Community Forum

Roku Stream - sleep

Contributor

Roku Stream - sleep

Love the Roku streaming app, and would LOVE to see you all make Stream TV compatible with other Android media boxes, rather than disable HDMI output on tablets, etc.

In the meantime, I tried using the new Xfinity WIFI tool on my TV, and I noticed that when I get up and leave the TV where I'm watching over the Roku, the stream continues to flow and scarfs up bandwidth. It would seem prudent for you to provide a way to set a setting in StreamTV to "sleep" after X hours of inactivity like I do with my secondary set top box, and not keep streaming video to a TV that is turned off. I don't believe the Roku device knows when the TV is on or off, and when its running your StreamTV app, the app just keeps streaming continuously. A sleep timer on the app itself would help mitigate pointless streaming.

Expert

Re: Roku Stream - sleep

SS-Arvada wrote:

Love the Roku streaming app, and would LOVE to see you all make Stream TV compatible with other Android media boxes, rather than disable HDMI output on tablets, etc.

In the meantime, I tried using the new Xfinity WIFI tool on my TV, and I noticed that when I get up and leave the TV where I'm watching over the Roku, the stream continues to flow and scarfs up bandwidth. It would seem prudent for you to provide a way to set a setting in StreamTV to "sleep" after X hours of inactivity like I do with my secondary set top box, and not keep streaming video to a TV that is turned off. I don't believe the Roku device knows when the TV is on or off, and when its running your StreamTV app, the app just keeps streaming continuously. A sleep timer on the app itself would help mitigate pointless streaming.

the Xfinity stream app usage does not count toward your data usage. Do you mean while you use the Roku on Youtube or other sources?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).