Community Forum

Re: cloud dvr playback skips

New Poster

My cloud DVR skips as well. Only averaging 44 minutes of 60 minute playback. Please help,
Expert

@Stbiron wrote:
My cloud DVR skips as well. Only averaging 44 minutes of 60 minute playback. Please help,

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Stbiron wrote: My cloud DVR skips as well. Only averaging 44 minutes of 60 minute playback. Please help,

Do you have the same issue on all of your recordings? Do you see this problem on your DVR or on the app? 

Regular Visitor

This is an ongoing issue for me. Now I can't even get any of my recordings to even play.
Official Employee

msbrinson wrote: This is an ongoing issue for me. Now I can't even get any of my recordings to even play.

Do you get any error message? Have you tried rebooting your DVR, or removing the app and downloading it again?

Regular Visitor

If you only knew how many times I've reported this issue. I've logged in and out of my account more times than I can remember. I've removed the app and reinstalled it at least half a dozen times. I've tried unplugging the modem. I've tried refreshing the signal. I've had Comcast send updated signal to my box. Now... I'm getting an error message of 3305. It acts like it's not connected to the Internet, but it most certainly is connected to the internet via my home wifi. I've not made any changes inside my house, or to my phone. For whatever reason the Comcast mobile app (Stream) isn't working properly. I've begged repeatedly for this issue to be escalated to an engineer. I have no idea what else to do. But it is making me very very angry. I pay a lot of money for this service. I'm also a single mom... and I want my son to be able to watch his shows and I want to watch mine on my phone... and rigt now I can't. I'm an unhappy customer. 

Official Employee

@msbrinson please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me" and we can look into this for you. 

New Poster

It’s been happening on both in house DVR and on the app. 

Official Employee

Stbiron wrote: It’s been happening on both in house DVR and on the app. 

Thank you for this information, if the DVR and the app have the same issue that means the feed was bad while recording. You should remove current recording and set the box to record the same show again. This should clear up your issue, if you continue to have problems please reach back out to me here.

New Poster

I’ve done that. This happens on all networks and multiple different show?

Official Employee

Stbiron wrote: I’ve done that. This happens on all networks and multiple different show?

It sounds like your issue is similar to those in this post but the skipping occurring on both the DVR and the app on all recordings is different from what the OP posted. We may have to swap out your equipment, to further assist you can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number. 

Official Employee

Hi Jnk0027, I got your PM please reach back out to me there. 

Regular Visitor

Do you know if there is any update on this issue? I am having the same problem, except unlike some of the others in the forum, I only have the steaming service, no box. I just signed up for instant tv service in February specifically for the Cloud DVR Service, and I’ve been suffering so many issues. I called customer service twice in the past two months. I was originally having issues with shows not recording. They did a refresh in February and it seemed to help for about a week or two and then the skipping issue started. I’m to the point where I want a box dvr so I don’t have to deal with this anymore.. but I called yesterday, and they would not provide a box without switching plans..and they would not offer me any new customer plans despite all the issues I am having. They wanted me to switch to an existing customer plan that would significantly raise my bill. I’m overall extremely unhappy with my service and the alternative options I have been given. I am already considering cancelling my extra services (paying $15 extra/mo for additional channels on my package) and going with a different tv streaming service that actually works like YouTube TV.
Expert

@mjp590 wrote:
Do you know if there is any update on this issue? I am having the same problem, except unlike some of the others in the forum, I only have the steaming service, no box. I just signed up for instant tv service in February specifically for the Cloud DVR Service, and I’ve been suffering so many issues. I called customer service twice in the past two months. I was originally having issues with shows not recording. They did a refresh in February and it seemed to help for about a week or two and then the skipping issue started. I’m to the point where I want a box dvr so I don’t have to deal with this anymore.. but I called yesterday, and they would not provide a box without switching plans..and they would not offer me any new customer plans despite all the issues I am having. They wanted me to switch to an existing customer plan that would significantly raise my bill. I’m overall extremely unhappy with my service and the alternative options I have been given. I am already considering cancelling my extra services (paying $15 extra/mo for additional channels on my package) and going with a different tv streaming service that actually works like YouTube TV.

there is a service issue in the Chicago, MN-ST paul area. are you by chance in that area?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Frequent Visitor

Has anyone's service improved?  I've went through the the process of deleting and reinstalling the app and ComcastAmir tried correcting the issue.  I'm still experiencing skipping on the cloud DVR.

Regular Visitor

Indianapolis area.. internet service/connectivity has not been an issue.. main issue is skipping on cloud DVR
New Poster

I have been having the same problem and is getting worse!  Happens on my app and all of my boxes in my house.  I have done systems refreshes and powered off and on everything and STILL have problems with ALL my recordings.

Expert

@Techmomga wrote:

I have been having the same problem and is getting worse!  Happens on my app and all of my boxes in my house.  I have done systems refreshes and powered off and on everything and STILL have problems with ALL my recordings.

the home DVR and cloud DVR use entirely different devices and data streams. the problem might be with the channel and time if a local channel that is put on the cable. have you tried recording another channel and series to see if the problem repeats with the new channel?

New Poster

DVR playback issue is on EVERY channel I record and on ALL boxes in my house.  Tried watching this morning on my computer and isses as well...computer monitor blips and goes black for a few seconds then comes back, but continues to have lines go through all screens on my laptop (2 additional monitors used)  

XFINITY is the worse!!

