Community Forum

Remote App Not Working

Regular Contributor

Remote App Not Working

This is a return of a similar, previously reported/corrected issue I had a couple of months ago. ComcastSean was the last person I Private Messaged with to get the issue resolved. He had to open a service ticket for higher level to get it fixed.

I'm using the Xfinity Remote app on an Android phone - version 6.0.1.

I have a non-X1 DVR

The issue:

For the past 5 days or so, the app hasn't been syncing with my DVR. Neither the Scheduled programs nor the Recorded programs on my DVR are properly showing up in the app. I'm not getting any error messages in the app, it just isn't updating.

I tried signing out and back into the app, which didn't do anything. I also uninstalled and re-installed the app, which didn't do anything either.

Can I get a Comcast rep to fix this problem, again?

Thanks. 

Official Employee

Re: Remote App Not Working

Hello again. I remember you and this situation well. Even though I already know your name, please send your name over to me via PM and I will pass this along for further review. Thanks!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Ok, I just spoke with someone from Advance Repair for the second time in three days. This tech told me the same thing as the other tech...the TV Remote app is no longer supported.

I had conveyed this to ComcastMorgan a couple of days ago, but he wasn't convinced because he hadn't heard any such thing. So he opened another ticket, which is why I got this call today.

Needless to say, I gave this Advance Repair tech a little piece of my mind. (No, I didn't yell or curse, but I was very direct.)

It's one thing to stop supporting
the app, which obviously I'm not happy about. But I get it, technology moves on. However, the app is still available on Google Play Store! Also, I've spent a lot of time over the past several days messaging with different Forum techs - sending screenshots, troubleshooting, etc. While it's not the fault of the front line techs, they should've been made aware, and made me aware. That's on Comcast as a company. It would've saved a whole lotta time and aggravation had I known.

That said, I still very much appreciate the efforts and follow ups of all the Forum techs for trying to help me out.
Expert

@g-hodgson wrote:
Ok, I just spoke with someone from Advance Repair for the second time in three days. This tech told me the same thing as the other tech...the TV Remote app is no longer supported.

I had conveyed this to ComcastMorgan a couple of days ago, but he wasn't convinced because he hadn't heard any such thing. So he opened another ticket, which is why I got this call today.

Needless to say, I gave this Advance Repair tech a little piece of my mind. (No, I didn't yell or curse, but I was very direct.)

the app, which obviously I'm not happy about. But I get it, technology moves on. However, the app is still available on Google Play Store! Also, I've spent a lot of time over the past several days messaging with different Forum techs - sending screenshots, troubleshooting, etc. While it's not the fault of the front line techs, they should've been made aware, and made me aware. That's on Comcast as a company. It would've saved a whole lotta time and aggravation had I known.

That said, I still very much appreciate the efforts and follow ups of all the Forum techs for trying to help me out.

try creating a new 'email' (usenrame) account with full priveleges. use that to log in. does it work?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply and idea.

Coincidentally, after I posted my last comment (along with my private messages to the Forum techs I've been working with), the app is now working on both my Android phone and iPad.

Go figure. I guess the app is supported after all.
New Poster

Mine is still not working, how did it get fixed? I have spoken with 3 different support people, non of which could fix it
Regular Contributor

I'm thinking the best way to resolve this is to post a new comment and explain, precisely, what your issue is. ComcastMorgan and ComcastSean have been great to work with and have always helped resolved this issue for me. If your problem is like mine, Comcast will need to fix it on their end.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and let me know how you make out.
New Poster

Hi I'm also dealing with the same pain in the rear issue. Nothing has helped :-(
Please help you're my only hope :-o
Regular Contributor

FrankLandolfe,

This issue with the Remote app has happened to me a few times in the past. Unfortunately, I've never been able to resolve it on my own. And the techs (here in the Forum) haven't been able to fix it either, as they've always had to open up a repair ticket for higher level support.

The Comcast reps do monitor these boards. Hopefully they'll see your comment in this thread and reach out to you. If they don't, you might want to start a new thread and specifically state the issues you're having with the Remote app.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
New Poster

Suddenly it started to work again. After I signed in using regular mode and not incognito mode in my browser it finally was fixed. I think it's a basic bug that follows updates but after a few days it goes back to normal.
Regular Contributor

Hmm, that's very interesting. But I will tell you, I've had it stop working, and then start working again...but only for a few days. Then it goes kaput. Comcast intervention is the only way I've gotten it to work for a month or two once it bites the dust.
New Poster

My wife told that her remote app wasn’t working a couple of weeks ago but didn’t think about it but today I wanted to use on demand via app and nothing. The app can see the DVR but I can’t change channels etc. I called support and went through all of the corrective steps with no benefit. I wondered if it might have been my recent upgrade to iOS 12.2 but I see that the problem exists on Android also. I now have a ticket in. 

New Poster

My remote app does not have an option for me to turn the tv on at all.

I am wondering how I can do this, as I have to use the remote app while I wait for a new remote replacement to come in the mail after my previous one stopped working.
Official Employee

My remote app does not have an option for me to turn the tv on at all.

I am wondering how I can do this, as I have to use the remote app while I wait for a new remote replacement to come in the mail after my previous one stopped working.

