weather Channel

3) A better description in the guide of TV episodes and move summary

I am running a Roku 3 on 7.50 OS 

Excellent feedback. Appreciate the organization and details on your hardware. Thanks!

-ComcastDan

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Is this the right place to provide feedback as part of the beta program?  I am using the app on two TVs with a Roku stick (latest model) and I also tried it on my Sharp Roku TV and I'd like to give feedback, just trying to make sure what the best channel is for that.

Contributor

ComcastDan, or ComcastJesse

Would it be possible to break this thread up by starting a couple of new threads?  There seem to be at least three discrete discussions going on:

1.  Comments related to bugs in the beta/refinement of existing offerings;

2.  Requests for new services/applications not planned in the initial release (e.g. use of Roku outside of home network); and

3.  Pricing concerns.

This thread is now 16 pages long and it is getting cumbersome to wade through all of the comments. 

Contributor

@a2hart wrote:

I have noticed the video lagging behind the audio, especially when switching to commercials - audio and video gradually separate until I hear the audio of the next commercial during the current with about a 10-sec lag time.

Do you have a Roku TV?  Audio lag is common on Roku TVs.

Regular Visitor

Quick question hopefully someone has an answer to.  All the streams I've seen so far have been stereo audio.  I've not had a chance to play around with the app too much.  I'm using it on a Roku 3 attached to my Pioneer receiver through HDMI, so, I get bitstreaming in all my streaming apps without issue.  My question is....does this app only support stereo audio?  Or does it support AC3 like a regular cable box?  I don't see any options in the app to turn this on or off.  Anyone getting 5.1 on any of the channels?

Regular Contributor

An update from me since the app released on Roku. I installed the app to my Rokus via the Roku website. I am using brand new Roku Ultras via ethernet, not wireless. I had to do a 'system update' on my Rokus to get the Xfinity app to show up. I only have Comcast Internet; Blast Pro!, and my own modem, an SB6141. I am not a cable TV subscriber.

The app registered with no problems. I was immediately able to access the main menus in the Xfinity app. However, here are where my problems started, and where they continue even after several days of trying:

1. Although I can see the main menus, only the On Demand menu opens, and shows results. The Live TV and Movies menu never load any info, it just sits there with the three dots scrolling indefinitely, like it is trying to load.

2. When I am in the On Demand section, I can see all sorts of items to watch, but I cannot watch a single one. For example, I pick Counting Cars, and see there are 37 episodes available, but when I select Counting Cars, all I get is a picture representing the show, and a synopsis of the series, and a row on the lower part of the screen showing other suggested shows. I have no play controls to watch the show whatsoever.

I also chose Bering Sea Gold, same issue. So I randomly try a few others, all with the same result. I have no option to play anything.

I've tried for several days in a row thinking this was just possible part of the beta process, which I am sure it is, but so far I have not been able to do anything, but browse the Xfinity app with limited functionality, and no play ability.

Hope this helps as we move through the beta process. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@Eddmont wrote:

I have a Roku 3 and I'm still having trouble watching local broadcast channels. The channels aren't showing up in the guide. I have logged out and signed back in and nothing. Anyone have any ideas? All the other channels are working fine.

If possible, please confirm if the issue is the same on the XFINITY TV app for iOS/Android or the https://tv.xfinity.com website. I suspect it is an issue with your account - one that would impact all these platforms - rather than with the Roku app itself. 

Yes, my XFINITY TV app is doing the same thing. What do I need to do?

Contributor

@SamuriHL wrote:

Quick question hopefully someone has an answer to.  All the streams I've seen so far have been stereo audio.  I've not had a chance to play around with the app too much.  I'm using it on a Roku 3 attached to my Pioneer receiver through HDMI, so, I get bitstreaming in all my streaming apps without issue.  My question is....does this app only support stereo audio?  Or does it support AC3 like a regular cable box?  I don't see any options in the app to turn this on or off.  Anyone getting 5.1 on any of the channels?

I have the same basic setup:  Roku 3-->HDMI-->Pioneer AVR.  2-Channel only.

Contributor

@DKPeppard wrote:

An update from me since the app released on Roku. I installed the app to my Rokus via the Roku website. I am using brand new Roku Ultras via ethernet, not wireless. I had to do a 'system update' on my Rokus to get the Xfinity app to show up. I only have Comcast Internet; Blast Pro!, and my own modem, an SB6141. I am not a cable TV subscriber.

