Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I do have 1 active but unused cable box. It is so no frills that they are not charging me for it (at the time of this posting at least). I believe you just need to be an active Xfinity subscriber. I don't think the hardware you have matters.

And yes, this is what I was referring to 

"On conclusion of the trial, you will be informed of the charges that will apply for connecting this device with your XFINITY TV service and will have the opportunity to opt in."

If that will be the case where they charge me ANYTHING extra for using this app I will not use it. I don't need it. I watch my TV shows the day after they air via network APPS on my Roku and I watch live NASCAR through SlingTV also on my Roku. It would just be a really cool extra thing that I can do from my Roku.

Regular Contributor

"To experience XFINITY TV on Roku during the Beta trial, you’ll need an active XFINITY TV or Stream TV account, one primary XFINITY set top box, and XFINITY Internet service with the XFINITY Wireless Gateway."

Okay, the requirement for an Xfinity account is a no-brainer, and the part about the Xfinity gateway has already been addressed.  Is an STB actually required?  If so, those who have only one box would see no advantage by going the Roku route.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Contributor

@Caddyskack wrote:

I just rechecked the release statement and either I missed it before or another statement was added that says:

"During this Beta phase, due to technical limitations, customers using the XFINITY TV Beta app on Roku (other than Stream customers) can only use that app on secondary TV outlets and will need to have at least one Comcast-provided TV box in their home. You do not have to connect the Comcast-provided TV box and Roku to the same TV."

I use a cablecard as well (through a HDHOMERUN). I don't think it is looking good for us.

I am not sure, hopefully someone from Comcast can clear things up. I don't see any techincal limitation that not having a Comcast set top box in the same location could cause. Unless it is a box that acts as a server such as an X1 box. However that's not how it is worded. 

Regular Contributor

@Caddyskack wrote:

Additionally, the release states that there could be an access fee down the line.

"On conclusion of the trial, you will be informed of the charges that will apply for connecting this device with your XFINITY TV service and will have the opportunity to opt in."

I am already wondering if it is reasonable like $2-3 dollars, or is it more expensive ($5+).

If anyone who knows is reading this or can find out from someone who knows, if there's going to be a charge to use the Roku app, I'll bet you already know what it is and should tell us now what it will be and how long the Beta phase is predicted to last. If the app is only going to work with one of my Roku boxes, I'll have to buy more. If there is going to be a charge, from everything I'd been told to this point was there wouldn't be, if it's going to be too high, there's no sense buying any more Rokus and stick to the companion boxes or make the move to FIOS.

Contributor

The Beta Xfinity App for Roku activated for me without any problem.  I have my own cable modem and router. The only Comcast equipment I have is a Cablecard.  I briefly watched a live sports channel and it seemed okay.  I quickly tried to view "The Good Dinosaur" using on demand and was underwhelmed by the video quality (poor resolution), but I really didn't give it enough time to see if it would clear up. 

New Poster

Awesome, thanks for checking this out and reporting back. I am looking forward to trying myself when I get home. If you could field one more question, I would greatly appreciate it:

Is your Roku hooked up through Ethernet or running off of WiFi? I ask because I was going to work on a project this weekend to add ethernet to the guest bedroom. If the streaming quality is fine on Wifi, it is one less thing to worry about.

Thanks,
Cody

Expert
Moved:

Contributor

Just loaded the beta channel onto two devices.  Promising, but there are caveats.  The results appear to depend greatly on the device.  Not all work equally well.

1.  Roku 2 XS.  Although the Roku 2 is part of the beta program, the XS evidently is not.  The channel does not show up.

2.  Roku Streaming Stick (2016).  Seems to work great.  No issues so far.

3.  Roku TV (32" Sharp Model LC-32LB481U).  Very buggy.  App frequently locks up the OS requiring a reboot.  Channels load inconsistently when it does work.  Some channels load fine.  Others lose lip sync after a few seconds.  And not in the mildly annoying way.  Delays of up to 5-10 seconds are common on CNNHD, for example.  Some won't load at all and you either have to exit the app or unplug the set if it locks up.

So, a mixed bag.  But, it is promising given what I'm seeing on my streaming stick.

Frequent Visitor

The Terms of service say there will be a charges after the Beta ends.  What charges are they talking about? 

