Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

The beta channel is definitely not working well with a Roku TV 5316X (Sharp).  After a couple of hours of experimenting, live TV channels fail to stream consistently.  Frequently, they don't load at all.  When they do, the screen flashes within a minute and lip sync is lost, producing an audio lag of around 5-10 seconds.  Lock ups are frequent.

Regular Contributor

I am going to assume the Roku app has the same limitations as all Xfinity TV apps and the Xfinity TV portal where you can not filter the guide by favorite channels. When the Xfinity TV Portal finally gets updated with that feature hopefully the Roku app gets it as well.

Frequent Visitor

I used to live in Charlotte and when I was there I had Time Warner Cable Service.  In my place there, I used the TWC App on my Roku and it worked great and gave me the full service of another cable box there..  The TWC App on the ROKU never worked when I was back here in Jacksonville but the Phone App did work that allowed me set the DVR and watch programs on my phone... some of them live...

The Xfinity TV App on my phone and tablets have let me watch live tv on the road for many channels and once home, I can use the TV app to watch local channels..

My solution in Charlotte was a Slingbox which I have hooked up here in Jacksonville which lets me watch everything off my cable box. 

Anyway... I have 3 ROKU's, a Roku 3 which I am using now without a problem but 2 first generation Streaming Sticks which are not supported which is too bad since that's what I have in a bedroom..     It does work very similarly to how the tablets work..

Contributor

@andyross wrote:

@OTigrao wrote:

Has anyone successfully downloaded this app on a Roku TV yet?

Follow this link to the Roku store and add the channel:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-tv-beta

If it doesn't automatically appear on your device, you may need to go to settings/system/system update and force a check. I had to do that to make it download.

When I go to the Roku store on the web it tells me this when I click on the Add Channel button:

roku2.png

I don't think they did the device compatibility checking correctly for Roku TVs.

Official Employee

@OTigrao wrote:

@andyross wrote:

@OTigrao wrote:

Has anyone successfully downloaded this app on a Roku TV yet?

Follow this link to the Roku store and add the channel:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-tv-beta

If it doesn't automatically appear on your device, you may need to go to settings/system/system update and force a check. I had to do that to make it download.

When I go to the Roku store on the web it tells me this when I click on the Add Channel button:

roku2.png

I don't think they did the device compatibility checking correctly for Roku TVs.

I'm sorry you're having trouble. Are you able to add any other Roku channels to your Roku?  This message seems to imply that you don't have a Roku device associated with your online Roku account.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

So what about us with residential TV and business Internet?  Comcast sells me both, so I expect Comcast and Comcast to work together... is that the case, what needs to be done to get the app to work correctly with a business Internet account?

Official Employee

@JEB11 wrote:

The beta channel is definitely not working well with a Roku TV 5316X (Sharp).  After a couple of hours of experimenting, live TV channels fail to stream consistently.  Frequently, they don't load at all.  When they do, the screen flashes within a minute and lip sync is lost, producing an audio lag of around 5-10 seconds.  Lock ups are frequent.

Sorry you are having issues. Are you on WiFi by any chance?  These symptoms sound consistent with a bad internet connection.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

My screen size is also tiny. I hope that is corrected soon.

New Poster

I have my own modem and router, but Xfinity WiFi, and I'm getting an error after activation stating that I must be on my in-home XFINITY WiFi. Does this actually require us to be using the Xfinity Wireless Modem/Router combo?

Official Employee

@djshack wrote:

I have my own modem and router, but Xfinity WiFi, and I'm getting an error after activation stating that I must be on my in-home XFINITY WiFi. Does this actually require us to be using the Xfinity Wireless Modem/Router combo?

No, your Roku just needs to be connected to your in-home XFINITY network. If this doesn't resolve itself, it could mean that we don't have your modem's MAC address properly noted on your account (more common with customer-owned equipment). 

Official Employee

@stangbass08 wrote:

My screen size is also tiny. I hope that is corrected soon.