The app registered with no problems. I was immediately able to access the main menus in the Xfinity app. However, here are where my problems started, and where they continue even after several days of trying:

1. Although I can see the main menus, only the On Demand menu opens, and shows results. The Live TV and Movies menu never load any info, it just sits there with the three dots scrolling indefinitely, like it is trying to load.

2. When I am in the On Demand section, I can see all sorts of items to watch, but I cannot watch a single one. For example, I pick Counting Cars, and see there are 37 episodes available, but when I select Counting Cars, all I get is a picture representing the show, and a synopsis of the series, and a row on the lower part of the screen showing other suggested shows. I have no play controls to watch the show whatsoever.

I also chose Bering Sea Gold, same issue. So I randomly try a few others, all with the same result. I have no option to play anything.

I've tried for several days in a row thinking this was just possible part of the beta process, which I am sure it is, but so far I have not been able to do anything, but browse the Xfinity app with limited functionality, and no play ability.

You have to have cable service and one working set top box for the Xfinity Roku beta to work.  For now, it is only designed to work as an alternative to renting additional boxes.  But there have been multiple requests for expanded service.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@nwikoff wrote:

I turned it on again tonight. I had to go through the process of entering the activation code online and choosing a name for my Roku again. Is that normal?

No, I would expect that you should only have to enter the activation code upon first use. What device type are you using (model number)?

Thank you for the feedback.

-ComcastDan

I'm using the 3600R streaming stick with the latest firmware.

Regular Contributor

@JEB11 wrote:

@DKPeppard wrote:

You have to have cable service and one working set top box for the Xfinity Roku beta to work.  For now, it is only designed to work as an alternative to renting additional boxes.  But there have been multiple requests for expanded service.

Thank you for the clarification. I thought I read this would be presented as a stand alone service upon official release, which I am hoping for. I will stand by for now, and continue monitoring the beta process. 

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Official Employee

@Eddmont wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@Eddmont wrote:

Sorry you are having trouble. Can you call us at 800-XFINITY so we can open a support ticket? Let the agent know that the "broadcast IP channels in your local market" aren't appearing across any of the XFINITY TV mobile, pc or Roku platforms (important that they know it isn't specific to Roku - it is at your account level). It appears that either you have an incorrect channel lineup mapped to your household or some of the channels are down in your area (the IP streaming channels are separate from your set-top box delivered channels).

Again, sorry you are having trouble!

-ComcastDan

Official Employee

@DKPeppard wrote:

@JEB11 wrote:

@DKPeppard wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. I thought I read this would be presented as a stand alone service upon official release, which I am hoping for. I will stand by for now, and continue monitoring the beta process. 

I checked your account and the system is telling me that you don't have entitlements (access permissions) for any of the channels. Are you a video subscriber or perhaps just internet?

Official Employee

@tasewell wrote:
I see the HD On Demand streams for Starz, TCM, and FXM in non-HD resolution even though the live streams for the same channels are HD resolution and On Demand content for many other streams are HD resolution.

Both my Roku 3 and Roku Premiere use hardwired Ethernet and I select the HD content if given a choice.

Is this expected?

There are typically a couple options for On Demand. Are you selecting the HD version?  I'll try to check these myself when I get chance but this is typically the issue (particularly on mobile where the HD icon is so small).

New Poster

hello have been using the roku app since it launched some issues i have notice is

1. the guide does not update correctly it will have the blue triangle on the current time but shows three hours or more previous shows since the last time you viewed the guide.

2. every top of the hour or half hour the channels take a 30 to 60 second loading screen im not sure why this happens but it does mess up the idea of the tv stream being live when watching something,

3.on demand shows arent showing up it says a certain show has 37 episodes or 5 episodes i click it nothing is thee.

4.kids section under live tv it shows whats playing now for kids it does not auto update i clicked on bubble guppies and beause it was not on anywhere all i go was a solid black screen needs to auto update also fix this to where it shows only whats on per peoples channels subscription im seeing lots of shows on channels i dont even have.

5. make a way to have favorites for channels like a favorite live tv list for quick access. alo do the same for on demand shows so people do not have to search all over can get to them quck and easy. 

