Community Forum

Starz app not supported

Contributor

Starz app not supported

The apps for Showtime, HBO etc work great, but the app from STARZ is not supported by Comcast / Xfinity.  I called STARZ and they point to Comcast.   I have had a few discussions with Comcast / Xfinity (on the phone as well a chat sessions) and am told that it is the fault of STARZ.  Would someone please fix this?    To watch STARZ on my smartphone and requiring us to log into Xfinity first is very difficult and annoying, please allow the direct app like you do for Showtime, etc. 

Tags (1)
Expert

Re: Starz app not supported

wrote:

The apps for Showtime, HBO etc work great, but the app from STARZ is not supported by Comcast / Xfinity.  I called STARZ and they point to Comcast.   I have had a few discussions with Comcast / Xfinity (on the phone as well a chat sessions) and am told that it is the fault of STARZ.  Would someone please fix this?    To watch STARZ on my smartphone and requiring us to log into Xfinity first is very difficult and annoying, please allow the direct app like you do for Showtime, etc. 

Comcast doesn't stand in the way they just are not going to pay Starz and others so some customers can use the 3rd party app.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

This is a terrible excuse from Comcast/Xfinity.

Why is it that EVERY OTHER service provider can be used to log into the Starz app -- except for Comcast? Comcast apparently has no problem with HBO and Showtime. My issue is that certain places block the Xfinity app or website (e.g., airplane Wi-Fi, etc.).

Whereas I can stream HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, I can't stream Starz because the Xfinity app is blocked and Xfinity doesn't support Starz like it does HBO, Showtime, etc. 

If we're PAYING for Starz, why can't we use our Xfinity account to verify that we are customers?

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Comcast doesn't stand in the way they just are not going to pay Starz and others so some customers can use the 3rd party app.

Then Comcast should at least release their Stream TV app for other devices not just for Roku. No support for Fire TV, Apple TV or Android TV. Either support the 3rd party TV Anywhere apps on all deveices or at least provide an app for all devices. It is ridiculous that Comcast has to be dragged kicking and screaming into supporting the technologies of the 21st century. Once the OTT streaming services mature even more there will be better TV service options available.

Expert

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Then Comcast should at least release their Stream TV app for other devices not just for Roku. No support for Fire TV, Apple TV or Android TV. Either support the 3rd party TV Anywhere apps on all deveices or at least provide an app for all devices. It is ridiculous that Comcast has to be dragged kicking and screaming into supporting the technologies of the 21st century. Once the OTT streaming services mature even more there will be better TV service options available.

Comcast earns revenue by charging per TV outlet (streaming rights are separate) so we pay for each TV connection. Currently you can use a Roku dongle for free during the test beta program or hook up a desk/laptop to the TV via HDMI and use a web browser to play using the TV as a monitor.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Regular Contributor

Comcast earns revenue using obsolete business practices like the per outlet charge. If it is due to them making bad business deals with the content providers, I guess it is only fair that they pass the ramifications of those bad deals down to their customers. Not that the content providers are any better. They are one of the main reasons our bills are so high. Greed, stubborness and refusal to accept current realities including current technologies is the motto of these businesses.

Comcast is dealing with some of those realities though. As there has been a somewhat large exodus of Comcast TV service subscribers. Now that there are other options available for TV/streaming service. Not that those streaming services are infinitely better. Most of them are owned by big satellite/cable companies. Plus they still have to deal with the stubborn content providers.

Comcast can relish in the fact that they still have a near monopoly in many areas when it comes to broadband service. Since many people really don't have any other option for true broadband internet, Comcast has an almost herculean grip on those customers.
New Poster

Comcast or Starz should provide us with a user name or password for the app, if they are at some sort of impass with allowing the use of the xfinity account to authenticate.
New Poster

Xfinity is the only one that cant get STARZ app to work. About a A Billion people have firestick and no xfinity or Starz working app

Expert

@brucewayne0666 wrote:

Xfinity is the only one that cant get STARZ app to work. About a A Billion people have firestick and no xfinity or Starz working app

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-requirements?view=app amazon fire devices are listed there that work with the stream app. anything that connects to a TV except the current free Roku beta app requires the outlet to be paid for monthly just as a set top box. 

New Poster

Starz has a very nice App. Would certainly be cheaper to subscribe directly. Xfinity could just authenticate and make their service that much better, but no, of course not. It's just the useless App that only works at home. Makes it that much easier to consider just cutting the cord.

New Poster

I'm not even sure what that even means. Of course when you go under the list of companies on the starz app, Comcast - Xfinity is conspicuously absent. Someone, somewhere decided that Xfinity does not belong on that list. The original question is " what is going on? Why am i having this issue?" and your answer is Comcast does not stand in the way.... I am not sure what question you are answering.
New Poster

The reason for this is because Comcast/XFinity does not like that Starz sells their programming in the app as well.  HBO (HBO Go, HBO NOW) and Showtime (Showtime Anytime, Showtime)  have separate apps where they sell their programming.  Starz does both in the same app, and because of this Comcast/XFinity refuses to play ball with the Starz on the app.  It's unfortunate.  I don't agree with it. But it is what it is, and Comcast has enough money that angry customers really don't mean much.  Comcast will tell you that you can use their app to stream Starz content, and while this is true, it really is a sub par experience as it lags and stutters, and you can't cast it.  Unfortunatley just like with Amazon vs. Google, and any other corporate rivalry, it's the consumers that ultimately pay the price.

