Community Forum

TV to Go app still not working on my smart phone.

Regular Visitor

TV to Go app still not working on my smart phone.

Have called twice: supposed to have been corrected (?) in 24 to 48 hours. Still cannot get it. Works on my wife's just fine.  When I called 2 days ago, whoever I talked to said that he was resetting something. Right after that, wife's quit working. Now today, her's is working again and mine still isn't. Comes up on screen that it can only be viewed on a mobile device. A smart phone IS a mobile device.

Expert

Re: TV to Go app still not working on my smart phone.

autodctr wrote:

Have called twice: supposed to have been corrected (?) in 24 to 48 hours. Still cannot get it. Works on my wife's just fine.  When I called 2 days ago, whoever I talked to said that he was resetting something. Right after that, wife's quit working. Now today, her's is working again and mine still isn't. Comes up on screen that it can only be viewed on a mobile device. A smart phone IS a mobile device.

the Xfinity TVgo app has been retired. Are you speaking of the Xfinity TV app? If so, do you have the X1 Entertainment system or the older legacy Xfinity system?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Regular Visitor

Yes: Xfinity TV app.  I have X1.

Expert

autodctr wrote:

Yes: Xfinity TV app.  I have X1.

were you able to get into the web site on a desk/laptop computer? or any smart device using the Xfinity TV app?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Highlighted
Official Employee

autodctr wrote:

Please turn off screen mirroring or disconnnect the HDMI output cable on your device and it will resolve your issues. Due to contractual restrictions from programmers, playback on external displays is not allowed from your mobile device. 

Regular Visitor

There is no HDMI cable. There is no option for screen mirroring. This is a flip phone/smart phone. 2 weeks old. Model Z353VL running Android 5.1.1

Regular Visitor

were you able to get into the web site on a desk/laptop computer? or any smart device using the Xfinity TV app?

My wife's smart phone connects just fine. I cannot get onto the app with my smart phone or any of my laptops. Evidently, Xfinity does not support Linux operating system.  If anyone has managed to get it to work w/Linux, I would love to know how they did it. However, my smart phone is running Android and it is suppo0sed to work on that!
Regular Visitor

Just tried it again. No cords hookied up: not even power cord. Still says it can only be watched on a mobile device. I am on a mobile device.

Expert

autodctr wrote:

Just tried it again. No cords hookied up: not even power cord. Still says it can only be watched on a mobile device. I am on a mobile device.

did you try turning off bluetoth? what is the mobile device? 

Regular Visitor

did you try turning off bluetoth? what is the mobile device? 

Just turned off the bluetooth and tried it: same thing. It is a smart phone: a ZTE Cymbal T running Android 5.1.1.

Official Employee

autodctr wrote:

There is no HDMI cable. There is no option for screen mirroring. This is a flip phone/smart phone. 2 weeks old. Model Z353VL running Android 5.1.1

I'm sorry but I think I may have figured out your issue and you're not going to like it. Since your device is a flip phone, the display is "external" (in a sense, because of the hinge). I'm not certain but it makes sense as I think about it.

There is some code/logic built into the Android operating system that tells the app if there is or isn't an external display. My suspicion is that, because your phone's monitor is connected to the phone via the hinge/flip, Android is telling the app that it is external. Is the screen a touch screen or does all control happen on the lower, phone part of the device?

I can reach out to our developers and see if there is anything that can be done of if testing on this type of device has been done.

Edit:  We looked up your device's specs online and it does appear to have an external display (see below). I'm afraid this tiny little screen may be the source of your troubles. Since this is a core security feature of the app and the info is coming from your operating system, there may be no way around it.  Perhaps there is somewhere in the phone settings to turn off this display?

Display
External Display 0.96-inch
External Display Resolution 128 x 64 px
Display Resolution 480 x 320 px
Display size 3.5 inches
Display's superficy 5.65 square inches
Display's superficy (metric) 143.51 square mm
Display dots per inch 164.95 DPI

-ComcastDan

Regular Visitor

Display

My 0.96", 128 x 64 pixel screen is the reason I cannot get TV on it? Really? You've got to be kidding me. I can barely read the time on it let alone watch TV on it.

Official Employee

autodctr wrote:

Display

My 0.96", 128 x 64 pixel screen is the reason I cannot get TV on it? Really? You've got to be kidding me. I can barely read the time on it let alone watch TV on it.

This isn't something that's in Comcast's control. If you phone tells your operating system that it is using an external display, then the security mechanisms kick in. This is typically used to prevent connecting the phone to a recording device or large, external display. I'm not sure Google contemplated this scenario when they developed the Android OS. 

I just read through the user manual for your phone but didn't see an option to disable the external display. Perhaps you can contact TracPhone as they may have an undocumented method to do this.

-ComcastDan

Regular Visitor

So, because of my itsy-bitsy screen that only displays the time, I cannot get TV on it. And, since I run Linux on my computers, I cannot get it on there either. That's wonderful. And worthless.

Thanks for your time, Dan. I really do appreciate that. At least I have an answer now.

One last thing if you don't mind. Tell the white shirts that they need to get it to work on Linux. Linux is not some weird operating system: your own servers use it. And so do millions of individuals at home.

Official Employee

autodctr wrote:

So, because of my itsy-bitsy screen that only displays the time, I cannot get TV on it. And, since I run Linux on my computers, I cannot get it on there either. That's wonderful. And worthless.

Thanks for your time, Dan. I really do appreciate that. At least I have an answer now.

One last thing if you don't mind. Tell the white shirts that they need to get it to work on Linux. Linux is not some weird operating system: your own servers use it. And so do millions of individuals at home.

I'm really sorry and appreciate your feedback about Linux. I'll share it with the technical team. Linux is 2% of the market, so pretty small, but every customer matters. 

I have no idea if this will work but someone on the forum below was able to get the website to work on his version of Linux using "playonlinux" (see last comment on the thread):

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/xfinity-tv-stuck-at-adding-device/14270

Regular Visitor

I have no idea if this will work but someone on the forum below was able to get the website to work on his version of Linux using "playonlinux" (see last comment on the thread):

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/xfinity-tv-stuck-at-adding-device/14270

I know. And, *I* got it to work in a way similar to that yesterday.  Understand though that it is an immense amount of work and several programs to download, install, and (worst) to set up. If you are a casual user, you will never get it to work. I have been using Linux for 10 years and am very comfortable using the command line. It took me nearly 1 1/2 hours to get it to work on the one machine. The average PC user (be it Mac, Windows, or Linux) would not have a clue where to start.

Even with it working on a laptop, I still cannot get all the channels when I am out of the house like I would / should be able to get on my smart phone.

Regular Visitor

For a litle clearer (at least in my opinion), here is my post to the forums yesterday on how to get it working.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2348795&highlight=xfinity

However, as simple as it sounds, there is still a considerable amount of knowledge that you need to do this: nothing goes as smoothly as it sounds. And, it assumes that you know what WINE, Play On Liux, and Firefox is and how they all operate.