Expert

@Eddmont wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@Eddmont wrote:

call in to 800-Comcast and ask the representative to do an account refresh (not a set top box refresh). If you are not able to get a representative to understand, ask to be transferred to billing. Often billing can assist with the account refresh. Once refresh is started, it can take up to an hour to complete so you will receive all the channels on your subscription.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@DKPeppard wrote:

@JEB11 wrote:

@DKPeppard wrote:

I checked your account and the system is telling me that you don't have entitlements (access permissions) for any of the channels. Are you a video subscriber or perhaps just internet?

Thanks for replying, ComcastDan. Per my original post, first paragraph (not trying to be a snob here, just helping):

'I only have Comcast Internet; Blast Pro!, and my own modem, an SB6141. I am not a cable TV subscriber.'

Contributor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@tasewell wrote:
I see the HD On Demand streams for Starz, TCM, and FXM in non-HD resolution even though the live streams for the same channels are HD resolution and On Demand content for many other streams are HD resolution.

Both my Roku 3 and Roku Premiere use hardwired Ethernet and I select the HD content if given a choice.

Is this expected?

There are typically a couple options for On Demand. Are you selecting the HD version?  I'll try to check these myself when I get chance but this is typically the issue (particularly on mobile where the HD icon is so small).

Yes, when I see multiple options, I select the "HD" version but the content does not appear to be HD resolution.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

MidnightSVT

I understand the beta app has no fees associated with it. However, Ars Technica, quoted COMCAST in their article stating that after the beta trial ends, a $7.49 monthly fee will be passed onto anyone who continues to use the app. This article was published after the intial beta information release (2/1/17).

They are quoting a COMCAST representative, I am simply asking the moderators on this thread to provide a response to that quote (again, given by COMCAST). It is true, great. If not true, great. Just give us all of the information

How 'bout we just wait and see what they're going to do.  Often, the representatives out in the field are literally the last to know.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

That is because those channels are in SD format not HD
Expert

would someone use the MeTV chan and Movies! and AntennaTV and verify that the screens are displayed in the proper 14:9 and not a boxy square (tests AFD).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@egnlsn wrote:

MidnightSVT

I understand the beta app has no fees associated with it. However, Ars Technica, quoted COMCAST in their article stating that after the beta trial ends, a $7.49 monthly fee will be passed onto anyone who continues to use the app. This article was published after the intial beta information release (2/1/17).

They are quoting a COMCAST representative, I am simply asking the moderators on this thread to provide a response to that quote (again, given by COMCAST). It is true, great. If not true, great. Just give us all of the information

How 'bout we just wait and see what they're going to do.  Often, the representatives out in the field are literally the last to know.

The problem with the "wait and see" mentality is that is almost always bad for end users (customers). The wait and see strategy got us this beta app almost 2 months after it was promised.

I am of the opinoin, and it is fine if others don't agree, that in order to adequately provide useful and helpful feedback, we the testers, need all of the information up front.

I know this is selfish, but I am not going to pay a monthly fee to use this app, so I don't see any reason to provide app feedback on an app that I won't end up using. I have also put an additional Roku purchase on hold until I know for sure if a fee will be charged (or not charged). So, in my case, Comcast and Roku are both missing out on feedback related to the app on a Roku 3 (the device I currently own) and a Roku Premiere (the additional Roku I planned to buy depending on the fee outcome), because no one wants to be upfront from the start.

Regular Contributor

@MidnightSVT wrote:

@egnlsn wrote:

MidnightSVT

The problem with the "wait and see" mentality is that is almost always bad for end users (customers). The wait and see strategy got us this beta app almost 2 months after it was promised.

I am of the opinoin, and it is fine if others don't agree, that in order to adequately provide useful and helpful feedback, we the testers, need all of the information up front.

I know this is selfish, but I am not going to pay a monthly fee to use this app, so I don't see any reason to provide app feedback on an app that I won't end up using. I have also put an additional Roku purchase on hold until I know for sure if a fee will be charged (or not charged). So, in my case, Comcast and Roku are both missing out on feedback related to the app on a Roku 3 (the device I currently own) and a Roku Premiere (the additional Roku I planned to buy depending on the fee outcome), because no one wants to be upfront from the start.