Please try watching on an HD channel. You can use the asterisk key on the remote to type in a channel number to get you there more quickly.

New Poster

@djshack wrote:

I'm using my own modem and router and I didn't have any problems activating over my own wireless connection, if that makes you feel any better.

Regular Contributor

That worked for me, but I so miss my X1 remote. I want to talk to it, but it's way to far to run more cable line for me. So the Roku app works for now.

Contributor

@ComcastDan wrote:

I'm sorry you're having trouble. Are you able to add any other Roku channels to your Roku?  This message seems to imply that you don't have a Roku device associated with your online Roku account.

Yep, all other channels I have tried work just fine.

New Poster

Despite it not showing up in the channel selection via my Roku app or on the TV itself (maybe it was slowly propigating out), I was able to find and install from the Roku website, so I got to sit down and try out the app for a while.

The video quality has been better than expected and the app already looks and feels pretty good, so kudos to you guys on that. The "beta" is already probably less buggy than half of the finished Roku apps I use. There's been no issues with streaming quality video at all and the HD channels look great.

I'm going to echo some of what's been said already... It definitely needs some sorting features for the guide. Even an option to view only HD channels would be helpful, as one generally doesn't remember channel numbers for everything off the top of their head, it's very slow to navigate the guide just going up and down, and entering channels via the seperate option menu (understandable, due to lack of number keys on Roku remotes) is kind of a pain just to move farther down the guide to continue browsing, particularly with the HD channels just scattered around the TV listings.

There's the Saved menu, which doesn't currently seem to do a lot (as I don't see a way to save anything at the moment), so I'm hoping there's plans to allow us to set up some favorite channels or something similar. If the guide were somehow customizable and you could only have the channels you actuallly care about listed, that'd be amazing so it doesn't end up being like the box experience where you have to page past 100 pay per view channels and then a few dozen pay cable channels you don't have just to get where you're going. Except with the Roku, it would be much slower and it'd lag every so often as it loads channels and their current lineups.

I look forward to what you guys are going to come up with for the next version and will keep my fingers crossed that there's not going to somehow be an absurd pricing structure attached to the app.

New Poster

I'm still concerned about these "fees". I already pay enough as it is. I understand there is no charge for the demo, but if I wanted to pay a mo they fee, I would've already purchased a separate box. Why am I not being charged to use my laptop hooked up to my TV for the same purpose? If this is the case, then I understand why Comcast has such low customer ratings.... stop with the nickel and diming.
Frequent Visitor

There are a few things I would love to know.

1) Image quality and bitrate - It appears that some are pleased so far. I assume it is not MPEG2. Is it the new MPEG4/h.264 we will see in the future at full quality?

2) Is there a limit on the number of simultaneous streams or registered devices?

3) Does this require at least one set top box? If so, is this because everything is being streamed through the set top box? I only have one CableCard at the moment and would prefer not to have a full set top box in my house.

Thanks in advance.

New Poster

Interesting. So it should work in theory. Has anyone else gotten it working on their own modem and router?
Contributor

I decided to give the new app a try and everything works right up until the moment I try to watch anything. When I try to watch a cloud recording, live tv or anything on demand I get a "Sorry! Something wrent wrong. please try again later. (Error DRM.-6)" message. Is there something I'm possibly missing here? I have an Xfinity gateway with a Trendnet router and an X1 box and the app is installed on a Roku 3 connected via a wired connection.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@telc wrote:

In the Feedback section of the Roku App it said to goto http://forums.xfinity.com/betafeedback and it redirected to this thread for feedback:

Here are a couple suggestions after using the app for about an hour:

1. On the Live TV Guide, have a option to show HD only on the list or auto Tune to HD channel if there is one, like the set top boxes do.
  2. Rememeber last channel when reopening Roku channel, it takes a long time to scroll from channel 2 all the way down to 1000 where the HD's channels are everytime the Roku channel is reopened.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll share it with the team. There are plans to add a feature to auto-tune to HD channels when available in a future release.  Regarding #2, you can hit the "*" key in Live TV and type in the channel number which helps a bit.

