Community Forum

Why is the video in the TV (Android) app so tiny?

New Poster

Why is the video in the TV (Android) app so tiny?

I'm trying to watch a show on AMC. The video has huge black bars on all 4 sides. The show is 16:9, my tablet is also 16:9, but there's a 1-inch border on all 4 sides. Why?

I'm able to watch Netflix and Amazon video on the same device full-screen. I was able to watch full screen on the same device with the old TV Go app as well.

Official Employee

Re: Why is the video in the TV (Android) app so tiny?

clgonsal wrote:

I'm trying to watch a show on AMC. The video has huge black bars on all 4 sides. The show is 16:9, my tablet is also 16:9, but there's a 1-inch border on all 4 sides. Why?

I'm able to watch Netflix and Amazon video on the same device full-screen. I was able to watch full screen on the same device with the old TV Go app as well.

Please select the "High Definition" filter to see the versions of AMC that fill your full screen. 

Expert

adding.. 

when you view an HD recording in an SD 'channel' format you will see the curtain as the smart device is an 'HD' device. This is because the picture is reduced to fit the left and right sides of 4:3 and in a 4:3  it is letterboxed with only curtains on top and bottom. Viewing that same format on a 16:9 that can't zoom causes curtains all around.

The SD content providers are slowly moving toward using the new AFD (a text channel with instructions call metadata) to tell the device how to properly display the content. The effect is that if AFD was 'ON' for that channel the SD version would be presented as 16:9 (original format) but in SD resolution. If you tune to AntennaTV and MeTV you can see two networks already using the AFD and they appear to be HD chans with nearly filled 14:9 screens.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

> Please select the "High Definition" filter

How can I do this? I don't see any "HD" option in the setting or in the playback UI.
Expert

clgonsal wrote:
> Please select the "High Definition" filter

How can I do this? I don't see any "HD" option in the setting or in the playback UI.

The STB has a setting to autotune to HD when available. That means you won't be viwing SD channels IF the same channel is available in HD (example you tune on your TV to 27 but the TV tunes you to 400, the HD version of channel 27. 

If viewing on a smart device there is no such 'setting' but you can filter your results to 'only' see channels that are broadcasting in HD. The term for that is 'filter' and it is a button to 'push' on the device screen after you hit the filters link. On the android it is a huge 'button' on the screen "FILTER". Then touch (hightlight High Definition) HD and then touch the OK menu word. now only HD channels will be displayed.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

Rustyben wrote:
The STB has a setting to autotune to HD when available. That means you won't be viwing SD channels IF the same channel is available in HD (example you tune on your TV to 27 but the TV tunes you to 400, the HD version of channel 27. 

I'm using an Android tablet, not a set-top-box.

If viewing on a smart device there is no such 'setting' but you can filter your results to 'only' see channels that are broadcasting in HD. The term for that is 'filter' and it is a button to 'push' on the device screen after you hit the filters link. On the android it is a huge 'button' on the screen "FILTER". Then touch (hightlight High Definition) HD and then touch the OK menu word. now only HD channels will be displayed.

I don't see the word "filter" or "filters" anywhere in the UI.

I was eventually able to figure out how to get the HD stream, but the app seems to be non-deterministic. Here's what I'm doing:

• go into the Xfinity "TV" app on my Android tablet.
  • click on the magnifying glass in the upper right
  • type "walking dead"
  • tap on "The Walking Dead"
  • tap on "Ep1" under "Season 7"
  • tap "Watch"
  • tap "Resume" or "Start Over"

At this point it gives me a set of choices. Previosly there were only two, "On Demand" and "TV GO", and I tried both. "TV GO" didn't work (I just got a "buffering" screen for several minutes) and "On Demand" gave me the weird double-letterboxed stream. Now there's a third option, also called "On Demand", but this has an "HD" tag underneath, and seems to actually work as expected.