You are not being selfish. My position is the same. At this stage of the game, Comcast either knows that they will charge a fee for the use of the ROKU or they will not attach a charge. Given the information that is out there, it looks fairly certain that a fee is coming. You would expect Comcast to quickly get in front of that if they had no fee planned. At this time I am not going to waste my time helping them to get their app running.

Regular Contributor

@MidnightSVT wrote:

And I don't disagree with you.  But asking in this forum gets us absolutely nowhere.  Nobody here can answer that question any better than can the guy waiting on the corner for the next taxi.  An article was referenced that touched on that subject, allegedly quoting someone in-the-know.  Until an official statement is made from Comcast to the public, anything that might be said, regardless of who says it, is nothing more than heresay.

Those moderating this forum can only give information based on information they have.  If they don't know something, we can't expect them to answer our questions about it.

It's quite unlikely that I'll be using this app -- free or at a cost, because it would be of no benefit to me do so.  The time may come, though, when it might be beneficial.  If something would be beneficial to me, I'd pay a small fee for the use of it.  After all, it benefits me.

You ought to go ahead and get the Roku Premiere (if not Ultra), regardless of what happens with this app.  You'll be glad you did.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

So what do you have to report on the spp? Complaining about marketing on a beta testing forum doesn't help in improving the product.
New Poster

I am extremely surprised no one has said this yet, unless someone has and I missed the post. When I fast forward a show, because of commercials let's say, I can't see the picture going as I FF. So I have to guess when the show is back on. Is that only for certain on demand recordings? Because it is pretty much a dealbreaker, imo. I'd rather pay $10 a month to have that feature as opposed to probably $5 cor to use a roku, from what it looks like.
Frequent Visitor

$10 a month...? Just get a real DVR, and you can adjust the volume with the same remote.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

would someone use the MeTV chan and Movies! and AntennaTV and verify that the screens are displayed in the proper 14:9 and not a boxy square (tests AFD).

It appears to properly support 16:9 SD channels. I tested MeTV here in Chicago, and it was correctly formatted as widescreen. 4:3 SD channels are also correct.

Silver Problem Solver

Had some time to do real testing. Basically, it works more or less as expected. I was able to watch some OnDemand. As others have mentioned, it would be nice if FF/REW could use the 'slideshow' method most other services use.

It would be nice if some extra keys could be used in the guide listing. FF and REW could be used as PageUp and PageDn, or jumping one screen forward/back in time. In fact, there are some Roku codes that many remotes don't have physical keys for. You could include support for them in the app, even if users may need to use 3rd party remotes to actually access them:

RokuRemoteCoces.png

Frequent Visitor

Okay, since it appears we are giving beta feedback here, I have some.  I am using the app on two TVs that have Roku sticks and on a Sharp Roku TV.  First, regarding the Sharp Roku TV, I realize it is not on the list published up front, but the App showed up as available so I tried it.  The performance on the Sharp TV is very flaky - some channels don't come up when selected, it's very slow and when I tried HBO the audio was out of synch with the video.  I would consider it to be unusable on that TV at the moment.

Regarding the two TVs with the stick, it seems to work there, but I see issues and room for improvement:

Issues:

1. The app seems slow at the moment (e.g. getting to the guide from bring-up) and I see occasional pauses in the middle of shows (where the picture goes away and it seems to be catching up for a moment, like you might see in a streamed Youtube video)

Room for Improvement:

A lot to list here, but it's a beta, after all:

1. It takes too many clicks and menu selections to get to where you are actually watching TV after you select the app.
  2. There is no configuration at the moment that I see to allow for setting filters on the Guide (e.g. HD only)
  3. It would be nice if the app "remembered" where you were the last time you ran it and came up in that state.  That could be a configuration option.

As other people have stated, I was interested in the app because I thought it might be a way to save a bit of money on my cable bill relative to the h/w cost of converter boxes (and the X1 box potentially).  If it turns out that this actually costs money and perhaps even increases my bill, I won't be using it and I'll probably be looking at other options as my bill is already way too high.

Contributor

@BBurgDave wrote:

First, regarding the Sharp Roku TV, I realize it is not on the list published up front, but the App showed up as available so I tried it.  The performance on the Sharp TV is very flaky - some channels don't come up when selected, it's very slow and when I tried HBO the audio was out of synch with the video.  I would consider it to be unusable on that TV at the moment.

I have the same brand. Actually, it is on the list. If you go to Settings>System>About you'll see the Roku TV version. It probably says something like 5416x. It just doesn't work. 

