Community Forum

When will Xfinity Stream come to LG Smart TV's?

New Poster

When will Xfinity Stream come to LG Smart TV's?

I had read that Xfinity Stream was planned to be on the 2017 and 2018 models of LG's Smart TV's yet the Xfinity Stream app still does not appear in the LG Content Store. I am wondering if there is any new information on this?

When I reached out to LG's support, they said that all requests need to be directed to Comcast/Xfinity as they are the sole developer of the Xfinity Stream application.

Thank you very much!

Expert

Re: When will Xfinity Stream come to LG Smart TV's?

@Aanders50 wrote:

I had read that Xfinity Stream was planned to be on the 2017 and 2018 models of LG's Smart TV's yet the Xfinity Stream app still does not appear in the LG Content Store. I am wondering if there is any new information on this?

When I reached out to LG's support, they said that all requests need to be directed to Comcast/Xfinity as they are the sole developer of the Xfinity Stream application.

Thank you very much!

https://www.fastcompany.com/90205212/comcast-is-totally-ok-with-you-not-having-an-xfinity-set-top-bo...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

It's getting close to the end of 2018 and there hasn't been any indication that it's coming soon.  An update would be nice.

Expert

@nhch2002 wrote:

It's getting close to the end of 2018 and there hasn't been any indication that it's coming soon.  An update would be nice.

please click on the link in the post just above your post.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

The post above stated by the end of 2018. With just December between now and 2019, I'd say it's the end of 2018. I haven't seen any advertising for this, so I'm guessing it's not going to happen this year!
Expert

@Herc758 wrote:
The post above stated by the end of 2018. With just December between now and 2019, I'd say it's the end of 2018. I haven't seen any advertising for this, so I'm guessing it's not going to happen this year!

maybe it will be a Christmas or New years surprise. They haven't announced availability for the LG yet.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Herc758 wrote:

maybe it will be a Christmas or New years surprise. They haven't announced availability for the LG yet.

Actually if I'm not mistaken something of the kind was announced way back in 2017.

See this link, for instance: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/25/16362846/lg-smart-tv-comcast-cable-xfinity-tv-part....

Frequent Visitor

@Tzadi wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Herc758 wrote:

Actually if I'm not mistaken something of the kind was announced way back in 2017.

See this link, for instance: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/25/16362846/lg-smart-tv-comcast-cable-xfinity-tv-part....

Also see this link which the above link itself cites: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170925005707/en/Comcast-LG-Partner-Provide-Xfinity-Customer...

But 2018 is almost bye bye.

New Poster

I started calling Comcast every couple of weeks and asking the same question. “When will we see the Xfinity Streamng App on a LG TV?”  I then ask the representative to send this question to their manager.  

New Poster

Anyone have an update on this? I was told about this as a way to lower my cable bill so I'm anxious to try it out.

New Poster

It's now Sunday December 30, 2018. It looks like Xfinity has let us LG Smart TV users down. Press releases and news stories of false hopes and no update. 2018 seems to have come and gone. Off course they do have about 36 hours to make good on their commitment and prove me wrong.
Regular Visitor

Its now Jan 1 2019 and all in the LG WebOS store not even a new app was stiring... All was quite... Like a deserted ski town in the summer. 

I would also like to see the xfinity stream app for Apple TV 4k as well. I have apple tv and like it best but have to have the roku streaming stick + just for this stream app. I just wish that they would just inform us of the status and say we are working on it and should have more info on such and such date

Expert

@dzuchowski wrote:

Its now Jan 1 2019 and all in the LG WebOS store not even a new app was stiring... All was quite... Like a deserted ski town in the summer. 

I would also like to see the xfinity stream app for Apple TV 4k as well. I have apple tv and like it best but have to have the roku streaming stick + just for this stream app. I just wish that they would just inform us of the status and say we are working on it and should have more info on such and such date

the only forum announcement to date was the Samsung TV and the Roku. There was a magazine article but seems like the estimated date wasn't met.

New Poster

I wish Comcast/Xfinity would give us an update on this. Stop hiding and give us a meaningful update on the issue. Bad news doesn’t get better with age!
New Poster

So I have to buy another device to get my Xfinity Stream? After buying into Comcast's hype about what a good deal Xfinity Stream this would be for my wifi bill, ehci ic really the only thing I wanted, and eventually getting annoyed that I could only watch it via my Mac laptop screen after logging in via the web, or with my iPhone using an app, I finally broke down and bought a TV.

This was was the best looking TV in my price range and size range.

It's an LG TV.

Then I bought AppleTV 4k, thinking it would help, since much of my content is on itunes.  Great for iTunes content. Still no help for Xfinity Stream.

And now I need another device (Roku?) to get Xfinity Stream. Xfinity Stream is truly the only reason I bought a TV in the first place.