Enjoy,

ComcastDan

The Live TV button on the main menu screen being the default button would be helpful.

An option to go straight to Live TV would be best especially for older users who would find it harder to navigate a Roku app.

Contributor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@JEB11 wrote:

Sorry you are having issues. Are you on WiFi by any chance?  These symptoms sound consistent with a bad internet connection.

I am on WiFi.  I don't think the internet connection is the issue.  The Roku TV I have does not have an ethernet port for comparison.  But I have tried both a 5G and a 2.4G band and I have the same problem on both. The Roku TV reports a strong signal ("Excellent") and is only about 20 feet from my router with clear line of sight.  Both Netflix and Amazon Video stream well.  I have a different model Roku device on a different TV located further from the router also on WiFi and it so far is working without issue.  I observed recently that the Xfinity channel also boots up on the Roku TV much more slowly than it does on the Roku Streaming Stick (3600). It almost seems like the Roku TV doesn't have the processing horsepower to run the channel properly. 

Regular Contributor

I've been watching live tv, channel surfing and watching recordings for the last three hours with no problem. Not even a hiccup. This tv didn't work this good when it was connected to the cable box. 

Regular Contributor

I  got it up and working on 3 of my roku devices,2 3600s and 1 4400,however my old 3500 stick wont work,guess I will have to update and buy a newer one.I am going to tell Comcast right off the bat,if you plan on charging us for the access (other than your main box)after the beta,I will be through with Comcast.I as well as many others purchased these Rokus to save money on not having to rent STBs,if Comcasts decides to throw in a fee to use the app I will be forced to go to another service.I was told many times that there would be no additional outlet charges when I purchased the Rokus,by both Comcast and Roku.I hope its not true that Comcast will want an additional fee.And I suggest everyone who uses this app let Comcast know thier dissatisfaction in trying to do so.

Regular Contributor

It never ceases to amaze me how Comcast tries to nickel and it's customers.
I would never pay Comcast a dime to use my own Roku. Maybe that is why I installed an antenna and cancellled my Comcast TV service.

Frequent Visitor

I've spent a fair amount of time going through the app. I have some very constructive criticism I hope will be considered.

1. The UI needs some serious reconsideration. There are poor decisions that detract from ease of use and add additional unwarranted button presses. This is a basic principle of UI design. It's been addressed by others, but the main screen is completely useless and adds a hurdle. Like at least one stated before me, the app should default directly to the "TV Listings" guide, plain and simple. A basic dropdown switching between "TV Listings" and "On Demand" is infinitely more convenient. "Saved", "Settings", and "Search" can very easily live as icons in the upper right of every screen for easy access. I've added some quick mockups I tossed together to illustrate a much more intuitive, navigable app.
  2. The channel list needs reworking. There needs to be at least the option to filter by HD, but adding and removing channels from the guide on a per-account basis would be even more logical. If not, another alternative is favorite channels that show up in the "Saved" section.
  3. In addition to adding favorite channels to the "Saved" section, we need to be able to add live and on-demand show/movies to the "Saved" section as well, but I assume this is already planned.
  4. Watching content, especially On Demand, takes way too many presses. We even have to still select the episode (no defaulting to most recent?) and then select the Comcast source? Why would we need to select the Comcast source at this point, that needs to go.
  5. The "On Demand" section shows everything, and I mean everything. Why would anybody want to be stuck browsing through content only to realize they don't have access to that content? This section needs to be limited to only content that the user has access to.
  6. Users should be able to manually delete content from the "Recently Watched" section in "Saved". Anything you back out of (say, during the credits, for example) stays there and realistically most users would like to be able to remove things they no longer care to have showing up there.
  7. Compression. The video that plays through this app seems overly compressed. The quality is far inferior to all major streaming apps. I don't know if this was intentional to save Comcast from incurring heavy amounts of zero-rated data, but it's pretty disappointing to see picture quality that takes us back a few years.
  8. Lastly, as some others have mentioned, the app is indeed hit-or-miss at the moment. The interface can be very sluggish simply going from one menu item to another with large amounts of lag, and some screens will just refuse to load at random and require an app restart. 

