Community Forum

Re: Xfinity Xi5 TV Box

New Poster

I have an AppleTV. Any plans to allow streaming to them?
Silver Problem Solver

@Merlynmac2 wrote:

No annoucement yet if ever.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Merlynmac2 wrote:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90205212/comcast-is-totally-ok-with-you-not-having-an-xfinity-set-top-bo...

the article seems to say by end of year-ish

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

will this intergration do away with boxes altogether?  when they complete this integration, do you think our premiums will be in hd? will linear programming be streamed at a higher bit rate (similar to directv) 

Expert

@Waqas1 wrote:

will this intergration do away with boxes altogether?  when they complete this integration, do you think our premiums will be in hd? will linear programming be streamed at a higher bit rate (similar to directv) 

nothing has been announced. the bit rate is misleading if you are using that as a quality check as an mpeg 2 stream has a higher bit rate but is just using more data than an identical or better quality mpeg4 (talking about the streaming bit rate). the streams received by Comcast for HD channels is in HEVC which a piece of equipment creates all the HD/SD/streaming device streams (depends on quality of the downstream aka capacity as well as any restrictions on bandwidth as used on some cell data carriers (that restrict rate to SD like 480p. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I go by the eye test.... stand alone apps... directv... dish... psvue all have much higher quality than xfinity.... not to mention... you can go on AVS forums and they will tell you the same thing.... Xfinity has the poorest video quality out of any major cable satellite provider... just like every major provider has just about every premium channel feed in HD except Xfinity of course
Regular Contributor

Realistically,

This is the age old question.  This is 2018 and yet xfinity can't get their premium feeds in HD.  EXCUSES EXCUSES... QAM THIS....  Thier linear feed has been downgraded to 720p.. their PRICES RISE but their video quality does not! 

I just got done with a trial of PSVUE, Directvnow, (my place won't let me get sat) and they blew xfinitys picture quality out of the water.  

Expert

@Waqas1 wrote:

Realistically,

This is the age old question.  This is 2018 and yet xfinity can't get their premium feeds in HD.  EXCUSES EXCUSES... QAM THIS....  Thier linear feed has been downgraded to 720p.. their PRICES RISE but their video quality does not! 

I just got done with a trial of PSVUE, Directvnow, (my place won't let me get sat) and they blew xfinitys picture quality out of the water.  

with current QAM the change to 720p60 is a great upgrade. 

Regular Contributor

Having the majority of your premium channels in SD is also an upgrade yet 4k is supposedly around the "corner" 

Expert

@Waqas1 wrote:

Having the majority of your premium channels in SD is also an upgrade yet 4k is supposedly around the "corner" 

broadcast TV is likely to skip 4k and go directly to 8k. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: ... with current QAM the change to 720p60 is a great upgrade.

How is downrezzing 1080 to 720 an "upgrade"? How is reducing an image with 2.1 megapixels down to an image with 0.9 megapixels an "upgrade"?

Calling a format change that slashes image detail by more than 50% a "great upgrade" is an abuse of language.

Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote: ... with current QAM the change to 720p60 is a great upgrade.

How is downrezzing 1080 to 720 an "upgrade"? How is reducing an image with 2.1 megapixels down to an image with 0.9 megapixels an "upgrade"?

Calling a format change that slashes image detail by more than 50% a "great upgrade" is an abuse of language.

1080i (interlaced) takes 2 frames (only 30 pic per second) and estimates interframe movement blurring all movement. there are only 1/2 of the lines when added together of data so 1080/2 = 540 lines of data. the system was designed for CRT (television screen glass tubes). 720p60 is 60 full frames of data (still pictures) per second and 720 is greater than 540. Since no one broadcasts commercially at 1080p (which would be better than 720p), 720p60 is the best at the moment for cable. without a doubt streaming will improve (see netflix/amazon) streaming resolution. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: ... there are only 1/2 of the lines when added together of data so 1080/2 = 540 lines of data. ...

Why would there by "only 1/2 of the lines"? That's abusing numbers as well as language. It's not 1080/2 = 540, it's 540 * 2 = 1080, and 1080 is more than 720, just like 2.1 megapixels is more than 0.9 megapixels.

Highlighted
Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote: ... there are only 1/2 of the lines when added together of data so 1080/2 = 540 lines of data. ...

Why would there by "only 1/2 of the lines"? That's abusing numbers as well as language. It's not 1080/2 = 540, it's 540 * 2 = 1080, and 1080 is more than 720, just like 2.1 megapixels is more than 0.9 megapixels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvh0iH2xSg demonstrates the difference. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvh0iH2xSg demonstrates the difference. 

Not really. The author of the video states as his opinion that somehow, half of the lines of a 1080i image are "not there", but offers no actual proof of this. His presentation is especially questionable when applied to a digital display panel rather than a CRT.

I repeat my original point: 0.9 megapixels is less than half of 2.1 megapixels, and this reduction in resolution is NOT a "great upgrade".