Community Forum

Stream App and APPLE HOMEPOD

New Poster

Stream App and APPLE HOMEPOD

The topic of the Stream app and Airplay has been covered separately (e.g. https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Apple-Airplay-and-Streaming-App/m-p/2914466#U2914466).  However, I have not seen (or missed!) the related problem that Stream posts a 3338 error when attempting to stream AUDIO (NOT tv casting) to wireless speakers like HomePod. In my opinion, this should not be a tv licensing issue any more than it would be to hardwire a speaker or use Bluetooth audio to headphones or speakers for a Stream — it is just a different audio protocol. The Home app can correctly differentiate an Apple TV from a smart TV from HomePod speakers (and in such circumstances will not stream some other content to the TV, but WILL to the speakers. Why the heck can’t the Stream app? Can you folks PLEASE implement a software solution here?  BTW — I have literally wasted hours on the phone with Comcast technical support repeating that yes, this occurs on all my (or other peoples’) iOS devices trying to run Stream with HomePod, and no, it is not solved by deleting and reloading the Stream app or updating system software, and repeating the 3338 message text to support staff who don’t know what it is, and getting routed in circles right back to the root Comcast support number. And no, Apple background audio is not the solution. Help! Please!

Expert

Re: Stream App and APPLE HOMEPOD

@jmccargar wrote:

The topic of the Stream app and Airplay has been covered separately (e.g. https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Apple-Airplay-and-Streaming-App/m-p/2914466#U2914466).  However, I have not seen (or missed!) the related problem that Stream posts a 3338 error when attempting to stream AUDIO (NOT tv casting) to wireless speakers like HomePod. In my opinion, this should not be a tv licensing issue any more than it would be to hardwire a speaker or use Bluetooth audio to headphones or speakers for a Stream — it is just a different audio protocol. The Home app can correctly differentiate an Apple TV from a smart TV from HomePod speakers (and in such circumstances will not stream some other content to the TV, but WILL to the speakers. Why the heck can’t the Stream app? Can you folks PLEASE implement a software solution here?  BTW — I have literally wasted hours on the phone with Comcast technical support repeating that yes, this occurs on all my (or other peoples’) iOS devices trying to run Stream with HomePod, and no, it is not solved by deleting and reloading the Stream app or updating system software, and repeating the 3338 message text to support staff who don’t know what it is, and getting routed in circles right back to the root Comcast support number. And no, Apple background audio is not the solution. Help! Please!

HDCP restrictions are on the combined streams (video/audio). use a set top box to connect to external speakers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Stream App and APPLE HOMEPOD

With 3rd party equipment we can sometimes run into restrictions and/or compatibility issues. There isn't any kind of software implementation that we can push through at this time to change anything in this circumstance. Let us know what other questions you have. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!