It's now Jan 2, 2019, and customer service didn't help me at all. Didn't even tell me I needed another stupid device, just Google Play or the App Store or Amazon. (And no, one can't get those on the LG TV, either. One can only get the apps that puchase and stream video, not the ones that are the apps themselves.)

Grrrr!

Frequent Visitor

Yea,I agree
I just spent 2700.00 on a 65in oled
And I gotta wait till whenever they get around to releasing it
Expert

@bigcid10 wrote:
Yea,I agree
I just spent 2700.00 on a 65in oled
And I gotta wait till whenever they get around to releasing it

the currently free Roku (device) Xfinity Stream channel is available. The date for TV brands other than Samsung to have the stream TV app available is still unknown and not announced.

Frequent Visitor

I have a roku ultra now
But I want to use the app on my TV as intended.
There has to some other reason other than marketing extortion that is keeping them from putting it into the LG system
New Poster

Any updates on this? Would be nice to know if this app was canceled.
Regular Visitor

It will never happen as xfinity announced that their new streaming app since buying Sky broadcasting will not be on Apple TV. This I do not think the new app will even be on Roku I think they will build their own converter box much like direct tv is metering on direct tv now
New Poster

Lame comcast, still now xfinity app for LG, it's Feb-2019 already

New Poster

On Feb 4, 2019, Comcast released a statement which included that the Xfinity Stream app for "LG and Sony smart TVs" is coming "soon".

Comcast Statement on Xfinity TV and Streaming Devices

Better late than never I guess.

Regular Visitor

Ok so that announced the app will be available soon. Please define soon as it was to be last year and now it’s a year and half later and no app. What gives. I don’t think they want the app on lg unless they agree lg agrees to Comcast’s extortion terms.
Highlighted
New Poster

I called LG and Xfinity today and got pretty much the same answer from both...supposedly it is available in the LG content store if your TV is a 4K Ultra HD model with webOS. If you're like me and you bought an LG TV with the webOS operating system that is not 4K Ultra HD, then you will have to wait for Xfinity to send LG the update. God only knows when that will actually be, given my experience with Xfinity, but the man at LG told me that they were expecting this update by the end of the first quarter of 2019. So if we don't see it by the end of April 2019 we shouldn't hold our breath any longer. In the meantime would it be asking too much for somebody at Xfinity to actually confirm this for us!? These forums tend to be a joke like the rest of their customer service avenues! Anyway... It seems like this is the most we are going to know for now.
Expert

@SickOfYouPeople wrote:
I called LG and Xfinity today and got pretty much the same answer from both...supposedly it is available in the LG content store if your TV is a 4K Ultra HD model with webOS. If you're like me and you bought an LG TV with the webOS operating system that is not 4K Ultra HD, then you will have to wait for Xfinity to send LG the update. God only knows when that will actually be, given my experience with Xfinity, but the man at LG told me that they were expecting this update by the end of the first quarter of 2019. So if we don't see it by the end of April 2019 we shouldn't hold our breath any longer. In the meantime would it be asking too much for somebody at Xfinity to actually confirm this for us!? These forums tend to be a joke like the rest of their customer service avenues! Anyway... It seems like this is the most we are going to know for now.

comcast never pre-announces a date in the future. They usually do a press announcement a day or two before for the media. the roku is available right now if you want to check it out. very inexpensive models at walmart. 

Frequent Visitor

I have a lg 65in c8 UHD and I check every day and as of 02/09/19
It's not listed on the lg content store
Frequent Visitor

We don't care about roku's
The topic was " when will xfinity stream come to the lg tv's"
Regular Visitor

I also say what about it in the most excellent Apple TV 4K devices. Who cares about the slow Roku. The Apple TV 4K is so much faster and all
New Poster

I wish I knew what “soon” meant to Comcast
Contributor

i have a smaller LG Web OS TV (probably not Ultra 4K) - no Xfinity Stream, although that is the one where I really need it as it is portable ///  I also have a 65in Ultra 4K LG OS ... no Xfinity Stream   ..................    we have clearly been fed a line ....   this would be OK if they did not deliberately block tablets from streaming to the LG Web OS TVs .. but they do that too. 

@SickOfYouPeople wrote:

Expert

@Anon1003785 wrote:

i have a smaller LG Web OS TV (probably not Ultra 4K) - no Xfinity Stream, although that is the one where I really need it as it is portable ///  I also have a 65in Ultra 4K LG OS ... no Xfinity Stream   ..................    we have clearly been fed a line ....   this would be OK if they did not deliberately block tablets from streaming to the LG Web OS TVs .. but they do that too. 

@SickOfYouPeople wrote:

currently roku is free to use with the Xfinity Stream Beta app. I know it isn't what you actually want. 

Regular Visitor

Stop it with the Roku posts already. Every time you mention Roku, all you’re doing is going off subject.