New Poster

The Xfinity app is a failure on my roku tv. SD channels will sort of stream, HD channels will not start at all. On demand just starts and stops. Pretty much useless.
However in my roku 3 box connected to a hdmi input on the same roku tv the app works pretty good, I haven't noticed any problems with it running.
The app itself could use some fine tuning, I haven't found a way to change channels without going back to the tv listing, there seems to be a lot of button pushing and menu levels just to change to another channel.
So how well the Xfinity tv app works seems to depend a lot on the roku hardware you have.
Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

The actual programs on MeTV and AntennaTV display correctly...BUT....a lot of the commercials display with top / bottom / side black bars.

Which reminds me...

A lot of the HBO channels are doing the same thing. Displaying in a tiny square box with black all around

Expert

@AllYouCanDrink wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

The actual programs on MeTV and AntennaTV display correctly...BUT....a lot of the commercials display with top / bottom / side black bars.

Which reminds me...

A lot of the HBO channels are doing the same thing. Displaying in a tiny square box with black all around

HBO sadly has not adopted SD with AFD to eliminate the postage stamp curtains all around. makes no sense other than marketing wanting to sell actual HD.

another question... do (any) the Roku devices have dual band 2.4 and 5.0 ghz radios?

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@AllYouCanDrink wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Which reminds me...

HBO sadly has not adopted SD with AFD to eliminate the postage stamp curtains all around. makes no sense other than marketing wanting to sell actual HD.

another question... do (any) the Roku devices have dual band 2.4 and 5.0 ghz radios?

The Roku 4, Premiere, Premiere+, & Ultra have dual-band (a/b/g/n/ac)

The Roku HD-XR, XDS, Roku 2, Roku 3,  & Roku streaming sticks (3400,3420,3500 & 3600) have dual-band (a/b/g/n)

New Poster

I know that the FAQ says that using the Roku Xfinity TV app does not count towards the 1 TB usage limit, but since installing the app, i've noticed a substantial increase when viewing my usage on my account.  Since data is going thru the router, how does Comcast distinguish data from the Xfinity TV app and other Roku apps so it doesn't count toward my limit?

Official Employee

@dakata24 wrote:

I know that the FAQ says that using the Roku Xfinity TV app does not count towards the 1 TB usage limit, but since installing the app, i've noticed a substantial increase when viewing my usage on my account.  Since data is going thru the router, how does Comcast distinguish data from the Xfinity TV app and other Roku apps so it doesn't count toward my limit?

The data used by the XFINITY TV Roku app is delivered over Comcast's managed network instead of the open Internet. It goes through your Internet gateway but travels on a separate channel and should not increment any data usage monitored by Comcast.

-ComcastDan

Frequent Visitor

This app worked for 2 days and now I get the dreaded "can only access on your in-home Xfinity wifi" message. Spoke with tear 3 for an hour and the only thing they came up with was that I own my own equipment so call netgear. Not happy about that answer. How come it worked for 2 days. My guess the problem is on their end not mine. Anyone have any suggestions?
image.jpg
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Roku App Beta

Bought a new tv at christmas specifically cause of the announcement of xfinity on roku.  the 3400 streaming stick is not listed. app does not show. I'm curious , when the app goes out of beta, is it possible the list will increase, and include models like the 3400, 3500 . or is the current list , which only has the 3600, going to stay that way.

Regardless, would love to know, as we're headed out tomorrow to buy more roku's (express)... i dont want to replace it, if it is possible it'll be compatible in the future when outta beta.

perhaps there is some sort of hardware limitation that it lacks? sorta puzzeling with a unit not even being very old. never buying hitachi again, jeez!

Thanks

sorry, i see you actually answered this few pages ago. can't seem to delete. But PLEASEEEEEEE Consider adding the 3400 and 3500 sticks, even if you have to check a little box that says 'i understand the performance might be bad'. cause I haven't had issues watching anything else i've watched with it.

New Poster

hi i'm trying out the app on my roku 3 it work so-so great 

but i have two other roku  for my kids i got them may 5 years ago roku 2  it have in the setting roku player 3050x XD with a ver 7.5  and a build 4099-02.

will you be beta testing the app on it 

New Poster

It's really something like $7.50 because they give you a credit on the "equipment", but yeah...it makes absolutely no sense. The entire point of having your own equipment is to avoid paying these fees.

