Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Thanks for the response. The updated first post mentions that I would need to be an X1 Cloud DVR customer to have access to my Cloud DVR recordings.

 

This brings up more questions:

1) Do I need to rent a set top box or can I just add the X1 Cloud DVR service?

2) If I need a set top box, is it only to set recordings?

 

Misc:

3) WIll this integrate with Roku's global search?

4) Are you guys testing on 4K TVs? Does your interface scale well using vector graphics or high res images?

 

Feedback:

- If there needs to be a splash screen, Live TV should be front and center followed by Recordings and On Demand on each side.

- Once you go the app route, you are gonna have to add profiles like Netflix. Before profiles, my Netflix dashboard was a hot mess of kids shows and reality drama. I assume this will quickly become the same.

 

I am excited about the Roku app and its evolution even if it is not my prefered platform. Thanks for the open conversation.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Is there a way to pause, rewind, etc. when watching live tv on the Roku channel?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Hi there. 

 

Does anyome have a direct link for xfinity.com/ authorize? I have tried to find it so I can input the activation code. I just cant find  it?

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Just type that into the address line and hit enter.Http://www.comcast.com/authorize

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@jkweinberger1 wrote:

Just type that into the address line and hit enter.Http://www.comcast.com/authorize


Perfect, it worked, thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

3600R Streaming stick and my Roku 3 Seem to work very well, I'm pleased with the quality of picture and stream.

I saw a few people asking to add saved channels to the saved funtion from the main menu. On my app that Saved function brings up recordings I have saved in the cloud DVR so I think you might be missing the point of this button.

I would like to mirror the comments regarding way to many button pushes to get to a channel and adding channel filters, perhaps only showing the channels we subscribe to as well. The current method of scolling through is clunky. I do like that pressing the "*" allows you to skip down in the guide and fortunately for me I know my HD channels start at 800.

Lastly, I would also like to submit my feedback that I honestly don't believe the usage of this app should be costing us additional money since the whole purpose of it is to cut down on box rentals. If it were to cost say a couple bucks a month to access the Roku app on multiple devices I'd see the value in that but paying for the app on each roku when we had to go out and purchase the rokus ourselves is just plain rude. Especially with as many comcast reps who are quoted as saying the roku is a way to avoid the additional rental fees. Some folks have even joined Xfinity because of this promise and I renewed a 2 year contract based on this app coming out and being free.

Just my two cents.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

If they charge I will likely either switch to my own equiptment either a tivo or alternative or just cancel them all together and go with a streaming option. My parents have Charter and their app doesnt charge them and works well. No reason for this other than greed.

Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@jth182 wrote:

I restarted my 3600 and still get errors.

 

 

 


@joenhre08 wrote:

Restarted my Roku and that fixed the DRM errors. 

 

So far everything is looking good. The GUI is pretty snappy. The picture quality on HD channels is good. Streamed one HD channel for about 45 minutes so far with no buffering or hiccups at all. The biggest thing that it is missing for me is the favorite channels option. 


 


I would take note of each DRM error you are getting and post them here. Maybe ComcastDan or one of the other Comcast reps who may be reading this thread can relay those error codes to the deveolpers so they can relay back what could be causing those errors.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Time Warner Cable doesn't charge either for their Roku app. I'll be very disappointed if they go through with charging a fee after the beta period.
Expert
Moved:

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

What a crock! I have stream tv but I can access anything though the Roku app. There are no options to watch anthing! So much for the excitement of the app. I don't see what the difference is between watching it for free on you tablet or pc but you can't allow it on the Roku. geesh!

 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I am having the same issues. I've tried restarting my roku and activating the app again. Nothings worked Smiley Sad Hope it gets fixed soon.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Question:

I have a Comcast account for TV at a vacation home in another state, that is active all year. This home also has an Internet account for part of the year. I now want to use Roku at my primary home that does have a Comcast Internet account and uses my own cable modem and router, but does not have any Comcast TV accounts. Will this work? 

BTW, I have installed the Xfinity TV app on my IPAD and that works fine at my primary home.

Thanks

 

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@OTigrao wrote:
I unlinked my Roku TV from my account twice and then tried installing the channel. It finally allowed me to install it and it appeared on my TV.

So far it isn't performing very well. I have received DRM errors and it has restarted my TV twice. Yikes!

My Roku TV isn't working well, either.  There seems to be problems with Roku TVs in particular. 

 

Has anybody gotten a Roku TV--not a TV with a Roku device plugged into it but specifically a Roku TV--to work smoothly with this app?  What model do you have and how did you do it?

