Community Forum

TV Remote app getting useless

Silver Problem Solver

TV Remote app getting useless

For the past few weeks, the TV Remote app 3.5.4.003 on Android is mostly useless. Trying to get details on a show in the guide just gives an error. Same with trying to see scheduled recordings. I have a legacy (non-X1) DVR.  The completed recordings list works, although with the typical 12-hour lag as it's only synchronized twice a day with my DVR. I can also change the channel when I click on the channel number. I have done the typical things of clearing the app's data, uninstall/reinstall, log out/in, etc...

Is this app still supported? Does it essentially require X1 now?

Screenshot_20180911-101445.pngScreenshot_20180911-101431.png

Official Employee

Re: TV Remote app getting useless

Hello andyross.

The Xfinity TV Remote app has not been discontinued at this time. Do you happen to have any other devices you can try and download the app on to see if its just an issue with the one device you are using or not?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@andyross wrote:

For the past few weeks, the TV Remote app 3.5.4.003 on Android is mostly useless. Trying to get details on a show in the guide just gives an error. Same with trying to see scheduled recordings. I have a legacy (non-X1) DVR.  The completed recordings list works, although with the typical 12-hour lag as it's only synchronized twice a day with my DVR. I can also change the channel when I click on the channel number. I have done the typical things of clearing the app's data, uninstall/reinstall, log out/in, etc...

Is this app still supported? Does it essentially require X1 now?

same version on my android has nothing for aerial text. try using 'big bang' and see if you get a reply. are you connected via wifi or cell?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

andyross,

I'm having the exact same issue with my Android and the Remote app - same error msgs and all. Just started happening this week. I also have a legacy (non-X1) system.

Cleared cache but haven't uninstalled/reinstalled. Glad I didn't because obviously that doesn't fix the problem.

Official Employee

Hello, g-hodgson!

Do you get errors trying to look at the details of any show, or is it just some? Can you also tell me if you have tried this app on any other devices and if you are using cell data or wifi?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Hi Tambrey,

I tried viewing the details of a dozen shows up and down the dial, and all get the same error. I only have my cell phone - so no, I can't try another device. The errors occur on both wifi and cell data. And like andyross, I get the same error msg when trying to view upcoming recordings. 

Hope this helps you all figure out the issue!

g-hodgson

Official Employee

Thanks for the update g-hodgson! Can you please try going into the settings on the app and make sure the "default DVR" is set to the correct one? I did some testing here on my end and one of my devices was having the same error but after I toggled the device it was set to, that error went away. Let me know if that works for you.

Regular Contributor

Tambrey,

This is a legacy, non-X1 DVR, and I only have one. There is no other device to toggle to, so the Selected and Default DVR are the same. I can successfully send a test to the DVR and change stations via the app.

Just for fun, I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Same problems.

Silver Problem Solver

This is not the first time it has happened. It has intermittently worked for a few weeks, then not for a few weeks. It's been that way since it was released.

Official Employee

Thanks for taking the time to check those things. Another option would be to create a new username even if it is just temporary and try logging into the app with that one to see if it works. You can find the option on My.xfinity.com >My Account > users. 

Regular Contributor

Tambrey,

I signed into the app using my wife's Comcast username. Same problem.
Regular Contributor

Update:

As I mentioned earlier today, I logged into the app on my Android phone using my wife's Comcast username. Same problems.

This morning I was able to download the Apple Xfinity Remote app to my daughter's iPad (app version 3.8.1.232).  Using the iPad, I am able to view channel details, change channels and view My Recordings. However, when attempting to view Upcoming Recordings I get the following pop-up message:

We tried and failed to get updated information about your Recordings. If your internet connection is otherwise working, please try again in a few minutes.

I do have scheduled recordings on the DVR. Now, I don't know if I'm getting this message because of the 12 hour update/refresh that Comcast does, and therefore the iPad just hasn't synched for this DVR yet? Though this doesn't seem to make sense because I am able to see My Recordings, so it's communicating with it. I figure I'll check again around noon to see if My Recordings finally updates on the iPad.

If it works, then I'm guessing there's either a problem with the Andriod version or the DVR needs an update - or a combination of both. Whatever the problem is, I hope it gets addressed because I do use the Remote app fairly regularly.

I'll report back to update on the status of iPad later today.

Regular Contributor

andyross,

I certainly don't know all the intracacies of how the apps and DVR services work together, and therefore don't know if the type of DVR box might matter. But I'm just wondering which legacy DVR you have? I have the Cisco RNG200.

Silver Problem Solver

I have the DCX-3400M. I think then RNG200 is just Comcast's generic name for it.

As mentioned, it has ALWAYS been rather flaky and unreliable. 90% of the time when I first to go my Recordings list, the app crashes. Works fine after reopening it. Again, it has pretty much always done that.