At the moment, I believe these are the most glaring issues I see that are actually useful in creating a more usable app, and not simply personal requests. I'll follow-up if I find more, but these things really need to be looked at.

on_demand_dropdown.jpgOn Demand Dropdown Menuon_demand.jpgOn Demandtv_listings_dropdown.jpgTV Listings Dropdowntv_listings.jpgTV Listingsmain.jpgUnnecessary Screen

Thanks in advance to taking a look.

New Poster

Great news! Excited to try the app. I'm not able to see the app in the channel store on my Roku 5107x running 7.5 firmware. Si instead I tried installing the app via the roku website, https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-tv-beta, and it claimed to be successfully installed, but I still don't see it on my channel list, even after a system update attempt and restart. Thoughts?
New Poster

@Etch27 wrote:
Great news! Excited to try the app. I'm not able to see the app in the channel store on my Roku 5107x running 7.5 firmware. Si instead I tried installing the app via the roku website, https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-tv-beta, and it claimed to be successfully installed, but I still don't see it on my channel list, even after a system update attempt and restart. Thoughts?

I had the same problem. I just ended up installing the Google Photos app from the TV to force it to download something, went to the home screen, and there was both the Xfinity and Photos apps. So I removed the Google Photos app and then used Xfinity just fine.

Official Employee

@two_bits_11 wrote:

There are a few things I would love to know.

1) Image quality and bitrate - It appears that some are pleased so far. I assume it is not MPEG2. Is it the new MPEG4/h.264 we will see in the future at full quality?

2) Is there a limit on the number of simultaneous streams or registered devices?

3) Does this require at least one set top box? If so, is this because everything is being streamed through the set top box? I only have one CableCard at the moment and would prefer not to have a full set top box in my house.

Thanks in advance.

Good questions...

1. Correct, it is MPEG4
  2. There's currently a limit of 5 concurent streams, including the XFINITY TV mobile apps and portal. The number of registered devices is high so shouldn't be a concern.
  3. A Comcast set-top box or CableCARD device (e.g. TiVO) is required in the home at this time for nearly all customers. There's a package in a couple markets called "Stream" which doesn't have this same requirement. The content isn't streamed through the set-top box. The limitation is due to some technical architecture constraints that we hope to remove in a future release related to how channel lineups are determined.

-ComcastDan

New Poster

Thanks ryanspeck, that worked!
Regular Contributor

Well so far not so good for me. I can't get any live channels to stream. I keep getting the error.

Something went wrong. Please try again later.

(Error DRM.-6)
Official Employee

@dcburnquist wrote:

I've spent a fair amount of time going through the app. I have some very constructive criticism I hope will be considered.

