Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Re: DVR download keeps resetting

Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same problem. I'm also in the Boulder CO area. Downloads will start and then they just jump back to zero. The problem has gotten worse over the last 2-3 months. At this point nothing will download. I've done a hard reset on my iPad, uninstalled/reinstalled the app, power cycled (unplugged) my DVR. My internet works great and I have plenty of memory on my iPad. 

The app seems to be heading in the wrong direction. First downloads would succeed but the audio would be out of sync and sometimes jump randomly in time, then more downloads started failing, now nothing will download. Any other ideas?  Maybe a service problem in the Boulder area?

This is hugely frustrating as it's a great service offering and differentiator when it works. 

Problem Solver

Hi Tom

So sorry you're having this issue. Does the program you're trying to download play back properly (before downloading, just streaming)? There are a couple things that could cause a download to fail and retry again from the beginning—one of them being that some of the video files necessary for playback are missing. If the recording itself is busted, that could be the problem. If that's not it, if you can give me an idea of when the latest issue occurred, I might be able to find the download in the logs and see why it failed.

LHC

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes, the app streams the same recording fine.  Just downloads are failing.

Problem Solver

Ok. Can you please give me an idea of when you last encountered this problem so we can look for your download in the logs?

LHC

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I tried it between 1pm and 2pm MST today.
Problem Solver

Hey Tom

Found your multiple attempts to download in the logs. The download failed because more than 1% of the video fragments were missing (that's our current threshold for failing the entire download). We're having a discussion right now about whether 1% is still the right threshold, while also checking with our production support team to investigate why the video fragments are missing from your recording in the first place.

I'm sorry for the trouble. :-(

LHC 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, it appears that multiple video files have this problem. Pretty much every DVR recording I try is failing. The strange thing is it doesn't fail at the same point on every try. If the file is missing video segments wouldn't it fail at the same place every time?

The missing video segments do make sense as prior to the downloads failing I had issues with videos skipping on playback.
Problem Solver

It depends on where the failure is (there are several steps in the video delivery process).

OnDemand versions of the programs you're having trouble with may be available; to download, you'll obviously need a downloadable TV Go version. To see other playback options, you can either [a] delete the problematic recordings, or [b] go to Settings and turn off the Play Best Available option. When you go to the entity screen for the show (either by searching for it by title or tapping the Info button on a listing or recording), all available viewing options will appear when you tap Watch. If more than one download option is available, they'll be presented when you tap Download.

LHC

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately I travel a lot and really need downloadable versions which most of the programs do not have. It would be great to get a resolution on the issue with the recordings.
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Wanted to see if there was any information on why the frames are missing on my files?  I'm still having the problem and haven't been able to use the download service.  Should I open up a support case?

Thanks!

Official Employee

Hello @tom5280. We are still working on a fix in the back end. I am going to try to get an update for you here soon. Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee

Hello tom5280.

After speaking with our Product Team, this has become a known issue that our engineering group is actively studying to resolve. There is no ETR as to when we will be able to resolve this issue. 

We certainly appreciate your patience in the matter. 

New Poster

Are people still having issues?  I have been trying to download a newly recorded movie.  It gets to 90% then just restarts.  My device (iPad has 10GB available) and has been reset.  Also does the same thing on my iPhone which has 40GB free.  Very disappointing.

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately I'm still having the issue.  In addition now sometimes the download completes but the resultant video on the device is not good.  It looks like they made it more tolerant to download with some missing frames, but the missing frames make the video jump scenes and make it unwatchable.  This was such a great product and it's really gone in the dumps the last 6-9 months.

New Poster

I am having the same issues on my iPad and Samsung 7Edge. I tried last year and again the last few days. It will go to 100% and then start over from 0%.

Frequent Visitor

It would be great to get a response from Comcast.  I just had the issue happen again with a recent video.  It's been going on since last August seems like it's time for a fix...

Expert

I have asked this topic to be looked into again by Official Comcast Employees. 

Official Employee

Hello all,

Can I please some examples (movie/show title) of failed to download content? 

Thank you in advance.

Frequent Visitor

The most current instance I had of the problem was the season finale of the walking dead. DVR’d in late Dec and tried to download last week. Kept hanging/resetting in the first 3-6%.
Official Employee

@tom5280 - Thank you for the example. Have you noticed issues with On Demand assets or only with the recorded ones?  

Frequent Visitor

any fix here yet?

Expert

wrote:

any fix here yet?

I don't see where you have detailed any problem in this thread. What problems are you having (specifically)?

Frequent Visitor

I’ve only seen it with DVR recordings. A Comcast employee responded several months ago that the problem related to missing frames in the Dvr recording and they were aware of the problem and working on it.  Not sure if the problem is on the DVR side or the mobile app but it keeps happening and needs to be fixed. 

Official Employee

@raymondkavlick and @tom5280 - Do you get an error message when you try to stream the recording (not downloaded one)? 

Frequent Visitor

I do not have any errors when streaming the recording.  There is only a problem when I attempt to download it to my device for offline watching.

Frequent Visitor

Sometimes I’ve noticed minor hiccups/glitched in the stream which jive with what the previous Comcast rep said that the recording is missing frames. Seems like when that happens the stream app can’t adjust to it and just gives up on the download. Not sure if the fix needs to be on the DVR side to create better recordings or on the mobile side to be more tollerant or likely both.
Expert

wrote:
Sometimes I’ve noticed minor hiccups/glitched in the stream which jive with what the previous Comcast rep said that the recording is missing frames. Seems like when that happens the stream app can’t adjust to it and just gives up on the download. Not sure if the fix needs to be on the DVR side to create better recordings or on the mobile side to be more tollerant or likely both.

for testing, record a 30 minute episode (to keep it short) and then try to download the recording. Also, the only time I had a problem downloading, I rebooted my phone and the the downloads then resumed successfully downloading.

Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure I understand your response.  This does not happen on every recording and doesn't need to be tested.  If you look back up to the top of the thread Comcast actually reviewed the logs from the failed/resetting downloads and verfied the problem.  They said it was a bug they were researching and needed to be fixed.  It's just that it's stayed open for a year and still not fixed.  My guess is that certain people have more challenged DVRs or signal issues that cause hiccups/lost frames in the DVR recording.  Those recording then can't be downloaded.  Again comcast verified the missing frames and talked about increasing the tollerance of the mobile app for these.  I'm not sure what I can or need to do regarding my DVR so less of my recording have these glitches if that also needs a fix or a replacement DVR or has intermitant signal issues, I need guidance from comcast on that.

With all likelihood recording a 30 min show and downloading it will work fine.  About 80% of my recordings have no issue, the other 20% is frustrating.

Official Employee

@tom5280 - There are 2 separate issues - corrupted recordings and failed downloads. If you cannot stream the recording, it could be caused by issues with the Cloud Manager that we have in certain markets. Furthermore, if you cannot "live" stream the recording - you won't be able to download it. Now, the other issue that we are currently investigating - failed downloads. When customers can stream recording but cannot download or view it after the download. Yes, it could be caused by the issues with the Cloud Manager; however, we have noticed that in most cases we see issues with the Android devices only.

In your original post, you have mentioned that you have an iPad. Could you please provide the recent example of failed download? I send those examples to our App Development team, they check what caused an issue, so we can narrow down the issue to Cloud Manager or App/Platform.  

Frequent Visitor

The most recent example I have is a few weeks back of the walking dead season finale. If you scroll back through the last few posts you will see the details which I responded to someone’s request for an example.

My issues appear to be directly related to the quality of the recordings. While I’m not prevented from streaming them I do see very minor glitches (freezes and skips) at points in those recordings. Those are the same recordings that won’t download at all. They hit a certain percentage and restart.
Official Employee

@tom5280 - I only see 2 episodes of "Fear the Walking Dead" in December. I need more recent examples (if you have any). My apologies for the inconvenience but in order to get help from the engineering team, I have to provide as many examples as I can. You can send me those in a private message. 

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately the recording in question has already been deleted.  It was The Walking Dead.  If they can't go back and review historical logs then I have no other examples.  I don't have any other recent examples as I haven't largely been using the feature due to the unreliability.  I am a bit frustrated as several examples were provided almost a year ago when this problem started and they indicated they reviewed them and understood the problem and were working on a fix.  I also provide a recent example a month ago when asked which apparently wasn't looked at and now it's been deleted.  I am trying to help towards a resolution, but the responsiviness hasn't been there.

Official Employee

@tom5280 - I understand your side of view as a customer and I'm sorry that you had so many issues with the recordings. However, the issue could be the same every time but from the backend, the cause could be different. This is the reason why we constantly ask for examples. I did check your examples but we can't do much with the deleted recording. 

New Poster

I am having the same issue where about 20% of the time my downloads will only get to a certain point and then they restart again over and over from 0%.  Most recent was multiple tries last night and this morning to download “Get Out” from my DVR to my Android tablet and to my iPad.  Both seem to fail after reaching about 80%.  Can you please look at your logs for this?  The recorder was just done by my DVR yesterday.  Thanks.

Expert

@Gpwelsh99 wrote:

I am having the same issue where about 20% of the time my downloads will only get to a certain point and then they restart again over and over from 0%.  Most recent was multiple tries last night and this morning to download “Get Out” from my DVR to my Android tablet and to my iPad.  Both seem to fail after reaching about 80%.  Can you please look at your logs for this?  The recorder was just done by my DVR yesterday.  Thanks.

the download comes from the cloud DVR and not from the home DVR. Does the recording play as a stream or fails at around the same point as the download fails? Does the home DVR copy play normally?

New Poster

Follow up to my last post just above. I am having the same issue at 91% this morning when trying to download “Real Time with Bill Maher” to my iPad.

New Poster

I am not at home right now to test the playback on the home DVR, but streaming it from my home DVR to my iPad works fine.  I watched the last 10 minutes of  60 minute Real Time and it was fine, and that was the one that fails to download around 91%.

Expert

@Gpwelsh99 wrote:

I am not at home right now to test the playback on the home DVR, but streaming it from my home DVR to my iPad works fine.  I watched the last 10 minutes of  60 minute Real Time and it was fine, and that was the one that fails to download around 91%.

the X1 home DVR is not involved nor use in downloading. The cloud DVR is where the files come from when you download or stream.

New Poster

Good to know that the downloads come from the cloud DVR, but I am still hoping that a Comcast/Xfinity employee can check the logs to see why the downloads are failing.  They asked above for examples, so that is what I am trying to provide here, since several of my download attempts have failed in the last 24 hours with two different devices.  They need to figure out what is wrong with the Cloud DVR if that is where the downloads come from, since apparently I am not the only one having frequent issues with the download functionality.  Thanks.

Expert

@Gpwelsh99 wrote:

Good to know that the downloads come from the cloud DVR, but I am still hoping that a Comcast/Xfinity employee can check the logs to see why the downloads are failing.  They asked above for examples, so that is what I am trying to provide here, since several of my download attempts have failed in the last 24 hours with two different devices.  They need to figure out what is wrong with the Cloud DVR if that is where the downloads come from, since apparently I am not the only one having frequent issues with the download functionality.  Thanks.

for techs to diagnose first don't delete the file. deleting then restoring destroys the records they have to check. does the file play normally when streamed (not downloaded) on the smart device or desk/laptop? does the in home DVR play the title correctly?