Community Forum

Why do downloaded programs require an internet connection to keep playing?

Highlighted
New Poster

Why do downloaded programs require an internet connection to keep playing?

I frequently watch downloaded programs on my phone while car pooling to work.  The internet connection is spotty in places so if I have to pause a program for some reason, if I'm not in a good area when I try to start playing it again it doesn't work until I'm in better coverage.

So what exactly is the point of downloading a program to my phone if I need an internet connection to properly watch it in the first place???  

As long as I've managed to get a program started it'll keep playing regardless of where I am, but the minute I have to pause it, it can take forever to start up again.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Why do downloaded programs require an internet connection to keep playing?

Hello, syclone98! Welcome to the Xfinity Forums. 

I'm glad you reached out to us with this concern. 

The best way to remedy this issue is to disable your wifi when your traveling and are trying to watch a pre-downloaded show. This will prevent the app from trying to reach out for a connection first and will instead just resume where you left off. 

Please give this a try and let us know if it helps or if you need further assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks, I'll try it tonight.

Highlighted
Official Employee

You're welcome! We look forward to your update!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

It didn't work completely flawlessly but I'm not going to complain. 

While resuming or starting programs in a bad area does work much better, the program did still occasionally hang.  Fortunately though I was able to get around this little hiccup by closing and restarting the app.

Thanks again,

Christopher

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Thanks for keeping us updated, syclone98! Please let us know if you run into any other issues, we're happy to help. Enjoy your weekend.