1. The UI needs some serious reconsideration. There are poor decisions that detract from ease of use and add additional unwarranted button presses. This is a basic principle of UI design. It's been addressed by others, but the main screen is completely useless and adds a hurdle. Like at least one stated before me, the app should default directly to the "TV Listings" guide, plain and simple. A basic dropdown switching between "TV Listings" and "On Demand" is infinitely more convenient. "Saved", "Settings", and "Search" can very easily live as icons in the upper right of every screen for easy access. I've added some quick mockups I tossed together to illustrate a much more intuitive, navigable app.
  2. The channel list needs reworking. There needs to be at least the option to filter by HD, but adding and removing channels from the guide on a per-account basis would be even more logical. If not, another alternative is favorite channels that show up in the "Saved" section.
  3. In addition to adding favorite channels to the "Saved" section, we need to be able to add live and on-demand show/movies to the "Saved" section as well, but I assume this is already planned.
  4. Watching content, especially On Demand, takes way too many presses. We even have to still select the episode (no defaulting to most recent?) and then select the Comcast source? Why would we need to select the Comcast source at this point, that needs to go.
  5. The "On Demand" section shows everything, and I mean everything. Why would anybody want to be stuck browsing through content only to realize they don't have access to that content? This section needs to be limited to only content that the user has access to.
  6. Users should be able to manually delete content from the "Recently Watched" section in "Saved". Anything you back out of (say, during the credits, for example) stays there and realistically most users would like to be able to remove things they no longer care to have showing up there.
  7. Compression. The video that plays through this app seems overly compressed. The quality is far inferior to all major streaming apps. I don't know if this was intentional to save Comcast from incurring heavy amounts of zero-rated data, but it's pretty disappointing to see picture quality that takes us back a few years.
  8. Lastly, as some others have mentioned, the app is indeed hit-or-miss at the moment. The interface can be very sluggish simply going from one menu item to another with large amounts of lag, and some screens will just refuse to load at random and require an app restart. 

At the moment, I believe these are the most glaring issues I see that are actually useful in creating a more usable app, and not simply personal requests. I'll follow-up if I find more, but these things really need to be lo

Thanks in advance to taking a look.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I'll share it with the team.  Several of your suggestions are already planned (Watchlist, Favorite Channels, HD channel filter and improvements to "Recently Watched"). I'm surprised to hear your criticism of the picture quality - that hasn't been my experience. It is adaptive so please ensure you have a solid network connection and have selected an HD source. 

Best,

ComcastDan

New Poster

Works great, only needs a HD only filter and some sort of last option like the x1 box option that shows the last 10 things watched.

Secondly this mystery price fee post beta. I'm all for paying something around 2 to 4 bucks. But if they treat this like a tivo box and I'm paying $8 a month vs $10 for a second box..... I'd rather just pay the extra 2 bucks for a x1 remote etc that will operate volume and TV power over saving 2 dollars and fifty cents for a roku remote....

That being said. It's a disappointment for sure that any fee is going to be tagged onto roku devices epically if u currently have and plan keeping at least 1 x1 box in the home.

For those upset that this won't work outside your home network.... come on, Comcast would lose money hand over fist if that was allowed because it would be abused. Use the TV GO app. It's a nice middle ground solution. And if you really want to use it on a tv at a vacation home. By a cheap chromebook or laptop and run a hdmi cable to your TV and watch via Web browser.
Frequent Visitor

Yes. I have my own modem and wifi router. I have a Roku stick (2016?) It seems to work just fine for me.

New Poster

Getting a nice clear stream on my Roku 3, but I'm not seeing any local channels in my guide. When I search for NBC, CBS, etc the search results constantly spin. I'm on a pretty basic plan plus Showtime & HBO channels. All of my premium channels are showing up, but none of my locals. Did I miss a step somewhere?

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastDan wrote:

dcburnquist wrote:
  1. Compression. The video that plays through this app seems overly compressed. The quality is far inferior to all major streaming apps. I don't know if this was intentional to save Comcast from incurring heavy amounts of zero-rated data, but it's pretty disappointing to see picture quality that takes us back a few years.

I'm surprised to hear your criticism of the picture quality - that hasn't been my experience. It is adaptive so please ensure you have a solid network connection and have selected an HD source.

Since Xfinity TV picture quality suffered across the board after the MPEG4 migration, the downconversions to 720p and compression, seems likely that the Roku picture quailty will suffer as did home TV sets.

Regular Contributor

Tried on my Roku Ultra and nothing streams. For On Demand I get Error DRM-4 and for Live Channels I get Error DRM-6 . I guess I shouldn't have expected any different from a beta app. Oh well I will have to mess around with it later when I have more time.
Regular Visitor

The beta on my Sharp TV (5318X) is definitely not ready for prime time. I can access some of my X1 cloud recordings but get a DRM error for others. I can stream some movies on demand but none of them stream in HD quality. Everytime I try to stream live TV, it hangs then crashes and restarts the TV set. Mind you, I have it connected wirelessly on an 802.11ac router using the 5GHZ frequency with a -67dBm signal strength. 