Regular Contributor

Ok, so you have Motorola. I have Cisco. Was just trying to find another common thread other than the app.

And yeah, I've had the occasional crash when first opening the app. Reopening it has always worked in the past, but not so, now.

It's been mid morning since I installed the app on an iPad. Scheduled recordings still doesn't work and gives me the error msg I reported earlier. However, I can at least view the program details on the iPad.

Hope the info we've provided is of some value to Comcast in tracking down the problem.
Regular Contributor

Lo and behold, all functions of the Remote app for Android and iOS are magically working for me this morning. Sure would like to know if they fixed something, or I just got lucky this morning.
Silver Problem Solver

Same here. As always, works for a few weeks, then doesn't for a few...

Regular Contributor

Glad it's working for you, too. Like I mentioned, this is the first time it's happened to me. Could be I've just been lucky enough to have used it during the times it's been "up"! Who knows...
Official Employee

Hi, all - 

Thank you for reaching out here. I'm not seeing any known issues regarding the remote app, but I'm glad to hear it's working for everyone now. Please reach out again here if you run into more issues.

Regular Contributor

Remote App Problems, again

Please see original post/thread started by andyross on 9/11, and replied to by me several times. I wish that thread hadn't been locked by Comcast so the conversation could be continued.

The Remote app continues to have issues with non-X1 legacy systems. It magically began working again on 9/18. However, today it was messed up again.

For several hours this morning, the app (on both Android phone and iOS iPad) were messed up. It said I had no recorded programs and no upcoming scheduled recordings on my DVR (neither of which is true). I also couldn't change stations with either app. Cleared the cache, restarted phone and iPad, etc. to no avail.

I finally decided to power reset my DVR. Lo and behold, after about 30 minutes I started to see some of my recorded and scheduled programs on the apps. After about an hour they all showed on the apps. However, I still couldn't change channels from either app. Waited another 2 hours to give the Channel Guide a chance to fully download. Once that was done, I could then change channels with both apps.

This was happening on both wifi and cell data.

Sure wish you all would figure out the problem with this recurring issue.
Expert

Re: Remote App Problems, again

@g-hodgson wrote:
Please see original post/thread started by andyross on 9/11, and replied to by me several times. I wish that thread hadn't been locked by Comcast so the conversation could be continued.

The Remote app continues to have issues with non-X1 legacy systems. It magically began working again on 9/18. However, today it was messed up again.

For several hours this morning, the app (on both Android phone and iOS iPad) were messed up. It said I had no recorded programs and no upcoming scheduled recordings on my DVR (neither of which is true). I also couldn't change stations with either app. Cleared the cache, restarted phone and iPad, etc. to no avail.

I finally decided to power reset my DVR. Lo and behold, after about 30 minutes I started to see some of my recorded and scheduled programs on the apps. After about an hour they all showed on the apps. However, I still couldn't change channels from either app. Waited another 2 hours to give the Channel Guide a chance to fully download. Once that was done, I could then change channels with both apps.

This was happening on both wifi and cell data.

Sure wish you all would figure out the problem with this recurring issue.

reopened thread and move your post to it. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Thanks, Rustyben!

First for linking this post to the previous post that andyross started, and that I contributed to.

Second, I'm the furthest thing from an "expert" when it comes to the internet, but I do enjoy helping where I can.

That being said, this issue appears to be more than just an app problem. I'm thinking it may also be a legacy DVR issue.

I realize Comast doesn't want to continue supporting legacy systems forever, and they have to cut the chord at some point. But I've only had their DVR service for about six years. Maybe just bad timing on my part.

Anyway, I appreciate your response and look forward to some type of resolution for both andyross and me.
Regular Contributor

The Remote app for Android had been working fine for the past few weeks. However, it's back to its old tricks.

For the past two days I've been getting an error when attempting to view any program description. I also get an error when attempting to view my Scheduled Recordings. I can view my Recordings and can change channels with the app. This is pretty much what happened back when this thread was first started.

The Remote app for iOS works fine, as I've tested it on an iPad.

Please fix this Android app.

Official Employee

Hi, g-hodgson. Please send me a private message with your name so I can submit a request for you and have this looked at further on our end. Thank you. 

Official Employee

Hi, g-hodgson. It was a pleasure working with you. I'm glad that the app is fully working for you again after the request we submitted. It helps that we also allowed additional time after the request was completed, just to monitor things. I know the issue with the app had been intermittent, but we should have reached a solution to it at this point. Opening requests like that can help link problems to any known issues that might be being monitored and tracked on the backend. Thanks for all of your time with this, I really appreciate it! Take care and let us know if you need anything in the future.