I've had a WMC computer with 4 additional WMC boxes...used it for something like 10 years with Comcast and loved it. They just changed the video compression on the boxes to make them worthless, so I've been waiting around for a little while to see if this Roku app would be an option.

With the fees it's not...I think they will find the market as a whole will tell them that, but if they can get away with charging people that more power to them. Not for me though...hopefully in 2 years XFinity will have a better option. I've been a customer for 10+ years and have enjoyed it, but as with everything things change.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@Stewdawg wrote:
It's really something like $7.50 because they give you a credit on the "equipment", but yeah...it makes absolutely no sense. The entire point of having your own equipment is to avoid paying these fees.

I've had a WMC computer with 4 additional WMC boxes...used it for something like 10 years with Comcast and loved it. They just changed the video compression on the boxes to make them worthless, so I've been waiting around for a little while to see if this Roku app would be an option.

With the fees it's not...I think they will find the market as a whole will tell them that, but if they can get away with charging people that more power to them. Not for me though...hopefully in 2 years XFinity will have a better option. I've been a customer for 10+ years and have enjoyed it, but as with everything things change.

Why waste your time using the Roku device if you already have computers hooked up to your TVs? Upgrade to X1 (if you already haven't), rent 1 DVR from Comcast, ensure Cloud DVR is turned on for your account, and stream the Xfinity TV portal using a web browser on each of your computers. You will get all your recorded content, plus Live TV (in home only provided you have Comcast Internet service) and On Demand content. You can even watch your recorded content and On Demand when away from home.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

When trying to stream live TV I get big black bars on the left and right side forcing the picture into a 4x3 aspect ratio. On top of that I also get the bars at the top and bottom keeping the picture in the 16x9 ratio. In short I have huge black bars on the left, right, top, and bottom with the live TV picture taking up a small square in the center.

Ondemand content plays in the correct aspect ratio and fills the screen though. I've tried all the different display options on the TV Normal, Full, Wide, etc. and none of them make a difference. I also have no issue with the picture filling up the screen with the proper aspect ratio on any other Roku app.

I'm using a LeEco X4-55 4K TV with a Roku 3700 Express.

Please select the HD version of the Live TV channels, if available (you can use the * key on the remote to enter the channel number). 

Thanks I should have thought of that. I really wish Comcast would add a category for the HD channels. I always browse the SD channels on the guide because they are first and then I'll just hit the Ok button to forward me to the HD one. There doesn't seem to be something similar here. Browsing all the way to the 1000s so I can see HD channels is time consuming and bad UX. Memorizing the channels does nothing when I'm browsing the guide most of the time to see what is on and what I'd like to watch.

If there was a category for SD and HD channels in the guide I wouldn't have to waste my time browsing through SD channels, or trying to get to the 1000s just so I can get to HD. Yes that includes hitting the * and 1002 just to jump to that part of the guide. Seems like it would be so much easier to have them separated by SD and HD at the top with the other categories.

Frequent Visitor

@iceman413 wrote:

Thanks I should have thought of that. I really wish Comcast would add a category for the HD channels. I always browse the SD channels on the guide because they are first and then I'll just hit the Ok button to forward me to the HD one. There doesn't seem to be something similar here. Browsing all the way to the 1000s so I can see HD channels is time consuming and bad UX. Memorizing the channels does nothing when I'm browsing the guide most of the time to see what is on and what I'd like to watch.

If there was a category for SD and HD channels in the guide I wouldn't have to waste my time browsing through SD channels, or trying to get to the 1000s just so I can get to HD. Yes that includes hitting the * and 1002 just to jump to that part of the guide. Seems like it would be so much easier to have them separated by SD and HD at the top with the other categories.

Or possibly add an option in the settings to hide all SD channels that have an HD equivilent, and channels to which we are not subscribed. A manual procedure to hide individual channels would be a lesser option, but be helpful in getting rid of unwanted channels. I do that on my setup with shopping, local access, and any other channels we do not watch. It is beautiful when you have a nice concise channel guide. We may be able to do this with Favorites as a less then ideal workaround, but I do not know if they exist in the Beta.

