Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Thank you so much for releasing the Beta for us to try out.

One of my initial concerns when this was first announced has, unfortunately, come to fruition with this app.  That is: no local content on the grid.

I live in the Salinas, California region (Monterey/Salinas Comcast area) and yet the grid is populated with San Francisco local channels.  I hope that someone can be alerted to this issue so that our local programming on our local Comcast service area (local news channels, local PEG channels, etc.) can be populated on the app in my viewing area.

As far as the app itself and the layout...working fine for me.  I just need to see the channels for our service area on the app, not San Francisco channels.

Hopefully someone can make a note of this and forward it to the right people who can look into it.  Zip Code 93901.  Thanks!

EDIT TO ADD: Oh yeah, I'll also chime in: If there is a cost to use it on the Roku, forget it.  I'm out.  Pretty certain the majority of others would be as well.

Expert

@phillygirl2013 wrote:
I've installed, signed out, and reinstalled and it still will not play live or on demand. I consistently get a drm error.

general info on DRM on HDMI/HDCP connected devices. The stream arrives encrypted in (probably) an mpeg4 package and the decoder will not send an HD channel if the HDMI handshake (and whitelist) fails to set up an encrypted path for the signal to transmit to the TV. This often is caused by using an unlisted/unqualified device (permanent fail) or a bad connection between the devices (temporary) usually caused by a bad/weak connection. HDCP handshakes that fail shut off the video path until one or both devices reboot/reconnect).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@parker63 wrote:

Thank you so much for releasing the Beta for us to try out.

One of my initial concerns when this was first announced has, unfortunately, come to fruition with this app.  That is: no local content on the grid.

I live in the Salinas, California region (Monterey/Salinas Comcast area) and yet the grid is populated with San Francisco local channels.  I hope that someone can be alerted to this issue so that our local programming on our local Comcast service area (local news channels, local PEG channels, etc.) can be populated on the app in my viewing area.

As far as the app itself and the layout...working fine for me.  I just need to see the channels for our service area on the app, not San Francisco channels.

Hopefully someone can make a note of this and forward it to the right people who can look into it.  Zip Code 93901.  Thanks!

If you have powered down the Roku for 30 seconds and restarted and that did not fix the Roku, then call 800-Comcast and select tech support, TV. ask them to do an account refresh (not a device refresh). If your representative seems unable to understand you may have to call back and select billing and ask the billing representative to do the account refresh.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@phillygirl2013 wrote:
I've installed, signed out, and reinstalled and it still will not play live or on demand. I consistently get a drm error.

Here is something to try. Unplug your TV, Roku & any HDMI Switch or AVR that the Roku is connected to. Wait 15 minutes then plug your TV back in. Turn it on let it start/boot up. If you have an HDMI switch or AVR then plug that back in and turn it on. Then plug your Roku back in and let it boot up. This should completely reset the HDMI/HDCP handshake and hopefully fix the DRM errors.

New Poster

@ComcastDan wrote:

@Imkms wrote:

Question:

I have a Comcast account for TV at a vacation home in another state, that is active all year. This home also has an Internet account for part of the year. I now want to use Roku at my primary home that does have a Comcast Internet account and uses my own cable modem and router, but does not have any Comcast TV accounts. Will this work? 

BTW, I have installed the Xfinity TV app on my IPAD and that works fine at my primary home.

Thanks

Under the scenario you presented, the Roku app could only be used in your vacation home during the times of year when Internet is active in that same home. The video streams are delivered over the Comcast managed network, not the open Internet. Therefore, the video account and Internet account need to be within the same household for things to work. 

-ComcastDan

Then why does it work on my iPad in my primary home? The only difference is one is displayed on the IPad, while using Roku it would display on a TV,

Regular Contributor

Some feedback:  favorite channels list, last channels watched, an easier way to search for channels and when recordings in pause a view of time remaining on the recording. 

Thanks for the app. I'm enjoying it. 

Frequent Visitor

Excited to see this launch but have tried it on 2 Roku TV's and having the same problems (first had to spend an hour with Comcast Tech Support because I was getting an "out of home" error and had to get my Cable Modem MAC address readded to my account for some reason).

• Audio out of sync (makes it unusable after a minute or two
  • Slow response time (its beta, I know!)
  • Lack of HD filter (again, its a beta but scrolling through 100 channels to get to the 200's where the HD channel live is a PITA, granted you can manually type a number to start but its a pain
  • Having recordings under the "Heart" is not all that intuitive

Excited to see where this goes in the future.