Regular Contributor

Cable TV used to charge for additional outlets - period.  Equipment fees were a totally separate thing.  This one will probably be only a couple of bux.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

Can anyone confirm which products work with this app? I have a Roku 3, The old Roku Stick (Purple) and the New Roku Stick (Black)

When I installed the app via my computer it told me the Stick wouldn't work which I assume is the purple one since the new black one hasn't been hooked up yet or put on the account. (got it for Christmas and was waiting for this app to come out)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bruce

Official Employee

@BruceDelaney wrote:

Can anyone confirm which products work with this app? I have a Roku 3, The old Roku Stick (Purple) and the New Roku Stick (Black)

When I installed the app via my computer it told me the Stick wouldn't work which I assume is the purple one since the new black one hasn't been hooked up yet or put on the account. (got it for Christmas and was waiting for this app to come out)

Regards,

Bruce

Compatible Roku Devices:

• Roku TV (5XXX, 6XXX: Models within the 5000 and 6000 range)
  • Streaming Stick (3600)
  • Express (3700, 3710)
  • Express+ (3710)
  • Premiere (4620)
  • Premiere+ (4630)
  • Ultra (4640)
  • Roku 4 (4400)
  • Roku 3 (4200, 4230)
  • Roku 2 (4210)

**Note: The XFINITY TV Beta channel will only appear in the channel store for eligible devices.**

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@BruceDelaney wrote:

Regards,

Bruce

From 

XFINITY TV Beta App on Roku FAQs

<https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xfinity-tv-app-on-roku-faqs>

What Roku devices can I use the app with?
Initially, the XFINITY TV Beta app will only be available for use on the following Roku players: Ultra (4640), Premiere (4630), Premiere (4620), Express (3710), Express (3700, 3710), Roku TV (5XXX, 6XXX: Models within the 5000 and 6000 range), Streaming Stick (3600), Roku 4 (4400), Roku 3 (4200, 4230), Roku 2 (4210). The XFINITY TV Beta channel will only appear in the channel store for eligible devices. Devices must be on minimum firmware version 7.5

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Contributor

@Caddyskack wrote:

Awesome, thanks for checking this out and reporting back. I am looking forward to trying myself when I get home. If you could field one more question, I would greatly appreciate it:

Is your Roku hooked up through Ethernet or running off of WiFi? I ask because I was going to work on a project this weekend to add ethernet to the guest bedroom. If the streaming quality is fine on Wifi, it is one less thing to worry about.

Thanks,
Cody

The Roku Express + it's compatible with is using WiFi sitting 3 feet from the router, it works fine for everything else.  I'm stuck using either Express + or the older ones because I need the composite video connector(s)..no HDTVs. Only the 2XS has an Ethernet plug, but as of right now, it's not compatible.

In either case, ethernet is always going to work better.

Regular Contributor

workerdummy wrote: In either case, ethernet is always going to work better.

+1

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@BruceDelaney wrote:

Regards,

Bruce

Compatible Roku Devices:

• Streaming Stick (3600)
  • Express (3700, 3710)
  • Express+ (3710)
  • Premiere (4620)
  • Premiere+ (4630)
  • Ultra (4640)
  • Roku 4 (4400)
  • Roku 3 (4200, 4230)
  • Roku 2 (4210)

**Note: The XFINITY TV Beta channel will only appear in the channel store for eligible devices.**

Great. So it will work on only 1 of the 4 Roku Boxes I own. Tell your developers thanks for nothing.

Regular Visitor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@BruceDelaney wrote:

Regards,

Bruce

Compatible Roku Devices:

• Streaming Stick (3600)
  • Express (3700, 3710)
  • Express+ (3710)
  • Premiere (4620)
  • Premiere+ (4630)
  • Ultra (4640)
  • Roku 4 (4400)
  • Roku 3 (4200, 4230)
  • Roku 2 (4210)

Thanks Dan better late than never.

Thank the developers, very simple to use. 

Frequent Visitor

That is what the Roku channel is supposed to accomplish--allow customers to extend existing service to additional screens at the same service location without having to purchase additional STBs from Comcast.  I doubt Comcast is overly concerned about the lost revenue stream from equipment rentals.  The tide has already turned on that with the ability to buy your own modem, TiVO, etc.

When you accept the terms of service it says there will be charges after the Beta.  I hope the charges are only for people who aren't xfinity cable subscribers.  Im not going to pay for a limited app to replace my cable box when I can just rent a full box, for free its great. Glad to finally see its released.

New Poster

There better not be any extra charge when the beta is up. I was explicitly told by Comcast rep upon signing contract that the only cost to me would be purchase of Roku and is the only reason I switched services. I will switch to another service at end of contract if there are additional fees for this.
New Poster

I just tried it with Xfinity on Campus.  It didn't work.  I was half expecting it not to work because nothing said that it worked for Xfinity on Campus yet..