New Poster

Just attempted to enable Starz through my Kindle Firestick.   You can link it to your cable account if you pay for Starz.  Well at least you can do that if you are one of the 200 different cable companies that allow you to do it.   Comcast seriously needs to get this done now.   Obviously none of the other companies had an issue doing it!    Even if Amazon and Comcast could allow the Xfinity app to be installed that would fix the whole issue.   $200 a month is a bit expensive for excuses. 

Expert

@Sparty1966 wrote:

Just attempted to enable Starz through my Kindle Firestick.   You can link it to your cable account if you pay for Starz.  Well at least you can do that if you are one of the 200 different cable companies that allow you to do it.   Comcast seriously needs to get this done now.   Obviously none of the other companies had an issue doing it!    Even if Amazon and Comcast could allow the Xfinity app to be installed that would fix the whole issue.   $200 a month is a bit expensive for excuses. 

starz would prefer to sell their access to the OTT services.

New Poster

I don't use the Starz app but access the Starz movies and Starz series using the Xfinity Stream app.

Try it and see.  

Press the 3 bars in the upper left.

Choose Browse/Networks, then Starz.

You can also access HBO and Showtime here.

New Poster

Comcast is the worst company I've ever dealt with. This problem with using the STARZ app doesn't surprise me at all. 

Frequent Visitor

@Ray_O wrote:

I don't use the Starz app but access the Starz movies and Starz series using the Xfinity Stream app.

Try it and see.  

Press the 3 bars in the upper left.

Choose Browse/Networks, then Starz.

You can also access HBO and Showtime here.

No Xfinity Stream app on FireTV.

New Poster

Totally Comcast's fault, they wouldn't allow subscribers access via Starz app because Starz uses same sign in page for both cable subscribers and Starz direct subscribers. Comcast does not want their subscribers to see they can get Starz direct.
New Poster

The xfinity stream app only allows live stream not on demand. Called them and their "computers crashed" hmmm.
Expert

@Memadlady wrote:
The xfinity stream app only allows live stream not on demand. Called them and their "computers crashed" hmmm.

if you subscribe to Starz, press the Xfinity button, > on demand > Networks A-Z >> S-T and S. move to the right and find Starz

New Poster

I was told by the Comcast agent when I signed up that I would be able to log in to the starz app and now that I have the service I'm finding out i can't??? What's the point in even having starz through them the only reason I signed up for cable with the internet
Expert

@Greg7488 wrote:
I was told by the Comcast agent when I signed up that I would be able to log in to the starz app and now that I have the service I'm finding out i can't??? What's the point in even having starz through them the only reason I signed up for cable with the internet

as a customer, the issue is unfortunate. there is a link that shows all the third-party apps available (at the moment) at https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/online-tv-through-partner-sites

Note that the providers vary on who they let use their own apps/website. some (like CBS) prefer to sell access to the older episodes to make more revenue. that link explains more about why some are and some are not available to us as customers.

Frequent Visitor

Mmmm.  This really bites.  Oh wait, FIOS is at the door offering a deal...

Regular Contributor

@elpee wrote:

Mmmm.  This really bites.  Oh wait, FIOS is at the door offering a deal...

No one's stopping you, take the deal. Oh wait, there is no deal.

Frequent Visitor

Actually, there is a deal.  They offered much cheaper price, faster internet for all that I'm getting now.  Real?  Don't know, but checking it out.

New Poster

Can't find a solution either
Expert

@Cyborg03 wrote:
Can't find a solution either

are you able to use the Xfinity stream app and the linear Starz channels, the on-demand Starz library, and the TVgo Starz channel?

New Poster

I am a customer of xfinity as well but I also work for two other cable companies who as well have this same issue with Starz. Starz app not being compatible with xfinity is not an xfinity issue. This is an Starz issue. Starz want people to stream directly through them, they are trying to cut out third parties so they can profit more. Which they have every right to do. Having cable nowadays don’t make sense, streaming is way more affordable. You can customize your channels and pay for exactly what you want with out get a bunch of stuff you don’t need or want. Honestly unless you’re elderly or technologically challenged cable doesn’t make sense. In my household I have my elderly parents who are technologically challenged. They have a problem with knowing which input is for tv or firetv. Teaching them how to use the firetv device is troublesome in itself. That is the only reason why I still have cable in my house. I personally can be happy with just high speed internet phone line (because I work from home) and home security system. What I would suggest is to go over your cable plan with billing and if Starz is the main reason why you chosen your package downgrade to the package that carries only hbo and showtime. Then by the app directly through Starz. That way you can have Starz on the go anywhere. You won’t be saving much but you will get exactly what you want which sounds like you crave Starz on the go.
Regular Contributor

Starz - HA Why is every other provider mentioned except Xfinity?  Every other major provided is listed EXCEPT XFINITY.  

Viacom Channels (MTV, E!, etc) don't work with Xfinity credentials either.  EVERY OTHER MAJOR CABLE/SAT PROVIDER WORKS! 

NFL Network does not allow you to use their app via xfinity credentials however EVERY OTHER MAJOR CABLE/SAT PROVIDER WORKS! 

Regular Visitor

Starz should be completely supported. Only ONE HD channel. If Comcast wants to be the best get it working!