So it's great that I have a solution (as long as the HD On Demand stream doesn't decide to disappear again), but I'm now left with more questions:

• Why does the app give the user all of these options (On Demand, On Demand HD, TV GO)? The old TV Go app didn't ask this question -- it just let me watch the show properly formatted for my display. 
  • What is the difference between "On Demand" and "TV GO"? If giving the user this choice is truly necessary, why use meaningless brand names in place of descriptive names?
  • Why am I getting 3 options now, but earlier only got 2 options for the exact same episode?
  • Why was the TV Go app discontinued in favor of an app that's still very much pre-beta quality?
  • Where is this "filter" option you mentioned?
Official Employee

clgonsal wrote:
Rustyben wrote:

I was eventually able to figure out how to get the HD stream, but the app seems to be non-deterministic. Here's what I'm doing:

• type "walking dead"
  • tap "Watch"

At this point it gives me a set of choices. Previosly there were only two, "On Demand" and "TV GO", and I tried both. "TV GO" didn't work (I just got a "buffering" screen for several minutes) and "On Demand" gave me the weird double-letterboxed stream. Now there's a third option, also called "On Demand", but this has an "HD" tag underneath, and seems to actually work as expected.

So it's great that I have a solution (as long as the HD On Demand stream doesn't decide to disappear again), but I'm now left with more questions:

• Why does the app give the user all of these options (On Demand, On Demand HD, TV GO)? The old TV Go app didn't ask this question -- it just let me watch the show properly formatted for my display. 
  • What is the difference between "On Demand" and "TV GO"? If giving the user this choice is truly necessary, why use meaningless brand names in place of descriptive names?
  • Why am I getting 3 options now, but earlier only got 2 options for the exact same episode?
  • Why was the TV Go app discontinued in favor of an app that's still very much pre-beta quality?

Why does that app give 3 options where the TV Go app only gave one? 

The XFINITY TV app combines the content from TV Go with the content you get from On Demand on your TV (the content rights for these libraries are negotiated separately and not always available so there are differences & gaps). The X1 set-top box has an "Auto-tune to HD" option in settings which the apps and portal have not yet rolled out (as the previous poster noted). 

What is the difference between "On Demand" and "TV Go"?

TV Go content is delivered over the Internet while the "On Demand" is delivered over Comcast's managed network like to video to your TV.  "On Demand" can only be watched when connected to your in-home XFINITY Wi-Fi or hardwired.  TV Go content can be watched anywhere in the USA (or downloaded in some cases to watch anywhere). TV Go content may count against any data usage plans in effect in your market - "On Demand" and the non-TV Go Live TV channels will not.

Why am I getting 3 options now but only had 2 earlier?

Each video is delivered in multiple formats from the programmers and may become available at different times. It is also possible that the Quality Assurance team noted a problem with the "On Demand" HD version and had to request that the programmer resend the file. We typically see "On Demand" HD/SD show up together with the "TV Go" at another time because it comes through a different delivery pipeline.

Why was TV Go discontinued?

The underlying systems for the TV Go app and website were past their useful life and needed to be rebuilt to better integrate with X1 and to accelerate the development of new features.  With the new app customers can watch all the same TV Go content (filter by "Available out of home" to see just TV Go) plus X1 Cloud DVR recordings, purchased TV shows and movies, and every channel that available on their televisions while connected to their home networks (that's about 12,000 separate channels across Comcast's markets).

Where's the HD filter?

Look for the "Filter" button at the top of the "Live TV" or any of the "On Demand" sections (if you don't see it, make sure you've updated to the latest version of the app). This filter will hide any shows, movies or channels that are not available in HD.  You'll still have to select the HD version in the picker for On Demand.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Regards,
ComastDan

Expert

clgonsal wrote:
Rustyben wrote:

• type "walking dead"
  • tap "Watch"

using the xfinity TV app, select the 'menu' icon (looks like a stack of papers or perhaps a hamburger). select all listings. when the listings appear, it is right under the word at the top "all listings" and you touch it to set the filter(s).