Irismiller1, the XFINITY Remote app does not have this function. It is solely connected to the X1 software and not to the physical TV. 

Check this out for some tips: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/top-tips-for-cable-tv-app

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Very frustrated, since I’m a new customer &  I can’t get the app to recognize my devices (I do have Xfinity X1) It won’t even download the TV guide. I called Comcast suopport & was told the app was no longer supported. 

We have tried in iPhone 7, Samsung S9, and iPad mini 4. All up to date on the operating systems and none can find the devices or load TV guide. 

Why have an app that states you can at least view the guide, even if the DVR isn’t support?

@g-hodgson wrote:

Regular Contributor

I feel your pain.

What I can say is that my Remote app issues have FINALLY been resolved with my non-X1 service for a few months now. Took a while to get there. Hopefully it continues.

As for the blow-back you're getting from Comcast's advanced tier regarding this app's supportability? I was told the same thing...it's obsolete. Well that's BS, as it's still available on Play Store, which means it's still a valid product.

Second tier Comcast techs are lazy. The first tier techs on this site are very good, imho.

All I can suggest is that you dig in and make them fix it for you. That's what I did. Should you have to do that? No, but it is what it is.

Expert

@djwmiller wrote:

Very frustrated, since I’m a new customer &  I can’t get the app to recognize my devices (I do have Xfinity X1) It won’t even download the TV guide. I called Comcast suopport & was told the app was no longer supported. 

We have tried in iPhone 7, Samsung S9, and iPad mini 4. All up to date on the operating systems and none can find the devices or load TV guide. 

Why have an app that states you can at least view the guide, even if the DVR isn’t support?

@g-hodgson wrote:

I use the app on several androids, ipad mini 2, iphone 7+ all with no issue. try working with one device and see if you can get it working. using the iphone 7, sign out of the xfinity TV remote app, then long press the app icon and then press the shaking x to remove the app. hit home to stop the apps shaking. power shut down the iphone 7 (not just power off). press and hold the power button until the slide for shut down appears and shut the phone down. after 30 seconds press the power button for 2-3 seconds and release and when phone is up, log in and re-install the xfinity TV Remote app. sign in to the newly installed app. working now?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I tried this and it still didn’t work. I’ve also rebooted my set top box & refreshed the set top box.
Any other suggestions?
Official Employee

djwmiller, are you also using a non X1 DVR? I'd like to investigate. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

New Poster

It doesn’t work
New Poster

Same issue, removed and reinstalled no resolution.
New Poster

My app isn't working either. Started last night. Unable to change the channel. Any screen except the guide will not load. Logged out and then back in. Uninstalled and then reinstalled. As soon as I click on the login page, it brings up the guide but an unknown error pops up. I can't select a default tv. It just directs me back to the login page. It's very frustrating!
New Poster

The same situation at my house where we have 1 DVR upstairs and a non DVR controller down stairs   The cell phone remote app does not work, an error message comes up.  I suspect this is a trial run to gauge how many will be enraged to find out they have to rent another TV controller/DVR for each TV in the household.

There are other options for shows and movies and Comcast customers may be wise to explore other means to get TV and Internet access and avoid a Comcast bill that is becoming ridiculously expensive.

Expert

@PRRT wrote:

The same situation at my house where we have 1 DVR upstairs and a non DVR controller down stairs   The cell phone remote app does not work, an error message comes up.  I suspect this is a trial run to gauge how many will be enraged to find out they have to rent another TV controller/DVR for each TV in the household.

There are other options for shows and movies and Comcast customers may be wise to explore other means to get TV and Internet access and avoid a Comcast bill that is becoming ridiculously expensive.

by remote app do you mean the xfinity TV remote app? your speculation is unclear. what is a TV controller that you are mentioning?

New Poster

Same here! Don't uninstall it just makes it worse. My hubby can at least still get the guide on his phone but mine just logs in and gives me the error retry box. What's up!?
New Poster

Same here. App doesn’t sync with DVR
Expert

@Joemill15 wrote:
Same here. App doesn’t sync with DVR

what do you mean it does not sync with DVR? are you using the TV remote app? do you get an error message/error number? please give more information.

Regular Contributor

Look Rusty, I had problems with this app going back to earlier this year (maybe even last year). It's more or less working well for me right now, but it took a lot of work on my part to get there.

I can tell you that I received conflicting info from the Comcast reps on this site versus the info I received from higher level support.

Higher level told me this was an old app that was getting ready for the trash heap. First level support told me they never heard any such thing.

Low and behold, after MONTHS of working with Comcast, it appears it's now a valid app again.

Clearly people are still having problems with it. For the money we spend every month, we expect a working product.
New Poster

Same issue here. App was working controlling comcast box until i renewed my subscription and now have a dvr.

The problem i think is the app is not detecting my cable box.  How do i get it to recognize the cable box?

282FE723-0D58-4F8E-86B4-B6E3F879F1EC.png

New Poster

We are having this problem as well. I’m wondering if Trading in the X1 box and getting a different one might solve the problem. I did spend some time getting sent up the chain for help and finally they gave me an outage ticket and admitted that it’s a know issue.