New Poster

Update: I can now search for my local channels, but they're still not showing up in my guide. I am also unable to favorite channels using the UI.

Contributor

I would add two other things:
1)  The stream often rebuffers near the top of the hour which can interrupt a program.

2)  The guide does not keep up to the current time, For example if tuning to channel with a half-hour program, if the time is past the first half of the hour, pressing "OK" will open the information for the first half hour rather than tuning to the current program. 

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Dan

Could you comment if there is actually going to be a fee to use this app on roku when final version comes out.

Seems to defeat purpose of app.

Does not seem right and if there will actually be a fee this should have been communicated a long time ago

New Poster

Well it took about an hour, but all of my channels have now propagated. I have a few observations of my own that I didn't see in a previous list:

• It would be nice to have a more convenient way of channel surfing. Perhaps the left/right arrows on the remote could move one channel up/down, the up arrow could be contextual to the current channel (currently the down arrow), and the down arrow could be a truncated guide that stays on the screen with the current live channel
  • I find it problematic that I can't casually surf the channel guide while watching a channel
  • The contextual channel menu needs a favorite button to make it easy to add/remove channels from the favorites menu
  • The star button should allow me to enter a channel number while I'm watching a channel, not just when I'm focused on the guide
Official Employee

@crunch32 wrote:

Comcast Dan

Could you comment if there is actually going to be a fee to use this app on roku when final version comes out.

Seems to defeat purpose of app.

Does not seem right and if there will actually be a fee this should have been communicated a long time agoI don't have any information on potential fees associated with the Roku app. 

I don't have any information on potential fees associated with the Roku app other than that there is no additional charge at this time, during the beta period.

Contributor

Exactly,if there is a fee that will be the last straw for...

Exactly,if there is a fee that will be the last straw for me. I have been waiting a long time for this but I won't pay a fee for something I am already paying for. I am in wait and see mode, get ready for sling I am thinking.

Frequent Visitor

I agree with previous comment:

- Give live TG guide meaning if you press up key show us at the bottom of the screen the TV guide with the channel you are on and what is on now plus next 2 shows and next and previous 3-4 channels, using the left and right key to move up and down the channel while the current stream plays

Contributor

I unlinked my Roku TV from my account twice and then tried installing the channel. It finally allowed me to install it and it appeared on my TV.

So far it isn't performing very well. I have received DRM errors and it has restarted my TV twice. Yikes!
Regular Contributor

This app is a mess.  I can't get anything to load.  I don't think it even deserves the "beta" title.

Frequent Visitor

Works perfect for me. If you don't have subscription to a ch you will get an error.I can't get over the fact that you have to stop the stream and go back to the guide to change the ch. Who designed this?

New Poster

only problem i am having is the screen size for sd channels they are very small boxed screen does nort size all the way up and down on the tv will post pics later
Channel 316 does not show its kpdxdt2 Escape  it also does not show on computer eaither.
The app is very laggy and slow

Images that are larger are from my my TiVo with cable card
Grass seed capital
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1043.JPG
Regular Contributor

Restarted my Roku and that fixed the DRM errors. 

So far everything is looking good. The GUI is pretty snappy. The picture quality on HD channels is good. Streamed one HD channel for about 45 minutes so far with no buffering or hiccups at all. The biggest thing that it is missing for me is the favorite channels option. 

Regular Contributor

I restarted my 3600 and still get errors.

@joenhre08 wrote:

Restarted my Roku and that fixed the DRM errors. 

So far everything is looking good. The GUI is pretty snappy. The picture quality on HD channels is good. Streamed one HD channel for about 45 minutes so far with no buffering or hiccups at all. The biggest thing that it is missing for me is the favorite channels option.