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@Imkms wrote:

Question:

I have a Comcast account for TV at a vacation home in another state, that is active all year. This home also has an Internet account for part of the year. I now want to use Roku at my primary home that does have a Comcast Internet account and uses my own cable modem and router, but does not have any Comcast TV accounts. Will this work? 

BTW, I have installed the Xfinity TV app on my IPAD and that works fine at my primary home.

Thanks

 


Unlikely. This has been discussed earlier in this thread. The Roku channel is not designed to permit one cable subscription to serve two separate addresses. 

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@Imkms wrote:

Question:

I have a Comcast account for TV at a vacation home in another state, that is active all year. This home also has an Internet account for part of the year. I now want to use Roku at my primary home that does have a Comcast Internet account and uses my own cable modem and router, but does not have any Comcast TV accounts. Will this work? 

BTW, I have installed the Xfinity TV app on my IPAD and that works fine at my primary home.

Thanks

 


Under the scenario you presented, the Roku app could only be used in your vacation home during the times of year when Internet is active in that same home. The video streams are delivered over the Comcast managed network, not the open Internet. Therefore, the video account and Internet account need to be within the same household for things to work. 

 

-ComcastDan


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

If you're trying to avoid additional fees you can remove Tivo as an option. Those will require a $7.50/month cable card charge($10.00 + a $2.50 customer owned credit). Of course if you already have a Tivo and are just talking about adding a Tivo Mini than disregard this post.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I used the app for about 3 hours last night.  Very nice for an initial release.  Streaming was smooth except for rebuffering near the end of programs.  One thing I did note was that it seemed that Bandwidth utilization was unusually high.  For reference I have an Arris TM822g eMTA connected to a Linksys WRT1900ACS running LEDE.  I know this setup is capable of pushing at least 220Mbps (speedtest) via wireless.  I have the Blast internet upgrade.

Using the router's monitoring it looked as though I was seeing about 24Mbps consistent load on the wireless and peaks even higher.  This seems high for a TV capable of 720p/1080i.  A speedtest (over wireless) while streaming gave about 119Mbps which should allow web surfing without issues.  However it seems like DNS queries became very slow while streaming, after initial DNS queries were cached performance improved.  All xfinity sites (such as "My Account") were almost unusable.  For comparison, I have not noted performance issues when streaming from sources like Amazon Prime.

I don't think the router is at issue as its load average was rarely above 0.5.  Do the newer Wireless Gateway have better performance than the TM822g?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

My wife went to use the TV that has the Roku Stick hooked to it this morning. When she went into the xfinity app it wanted her to re-authorize the account? This didn't occur on the TV that has the Roku 3 connected to this. Any thoughts?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@BruceDelaney wrote:

My wife went to use the TV that has the Roku Stick hooked to it this morning. When she went into the xfinity app it wanted her to re-authorize the account? This didn't occur on the TV that has the Roku 3 connected to this. Any thoughts?


I'm guessing we somehow signed out of the app but I'm not sure how.

 

  • Does entering another app on the roku sign us out?
  • Is there something I need to select when I sign in to authorize the account that I might have missed?
  • Could it be signing me out of the app on one Roku when I authorize another Roku?

Any insight here would be great.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I'm not sure if this is causing the instability problems I've been seeing on the Roku TV, but I've been monitoring bandwidth usage on my Router from the Roku Streaming Stick (3600).  Although the stick appears to maintain a stable connection, bandwidth usage fluctuates wildly.  Every 2-3 seconds the download voluime shoots up to approximately 8 Mbps and then plunges to about 75 Kbps.  You could use the needle on my router's bandwidth gauge as a fan.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@JEB11 wrote:

I'm not sure if this is causing the instability problems I've been seeing on the Roku TV, but I've been monitoring bandwidth usage on my Router from the Roku Streaming Stick (3600).  Although the stick appears to maintain a stable connection, bandwidth usage fluctuates wildly.  Every 2-3 seconds the download voluime shoots up to approximately 8 Mbps and then plunges to about 75 Kbps.  You could use the needle on my router's bandwidth gauge as a fan.


This could be valid,  The app buffers then play through that buffer, the grabs another buffer etc.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I agree about the picture quality, the HD picture quality isn't that great.   It seems to be the same reason I see in other topics regarding the HD quality in the markets that have transitioned to Mpeg 4 from Mpeg 2.   The picture looks washed out.   I compared the same channel on the same TV switching back and forth from my TiVo to my Roku 3, the TiVo definitely beats the app in picture quality.   Now the picture was better than SD and the text was clear and crisp, but looking at the faces of the actors, definitely washed out with poor skin tone.   Used the same input on my TV, so it’s not the picture adjustment on my TV.  