Frequent Visitor

I had canceled my Xfinity TV service already, but I got a phone call in mid 2016 from a Comcast sales rep saying that they were trying to get people like me back with this new service that required ONLY an internet connection and did not require a cable box or coaxial wires.

Some of the things he said..
1) An app for Roku was available that I would use instead of the cable box (a lie, app just came out)
2) I would not have to hook up a coaxial cable or use their box. (You have to hook it up to have any type of tv, mine is in a bag as I refuse to use it)
3) they would send me a Roku like box that was made by Xfinity that I could use instead of Roku (a lie, they sent a regular cable box, not even an X1 box)
4) it included HD. (Half lie. It is HD on mobile app or pc, but the box they sent was not an HD box)
5) they would give me HBO with this special package (they did, I use my credentials for the HBO Roku app)
6) no hd fees, no xtra stb fees for multiple outlets with Rokus on them (no hd fees true apply only if you watch on mobile or the new Roku app... notice that he specifically told me no extra fees for additional viewing areas when using Roku)

The price increase for me to have this special package was an increase of less than 10 bucks over my internet only bill, so even when everything turned out to be a lie, I kept the service hoping for the app and periodically for HBO (I've only watched like 3 movies on it).

If they start charging me more now for it, I will not only cancel, but I will probably open up a case with one of the watchdog agencies.

I am currently a PS Vue customer as well, so it is easy for me to leave
Frequent Visitor

My biggest issue is audio becoming unsynced after a minute or so of watching. This is on an Insignia Roku TV, and makes the app pretty unusable.
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity Roku App Beta

@BruceDelaney wrote:

@gastorm wrote:

I have a TCL Roku TV  5xxx series running versio 7.5x and cannot see the app in the channel store.  My tv is connected to my personal router which is connected to the Xfinity provided router so I am NOT using the xfinitywifi network.  Any idea why I cannot see the app in the channel store?

Seems most have had the best success by logging into their Roku account via a web browser, searching for xfinity, adding the app and then going in to settings on their ROKU Device and checking for updates at which point it should add the app to your menu. Provided your TV fits the criteria.

I tried this but no luck.  I'm running a 6XXX series Roku TV.  Went on to myroku online and added the channel since I couldn't find it on the TV.  Even downloaded another app as some suggested when I turned on the TV and the beta app wasn't there.  No luck.

Regular Contributor

Can anyone possibly explain why Comcast has gone to the trouble of providing a BETA test of the ROKU App. without providing a reporting channel for encountered problems??? If this is their idea of BETA testing, I guess it should be no surprise. Comcast engineers are simply told to troll the forums looking for comments that might contain some important information about found bugs???

Oh, and if this App. emerges with any kind of fee associated with it, it's a non-starter. This is absolutely equivalent to using the Xfinity TV app on a phone, iPad or computer. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no fee associated with it. Oh wait, that will probably be next.

Expert

As other threads have pointed out, non-laptop/desktop devices such as smart phones and tablets are not allowed per contract restrictions to connect to a TV for mirroring or display. The Roku appears to be allowed to be attached to a TV but the restriction is that it be in the subscriber's home while connected to the subscriber's home Comcast internet. 

At least at this time, it appears that no other network will be allowed to work with the Roku so use is limited to only the subscriber's home.

Expert

@plummerl wrote:

Can anyone possibly explain why Comcast has gone to the trouble of providing a BETA test of the ROKU App. without providing a reporting channel for encountered problems??? If this is their idea of BETA testing, I guess it should be no surprise. Comcast engineers are simply told to troll the forums looking for comments that might contain some important information about found bugs???

Oh, and if this App. emerges with any kind of fee associated with it, it's a non-starter. This is absolutely equivalent to using the Xfinity TV app on a phone, iPad or computer. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no fee associated with it. Oh wait, that will probably be next.

as the release said the forum is the feedback and information source.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

as the release said the forum is the feedback and information source.

As I said (as an embedded software engineer), that's the most inefficiant method of providing feedback to a MAJOR beta test of an app that I've ever seen. Browse the forums, filter out 99.9% of the chaff. This seems to provide me with a feeling about how they are treating this release. Not very good.

Frequent Visitor

So it appears that Comcast has confirmed that they will be charging Roku users after the beta ends. Ars Technica has posted an article on their website where they quote a response directly from Comcast regarding future fees.

