Community Forum

Too Many Ads on Xfinity Stream App

New Poster

Too Many Ads on Xfinity Stream App

This is absurd, we pay a large sum of money each month to Comcast, and so do millions of others. Yet for some reason, we still have to deal with an abundance of annoying and endless advertisements. I get the advertisements when watching cable directly, but the Stream app is a close equivalent to Netflix/Hulu which both of have No Advertisement options, much cheaper than anything Comcast offers.

I know me ranting on a forum isn't going to change anything, but I just wanted to vent out some frustration and see if anyone else feels the same way. 

Expert

Re: Too Many Ads on Xfinity Stream App

@Jurist_MD wrote:

This is absurd, we pay a large sum of money each month to Comcast, and so do millions of others. Yet for some reason, we still have to deal with an abundance of annoying and endless advertisements. I get the advertisements when watching cable directly, but the Stream app is a close equivalent to Netflix/Hulu which both of have No Advertisement options, much cheaper than anything Comcast offers.

I know me ranting on a forum isn't going to change anything, but I just wanted to vent out some frustration and see if anyone else feels the same way. 

you posted in the streaming app area, are you speaking of on-demand programs that are sponsored by advertisements?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Its 50 percent commercials.
Waste of time if you want to watch on a iPad etc.
Expert

@NAVYEAGLE123 wrote:
Its 50 percent commercials.
Waste of time if you want to watch on a iPad etc.

the stream app (numbered aka linear channels) are the same programming as the set top box. you can fast forward through commercials with DVR service.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

when watching on demnad shows on xfinity.com/stream 

theres way to many commercials makes me wannna cancel comcast and just get hulu to watch this show 

Expert

@gigantj wrote:

theres way to many commercials makes me wannna cancel comcast and just get hulu to watch this show 

the networks allow the program availability to make money by showing those commercials.  If you would like to skip commercials you can use a DVR to record the programs when they are shown then watch at your convenience. 

New Poster

Totally agreed. Just sat through 8 Bud Light spots. Ridiculous.
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@gigantj wrote:

the networks allow the program availability to make money by showing those commercials.  If you would like to skip commercials you can use a DVR to record the programs when they are shown then watch at your convenience. 

Actually you can't watch most of what's on your DVR if you like sports and new shows, unless you are on your home network.   Which makes xfinity stream useless to me.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@gigantj wrote:

Actually you can't watch most of what's on your DVR if you like sports and new shows, unless you are on your home network.   Which makes xfinity stream useless to me.

you can still watch any completed recording on your cloud DVR anywhere inside the USA. why do you feel new shows and sports recordings do not play outside of the home? 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@gigantj wrote:

you can still watch any completed recording on your cloud DVR anywhere inside the USA. why do you feel new shows and sports recordings do not play outside of the home? 

Absolutely false.   The majority of content on my DVR will not play outside of my home (a place where I would only play it on my DVR).   I could be wrong on the timing, but I believe around the same time they took away the ability to set recordings from the app, they also restricted a lot of content outside the home network due to rights issues.

I was out of town just last week and tried to watch SJ Sharks games and could not, so I browsed around my other DVR recordings and no sports and none of my new major network content was accessible.

(And they continue the current stream app advertising campaign without mentioning any restrictions, completely false advertising)

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@gigantj wrote:

Absolutely false.   The majority of content on my DVR will not play outside of my home (a place where I would only play it on my DVR).   I could be wrong on the timing, but I believe around the same time they took away the ability to set recordings from the app, they also restricted a lot of content outside the home network due to rights issues.

I was out of town just last week and tried to watch SJ Sharks games and could not, so I browsed around my other DVR recordings and no sports and none of my new major network content was accessible.

there is no restriction on playback of a DVR cloud recording. do you have a screen capture of the screen where the playback fails?

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@gigantj wrote:

there is no restriction on playback of a DVR cloud recording. do you have a screen capture of the screen where the playback fails?

Well, that's weird then.   It didn't fail, the Watch option was grayed out and was not selectable and it said something about needing to be on the home wifi to watch that programming.  I'll have to try it again when I'm away from home on another network.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@gigantj wrote:

Well, that's weird then.   It didn't fail, the Watch option was grayed out and was not selectable and it said something about needing to be on the home wifi to watch that programming.  I'll have to try it again when I'm away from home on another network.

when not on your home wifi you can not look at recordings in progress, only when the recording has ended.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@gigantj wrote:

when not on your home wifi you can not look at recordings in progress, only when the recording has ended.

I'll try again.   It's possible some of the recordings I tried were still in progress, but not all, so there must have been something else going on.