Community Forum

Re: Online streaming recorded shows skipping

New Poster

I have been having the same problems with DVR recordings skipping when viewing online. My experience has been that this problem happens on programs recorded on every channel I have tried. It happens from my place of work which has a t1 line. It also happens when I download a dvr program to my Ipad. It happens with recordings I have from 2 months ago. It has happened with brand new shows, older reruns, and live late night television. You can tell there is a problem by looking at the program length. A DVR recording will have commercials so it should be 56-60 minutes. Instead, these shows are 25-30 minutes in length. In closing, this is a problem with the xfinity/comcast technology. Not a wireless issue. Not a bandwidth issue. It is not a device or operating system problem. I have tried all of this. Apple, microsoft it is the same with all. This is an xfinity problem. The way this technology works is very taxing on their system. I would think that may be at least part of the issue.

Expert

jgreglewis wrote:

I have been having the same problems with DVR recordings skipping when viewing online. My experience has been that this problem happens on programs recorded on every channel I have tried. It happens from my place of work which has a t1 line. It also happens when I download a dvr program to my Ipad. It happens with recordings I have from 2 months ago. It has happened with brand new shows, older reruns, and live late night television. You can tell there is a problem by looking at the program length. A DVR recording will have commercials so it should be 56-60 minutes. Instead, these shows are 25-30 minutes in length. In closing, this is a problem with the xfinity/comcast technology. Not a wireless issue. Not a bandwidth issue. It is not a device or operating system problem. I have tried all of this. Apple, microsoft it is the same with all. This is an xfinity problem. The way this technology works is very taxing on their system. I would think that may be at least part of the issue.

HI, I moved your post to a separate thread on the forum and have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

jgreglewis, have you verified that the DVR'ed show on the box has the full episode recorded? 

Have you tried resycning the cable box too? 

If you've checked all this, you can shoot me a private message with your full name and phone number associated with your account so I can take a closer look. 

KenF

New Poster

We are having a similar issue. 60 min long shows are showing up as 45-49 minutes. The shows skip randomly within the recording. This has only been happening for the last two weeks. We notice it both when using the app on our ipads/iphones and on the DVR itself. We have plenty of space on the DVR. So, we don't think that is the issue.

Is there anything we can do? 

Thanks,

Joe

Expert

jldeweese wrote:

We are having a similar issue. 60 min long shows are showing up as 45-49 minutes. The shows skip randomly within the recording. This has only been happening for the last two weeks. We notice it both when using the app on our ipads/iphones and on the DVR itself. We have plenty of space on the DVR. So, we don't think that is the issue.

Is there anything we can do? 

Thanks,

Joe

yes. Could you follow the directions in the post directly above your post (by ComcastKenF)?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

Im having the same issue. Can you help.

Angela Friend
Expert

Ang1014 wrote:
Im having the same issue. Can you help.

Angela Friend

please read and follow the post 3 above yours from the Comcast official employee.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue with every show I record. It shows the correct amount of time being recorded. But it seems to skip through the program. It's basically impossible to follow any show on the DVR. When you say re-sync your box...what do you mean? The Roku?
New Poster

yeah mine does it too. I'm trying to watch recorded tv shows and they all skip time considerably. 

Expert

did you follow the directions in the January 11, 2018 post above from ComcastKenF ?

New Poster

To re-sync your box? Does he mean the roku?
Expert

Lorihearl wrote:
To re-sync your box? Does he mean the roku?

yes

New Poster

I have the same problems playing it my shows with my XFinity App on my IPad, IPhone, and MacBook. It’s not my service problem. This is an overall APP issue. It has affected every single one of my shows and has made the Recording options useless to me.
Expert

wrote:
I have the same problems playing it my shows with my XFinity App on my IPad, IPhone, and MacBook. It’s not my service problem. This is an overall APP issue. It has affected every single one of my shows and has made the Recording options useless to me.

HI, are you by chance in CA or Chicago-MN-St Paul area?

Official Employee

Hi everyone, 

Please make sure your app is update to date. Then try the following:

Please uninstall and reinstall.

Then try rebooting your cable box.

If this doesn't improve anything, then please send me a private message.

New Poster

Mine has been doing the same thing for the last few weeks. On the app and on a desktop computer. I reinstalled the app and refreshed the cable box.
Regular Visitor

We are having this same issue, and we have restarted the DVR numerous times.  FYI, the skips in the recordings are the same whether we are watching the recorded programs on a PC, the app, or on the DVR itself.  One tech I spoke with said our modem was outdated and to swap it for a new one thinking that might have been the issue.  But, that has not helped.  I would send a PM to ComcastKen, but the forum guidleines say to never send an unsolicited PM, plus the PM page doesn't open so I can send one to him even if I try to.  Any help we could get would be much appreciated.  

New Poster

How do you re-sync the box?  I am having the same issue. 

New Poster

I am having this issue when watching the DVR'ed show straight from my home on Comcast.  Any suggestions?  The January update seems to be directed toward re-syncing the cable box and Roku.  

New Poster

Did you get any type of response on this?  I've found the same to be true for mine!

New Poster

Same thing here in Tennessee!

Everything recorded on iPad or iPhone skips every few minutes. Sure becomes completely unwatchable! 

Expert

@stranger2 wrote:

Same thing here in Tennessee!

Everything recorded on iPad or iPhone skips every few minutes. Sure becomes completely unwatchable! 

look at @ComcastKenF post of 2/3 above your post for assistance.

New Poster

I watch my DVR recordings from my PC and I'm having the same issue with the skipping during playback.  I've tried resetting my cable box, modem/router, and restarting my computer.  Updates happen automatically on the PC.  No change.  I've tried to PM you, but it doesn't let me.

New Poster

Does anyone have any new info on this problem? Why do the comcast people insist on helping with a PM? We ALL need to see the solution to this.

New Poster

This has been happening for months. Very random and all shows whether on the device or web browser. It's the recording file for sure because it skips in the same spots on each device and misses anywhere from :10 to 4:00 making things unwatchable.

New Poster

Have the same problem with recordings skipping. Have been following thread and noticed Xfinity went silent. TYPICAL!
New Poster

STILL HAVING THIS ISSUE! Went up to Tier 3 support, sent a tech out, blah blah blah. Our new stream service is absolute garbage. Our recordings skip and don't record our whole episodes. Live TV skips and subtitles will pop up out of nowhere. I don't think this BETA was ready to roll out and we are all guinea pigs. Canceling tomorrow. I have no other option. I have about 1800 ticket numbers and a direct line to some super-duper tech team supposedly. Still nothing. Over it. It's been a month with no solution. There is absolutely nobody at Comcast that can help you!!!! TRUST ME!!! 

New Poster

I have this issue too.  Is's been happening for the last 2-3 weeks. It is with random shows and watching on different boxes or streaming. I have updated the system multiple times, deleted shows from recording list and adding them again and nothing. 

It is so frustrating, in the middle of a show it just jumps to 20 minutes later. 

Expert

@naco85 wrote:

I have this issue too.  Is's been happening for the last 2-3 weeks. It is with random shows and watching on different boxes or streaming. I have updated the system multiple times, deleted shows from recording list and adding them again and nothing. 

It is so frustrating, in the middle of a show it just jumps to 20 minutes later. 

there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.