First, in order to install it on my Roku Stick (3600), connected to the campus network, I had to go to the Roku store on my PC because the Xfinity app didn't appear in the store on the Roku.

From my PC (also on the campus network and using Chrome), I went to http://xfinity.com/authorize and typed in the code on my Roku screen and I got "Access not Authorized

You signed in successfully, but you must be an XFINITY user to enjoy this service."

From my iPhone (also on the campus network and using Safari), I went to the same website, typed in the code and I got to the login prompt, whiere I clicked on the option for Xfinity on Campus.  Then, I selected my University, authenticated and it said "Success! You should see your screen update shortly."  My Roku said "Error.  Something went wrong. Please try again later.  (Error setDeviceProvision.401)."

Regular Contributor

@workerdummy wrote:

@Caddyskack wrote:

Thanks,
Cody

The Roku Express + it's compatible with is using WiFi sitting 3 feet from the router, it works fine for everything else.  I'm stuck using either Express + or the older ones because I need the composite video connector(s)..no HDTVs. Only the 2XS has an Ethernet plug, but as of right now, it's not compatible.

In either case, ethernet is always going to work better.

There are some inexpensive HDMI to composite video/stereo audio converters that do work. I use one with a Roku 3 attached to an old CRT TV. 

I agree 100% that an ethernet connection will always work better than Wi-Fi. People see the advertised speeds of Wi-Fi devices and think they are going to be getting those max speeds on a consistent basis. They don't factor in the higher latency and the many uncontrolable factors that cause interference with WiFi signals. Also most don't factor in that all wireless devices in their home will be sharing that WiFi signal. I see so many complaints of people having streaming issues but they don't want to hear that maybe they should consider moving away from Wi-Fi to a hard wired connection.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Staffers,

Is there any feedback on the cost of fees to be associated whit the Roku app and are we talking 1 fee for Roku Access or fee per roku outlet.

Honestly, since we own the device(s) I can see paying a small monthly fee to have the Roku app available on all roku outlets but beyond that I would venture to say is somewhat unfair. The entire reason this app was introduced to was give people an option to NOT pay rental fees for additional outlets.

~Bruce

Contributor

Eligibility:

• Customers must purchase their own Roku device and device must be on firmware version 7.5
    • Compatible Roku Devices:

What exactly does 5000 and 6000 range for Roku TVs mean?  Do a search for Roku TV on Amazon.  I don't see any models with a 5000 or 6000 range.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=roku+tv

Are any of the Sharp TVs supported?  Mine is model number LC-50LB481U.

EDIT: I found out what this means.  You go to Settings -> System -> About to find this model number.

New Poster

I am attempting to get the app on my insignia Roku TV  5032x is the version.  I do not see the app, I updated the firmware and restarted the Roku TV.  Is my Roku TV not compatible?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

In the Feedback section of the Roku App it said to goto http://forums.xfinity.com/betafeedback and it redirected to this thread for feedback:

Here are a couple suggestions after using the app for about an hour:

1. On the Live TV Guide, have a option to show HD only on the list or auto Tune to HD channel if there is one, like the set top boxes do.
  2. Rememeber last channel when reopening Roku channel, it takes a long time to scroll from channel 2 all the way down to 1000 where the HD's channels are everytime the Roku channel is reopened.
Frequent Visitor

Hey, it's finally out! Thanks devs!

Is there an official feedback channel? I only have two pieces of feedback so far:

1. Adding the standard filters (specifically HD only) would be fantastic.

2. It'd be great to not have fees after the beta.

New Poster

I have the same tv and 2 roku 3's. I was able to add the channel on the roku's  (using this link https://channelstore.roku.com/search/xfinity ) I couldn't find it in the channels on the rokus themselves. When I added the channel it informed me this app is not compatable with one  of your devices and then listed the Insignia TV. If you go into the TV settings under system you will see it is listed as a 5032 which should be in the authozied devie list. But it doesn't work

Regular Contributor

After Roku telling me my Roku 1 wouldn't work with it, I moved the Roku streaming stick to the tv w/o the cable box. I added the app to my channels via my iPad and authorized it after login to my account. Everything is there that I would expect for live tv: under saved I have for you, recordings and scheduled. Next spot over is live tv then on demand, search and settings. It seems fine. The app is running on an old flat screen TV with the streaming stick 3600. 