Also, Roku is NOT free. The Xfinity app is, but Roku itself is not, which is the entire reason this thread is about us LG owners inquiring about webOS support.
New Poster

It’s mid-April still no app.. I doubt there would be one this year..
Regular Visitor

I’ve pretty much given up hope. Comcast = failed promises.
Contributor

Just saw the latest updates for both webOS tvs .... installed them hoping a streaming app would show up .... guess not ..... doubt they will releaze anything until they figure out how to charge you more money
New Poster

No only that the Xfinity App is not available for LG Smart TVs but I've just installed the Showtime Anytime App and attempted to activate it on my 65" LG C8 TV, guess what, I can't. The error message received is "This device/platform is not supported by your provider!".

So Comcast is not allowing me to see Showtime content on my LG TV even with a valid WebOS App installed. It's not like I'm asking them to provide Xfinity Stream App, I want to use my Showtime subscription that I'm paying for on my +$2000 TV.

Shame on you Comcast/Xfinity, I won't buy a Smasung TV just because you are too lazy to work something with LG and Sony, it should be illegal for you to provide online streaming services to only a few vendors/solutions. This calls for a Class Action suit!

New Poster

Currently late May of 2019 and no Xfinity Stream app on my OLED LG tv. The reason I bought this tv hearing was because I heard great things about the picture, but the interface is garbage and the app support is really lacking. They also play ads that you can’t remove on the main menus. Wish I bought a Samsung now. I really want xfinity stream app on my tv
Regular Visitor

I really do not think that Xfinity, LG or Sony (they where stated to get it also) will ever get this app. I think that Xfinity wants people to lease the new $5 box for cord cutters called Xfinity Flex streaming box.  https://www.geekwire.com/2019/sorry-comcast-new-xfinity-flex-streaming-box-wont-get-uncut-cable-cord... 

Expert

@dzuchowski wrote:

I really do not think that Xfinity, LG or Sony (they where stated to get it also) will ever get this app. I think that Xfinity wants people to lease the new $5 box for cord cutters called Xfinity Flex streaming box.  https://www.geekwire.com/2019/sorry-comcast-new-xfinity-flex-streaming-box-wont-get-uncut-cable-cord... 

posting about what you think is the future? the now is use a Roku (inexpensive and use is currently free of charge).

Regular Visitor

Well yes this is what i think of the issue. Lets face facts its all about business. If Comcast can charge users $5 or so for a streaming box that they control and the user can not app apps to like on the Roku, Apple TV, Firestick, etc. then what ensentive does Xfinity have to roll the app out to other stream platforms that they do not control. Lets face it i think the app ecosystem over the next few years will shrink. Look at Hulu now being owned and controlled by ABC tv. In the next few years Hulu maynot even have shows from other networks such as NBC. It may only have mickey mouse on it... All the producers and creators of content want to have their productions on their platforms since they then would control the content and then also make all the money on it...

aaaaaalll-righty-then-alrighty-meme.jpg

Contributor

just looking to use the existing app with the content we already pay for, on the device we bought and were told would support this

Not interested in playing games with a "xfinity" device piggybacking the TV, to then be able to provide the content we already get through and existing app with content already paid for

either allow LG to support my content, or allow devices to cast to the LG device .. you know, devices like the Galaxy tab I already bought, pay for service on, and loaded the xfinity app to to watch content I already paid for, through the app I already use

good grief ... 

Regular Visitor

Oh be quiet with Roku. We don’t want a Roku.
New Poster

@ronin2211 wrote:

No only that the Xfinity App is not available for LG Smart TVs but I've just installed the Showtime Anytime App and attempted to activate it on my 65" LG C8 TV, guess what, I can't. The error message received is "This device/platform is not supported by your provider!".

So Comcast is not allowing me to see Showtime content on my LG TV even with a valid WebOS App installed. It's not like I'm asking them to provide Xfinity Stream App, I want to use my Showtime subscription that I'm paying for on my +$2000 TV.

Shame on you Comcast/Xfinity, I won't buy a Smasung TV just because you are too lazy to work something with LG and Sony, it should be illegal for you to provide online streaming services to only a few vendors/solutions. This calls for a Class Action suit!

So funny when someone with a petty quibble gets all up in arms and talks about a class action suit.  Where is the grevious harm that you have suffered and what makes you think others are also concerned about this trivial nonsense?  What don’t you pay out of your pocket for legal fees to file your own lawsuit?

New Poster

I'm waiting on this too. I have checked this thread since it started but if anyone is listening, I want this app on my TV. I don't want another device clogging an HDMI port when an app was promised and I made expensive purchases believing that I was being told the truth.
Official Employee

Hi All! 

I know everyone is anticipating the XFINITY Stream Beta app on LG and Sony TVs. I am too! 

We expect to launch the Xfinity Stream app beta on LG and Sony by the end of the year. More details will be available at launch.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Well it’s about time. Thanks for the update Ken. A little communication goes a long way.