Community Forum

Re: Xfinitystreaming does not work with Chrome Browser? Any Fix information would be appreciated?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinitystreaming does not work with Chrome Browser? Any Fix information would be appreciated?

This is still a problem. On the phone with tech support right now. Three calls last night, transferred up the food chain today, still no answer. I asked them to find this thread and comment on it when they found the answer. Last night one tech told me to call Dell and ask them how to configure my Alien to work with Comcast's website. Wow. No. Just no.

I have now confirmed that it's an issue with their website and not my hardware... and the solution I found actually came from Comcast/Xfinity's website. But their knowledge base and their support team don't have a clue what that answer is. I'll update this post or post again with the solution once customer support stumbles on it. (Yes, that seems silly, but I'm upset that I have to debug their system and they haven't come up with an answer in over a year.)

Cool. Level 4 support just hung up on me. Can't find the solution? Just hang up. Love this company!

Frequent Visitor

SettingsMenu.jpg Screenshot above is when streaming as a GUEST, no such error message when you are logged in and it shows the error message posted by OP.
Chrome menus have changed slightly, with annoying toggle behavior of hiding the feature description when it's not turned on, so I showed the toggle in both positions. All better.

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Hi, SREBelmont. Welcome and thanks for posting. I realize you are attempting to get this to work on Chrome, have you confirmed success with this service on your end through a different browser?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes, internet explorer works.

And, if you had read my last post, Chrome works also... if properly configured.

There are two magic settings, both of which must be turned on, as my screenshot shows.

The sad thing is that someone at Comcast knows this, and coded it into the Watch As Guest flow without communicating it to your knowledge base or your customer flow. Customer Support blew me off two days in a row and I discovered this on my own. Very bad service, very bad internal communication. Not even a "thank you" for posting the solution!

Please mark my previous post as the answer to the question (since it provides the solution) instead of the post previously marked as the answer (since it only says it's broken in other places also).

You're welcome.

Frequent Visitor

I just realized you moved my reply to a previously unanswered thread into a new topic. Why is that? This question was raised a year ago and never answered until now. (One post was marked as the answer, but the OP said that wasn't an answer. Now that thread is closed and my reply on that thread looks like a new question here??)

It's not a new topic, and the OP shows the error screen I saw:
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Xfinitystreaming-does-not-work-with-Chrome-Brow...

Official Employee

It was a very old post that our experts and other members of the community were engaging in. Normally threads that old would have been locked or escalated, as needed within the community to where you wouldn't have been able to reply to it. Since it wasn't locked and should have been, we will move that post and its replies to start a new/current thread and continue engaging there. The screenshot that you posted does show a bit of a different message and I see it provides steps on how to fix it, which is more current than the original post. Please elaborate on what you're referring to regarding the 'Guest' flow. Are you talking about being signed in as a secondary user or do you have a custom name for a specific device of yours?

You're also welcome to review our Community Guidelines here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Guidelines/Xfinity-Forum-Acceptable-Use-Policy/td-p/2618379 for best practices and things of that nature, if you haven't done so already. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Sorry for my tone in prior posts. I had a really bad experience with phone support and found an old unanswered thread and had a bad attitude. No reflection on you. You seem interested in the solution!

"Please elaborate on what you're referring to regarding the 'Guest' flow."

Browse to xfinity.com/stream with cookies on but cleared. Do not log in. Near the top of the screen you will see "watch as guest"... but it vanishes quickly as the rest of the page paints. Scroll down and find that button again, which takes you to "https://www.xfinity.com/stream/browse/free-episodes-movies" with a heading of "select TV shows and movies for guests". Click on the first one, the Simpsons, and you'll see buttons for Get Xfinity and Sign In. Don't click either of them, just click on any episode (like the first one, From Russia Without Love). Chrome will apparently never initially expose the dangerous Flash player which Xfinity requires, so there's an error dialog and you must enable Flash for this session. It says Connecting to your Experience, but does not! Instead, it goes right back to the page where you clicked on From Russia Without Love. CLICK IT AGAIN WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE. Different things happen now. You'll get a FOX logo, the video starts, and then an error saying DRM protected playback is not allowed in Incognito Mode (which every sane person should be using as the default). Open a non-incognito window, do everything above again, including being thrown back to the Simpson's page and clicking on the video link a second time) and you'll get the USEFUL error message I'm attaching to this post. Turn on the two switches I showed in my first screenshot, do it all again, and it will finally work.

If you're not watching as a guest, you won't get that USEFUL error message. Oops. Logging in produces a USELESS error message when you try to view the exact same content. And if you call customer support or post on the community forum you won't get anyone who's ever seen that USEFUL error message. Until now.screenshot.jpg

Frequent Visitor

Just to be clear, without DRM enabled, this is the USELESS error message everyone receives:

screenshot.jpg

Official Employee

I appreciate the extra information. I followed the guest sequence of steps you mentioned and the content played perfectly fine on my end, so I was unable to duplicate the problem with those same steps. It seems that there are some compatibility issues going on here with your Chrome browser and the current settings that are set for it.

If you access the Xfinity Stream portal on a Windows PC, your PC must meet the following minimum requirements. Please check them for me and verify if you'll need to make changes based on the information below.

Browser Plug-Ins and Settings

• Adobe Flash Player version 15.0.0.152 or later (download Flash)
  • JavaScript enabled
  • Cookies enabled

Supported Web Browsers

Thank you.