Community Forum

Unable to log in

Contributor

Unable to log in

I'm unable to log into the TV app. All it says is "Something went wrong." above where you enter the info. I was having a problem earlier with a certain website and tried changing my IP address to see if that would help. Then I was in a certain room of the house with no TV's and didn't want to miss the beginning of the game so I tried using the app to watch the FOX network but received some message about not being on my home network. I logged out and that was it. Haven't been able to log back in since. I changed the MAC address on my router back to what it was before this to get the IP address back and still haven't been able to log in. I tried uninstalling, restarting my iPad, and reinstalling the app. Still can't log in. I'm guessing I messed something up with the app being able to detect my home network by changing my IP address. Is there a way to reset how the app and web sites detect my home network?

Edit: I just read in another thread something about an internal tool to "deprovision" my mobile devices and PC's. Can somebody do this? I'm thinking changing my IP address only caused the error while I was logged in. I think logging out caused the problem and it's trying to add the iPad to my account which is already added. Shouldn't cause this problem just from logging out. That means you can never log out?

image.jpg

Official Employee

Re: Unable to log in

alex179 wrote:

I'm unable to log into the TV app. All it says is "Something went wrong." above where you enter the info. I was having a problem earlier with a certain website and tried changing my IP address to see if that would help. Then I was in a certain room of the house with no TV's and didn't want to miss the beginning of the game so I tried using the app to watch the FOX network but received some message about not being on my home network. I logged out and that was it. Haven't been able to log back in since. I changed the MAC address on my router back to what it was before this to get the IP address back and still haven't been able to log in. I tried uninstalling, restarting my iPad, and reinstalling the app. Still can't log in. I'm guessing I messed something up with the app being able to detect my home network by changing my IP address. Is there a way to reset how the app and web sites detect my home network?

Edit: I just read in another thread something about an internal tool to "deprovision" my mobile devices and PC's. Can somebody do this? I'm thinking changing my IP address only caused the error while I was logged in. I think logging out caused the problem and it's trying to add the iPad to my account which is already added. Shouldn't cause this problem just from logging out. That means you can never log out?

I'm sorry you're having trouble. A few things:

• There's no requirement that you be on your home network to sign into the apps or website. You should be able to do that from anywhere. Only certain content may be limited for playback.
  • You may want to do a factory refresh on your modem - I'm not familiar with all the bad things that can happen by switching MAC addresses but imagine there could be a DNS mismatch or something.
  • I've deprovisioned your devices. You only had 2 PC devices showing, no mobile devices
  • Try including "comcast.net" at the end of your username when signing in. It shouldn't matter but couldn't hurt.

-ComcastDan

Contributor

I had already tried logging in with both the username and full email address. Neither worked. The option to factory reset the modem was removed from the browser based GUI due to some security issue last year. It's a SB6183. So that's not an option. I tried restarting the modem through the Xfinity Internet Support Tool and that doesn't actually restart the modem. It does nothing. I tried rebooting the modem by unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in. That didn't help. I was afraid this would be some unfixable glitch. I am able to use the app and log in no problem on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 but that's an older and much slower device I'd rather not use.

Official Employee

alex179 wrote:

I had already tried logging in with both the username and full email address. Neither worked. The option to factory reset the modem was removed from the browser based GUI due to some security issue last year. It's a SB6183. So that's not an option. I tried restarting the modem through the Xfinity Internet Support Tool and that doesn't actually restart the modem. It does nothing. I tried rebooting the modem by unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in. That didn't help. I was afraid this would be some unfixable glitch. I am able to use the app and log in no problem on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 but that's an older and much slower device I'd rather not use.

Are you able to sign into the XFINITY TV app from any other WiFi network?  Once you are in, you are in.  No need to sign out.

Also, is that the latest version of the XFINITY TV app?  Current version is 3.11 (requires iOS 9+). Older versions may no longer work properly.

Contributor

My iPad is not updated to the latest version of iOS and I don't want to update it. Before yesterday I was able to download an older version of the app since I already downloaded it on my PC through iTunes and it was working. I updated an iPhone 5 I wasn't using and I was able to log into the app. It did open Safari though and made me log into my Xfinity account through the browser. It's not doing that on the iPad. I'll just assume I can't use the app anymore on my iPad and I'll use it on my Galaxy Tab 3. I really don't think it's because I'm not installing the latest version of the app. The older version was working fine before I logged out.

Official Employee

alex179 wrote:

My iPad is not updated to the latest version of iOS and I don't want to update it. Before yesterday I was able to download an older version of the app since I already downloaded it on my PC through iTunes and it was working. I updated an iPhone 5 I wasn't using and I was able to log into the app. It did open Safari though and made me log into my Xfinity account through the browser. It's not doing that on the iPad. I'll just assume I can't use the app anymore on my iPad and I'll use it on my Galaxy Tab 3. I really don't think it's because I'm not installing the latest version of the app. The older version was working fine before I logged out.

Ah, yes. That's the problem then. The method of signing into the app was made more secure several versions ago. It now uses something called "Safari View Controller" which is only available in iOS 9+. 

Please see the system requirements here:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xfinity-tv-app-requirements/

-ComcastDan