Community Forum

Roku streaming stick for xfinity Beta app

New Poster

Roku streaming stick for xfinity Beta app

Would it make sense to purchase a Roku Streaming Stick for $30 minimum, just to have the ability to stream xfinity on my Samsung Smart TV?  Currently, there isn't any mirroring function from my apple iphone with the xfinity app to my Samsung Smart TV unless I use Roku.  My concern is while it's in the Beta/testing phase and free for now, once the trial is over, then xfinity will charge a monthly fee of approximately $7.95, rumor says.  Wouldn't it be feasible to just add an extra box from xfinity for a monthly charge of $9.95 per month? 

The Roku also adds an additionaly handheld remote to the TV remote and soundbar require 3 handheld devices. Is it worth it?  Lastly, will xfinity work with Samsung TV to get their app in their program similar to Netflix?  Please advice...

Expert

Re: Roku streaming stick for xfinity Beta app

@Flybywire1 wrote:

Would it make sense to purchase a Roku Streaming Stick for $30 minimum, just to have the ability to stream xfinity on my Samsung Smart TV?  Currently, there isn't any mirroring function from my apple iphone with the xfinity app to my Samsung Smart TV unless I use Roku.  My concern is while it's in the Beta/testing phase and free for now, once the trial is over, then xfinity will charge a monthly fee of approximately $7.95, rumor says.  Wouldn't it be feasible to just add an extra box from xfinity for a monthly charge of $9.95 per month? 

The Roku also adds an additionaly handheld remote to the TV remote and soundbar require 3 handheld devices. Is it worth it?  Lastly, will xfinity work with Samsung TV to get their app in their program similar to Netflix?  Please advice...

the roku is to implement a customer owned equipment method to watch your cable subscription on a TV in the same home as other equipment (like X!). It is currently free while in beta testing but will have an outlet charge when out of testing. 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

I just hope Comcast can get rid of the two stream limitation when they go out of beta. Five ROKU devices (four ROKU TV sets and a ROKU Ultra STB on the set that predates ROKU) and I can only use two at a time. Will happily pay a per-box charge if they can lift the limitation. Love not having to string around coax cable and being able to move TV sets throughout the house and possibly even outside (haven't tried it with a TV outside but I can get a Wi-Fi signal just fine outside now).

New Poster

Spend a little more and get a ROKU Ultra. I have one and it will turn my VIZIO TV on and off and control the volume. Rarely if ever need to use the VIZIO remote. I assume it will also control a Samsung, it's a universal remote for on/off and volume on the TV.

New Poster

The Roku xv can be used is a cable box so i dont have to pay the monthly charge on my cable boxs ?
Expert

@tomboi2 wrote:
The Roku xv can be used is a cable box so i dont have to pay the monthly charge on my cable boxs ?

the public beta is currently free (with HD if you have HD technology line on your bill for $9.95. when roku is off beta there will be a charge and currently can't be your only set top box for home regular service. there is a stream TV limited service with no cable set top boxes that will allow you to play on the Roku.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).