IMG_1369.JPG
Frequent Visitor

@linenoise01 wrote:

I have the same tv and 2 roku 3's. I was able to add the channel on the roku's  (using this link https://channelstore.roku.com/search/xfinity ) I couldn't find it in the channels on the rokus themselves. When I added the channel it informed me this app is not compatable with one  of your devices and then listed the Insignia TV. If you go into the TV settings under system you will see it is listed as a 5032 which should be in the authozied devie list. But it doesn't work

When adding channels from the Roku.com website to tyour device you sometimes have to select 'update system' on the roku to get the new channel pulled down.  If you install it from the device it will be instant.

New Poster

Thanks, I know ethernet will work better Smiley Happy , I just would rather not have to climb into the attic and drill holes and run cat6 into another bedroom unless necessary. I have a roku 3, so I will try with Wifi first and see if drilling the hole will be necessary

None the less, I appreciate the response.

Cody

Frequent Visitor

App would not activate for me.   Roku3 on hardwired connection, Comcast Business Internet service.   After entering the code on website, the Roku displayed a message saying it would only work if connected to the "xfinitywifi" hotspot and exited.

Wondering if because of the biz Internet service, they expect it to be used on the residential service.   Not going to switch to wifi on the Roku, and I don't use the Comcast routers wifi (use my own access points).

Frequent Visitor

Very excited to here this today but yet another comcast dissapointment. I am not able to use the roku xfinity app unless I'm in my home that has comcast service. Once again you have blocked me from just utilizing the service I pay for in my other home that does not have comcast . If I could get comcast at my second home believe me i would but you are not available at my second home. Please please please make it so I can use the xfinity app with TVs outside of the comcast based home. What's the big deal. I would have never purchased movies from you had I known this would  happen. I used to be able to connect my phone or tablet with a cable to any tv and stream the comcast app. Then you stopped it on the last app version. 

New Poster

Hello, 

" Costumers will need to have at least one Comcast-provided TV box in their home"

Can this be any box provided by comcast? or does it have to be a DVR variant?

Does the cloud based DVR service work even if you have a standard cable box?

Thank you

Silver Problem Solver

@vegaslover wrote:

Very excited to here this today but yet another comcast dissapointment. I am not able to use the roku xfinity app unless I'm in my home that has comcast service. Once again you have blocked me from just utilizing the service I pay for in my other home that does not have comcast . If I could get comcast at my second home believe me i would but you are not available at my second home. Please please please make it so I can use the xfinity app with TVs outside of the comcast based home. What's the big deal. I would have never purchased movies from you had I known this would  happen. I used to be able to connect my phone or tablet with a cable to any tv and stream the comcast app. Then you stopped it on the last app version. 

Comcast service is sold per location. The Roku app is designed to replicate a standard cable box, which means you must have service at that location.

Contributor

The app isn't available for me on my Roku TV.  From the eligibility section it looks like mine should be supported.  When I try to install the channel from the store on the web I get this:

roku2.png

Here's the information from my TV (sorry about the blurry picture - it's what I've got right now):

roku1.png

Shouldn't this be a supported model?

New Poster

Currently not available for the Roku Stick 3500X. I'll update my Roku device if the app comes out of beta and gets good reviews.
Contributor

Thanks. The system update added it after I jnstalled on roku.com

I have a roku express and we only have reugalar hd dvr boxes not x1 on our other tvs. It says I am agreeing to a free beta and charges may be added later. 

Frequent Visitor

I'm so sorry. It seems that I was wrong. I am now reading that although you don't need anything extra for beta testing when they roll this out for real they want you to use their modems and in return use of your Roku will not count towards internet data cap that has been installed within some markets. The app which is free to use from my phone tablet and PC it looks like they might want more money for at least modem rental fees to use their otherwise free app from Roku.

I don't need it that badly. I'm sorry for any confusion that I might have caused.

My best,

-Hermes

Frequent Visitor

@BruceDelaney wrote:

Regards,

Bruce

Hi there.

Mine was successfully installed on the purple stick via the channel store link that I saw in a posting somewhere. So far it seems to work. However there is STILL nothing interesting to watch!

Regular Contributor

I wonder how much this is going to cost when it leaves Beta. 

Contributor

Two things, first what fee are they they talking about? If there's still a fee after the beta you might as well have the box. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Second, is screen size, I can only use standard screen with the app. I tried to change it on my tv but it won't me, will it always be this size?

Still I like it..Thanks at last! 

