Community Forum

Samsung Stream captioning

Frequent Visitor

Samsung Stream captioning

Stream Beta 1.0.7 (current version)

Samsung UN65fMU8000,  version 1270 (current)

The location of the captions is placed in the vertical center of the screen on the left on all programming  This is on top of the main viewing area.  Should be horizontally centered at the bottom of the screen

Official Employee

Re: Samsung Stream captioning

Hi @Ceolona

Thanks for posting to the Xfinity Forums. Sorry for the experience you're having with the location of the Closed Captions when streaming. Unfortunately, we don't control this, however, I wanted to see if you could try adjusting the CC settings to see if this helps any? If you don't have this option in the Stream App, please try to make the changes in the Xfinity Stream Portal

How can I adjust the text size of Closed Captioning online? 
Within the Xfinity Stream portal, the caption text can be adjusted to small, medium and large sizes. To customize your captions, select the settings icon and then Customize Display under CLOSED CAPTIONING.
Video Playback option box with the option to customize the display of the Closed Captioning.

I hope this helps.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I know that comcast does not control the placement of the captions on the screen. 

However, it seems not likely that every channel and every program decided to put all captionining centered on the left edge of the screen only for the Xfinity Stream app on Samsung TVs.  ...but keeps captioning centered along the bottom of the screen for every other TV, set top box and Xfinity Stream for iOS

Official Employee

I understand and will be sure to pass along your feedback. In the meantime, depending on the type of device(s) you are using, can you let me know if this helps in your situation? 

On Apple devices, you can change the appearance of Closed Captioning including font size, style, color, background color and opacity.

1. Tap the Settings icon from your Apple device. (Note: Do not tap the Settings icon located within the Xfinity Stream app.)
  2. Tap General, followed by Accessibility.
  3. Scroll down to the Media section, and tap Subtitles & Captioning.
  4. Tap Style.
  5. Choose from the list of pre-defined styles, or create your own by tapping Create New Style.
  6. Once you've created your style and selected it from the list of styles, when you return to the Xfinity Stream app to view a program, closed captions will match the style you created.  

Or, 

On devices running Android 4.4 KitKat or later, you can access Closed Captioning settings under your device's Settings menu. On devices running earlier Android versions, you can access Closed Captioning settings from within the Xfinity Stream app.

Closed Captioning Settings on Android 4.4 KitKat or Later

1. Go to your Android device's Settings.
  2. Tap Accessibility, followed by Captions.
  3. Slide the on/off toggle to On.
    Android Accessibility menu displaying a preview of Closed Captioning appearance. The on-off toggle is at upper right.  The Standard Options available to adjust are Language, Text size, and Caption style (e.g., font color).

4. Adjust readability settings as desired. When you return to the Xfinity Stream app, captions should display in the style that you have chosen.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!