Community Forum

Streaming Content Skipping

Highlighted
New Poster

Streaming Content Skipping

Several different shows on Xfinity onDemand are skipping 2-5 seconds of content throughout the show. I have tried restarting my computer, using a different browser, and replaying the video. The skips still remain in the same places. What can be done? 

Expert

Re: Streaming Content Skipping


@swelden901 wrote:

Several different shows on Xfinity onDemand are skipping 2-5 seconds of content throughout the show. I have tried restarting my computer, using a different browser, and replaying the video. The skips still remain in the same places. What can be done? 


I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

 

Hi swelden901, are you having issues with recorded content or just on demand content? Have you tried viewing the show/movie through the Xfinity Stream app? Have you tried streaming from another device? Are you connected to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable? 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

I’m having the same problem. iPad and iPhone. App is current. Happens with on demand content and recorded programs.
New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

Happened at least 4 times during tonight’s episode of Homeland.
Expert

Re: Streaming Content Skipping


@Marckelleher wrote:
Happened at least 4 times during tonight’s episode of Homeland.

there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

I am having the same issue for multiple shows and it's been happening for several months with no resolution.  I called support about it at least twice.  It makes the streaming experience completely unusable.  When will this be fixed? 

New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

Xfinity recordings I am watching via the iOS Xfinity Stream app is skipping random intervals of time. The intervals last from seconds to minutes. The 1 hour long show I had scheduled to record only recorded 46 minutes. This has been happening daily for about 1 week. One day, only 23 minutes of the hour long show was recorded.
Expert

Re: Streaming Content Skipping


@nts1320 wrote:
Xfinity recordings I am watching via the iOS Xfinity Stream app is skipping random intervals of time. The intervals last from seconds to minutes. The 1 hour long show I had scheduled to record only recorded 46 minutes. This has been happening daily for about 1 week. One day, only 23 minutes of the hour long show was recorded.

and the home DVR recording is fine, right? see the post 2 above your post for information.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

When will this issue be fixed. We just reluctantly switched to xfinity and the streaming app has been useless. All dvr recordings skip regardless of what network or day/time of day they were recorded. There is not a single provider that can make a product that works yet we have to pay for the 100% of a product that only delivers about 60% of the show!
Expert

Re: Streaming Content Skipping


@Kaseygrohe wrote:
When will this issue be fixed. We just reluctantly switched to xfinity and the streaming app has been useless. All dvr recordings skip regardless of what network or day/time of day they were recorded. There is not a single provider that can make a product that works yet we have to pay for the 100% of a product that only delivers about 60% of the show!

the streaming part of the service (and cloud DVR if you have a DVR) is provided free and is fairly new. they know of the problem and the engineers appear to be increasing cloud DVR server capacity. someone recently posted that their problem had cleared up. (standard answer to follow). there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

I'm having the same issue, but perhaps more extreme.

 

When I am watching content saved on my DVR on my iPhone in the Stream app, either when streaming or after downloading the show to my phone, the content skips and is unwatchable. For example, I'll be watching a show that is 62 minutes long on my DVR, but when I start watching it in the iPhone app (again either streaming or after downloading), it will show up as a different length. It could be 6 minutes, it could be 35 minutes, it could be 60 minutes. The playback will skip sporadically so as to fill up the length that my app perceives the show as being. So 62-->6 will skip almost the whole thing, where as 62-->60 will skip only 2 minutes worth (although this is still unwatchable). The show plays perfectly fine if I watch it at home on my DVR.

 

I have the most recent version of the iPhone app. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I have tried this from multiple devices. I have tried resetting my cable box and resetting my home internet. If you look at the reviews in the app store for the most recent iPhone app version, lots of people are reporting problems. When is Comcast going to fix this?

Expert

Re: Streaming Content Skipping


@kevin112 wrote:

I'm having the same issue, but perhaps more extreme.

 

When I am watching content saved on my DVR on my iPhone in the Stream app, either when streaming or after downloading the show to my phone, the content skips and is unwatchable. For example, I'll be watching a show that is 62 minutes long on my DVR, but when I start watching it in the iPhone app (again either streaming or after downloading), it will show up as a different length. It could be 6 minutes, it could be 35 minutes, it could be 60 minutes. The playback will skip sporadically so as to fill up the length that my app perceives the show as being. So 62-->6 will skip almost the whole thing, where as 62-->60 will skip only 2 minutes worth (although this is still unwatchable). The show plays perfectly fine if I watch it at home on my DVR.

 

I have the most recent version of the iPhone app. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I have tried this from multiple devices. I have tried resetting my cable box and resetting my home internet. If you look at the reviews in the app store for the most recent iPhone app version, lots of people are reporting problems. When is Comcast going to fix this?


the problem is with the cloud DVR servers. When the file is 'made' corrupted (missing parts) then playback using the cloud copy of the recording will skip no matter which cloud DVR playing device you might use. there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

I am having the same exact issue. This is very frustrating. 