Expert

@Techmomga wrote:

DVR playback issue is on EVERY channel I record and on ALL boxes in my house.  Tried watching this morning on my computer and isses as well...computer monitor blips and goes black for a few seconds then comes back, but continues to have lines go through all screens on my laptop (2 additional monitors used)  

XFINITY is the worse!!

to isolate the problem go to the TV that has the actual DVR in your home attached. Play back a recording on that DVR that you  have a problem while watching. while it is playing with no menu on the TV press the OK button. is DVR or "cloud icon" DVR showing in upper left corner? be sure to use a recording that is having a problem.

Regular Visitor

I've been having the issue of cloud recordings lopping off the first ~30 minutes of a recorded show and skipping during playback while the recordings on my local DVR are complete and playback fine.  This has become a frequent occurrence with it showing up 3 out of 5 playbacks for the show I playback through the streaming app the most (Morning Joe on MSNBC).  I have removed and reinstalled the Android app to no avail.  Along with streaming on my phone, it shows up on the browser interface and when the program is downloaded to the phone/tablet.  Why are cloud recording experiencing this behaviour and is there anything I can do on my end to mitigate this?

Portland, OR
Expert

@uselessdesire wrote:

I've been having the issue of cloud recordings lopping off the first ~30 minutes of a recorded show and skipping during playback while the recordings on my local DVR are complete and playback fine.  This has become a frequent occurrence with it showing up 3 out of 5 playbacks for the show I playback through the streaming app the most (Morning Joe on MSNBC).  I have removed and reinstalled the Android app to no avail.  Along with streaming on my phone, it shows up on the browser interface and when the program is downloaded to the phone/tablet.  Why are cloud recording experiencing this behaviour and is there anything I can do on my end to mitigate this?

Portland, OR

there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.

Regular Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@uselessdesire wrote:

Portland, OR

there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.

Well, that's less than satisfying.  I'm always trying to stream from the same side of the modem as the DVR (ie. on my home wireless network).  When I have the issue, I know it's taking it from the cloud because the advertising content is not what's on my DVR.  I have noticed that if I stream content that is actively being recorded, I always get content from my home DVR and I don't have any issues.  Is there any way to force the streaming apps to use the local DVR content even when it's not being simultaneously recorded?  That way I don't have to worry about Comcast's inability to adequately balance their server load.

P.S.  Morning Joe broadcasts at 6:00 AM on the East Coast / 3:00 AM West Coast.  I'm suprised that these are "peak times" in the Xfinity Cloud.

PPS.  When I have the issue, I DO NOT see the error message of not being able to play from the DVR but could still view the program On Demand.

Frequent Visitor

So does that mean anyone having this issue is just out of luck?  We just have to ride it out until Comcast gets it's act together with its cloud servers?

New Poster

I just started experiencing this problem. SKips and dropouts when playing back from cloud, but not from the TV connected to the Comcast box. 

Has this been determined to be a server side issue or a box issue?

New Poster

I just talked to the repair guy Comcast sent out. He said that the DVR and the web are playing the same file. The file isn't corrupt. Something about the playback on the apps. 

Expert

@radumas wrote:

I just talked to the repair guy Comcast sent out. He said that the DVR and the web are playing the same file. The file isn't corrupt. Something about the playback on the apps. 

any actual in-house tech will know there are two completely separate DVR (home and cloud) and that your local set top boxes play the local copy while stream app smart devices play the cloud version.

New Poster

Hopefully this can help the Comcast engineers.

The issue has just started happening to me.

It started the day I got the new X1 v4 box. I never had a problem playing back recordings on my iPad with my previous X1 DVR box.

What still works:

- Play recordings on X1 box and TV

- On demand on iOS app

- Live TV on iOS app

What no longer works:

- Play recordings on iOS app

The app displays a 30-minute recording as a ~18-minute recording. Moreover, this is 100% reproducible. It will always skip at the exact same time codes which leads me to believe it's the recording that is busted, not the playback.

New Poster

funny,  I assumed there is a local copy and a cloud copy and the tech person who came out said there is only a cloud copy of recordings. 

New Poster

2000 posts for skipping with no solid answer. Stop hiding the issue Comcast.
New Poster

There’s a few issues. The skipping is one. Not being able to playback or download in the app is another. I’m not a techy but it sounds like there’s issues uploading from the DVR to the cloud. If that doesn’t work properly, nothing else matters. The rest will be hindered. Comcast needs to fix the upload to the cloud. I’ve been having these issues since specifically 6/27/18. All the same errors described in this thread. 100 different things I’ve tried to fix it. Out of my hands.
New Poster

One last thought...I’ve also received a message saying that a fiber line was cut in the area. I suppose I’ll wait for them to find their duct tape and fix it.
Expert

@Tjlillie wrote:
There’s a few issues. The skipping is one. Not being able to playback or download in the app is another. I’m not a techy but it sounds like there’s issues uploading from the DVR to the cloud. If that doesn’t work properly, nothing else matters. The rest will be hindered. Comcast needs to fix the upload to the cloud. I’ve been having these issues since specifically 6/27/18. All the same errors described in this thread. 100 different things I’ve tried to fix it. Out of my hands.

the home DVR has no part in the cloud DVR recording production. a completely separate DVR server records the cloud copy. the issue is the corruption of the recording so any device playing the cloud recording (or downloading) may have issues other than short recordings.

Frequent Visitor

First this issue, now I can't watch anything because "Unfortunately, there's a problem with DVR playback" on EVERY recording!!!  This is ridiculous.  There is zero point in offering this service and charging for this service if it doesn't work.  This is the primary way I watch my recordings.  I asked for a credit last month and got a whopping $7.94.  Get your "stuff" together!

New Poster

It think this site is nothing more than a location to vent our frustrations.
Is anyone at Comcast reading this?