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Is anyone else still dealing with the "Something went wrong. Error DRM.-6" issue or am I alone with this now?

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Adding a fee to use Roku defeats the purpose to me, especially if it's in that price range.

Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@chrishicks wrote:

Is anyone else still dealing with the "Something went wrong. Error DRM.-6" issue or am I alone with this now?


I was when I first started using the app. I restarted my roku and stopped getting those errors. Others have said that they tried restarting but were still getting the DRM errors. I am not sure what is causing the errors but maybe this can be passed on to the developers and they can figure out what is causing those errors.

Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@crunch32 wrote:

Comcast Dan

 

Could you comment if there is actually going to be a fee to use this app on roku when final version comes out.

 

Seems to defeat purpose of app.

 

 

Does not seem right and if there will actually be a fee this should have been communicated a long time ago


The one and only purpose of this app was to enable us to watch our X1 stuff via a Roku device, which is exactly what it does.  In many cases, cable can now be watched where previously it couldn't because there was no way to get a cable to the TV.  In all cases, there is no fee for the additional box.  Sure, there will probably be a fee for the convenience of watching TV via our Roku, but it most likely won't be as much as for an STB.  Those who were willing to pay for a STB but couldn't get a cable to where they needed it are ecstatic because now they can watch TV there.


CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Visitor

Xfinity Roku App Beta

I have a TCL Roku TV  5xxx series running versio 7.5x and cannot see the app in the channel store.  My tv is connected to my personal router which is connected to the Xfinity provided router so I am NOT using the xfinitywifi network.  Any idea why I cannot see the app in the channel store?

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@egnlsn wrote:

@crunch32 wrote:

Comcast Dan

 

Could you comment if there is actually going to be a fee to use this app on roku when final version comes out.

 

Seems to defeat purpose of app.

 

 

Does not seem right and if there will actually be a fee this should have been communicated a long time ago


The one and only purpose of this app was to enable us to watch our X1 stuff via a Roku device, which is exactly what it does.  In many cases, cable can now be watched where previously it couldn't because there was no way to get a cable to the TV.  In all cases, there is no fee for the additional box.  Sure, there will probably be a fee for the convenience of watching TV via our Roku, but it most likely won't be as much as for an STB.  Those who were willing to pay for a STB but couldn't get a cable to where they needed it are ecstatic because now they can watch TV there.


If this was truly the only purpose, why are so many reporting that they entered into contracts or had xfinity cable / internet installed based on reps telling them that the Roku app would allow them addational viewing portals w/o incurring any additional fees except for the cost of the Roku itself?

As for there being a fee, I personally don't feel there should be any fee. However, a small few dollar convnience fee for the roku app itself (Not per roku device) would definitely cause a lot less up-roar then a fee for every device in the realm of the cost for a set top box.

I recently returned 3 cable connected Digatal Adapters because over the course of just a few years they've gone from costing 1.50 to 5.99 in various incremental price hikes. (Total BS if you ask me) The reason I felt comfortable returning them was the promise of this new Roku app on the horizon that was supposed to be no charge and similar to the Android, Broswer based app, just on a roku device.

 

~Bruce

Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@BruceDelaney wrote:

@BruceDelaney wrote:

My wife went to use the TV that has the Roku Stick hooked to it this morning. When she went into the xfinity app it wanted her to re-authorize the account? This didn't occur on the TV that has the Roku 3 connected to this. Any thoughts?


I'm guessing we somehow signed out of the app but I'm not sure how.

 

  • Does entering another app on the roku sign us out?
  • Is there something I need to select when I sign in to authorize the account that I might have missed?
  • Could it be signing me out of the app on one Roku when I authorize another Roku?

Any insight here would be great.


Perhaps the TV's USB port loses power when the TV is turned off, and when it's powered back on, the Roku stick is seen as a new device ((since it's just (re)connected)).


CIAO!

Ed N.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Roku App Beta

See the full thread here:

Xfinity TV on Roku

 

Basically, you may need to go to the Roku store online and add it there.

XFINITY TV Beta

 

You then may need to reboot or force a system update on the Roku device to actually download and install it. You can also simply add any other channel, which also seems to trigger the download of the Xfinity app.

 

 (Edited after this separate thread was merged into the main one.)

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

The Roku app is great and will only get better with enhancements.  I really hope they don't charge for it, it will never be a set top box replacement for the average user.  The on demand section is good, but using it to 'channel surf' the live channels will never be the same experience as a setup boxes speed and ease of use with channel up/down, volume, number pad etc.

Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@BruceDelaney wrote:

If this was truly the only purpose, why are so many reporting that they entered into contracts or had xfinity cable / internet installed based on reps telling them that the Roku app would allow them addational viewing portals w/o incurring any additional fees except for the cost of the Roku itself?

~Bruce


Reps definitely do have the latest and most accurate information available, and always present things in the most accurate way possible.

 

Yes, the app does allow additional viewing options, and any fees for those options are yet TBD.  There may even be no fee at all.  Saving us money is not the reason the app was/is being developed -- it's a benefit that comes with using the app.

 

I agree that any fee should be for the service, not per device.


CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@egnlsn wrote:

@BruceDelaney wrote:

@BruceDelaney wrote:

My wife went to use the TV that has the Roku Stick hooked to it this morning. When she went into the xfinity app it wanted her to re-authorize the account? This didn't occur on the TV that has the Roku 3 connected to this. Any thoughts?


I'm guessing we somehow signed out of the app but I'm not sure how.

 

  • Does entering another app on the roku sign us out?
  • Is there something I need to select when I sign in to authorize the account that I might have missed?
  • Could it be signing me out of the app on one Roku when I authorize another Roku?

Any insight here would be great.


Perhaps the TV's USB port loses power when the TV is turned off, and when it's powered back on, the Roku stick is seen as a new device ((since it's just (re)connected)).


I power it through the wall adapter not the TV's USB port.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Roku App Beta


@gastorm wrote:

I have a TCL Roku TV  5xxx series running versio 7.5x and cannot see the app in the channel store.  My tv is connected to my personal router which is connected to the Xfinity provided router so I am NOT using the xfinitywifi network.  Any idea why I cannot see the app in the channel store?


Seems most have had the best success by logging into their Roku account via a web browser, searching for xfinity, adding the app and then going in to settings on their ROKU Device and checking for updates at which point it should add the app to your menu. Provided your TV fits the criteria.

Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity Roku App Beta


@andyross wrote:

See the full thread here:

Xfinity TV on Roku

 

Basically, you may need to go to the Roku store online and add it there.

XFINITY TV Beta

 

You then may need to reboot or force a system update on the Roku device to actually download and install it. You can also simply add any other channel, which also seems to trigger the download of the Xfinity app.

 

 


Yesterday, I added it via the web.  Then I chatted with a Roku agent to ask if adding a channel online would add it to all devices on my account, or just the most recent one used.  She told me all devices would get it.

 

So I get home, turn on the TV, go to Roku and the Xfinity app wasn't there.  I saw that it had just updated that morning, but I updated it again.  Saw that the Xfinity app was being installed.  It restarted, and all has been well since.


CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Regarding, "I agree that any fee should be for the service, not per device."

 

If I can get Xfinity TV on my phone, tablet or browser for free, why would I want to pay for this "service" on a Roku? Is there something added that comes with the fee? I had been using a Mac Mini for a while as my TV using the Xfinity TV website in Safari. It worked fairly well. There was no additional fee. In fact, I had to call Comcast support to find out how I could access the DVR (the one you get for free with the bundle). They added Cloud DVR to the account and I had that, too.

 

So, why any fee at all?

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Comcast Jessie,

 

Why can't this be used outside the home network?  It defeats the purpose of being able to watch outside the house.  We bought my daughter a Roku Ultra for christmas thinking she could connect while at college.  Why can't there be a limited number of Roku connections outside the home network?  This can't even be used while traveling.  You say that Comcast is concerned about other users using this and not paying for cable on the Roku. Then you say that Xfinity can be used through a laptop or tablet.  What's the difference if someone uses those devices without paying?  Use some sort of security measure or limit 1 Roku to be used on the account outside the home network.

 

Ron

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

A fee!?!  Ugh.  I wanted to get rid of these DTAs that just went up to 6 freakin dollars a month.  These dumb little boxes were FREE to begin with, and they just keep jacking up the price.  Get a clue, Comcast.  I had hopes.  I was hopeful for you to do something that made customers happy, but you went the opposite way, just like every other change you make.  Even if the fee is $2/mo, I absolutely do not trust you to not raise it up another $2 every couple years.

 

I'm so mad right now.  I'm in the middle of a 2 year contract where you aren't changing the price of my basic cable service.  BUT... the price of all the extras you need to actually watch TV have gone up. Every sort of TV box, "fees" for local sports on channels that you own, "HD Technology" like the signal wasn't already HD when you recieved it before funneling it to me, whatever the "franchise" is, rebroadcasting local channels that are FREE through an antenna...