New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping


@Rustyben rustyben wrote:

the streaming part of the service (and cloud DVR if you have a DVR) is provided free and is fairly new. they know of the problem and the engineers appear to be increasing cloud DVR server capacity. someone recently posted that their problem had cleared up. (standard answer to follow). there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.



That is not exactly true-- streaming is NOT free for everyone. I do not have cable boxes, I am paying exclusively for the online streaming through "Xfinity Instant TV". I just switched over about a week ago, and all of my recordings skip several seconds every so often. It is extremely frustrating!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

"a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time" isn't super reassuring given that this has been the response on this forum for many many months. Is this going to get fixed?

New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

I’ve had the EXACT same problem!  Ever since the latest update my recorded shows skip 5-10 seconds randomly and it drives me crazy!  (Only on iPad). It’s not OK to mess with my Live PD!!

Expert

Re: Streaming Content Skipping


@JPS94 wrote:

I’ve had the EXACT same problem!  Ever since the latest update my recorded shows skip 5-10 seconds randomly and it drives me crazy!  (Only on iPad). It’s not OK to mess with my Live PD!!


unfortunately, it is an intermittent issue for some and long-time issue for others as they work through the cloud DVR issues. ..canned answer next.  there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

Adding my voice to the chorus here as I've been experiencing this skipping issue for months now. Very frustrating as I rarely watch TV and when I do, it is usually from the app. Fingers crossed this moves up on Xfinity's priority list soon!

New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

Every movie I try to watch they all skip through out the whole movie
New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

We have the same problem for months now. It’s very annoying when you tr to watch a recorded show on the iPad. It always skips, no matter what time I try to watch it, no matter the show. It’s just at the very same location if I try to go back and rewatch it. It used to be perfectly fine on the iPad. Now I can only watch recorded shows on TV. Frustrating...

Expert

Re: Streaming Content Skipping


@Debo12345 wrote:

We have the same problem for months now. It’s very annoying when you tr to watch a recorded show on the iPad. It always skips, no matter what time I try to watch it, no matter the show. It’s just at the very same location if I try to go back and rewatch it. It used to be perfectly fine on the iPad. Now I can only watch recorded shows on TV. Frustrating...


Hi, please record a new 30 minute SD show on TVland (for example) and a 30 to 60 minute show on an HD channel. do they now play back normally?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

End of Episode Skipping to Next Episode

Hi there, I am having a problem where the last minute or so of episodes I watch on the xfinity app on my iPad are skipping forth to the next episode without me indicating to do so. I try to rewind and watch the part that I missed but it just goes and skips forward once again. This only started happening in the past week or so and doesn’t happen with recorded shows. Please help. 

Expert

Re: End of Episode Skipping to Next Episode


@Ckeminott wrote:

Hi there, I am having a problem where the last minute or so of episodes I watch on the xfinity app on my iPad are skipping forth to the next episode without me indicating to do so. I try to rewind and watch the part that I missed but it just goes and skips forward once again. This only started happening in the past week or so and doesn’t happen with recorded shows. Please help. 


a new feature was added you can turn off temporarily, go to settings (the gear) and playback options. turn off auto-play next episode. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

It is now October and the streaming recorded content issues still persist.  I can watch fine on the various cable boxes at my house but recorded streaming freezes and skips frequently. During that period I have upgraded and downgraded ISO versions and replaced my xfinity provided modem with no impact to the issue.  I assume that there is a cloud version of these "DVR" recordings and that there must be some synchronization to know when you start / stop watching on the cable boxes verses streaming device.  My issues seem random as I can replay the same content several times and the issues appear to happen at different points in the recording.  So thinking not an issue with the "recorded" content but some issue playing it back in streaming mode.

In any account, any updates??

 

Expert

Re: Streaming Content Skipping


@Billg58 wrote:

It is now October and the streaming recorded content issues still persist.  I can watch fine on the various cable boxes at my house but recorded streaming freezes and skips frequently. During that period I have upgraded and downgraded ISO versions and replaced my xfinity provided modem with no impact to the issue.  I assume that there is a cloud version of these "DVR" recordings and that there must be some synchronization to know when you start / stop watching on the cable boxes verses streaming device.  My issues seem random as I can replay the same content several times and the issues appear to happen at different points in the recording.  So thinking not an issue with the "recorded" content but some issue playing it back in streaming mode.

In any account, any updates?? 


you describe one device you stream on (apple IOS). have you tried a 'bad' recording on a desk/laptop or another device? did you try viewing the same recording on your mobile data internet instead of your home wifi?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

I just tried watching a recorded version of Manifest.  After loading an updated Flash driver for my mac book pro, the recording played through with very little freezing or pausing.  Tried fast forwarding and reversing, all ok. Tried the same on both my iphone and ipad and could not get 1 minute into the same content without it freezing and replaying the same section over and over.  Same wifi network as the Mac, IOS and stream app current versions.  Thoughts?

New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

I have the exact same problem on my Surface pro3.  Random skips through out the recorded program.  No issues when watched from the box.

Very unhappy about that.

New Poster

Re: Streaming Content Skipping

If this affects random customers how do you fix it. I still haven’t seen a Comcast post giving a real solution.