Official Employee

@telc wrote:

In the Feedback section of the Roku App it said to goto http://forums.xfinity.com/betafeedback and it redirected to this thread for feedback:

Here are a couple suggestions after using the app for about an hour:

1. On the Live TV Guide, have a option to show HD only on the list or auto Tune to HD channel if there is one, like the set top boxes do.
  2. Rememeber last channel when reopening Roku channel, it takes a long time to scroll from channel 2 all the way down to 1000 where the HD's channels are everytime the Roku channel is reopened.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll share it with the team. There are plans to add a feature to auto-tune to HD channels when available in a future release.  Regarding #2, you can hit the "*" key in Live TV and type in the channel number which helps a bit.

Enjoy,

ComcastDan

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Lonniew wrote:

Two things, first what fee are they they talking about? If there's still a fee after the beta you might as well have the box. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Second, is screen size, I can only use standard screen with the app. I tried to change it on my tv but it won't me, will it always be this size?

From what I have read on other sites, it may be treated like a CableCard device. Basically, an outlet fee ($9.95), with a device discount (-$2.50). So cheaper than a full box, but more expensive than a DTA (unless they increase the DTA fee another $2 next year.) It sounds like it will have nearly all the features of a full cable box.

Official Employee

@webminster wrote:

App would not activate for me.   Roku3 on hardwired connection, Comcast Business Internet service.   After entering the code on website, the Roku displayed a message saying it would only work if connected to the "xfinitywifi" hotspot and exited.

Wondering if because of the biz Internet service, they expect it to be used on the residential service.   Not going to switch to wifi on the Roku, and I don't use the Comcast routers wifi (use my own access points).

Yes, the XFINITY Internet and TV service need to be on the same account or it would look to the app like you aren't in-home.  Also for clarity, it isn't the XFINITYWiFi hotspot you'd need to be connected to - that is a public hotspot. It would need to be your actual home XFINITY network (usually the SSID is something like HOME-XXXXX unless changed).

Contributor

Has anyone successfully downloaded this app on a Roku TV yet?

Official Employee

@CableGuyJoe wrote:

Hello, 

" Costumers will need to have at least one Comcast-provided TV box in their home"

Can this be any box provided by comcast? or does it have to be a DVR variant?

Does the cloud based DVR service work even if you have a standard cable box?

Thank you

The Roku app will work with any Comcast-provided TV Box or CableCard in the home. However, Cloud DVR is only available to X1 DVR customers with Cloud services enabled.  Without it, you can still watch all your Live TV and On Demand - just not recordings.

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastDan wrote:

@webminster wrote:

Yes, the XFINITY Internet and TV service need to be on the same account or it would look to the app like you aren't in-home.  Also for clarity, it isn't the XFINITYWiFi hotspot you'd need to be connected to - that is a public hotspot. It would need to be your actual home XFINITY network (usually the SSID is something like HOME-XXXXX unless changed).

And I think it should be clearer, at least for the Beta, it does not have to be WiFi or an Xfinity gateway. I have a Zoom modem, a Linksys router and a Roku 4 connected via Ethernet, and it works. Basically, you must use Comcast Internet service.

Regular Contributor

@andyross wrote:

@Lonniew wrote:

From what I have read on other sites, it may be treated like a CableCard device. Basically, an outlet fee ($9.95), with a device discount (-$2.50). So cheaper than a full box, but more expensive than a DTA (unless they increase the DTA fee another $2 next year.) It sounds like it will have nearly all the features of a full cable box.

If that's the case and they are going to charge $7.45/mo per roku device using the app it definitely isn't worth it to me. I don't even think the $7.45/mo they charge me for the 2nd CableCard is worth it so definitely not worth it on what will most likely be an inferior experience.

Silver Problem Solver

@OTigrao wrote:

Has anyone successfully downloaded this app on a Roku TV yet?

Follow this link to the Roku store and add the channel:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-tv-beta

If it doesn't automatically appear on your device, you may need to go to settings/system/system update and force a check. I had to do that to make it download.

Official Employee

@bampa wrote:

I'm so sorry. It seems that I was wrong. I am now reading that although you don't need anything extra for beta testing when they roll this out for real they want you to use their modems and in return use of your Roku will not count towards internet data cap that has been installed within some markets. The app which is free to use from my phone tablet and PC it looks like they might want more money for at least modem rental fees to use their otherwise free app from Roku.

I don't need it that badly. I'm sorry for any confusion that I might have caused.

My best,

-Hermes

You can use any modem, not just those rented from Comcast. When you are on your home network (your modem or ours), the data streaming to the Roku isn't being delivered over the Internet - it comes over our managed network. Therefore, there is no impact on any data usage plans that may be in effect in your market.  

-ComcastDan