Community Forum

Streaming from IOS to TV

New Poster

Streaming from IOS to TV

I had an earlier post where I complained about not being able to use an apple lightning AV adapter with my iphone and the xfinity app.

The answer was that it was not comcast's decision to not allow screen mirroring

I've since figured out two ways to make this "happen" - in quotes because it only works with channels that have their own streaming apps AFAIK - like cnn, nbc, fox.

option 1: Install cnn (or nbc,fox,etc) app on your iphone or ipad. Oddly enough you need to supply your comcast authentication information to the cnn app.  Then you can plug the apple AV cable (lightning to hdmi out) into your TV and watch CNN on your TV.

option 2: If you have apple tv (as I do) you can install the CNN (or nbc, etc) app on it. Again you need to authenticate with your comcast credentials.  This option is nicer as you can just use your apple tv remote and no need to mess with plugging in your iphone.

Seems like a strange world where the channel's own streaming apps allow screen mirroring (using authentication to comcast...) but xfinity/comcast app doesn't.  I'm sure there is an explanation that makes perfect sense to all the players' teams of MBAs and IP lawyers ... but it confuses the heck out of me.

New Poster

Re: Streaming from IOS to TV

Let’s not kid ourselves folks. Xfinity /Comcast is intentionally blocking this so they can keep the set top box rental revenue in place. Netflix who doesn’t have this revenue concern just released a mirroring fix last year. Come on Xfinity please get more progressive. We won’t ditch all of our boxes we just want convenience.
New Poster

Does anyone know a work around for this foolish and unnecessary restriction? All I want to do is see my recordings remotely on a screen larger than my iPad. 

I’m guessing even if there was the response it would be sensored. Oh well, looks like blind greed wins once again. 

Bronze Problem Solver

@TheRealBing wrote:

Does anyone know a work around for this foolish and unnecessary restriction? All I want to do is see my recordings remotely on a screen larger than my iPad. 

I’m guessing even if there was the response it would be sensored. Oh well, looks like blind greed wins once again. 

Only way is to use a PC, the streaming website, and connect to your tv or cast from pc to tv. There is also a roku app