Community Forum

Real cost of getting 4K from Comcast

Expert

Real cost of getting 4K from Comcast

After further questioning this week, it now looks like we need a X1 box, plus 4K DVR, plus Comcast supplied Internet, just to view taped versions of some of the Winter Olympics.

I am assuming I am not the only Comcast customer currently carrying a separate high-speed Internet provider than here. I got my 65" Samsung 3D UHD television back in first week of January 2016. My broadband source has allowed me to watch thousands of hours of ultra high definition programing (including live) over various apps (IPV) streaming video in 4k or 1080p (Blu-ray quality).

We shouldn't be required to also pay for their Internet service in addition to needing a 4K DVR just to watch very limited 4K content. Why should we be required to carry two Internet providers, or forced to drop the other.

Comcast actually has a good work-around for this current situation. They had the "Ultra HD Sampler" app maybe run as a Beta version since April 2016. It worked fine for me for all 4k added to the app including the Rio Summer Olympics. The app did not require Internet only from Comcast.

Comcast could easily add an new version of the 4K app for those of us with 4K smart televisions using an alternate broadband provider, and just a HD cable-box (non-dvr) like I currently have. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Real cost of getting 4K from Comcast

Hi MNtundraRET, 

Thanks for providing your feedback. If you'reinterested in getting a 4K box, please reach out in a private message and I would be happy to assist you. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, the phone number, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ComcastChe wrote:

Hi MNtundraRET, 

Thanks for providing your feedback. If you'reinterested in getting a 4K box, please reach out in a private message and I would be happy to assist you. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, the phone number, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services.

ComcastChe:

I will assume you actually read my post. So are you now saying that ComcastAndrew was not correct in saying Comcast Internet would be required to use the 4K DVR?

I also have my latest price list from Comcast which came with my last bill in February 2018. Under Xfinity Internet; no speeds are given for anything in the list except the first Performance Starter (fine print states: Up to 10 Mbps down-load and actually no speed guaranteed). So which one in the list would be required fot 4K streaming? And why aren't Minimum speeds listed for each along with the price?

This is something anyone monitoring this post has a right to see posted here. Thank you for your reply and I am waiting to see my questions answered here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

I never stated Andrew was not correct. Because of this post and the other post that you have about the 4K box and pricing, I wanted to at least provide you with accurate pricing info if you did decide to switch and upgrade. 

Without verifying your account information and the area you live in, I cannot provide the answers you need. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ComcastChe wrote:

I never stated Andrew was not correct. Because of this post and the other post that you have about the 4K box and pricing, I wanted to at least provide you with accurate pricing info if you did decide to switch and upgrade. 

Without verifying your account information and the area you live in, I cannot provide the answers you need. 

I asked for valid information you can give right here. I am in the Mpls./St. Paul area. Current monthly rates.

@Comcast claimed 50 Mbps was required to get 4K on the "Ultra HD Sampler" app. Which do you recommend to everyone you reply too?  Performance Pro @ $79.95/mo.? Blast Pro @ $94.95/mo.?

Highlighted
Official Employee

@MNtundraRET. We consider pricing information, personal information, and insist on taking the conversation into a private message to discuss your available billing rates. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can provide you with a cost estimate. 

Expert

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

@MNtundraRET. We consider pricing information, personal information, and insist on taking the conversation into a private message to discuss your available billing rates. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can provide you with a cost estimate. 

No thank you.  I am looking for acurate published information for real price after promotion periods since that is what really matters.

Official Employee

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

No thank you.  I am looking for acurate published information for real price after promotion periods since that is what really matters.

MNtundraRET, OK let us know if you change your mind. I will say, the 4K box has limited 4K content at this time. Right now, it is limited to NetFlix in 4K (if you pay for the premium service) as well as the Winter Olympics which has concluded. 

KenF

Expert

@ComcastKenF wrote:
@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

MNtundraRET, OK let us know if you change your mind. I will say, the 4K box has limited 4K content at this time. Right now, it is limited to NetFlix in 4K (if you pay for the premium service) as well as the Winter Olympics which has concluded. 

KenF

It's not going to happen. Period!

I'm not "Time traveling back to the past". About 80% of our television time is spent watching UHD over broad-band on the television supplied apps (cable-box not needed), very few commercials, and much better audio on surround sound. DLS on optical cable is more than adequate,  and all devices receiving signals on HDMI cable or over Wifi so most of the old cables are long gone. We also get about 50 channels over the air on our antenna. Keeping cable is getting "iffi" with only 720p being supplied.

Official Employee

MNtundraRET, I understand. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

Expert

@ComcastKenF wrote:

MNtundraRET, I understand. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

Thank you. KenF.