Community Forum

Pause Live TV on Xfinity Instant TV Beta (Roku) removed ?

Frequent Visitor

Pause Live TV on Xfinity Instant TV Beta (Roku) removed ?

Why has the feature to pause live tv been removed? I know it worked on previous versions of Xfinity Stream.

This is an essential feature.  It is a feature that without it,  would drive me away from using Comcast Xfinity services.

Seriously , we are 5 days shy of 2019 and I can't even pause the tv to go to the bathroom!

Expert

Re: Pause Live TV on Xfinity Instant TV Beta (Roku) removed ?

@jmsfll wrote:

Why has the feature to pause live tv been removed? I know it worked on previous versions of Xfinity Stream.

This is an essential feature.  It is a feature that without it,  would drive me away from using Comcast Xfinity services.

Seriously , we are 5 days shy of 2019 and I can't even pause the tv to go to the bathroom!

I moved your post to the Stream TV app area of the forum. the Roku has no memory to store a buffer. hit record when you are away and then find and play the recording in progress.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response and moving it to the correct place.

So its a hardware limitation of the Roku hardware, strange...

It's a shame that Roku (and Samsung smart tvs) is the only place that Xfinity TV is supported.

Older versions that work on android have pause live tv option, though I think the FF/Rewind does not work well.    The problem is they lack the mini guide which I would rather have.  And of course the other problem is that Comcast does not official support it now on Android / Amazon TV boxes.  I also noticed older versions had the ability to change channels while watching either by entering numbers or up, down toggle, another essential feature removed.

I do love the mini guide, and if Comcast takes that away in a future release I am throwing in the towel. It is essential to be able to change channels while watching.   On a pc, you can kind of do this by using the mini player. 

Not sure why it is taking so long for this app to be restricted to the Roku and Samsung.

Frequent Visitor

Your answer about lack of buffer is strange consider ing I can pause live tv in other apps(channels).  For example, as I type this, NBC is broadcasting Jimmy Fallon live.    If I view it in the NBC app on the ROKU  I can pause the live broadcast, however if I view it in Xfinity app, I cannot pause it.  I find it very odd the developers at Comcast owned NBC can figure a workaround to Roku's "buffer" issue but Comcast developers are baffled by this technical challenge.

Even in a browsers on Windows (which has the storage /memory for buffers galore) the pause feature is awful.  You have to stop the video, and it takes time to reload, and it does not even resume in the same place

Your record workaround suggestion would work if there was record button in the live streaming, but you have to back out of the playing video, very very inconvienient.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I guess Comcast employees have no interest in this thread

Frequent Visitor

Was also able to test this on the Samsung app and no pause functionality either

Expert

@jmsfll wrote:

Was also able to test this on the Samsung app and no pause functionality either

it wasn't removed it never existed (no buffer to use to store data). the workaround is to record and play back the recording in real time which allows you to pause.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Confused if there is no buffer why are other apps such as NBC able to pause live tv?

Is there a quicker way to record from the live tv viewing screen and then to watch?

Expert

@jmsfll wrote:

Confused if there is no buffer why are other apps such as NBC able to pause live tv?

Is there a quicker way to record from the live tv viewing screen and then to watch? 

NBC is allowing you to control their stream from their server. 2nd part, no have to record from the set top box if you have them.

Frequent Visitor

I still think Xfinity needs to do way better with their Instant TV apps.   Its been in beta for so long.  I will likely switch internet providers when my contract is up because it is so limiting.   Just the fact that you can do a workaround by recording demonstrates that it is technically feasible because you can treat every channel tuned as a temp recording behind the scenes

A new defect I discovered today is that the Xfinity beta app on Samsung , doesn't have a FAVORITES option on its list of channels.   There is a thread I found on here from FIVE months ago and the solution is that its in beta.    Pretty lame.

New Poster

I just ditched youtube tv because I felt it was over using all my broadband.  That was on an app with Roku, and it could pause live tv.  Dissappointed that xfinity app can't.  It's like going back in time.