 

I'm not sure I understand how locking me into a contract, then raising fees/charges on a whim is ethical or even legal.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

For the most part, I like the Xfinity App.  I think everything negative in my feedback is fixable so I look forward to app updates and the final release.

Here's feedback on my experience

  • I will probably not use Roku post Beta if there is a fee associated with it.
    • Apart from Roku, I'm okay with a small fee to enable Clould DVR for customers like me who do not have X1 so it can be used with Roku/portal.
  • Unexpected low resolution on some On Demand content
    • Starz, TCM, FXM
  • High/Good resolution on most other content
    • Live TV - Sports, Broadcast networks, even Starz, TCM which had poor On Demand resolution
    • On Demand for broadcast networks, MGM is good
  • I would like less dialogs/confirmations in UI
  • Navigating TV list is expected to improve.  I think these have already been mentioned
    • Search option at all level instead of only at top-level
    • HD only filter
    • Favorites
  • I would like paritiy with tv.xfinity.com portal
    • Portal seems to have more On Demand content
    • Portal includes TVGO content, e.g.ESPN3

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

please remember this app is still in Beta and hopefully the kinks will be worked out.At least for me watching live tv or on Demand through the app seems to have a slightly better picture than thru my STB,but maybe some others dont seem to experience that.I hope the builders of this app consider all the ideas of improving,but for now I am glad they got it out for us to try instead of making us wait until it was fully developed..

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Okay so far I like this app. I tried watching GMA on ABC live but I just don't like live TV with all of the silliness it entails. Later on today I used the app's on demand service to watch yesterday's shows in place of the network apps that I would normally use.

 

One other nice caveat that I've noticed. NBC, ABC, FOX and other major OTA broadcast stations offer use of their apps for free in most cases. Except CBS. Even if you have a cable TV subscription they still charge extra for their CBS All Access app. That's not a good thing for CBS to do. But now I can watch CBS on demand through the Xfinity app on my Roku. I thought that was cool.

 

So far no other complaints. This is a lovely addition to my Roku device and my living room entertainment system.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I am noticed people talking about the wifi aspect of this between the Comcast router and the Roku box.  I have a Roku Ultra, which has an ethernet port so I have my Roku hard-wired to the Comcast router.  I wondered if this would also make the Xfinity app work faster and if others have had experience with this too.  In testing the app last night, it seemed to work well, although once per picture quality went down when I brought up an On Demand movie.  Others have noted that already the lack of pause/rewind/fast-forward and no filtering to HD only channels as something they hope is added to this beta app.

Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku


@telc wrote:

The Roku app is great and will only get better with enhancements.  I really hope they don't charge for it, it will never be a set top box replacement for the average user.  The on demand section is good, but using it to 'channel surf' the live channels will never be the same experience as a setup boxes speed and ease of use with channel up/down, volume, number pad etc.


Supposedly a request I made months ago was sent on to find a way to either make the X1 voice remote we currently have work with the app either thru Roku or the one X1 that those of us will keep, or build a new remote like we have now but communicates with the Roku box the same way their remote does. We'll see what we end up with.

 

Or maybe an X1 Roku app for smartphones could or would be easier to create. Not the most desirable solution, but better than what we have now. Only having the Roku remote to control everything an X1 does is going to be a pain.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

YAY, it is out. So far I'm happy with it. Just a few feature requests:

 

- Ability to tag Favorite Channels (only have a list of "Recent Channels" right now)

- Ability to filter for HD channels only

- Some sort of "Page Up/Down" capability (not sure if it is possible to find a way to do this with the simlified Roku remote... maybe a button on the screen?)

 

Other than that, so far so good. :-)

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Anyone else have any audio issues? I was watching the Knicks and wizards game last evening and it buffered a lot and than it stopped. When it did this I would back out and start over seemed to fix it but than I kept losing audio and would have to back out and do it again. I checked some of the other channels and had no issues.

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity Roku App Beta

Thanks for the comment it fixed the issue.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I've installed, signed out, and reinstalled and it still will not play live or on demand. I consistently get a drm error.
20170201_124844.jpg
New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Has no one mentioned when fast forwarding the screen is frozen on where you were. So you can't forward through commercials and press play when the show is resuming, you have to guess now. Please change that.
Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

phillygirl2013,

This is all I get as well. I've also done multiple logouts through the app as well as rebooted my Roku, my Comcast gateway and my router multiple times. I can browse my Cloud recordings, TV listings, On Demand selections and so on but the moment I try to actually watch anything I get the exact same screen you get.