Comcast responded to us and confirmed that Roku devices will be treated similarly to CableCard devices in terms of pricing. Customers who use a Roku as a "primary outlet" after the beta is over will get a $2.50 credit on their bill; the "primary outlet" isn't an itemized fee but is included as part of paying for a TV subscription. Using a Roku as an "additional outlet" will cost $9.95, but the $2.50 credit will lower the price to $7.45. Xfinity TV app access on phones and tablets does not cost extra.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/comcast-will-charge-extra-fee-for-watching-tv...

As soon as the beta ends and I have to pay to watch the TV I already pay for, using my own device, I will immediately unistall this app. A fee for this is insane!!!

Contributor

After a day with the app I have come to a conclusion. If there is a fee of any kind for this app I will NOT opt in. My reason being I would only pick up a few stations.

I have an antenna that picks up my local stations and the rest except for a few I can get through their apps. The quality of the apps is a much better picture than I can get through the xfinity app. So why would I pay for the use of this app when the others are free and much better.

Regular Visitor

I downloaded the Xfinity TV app to my Roku TV this evening.  After Step 5 of the activation process I'm receiving the following error screen.

IMG_1148_1119728813.JPG

I am on my home Xfinity WiFi network.  I have opened a support case (CR6756169xx) and I'm being told that it will take between 48 to 72 hours to be contacted to solve this issue.  I would hope your application support team will prioritize activation issues your customers are having with this application and contact me prior to 72 hours from now.

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Beta channel on Roku 2 is not activating with customer-owned modem

Hi,

Here is my setup...

Outside Line -> Comcast-provided splitter/booster

From the splitter, internet Coax goes to Motorola SB6183.  (Have Blast)

Other connections go to: Xfinity modem + 2 TVs

Xfinity modem is only used for phone service.

I added the Xfinity Beta channel to my Roku 2.  I was able to successfully activate it online.  However, after entering the code successfully, I get the error message: createdrmsession.403-102

Is there a way to get it to work when using your own modem?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
Regular Contributor

@MidnightSVT wrote:

So it appears that Comcast has confirmed that they will be charging Roku users after the beta ends. Ars Technica has posted an article on their website where they quote a response directly from Comcast regarding future fees.

Comcast responded to us and confirmed that Roku devices will be treated similarly to CableCard devices in terms of pricing. Customers who use a Roku as a "primary outlet" after the beta is over will get a $2.50 credit on their bill; the "primary outlet" isn't an itemized fee but is included as part of paying for a TV subscription. Using a Roku as an "additional outlet" will cost $9.95, but the $2.50 credit will lower the price to $7.45. Xfinity TV app access on phones and tablets does not cost extra.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/comcast-will-charge-extra-fee-for-watching-tv...

As soon as the beta ends and I have to pay to watch the TV I already pay for, using my own device, I will immediately unistall this app. A fee for this is insane!!!

Do you honestly believe Comcast is going to charge the same for a limited function app (with limited functioning remove control) running on a Roku as they charge for a fully functioning satellite box and remote control?

Ars Technica doesn't identify either by name or position within the company who their source was, a red flag. I'll wait until Comcast actually tells us what the monthly fee will be and decide then what I'm going to do about extension boxes, I doubt it will involve keeping and/or paying for them.

Frequent Visitor

@workerdummy wrote:

@MidnightSVT wrote:

Do you honestly believe Comcast is going to charge the same for an limited function app (with limited functioning remove control) running on a Roku as they charge for a fully functioning satellite box and remote control?

Ars Technica doesn't identify either by name or position within the company who their source was, a red flag. I'll wait until Comcast actually tells us what the monthly fee will be and decide then what I'm going to do about extension boxes, I doubt it will involve keeping and/or paying for them.

I would absolutely believe one of the most reputable tech sites on the Internet over the silence by the moderators on this forum. 

Comcast has a pretty poor reputation of being pro-consumer. I would love to see evidence to the contrary. 

Contributor

@BobG wrote:

I downloaded the Xfinity TV app to my Roku TV this evening.  After Step 5 of the activation process I'm receiving the following error screen.

IMG_1148_1119728813.JPG

I am on my home Xfinity WiFi network.  I have opened a support case (CR6756169xx) and I'm being told that it will take between 48 to 72 hours to be contacted to solve this issue.  I would hope your application support team will prioritize activation issues your customers are having with this application and contact me prior to 72 hours from now.

