Community Forum

Roku Xfinity Stream beta user cannot return x1 cable box

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Roku Xfinity Stream beta user cannot return x1 cable box

After reading the Xfinity stream beta FAQ a bunch of times, it appears that you can watch your regular cable tv package without the use of a cable box. Your Roku beta app can be primary. When I attempt to ask Comcast about this, they explain that they do not have that ability and my tv account would close if I return my only cable box (I don’t use it today). I’ve pointed out that the FAQ for the Roku beta program talks about getting a credit for tv plans that included a cable box if returned but they have no real way to set this up. Is this ability coming? The FAQ should be adjusted until this happens. My main concern is I can’t get DVR service without the DVR box (the box I have does not have DVR features). This would cost me a rental fee and the additional cost for DVR features. Anyone else run into this problem?
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Roku Xfinity Stream beta user cannot return x1 cable box

@C1destiny1 wrote:
After reading the Xfinity stream beta FAQ a bunch of times, it appears that you can watch your regular cable tv package without the use of a cable box. Your Roku beta app can be primary. When I attempt to ask Comcast about this, they explain that they do not have that ability and my tv account would close if I return my only cable box (I don’t use it today). I’ve pointed out that the FAQ for the Roku beta program talks about getting a credit for tv plans that included a cable box if returned but they have no real way to set this up. Is this ability coming? The FAQ should be adjusted until this happens. My main concern is I can’t get DVR service without the DVR box (the box I have does not have DVR features). This would cost me a rental fee and the additional cost for DVR features. Anyone else run into this problem?

there is a new instant TV subscription available to not have a set top box but still have home xfinity service. it allows 2 simultaneous streams, and a cloud DVR lite (20 hours of storage).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I’m aware of Instant TV but the pricing and packages is not what I’m looking for. My current TV package would be exactly what I want with DVR and credit for cable box return.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Here is part of the FAQ for reference.

“Do I need to rent an Xfinity TV Box for the Xfinity Stream app to work on my Partner Device?
No. If you are a new customer, you can simply opt to use your Partner Device without renting an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast.

If you are a current Xfinity TV customer and would like to solely use your Partner Device instead of your rented Xfinity TV Box, you can do so but will need to return your rented Xfinity TV Box by following these instructions. You may also use a combination of both rented equipment and Partner Devices in your home; the rented Xfinity TV Box will be treated as your “primary outlet.”
Highlighted
New Poster

I had the same question. Since we don’t need the Comcast box anymore, it would seem we could return it for a discount. Or at least that’s what the Comcast suggest. When I called customer support, she couldn’t find anythiny about it. But, she did say we don’t need the box anymore.
Anyone else have an answer?
Highlighted
Expert

@Smundorff wrote:
I had the same question. Since we don’t need the Comcast box anymore, it would seem we could return it for a discount. Or at least that’s what the Comcast suggest. When I called customer support, she couldn’t find anythiny about it. But, she did say we don’t need the box anymore.
Anyone else have an answer?

plans include the first set top box (non-DVR). with a set top box in your home you can have 5 streaming devices at one time. without a set top box plan, you have what is called instant-TV plan which includes only 2 streams at a time and a DVR lite of 20 hours maximum. returning a device that has no charge does not save money but reduces your streams available.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I’m aware of the instant tv program but as I mentioned before those are very different plans than regular cable packages which the Roku beta program fully supports without cable boxes according to the FAQ. I’m really confused why they even posted that FAQ and can’t execute what it says. It clearly states a cable box is not needed and you will receive a credit for returning your cable box. This needs to be fixed somehow.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi everyone. According to the Xfinity Stream Beta FAQ link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs please see the following:

The Xfinity Stream app delivers live broadcast channels, linear cable channels, cloud recordings and video on demand, all without having to rent an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast. The Xfinity Stream app for Partner Devices is currently offered in a "beta" version that does not include the full set of features and functionality included in the Xfinity Stream app for mobile devices or the web portal. Future releases of the app will include additional features and functionality, as well as improved stability and optimization. When using the "beta" app, you will not be charged an "additional outlet" service charge. Pricing may change in the future.

Do I need to rent an Xfinity TV Box for the Xfinity Stream app to work on my Partner Device? 
No. If you are a new customer, you can simply opt to use your Partner Device without renting an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast.

If you are a current Xfinity TV customer and would like to solely use your Partner Device instead of your rented Xfinity TV Box, you can do so but will need to return your rented Xfinity TV Box by following these instructions. You may also use a combination of both rented equipment and Partner Devices in your home; the rented Xfinity TV Box will be treated as your “primary outlet.”

For more information on the difference in features and any credits and fees associated with using a Partner Device instead of renting an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast, please refer to the Credits and Fees section below.

Am I eligible to use the Xfinity Stream app on Xfinity TV Partner Devices?

• Customers must subscribe to Xfinity TV and Xfinity Internet.
  • All Internet speed tiers are eligible.
  • Customers must use a Wireless Gateway rented from Xfinity or a retail modem that is certified to work on the Comcast network. Please visit mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com for more information on compatible equipment.

If the cost of renting the first Xfinity TV Box is included in my package price, do I get a credit if I do not rent an Xfinity TV Box and use a Partner Device instead? 
If your package price includes the cost of the first rented Xfinity TV Box, you will receive a credit for use of a Partner Device on your primary outlet (assuming you have no rented Xfinity TV Boxes). If you are an existing customer who has an Xfinity TV Box, you must return your equipment to Comcast to receive this credit.

If your equipment rental is charged separately in your Xfinity TV package, you will not be charged for use of the Xfinity Stream app on a Partner Device on your primary outlet.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Official Employee

I never heard back from you on this, C1destiny1. I have completed the interaction. If you end up needing further support with this, please send me a PM with your name and I can help from there. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.