Official Employee

@iceman413 wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

When trying to stream live TV I get big black bars on the left and right side forcing the picture into a 4x3 aspect ratio. On top of that I also get the bars at the top and bottom keeping the picture in the 16x9 ratio. In short I have huge black bars on the left, right, top, and bottom with the live TV picture taking up a small square in the center.

Ondemand content plays in the correct aspect ratio and fills the screen though. I've tried all the different display options on the TV Normal, Full, Wide, etc. and none of them make a difference. I also have no issue with the picture filling up the screen with the proper aspect ratio on any other Roku app.

I'm using a LeEco X4-55 4K TV with a Roku 3700 Express.

Please select the HD version of the Live TV channels, if available (you can use the * key on the remote to enter the channel number). 

You aren't the only one - it is a common issue. There are a few things planned that will help to ease this:

1. Favorite channel filter (so customers get to chose which channels matter most to them and hide the rest)
  2. Auto-tune to HD (when there is an HD version of any channel and the customer subscribes to HD, play HD even if the customer selected the SD channel - this already happens on X1)
  3. HD channel filter or guide view

No promise on timing (there's a long list of enhancements planned, along with performance improvements) but just wanted you to know that we're aware and on it!

-CocmastDan

Contributor

Missing content? I am assuming because this is just a beta is the reason for some of the missing content. I went to my living room and checked and noticed there are more channels there than the beta.Is it safe to assume they will be added when the app is officially released? 

Official Employee

@AROM wrote:
This app worked for 2 days and now I get the dreaded "can only access on your in-home Xfinity wifi" message. Spoke with tear 3 for an hour and the only thing they came up with was that I own my own equipment so call netgear. Not happy about that answer. How come it worked for 2 days. My guess the problem is on their end not mine. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry you are having trouble. The app compares the IP address it is using with the one associated to your modem's MAC address.  There are several reasons why this may incorrectly say you are out of home when you are not:

1. Modem's MAC address isn't properly registered with Comcast (most common with customer-owned equipment). Solved by calling our Internet customer service department and asking to add the modem's MAC address to an outlet in your home. Note: less likely to be the issue in your case since it WAS working for a couple days.
  2. Modem gets a new IP address "lease" and the data hasn't propagated to all the necessary systems. Ironically, this seems to be more of an issue when you keep restarting your modem thinking it will solve the problem. Sometimes it is better to wait it out and try again in 15-60 minutes. Also, exit the app or restart the Roku device and relaunch the app (the app does the in-home check upon network change and startup). 
  3. Customers with accounts in 2 households sometimes sign into the app with the username from the wrong household. There is a one-to-one relationship between the video and internet accounts needed to be considered "in-home". Even if paying on the same bill, a video service can't be considered in-home if it doesn't have the same service address.
  4. The Device at Home (DAH) system (an internal Comcast service) we use to compare IP addresses could be momentarily down or overloaded. We've greatly expanded capacity on this service so unlikely except during peak times or network outages.  Try again after a few minutes and restart the Roku device to force a new check.

The XFINITY TV app for iOS/Android/Kindle and the portal (https://tv.xfinity.com) also have the same in-home content (and associated in-home check). Worth seeing if those apps also think you are not in-home since they use the same systems to determine this. The best method of doing this is to try to watch your local broadcast stations in those apps since we only have TV Go (out of home) versions of broadcast stations in a few major markets (not Miami). If you don't see a "data charges may apply" message overlayed on the video at startup, you are watching the in-home version of the video stream.

I also checked the IP address of your last forum post against the "in-home" IP address for your username using an internal tool called "X-Ray". It told me they didn't match. I'm not sure if you were posting from home but thought this data point may be useful in troubleshooting.

Sorry this post is so long but hoping it helps you (and others) understand how this works so you can resolve the issue.

Best,
ComcastDan

Official Employee

@Lonniew wrote:

Missing content? I am assuming because this is just a beta is the reason for some of the missing content. I went to my living room and checked and noticed there are more channels there than the beta.Is it safe to assume they will be added when the app is officially released? 

No, you should see all the channels to which you subscribe available in the Roku app. However, we do hide channels that you aren't subscribed to on Roku (and the XFINITY TV mobile/web apps) which is different than on your set-top box which shows everything. 

Are you missing channels to which you subscribe?  If so, your account may need a "refresh" which can be done by using the following troubleshooter tool:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/tv-assistant/

-ComcastDan