Not one person who has a Roku TV has reported in that it is running smoothly, although this is a different error than I've seen on mine.  Most of the time, a connection can be made but it's not stable.

Regular Visitor

Bummer, I have 3 Roku devices:

XS
LT
Stick (3500)

None are supported and Roku.com won't let me install the new app.

Anyway around this? Can these devices be supported?
Official Employee

@Imkms wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@Imkms wrote:

Question:

I have a Comcast account for TV at a vacation home in another state, that is active all year. This home also has an Internet account for part of the year. I now want to use Roku at my primary home that does have a Comcast Internet account and uses my own cable modem and router, but does not have any Comcast TV accounts. Will this work? 

BTW, I have installed the Xfinity TV app on my IPAD and that works fine at my primary home.

Thanks

Under the scenario you presented, the Roku app could only be used in your vacation home during the times of year when Internet is active in that same home. The video streams are delivered over the Comcast managed network, not the open Internet. Therefore, the video account and Internet account need to be within the same household for things to work. 

-ComcastDan

Then why does it work on my iPad in my primary home? The only difference is one is displayed on the IPad, while using Roku it would display on a TV,

The XFINITY TV app on iOS, Android and desktops includes 2 types of content: 1) TV Everywhere content which can be viewed anywhere in the USA (labeled at "TV Go" in the app); and 2) In-home only content  which includes your full lineup and is delivered over our managed network instead of the open Internet.

The Roku app only contains the in-home only content (called "Title 6 content" in the industry). The benefit is that you can watch all the same on demand and live TV you'd get on your regular set-top box instead of about 200 channels we carry as "TV Go" channels. Also, since the data isn't delivered over the internet, it doesn't count against any data usage plans that may be in effect in your area. This is particularly beneficial for the longer viewing which usually takes place on the bigger TV screen connected to Rokus.  The drawback, as you noted, is that you need to be on your home XFINITY network to get this content - just like you would need your set-top box to be in your home for it to work.

Hope this helps explain it a bit more. Let me know if you have follow-up questions. I'm mostly on here nights and weekends when not doing my day-job.

Best,
ComcastDan

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@plummerl wrote:

Yes, please provide feedback here in the forums which are being monitored by the technical teams to help identify and prioritize issues related to the beta release. We may reach out to individual customers if needed to troubleshoot. 

More info can be found in the FAQs:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xfinity-tv-app-on-roku-faqs

We appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming. Keep it productive.

Thanks,
ComcastDan

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@BobG wrote:

Sorry you are having trouble. To confirm you are in-home we match the IP address of your connection with what we have on file for the IP address associated with your modem's MAC address. If these don't match, the app would think you are not in home.

This issue is more common when customers own their own equipment and haven't properly registered it with us. It can also happen intermittently when a modem gets a new IP address.  If this doesn't resolve itself, you may get faster resolution by calling the support line and talking with the Internet department instead of the video department. 

If you lease your equipment from Comcast, you should be able to confirm the MAC address is correct by using the XFINITY My Account app for iOS/Android.

Hope this help get you hooked up faster than the 48-72 hours!

Cheers,
ComcastDan

Official Employee

@jeremysnj66 wrote:
Bummer, I have 3 Roku devices:

XS
LT
Stick (3500)

None are supported and Roku.com won't let me install the new app.

Anyway around this? Can these devices be supported?

Unfortunately, not at this time. Even if you could find a workaround, devices were excluded for good reasons (typically performance) so you would likely be disappointed with the result anyway. It is possible that more devices will become supported as the app goes through the beta testing process. 

Frequent Visitor

I am having trouble seeing the local (abc, cbs, fox, NBC) on the guide. The channel numbers are skipped over on the guide. I saw posted that you should be to see the local broadcast. Any ideas on why they aren't showing up. 

New Poster

Installed the beta app on my roku TV and currently trying to watch live tv program. It's just been less than an hour and I am having sound delay problem on an HD channel. SD channel sound works fine. Anyone else having the same problem/observation?
Frequent Visitor

So far so good. I'm glad this finally happened, but I must say, if Comcast tries to charge any fee whatsoever, I'm moving on to another provider. TV plus Internet doesn't need to cost over $200 a month anymore. There are plenty of options out there for under $100. I'm more than willing to pay for their blazing fast internet and great channel line up, but there needs to be a line and charging customers to use an app, especially on a per device basis is crossing it IMO...
New Poster

I was able to add the Xfinity Beta channel, via the Roku app on my phone. I just went onto my Roku to check it out and it is not there. When I went back and searched on my phone, the app is no longer in the Roku search there, either. Did you guys take it down or are having problems with it?
New Poster

The app is working pretty well for me so far. Would like to be able to hide sd channels. I'm not able to delete dvr recordings from the app and that would be a nice feature to have. It really doesn't seem all that different than the app on my iPhone...was hoping for something a little more like the X1.
Regular Visitor

Full Roku device lineup support should be an area of focus. I bought one of my devices last year, so not all that old. All major streaming services work on these devices: MLB, ESPN, HBO, Sling, Vue, even the Time Warner Spectrum app. To eliminate devices limits your reach and really makes the app look worse than it already does. Happy to report of the performance is unacceptable or not.
Regular Contributor

I'm not seeing it in my channels on my iPhone but it's still the first app on the Roku streaming stick. It's also listed as the most recent in purchase history in my account. 

Contributor

@Ab_c_de__ wrote:
Installed the beta app on my roku TV and currently trying to watch live tv program. It's just been less than an hour and I am having sound delay problem on an HD channel. SD channel sound works fine. Anyone else having the same problem/observation?

Yes. Same problem.  On mine, sync is broken usually within a couple of minutes.  The beta channel isn't working properly on Roku TVs. 

ComcastDan.  Have your development techs experimented with more direct routes through firewalls, etc?  Part of the problem I see is that the Roku channel cycles much faster than other streaming apps, like Netflix, CNNGo and Amazon.  It grabs a block of data, then drops off and then grabs another block, etc.  The blocks are generally smaller causing the device to cycle every second or two whereas as the other channels grab larger blocks less frequently and are more stable. I'm wondering if stability can be improved by setting a static IP and then forwarding ports directly to the device. It probably won't make a difference but I'm happy to try if you could send me the ports the channel uses and the protocols (TCP/UDP).

Frequent Visitor

Ars Technica confirmed, it will cost $7.45 per Roku per month after the beta. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/comcast-will-charge-extra-fee-for-watching-tv...

Well, that's all folks. I'm changing services. Thanks for absolutely nothing. If I'd wanted to pay that I would have a long time ago and not waited for a Roku option.
Contributor

Here are some feature requests.  

*  The guide should "wrap" at the beginning and end  i.e.  Channel up from the lowest channel should move to the highest channel and vice versa

*  The up and down buttons on the roku while in live TV mode should change stream to the next or previous stream.  

Out of curisoity, can anyone say if the app operates via UDP Multicast or TCP stream?

Regular Visitor

I found an article in Variety that confirms there will be a charge to use the app.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/comcast-xfinity-app-roku-1201974253/

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku

So the new rumors are that Comcast will end up charging for the Roku app as an additional outlet with a $2 credit. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the app? Why would I pay $8 ($10-$2 credit) for the app when I can't even pause or rewind live TV on it? Might as well keep the boxes for $2 difference. It would take forever to pay off the cost of buying a Roku. Leave it to Comcast to mess this up. I have used the app and it is great minus the pause/ rewind of live TV. This is the future Comcast! Don't charge customer almost the same price as you charge for an X1 box!

Regular Contributor

@jkweinberger1 wrote:

I found an article in Variety that confirms there will be a charge to use the app.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/comcast-xfinity-app-roku-1201974253/

"A Comcast rep said the company is currently “evaluating our additional outlet policies.”"

That's no more of a confirmation than the other article's unnamed source is.

Wait for the official announcement.

Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

lol chrishicks!

I tried the app last night.  I didn't have any problems finding it or setting it up.  The stream quality seemed fine, though the picture wasn't quite as clean as normal cable TV.  Just now realized I didn't try any local or SD channels.  I wish my Roku remote worked as a channel switcher while watching a channel instead of having to go back to the guide, and if I do go back to the guide, I wish the current channel would be shown in the corner like my cable box does.

And the volume is super low!  On my tv, the volume is normally set around 10-12.  I had to crank it up to 60+ when using the app.  Please fix that or make it variable in the app.

And, the fee, whatever it ends up being, needs to be super low.  I'm using my own equipment for craps sake.

Highlighted
New Poster

The Roku app will work well for my kitchen tv (assuming no fee or very low fee), but won't be the right solution for our guest bedroom / office tv. There is a cable outlet already in the room; what do I need to watch TV, my DVR recordings, and be able to pause live tv? Will DTA work, or do I need another X1 box? What is the charge? Thank you!

Contributor

Comcast's rental policies are inconsistent, so this is all speculation.  On the television side, TiVO owners have to pay a smaller monthly equipment fee in lieu of a bigger set top box rental fee.  By contrast, on the internet side, people who use their own cable modems instead of renting them from Comcast pay no monthly equipment fee for internet service at all.

Frequent Visitor

I had to force an update on my Roku for the channel to appear. I played with it a little watching a DVR recording and it was a little choppy. The picture was also a little pixelated but I'd be fine with dropping one set top box in exchange for using the Roku for free.

My guess is Comcast will enact the charge based on the service you have so maybe those who get every channel known to man won't get hit. I can hope...the posts seems to indicate you would get hit for it as a primary outlet. I plan on keeping the main X1 box in my live room and was just going to turn in the secondary box for my bedroom, using the Roku instead. Does anyone know if Comcast plans to charge you if it's used as an additional outlet box for a multi-room DVR?

Administrator
Regular Contributor

I'm waiting for Comcast to make their decision about extra fees. I'll definitely opt out if there is an additional outlet fee. There are plenty of great free channels in the Roku channel store. I don't use more than a few hundred gb of data a month to worry about a data overage. I'll be disappointed if there is a fee. I bought two Roku devices for this. I could have bought an Apple TV for that amount and enjoyed it more than I am now. Mistake made. Buyer's remorse. Sigh 😔 

Regular Visitor

Overall, really solid app - good work!  Some feedback, impressions, and thoughts below:

- Privide the ability to mark channels or shows as a favorite

- Provide the ability to filter on HD, favorites, etc.

- Make it easier (less clicks/navigation) to swtich between live TV guide, on-demand, and Cloud DVR

- Provide ability to change channels without having to go back to the guide.  E.g. * then type in a channel number, or go to a miniguide

- Fix the (presumed) bug where when you go back to the guide, it does not shift to the current time.  You have to scroll forward to the current time.

- For me, stability was pretty solid, especially compared to other streaming services.  I did notice the app crashing out on 2 occasions for no obvious reason.  But, I had it streaming pretty much all day yesterday and this morning, so 2 hiccups in that timespan is pretty good.  

Other thoughts and impressions

- This may be the best live streaming app as-is (totally my opinion and may not be shared by others).  My opinion is that the UI it is as good or better than Sling, Vue, or DirecTV now - good work.  Once there are some UI refinements, it may be (for me) the best one out there.  

- Continuing that thought, if you can eliminate subtle/hidden fees in your billing and pricing (local broadcast fees, potential outlet charges, etc.) while keeping prices competitive, and make it available to any customer in any market, with any Internet provider, with Apple TV and Amazon Fire support, you will have the best streaming service out there.  

- Bring it to Apple TV and other streaming platforms!

- Please do not make additional fees unreasonable!  It infuriates me to no end to have to pay an additional outlet fee for each TV where I want to watch content.  I think limits on concurrent streams and/or a reasonable ($5 or so) fee to enable OTT streaming for a household is reasonable.  I think having to pay a fee for each OTT streaming box is unreasonable and will not compete in the market against the likes of Vue, Sling, and others.  Again, eliminating subtle fees is vital to compete with other offerings.  For me, if pricing ends up being unreasonable I am dropping Xfinity TV again.  

Contributor

@mark.bidewell wrote:

*  The guide should "wrap" at the beginning and end  i.e.  Channel up from the lowest channel should move to the highest channel and vice versa

*  The up and down buttons on the roku while in live TV mode should change stream to the next or previous stream.  

Out of curisoity, can anyone say if the app operates via UDP Multicast or TCP stream?

I set up a static IP address for my 3600 streaming stick and tracked it through my router's system log.  Looks like TCP only.

Contributor

@JEB11 wrote:

@mark.bidewell wrote:

I set up a static IP address for my 3600 streaming stick and tracked it through my router's system log.  Looks like TCP only.

Thanks!  I was curious because the app seems to impact other network traffic far more than streaming via amazon.

Regular Visitor

I have two 32" Roku TV 5134X that I just bought in November (2015 model, though) with software 7.5.2 and still it does not show Xfinity Beta on the channel search. When I added it from the web it said my 32" tv's were not compatible, but I was able to get it on my 40" Roku TV 6104x 7.5.0, but I already have a box on that TV. Anyone know why I can't get it on the 32's?
Tags (3)