Community Forum

One channel has sound issues.

New Poster

One channel has sound issues.

One of our channels in my area, channel 13, has a problem where the sound fades in and out. It happens in waves and it has been going on contastanly for weeks. I am giving feedback for the beta and hoping for a solution to this issue.
Expert

Re: One channel has sound issues.

@Shawn_S wrote:
One of our channels in my area, channel 13, has a problem where the sound fades in and out. It happens in waves and it has been going on contastanly for weeks. I am giving feedback for the beta and hoping for a solution to this issue.

are you speaking of the Roku beta Xfinity stream channel? are you saying the problem is that the station's audio is slowly getting louder and softer during program playback? did you try watching at the same time on another device (when having problems) to see if the other device is having the same problem? Other than live TV being broadcast the recording levels are set at time of production of the programming and the broadcast station/Comcast have no input into that volume level. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Having the same problem.   Only channel 13 has fuzzy or static sound when using Roku stick and Xfinity streaming app.   Does not happen all the time.   It is sporatic.   The next day all is fine.   Happens on all devices using Roku stick and Xfinity streaming app.   All other channels are fine when this happens.   There is no problem on the TV connected directly to calble box, only the streaming ones.

Official Employee

todayquick, thanks for taking the time to alert us about the issue with the streaming app channel. Does the fuzziness happen when the channel is recorded on the cable box and then played on the app or only via live TV on the app? Is the reception issues present on the XFINITY Stream website? 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Live TV.  No problems playing back recorded shows.

Official Employee

Gotcha, thanks for confirming. Have you attempted to remove the channel from the Roku app? Try this out:

1. Restart Roku 
2. Uninstall XFINITY Stream app 
3. Restart Roku 
4. Install XFINITY Stream app 
5. Restart Roku 

What device are you using to stream content besides roku? 

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

will give that a try.   We only use the Roku stick for streaming.  Nothing else.   May be several days before the issue reappears it this does not work.   Will let you know.

Official Employee

Sounds like a plan! I'll check back in on you on Tuesday to see if the issue returned! 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

Issue returned today.   I followed your instructions about deleting the app, reinstalling it, etc. on one TV but not the other so I could compare if it happened again.   Both TV's again had the static/fuzzy sound for channel 13 (1013).   So it appears that your suggestion did not work.  Seems odd that it is only one channel?

Official Employee

Ok, thanks for trying that for us and it is odd that it is just the one channel. For troubleshooting purposes, have you attempted to see if you experience this on Xfinity Stream website https://www.xfinity.com/stream/ as well? 

Frequent Visitor

Yes, we experience the same thing if we use the website you listed.   Fuzzy and static sound.   Happening more and more frequently.  Almost every day.   Makes the channel virtually unsuable with the streaming app!  Very disapointing!!

Official Employee

I appreciate you checking that for me! I am checking to see if this has been reported as a known issue or not. Can you please confirm the network name of this channel? 

Frequent Visitor

For us in Pendleton, Indiana it is WTHR / WTHRD   (the NBC affiliate.)  Channel 13 / 1013

Official Employee

Ok, I would like to further troubleshoot this on my end and get this information forwarded to the correct team is necessary. Can you please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different? 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message. 

New Poster

I have same issue with channel 13
New Poster

It is intermittent as well. The next time it happens I will check on a ruku tv that is direct not a stick
Official Employee

Hello @Leechayes, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this issue on the one channel. Yes, if you could please check on that next time that would be great. I can also run some diagnostic on my end in the meantime as well. Please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different.

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message. 

New Poster

WTHR 13 (nbc) out of Indianapolis on my dvr set and app have static on some programming. Frustrated! Any help appreciated.
Official Employee

@Kap47201, Thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing static on this channel and I would be more than happy to assist you with this. I have responded to your private message if you could please get back to me at your earliest convenience. 

Frequent Visitor

Weird!  I am in Blacksburg, VA and, since yesterday, we've seen the audio dropping on two different Roku sticks on one specific channel - 810, NBC!!!

As an FYI, we are also using the streaming app on a Sharp TV, but it does not have the same issue!

New Poster

We have a sharp tv and still have intermittent. But ironically have not had the issue since I started this thread
Frequent Visitor

I called XFinity about this problem today and they said that I was the first call they had received (not sure if that means for my area, or what).  We still have no audio on the NBC channel, although everything else is okay.  I have noticed that this even affects a recording of that channel, which I did not expect.  It also is affecting audio on XFinity streamed on a PC, or on an iPad, but not my Sharp TV or the X1 DVR box.

It does seem to be related, somehow, to SAP as I can hear (faint) audio if I flip SAP on (with loud music), but nothing if it is off.

New Poster

Interesting. My sharp tv with a Roku stick and my Sony with a Roku stick both had issues today but simultaneously my Roku tv without a stick did not have any issues All 3 TVs are off the same WiFi feed into the Xfinity stream app. I hope this helps tech support figure out what’s going on
New Poster

I occasionally have this problem with this one channel using Roku.  Now a new problem with the same channel.  Sound is on for about 5 seconds and then stops.  All other channels are OK.  Comcast owns NBC, Seems like they would want to fix this.  The result for me is to change to other programming and not watch NBC.

New Poster

Same thing last night.
Frequent Visitor

That is what happens to me when I tune NBC on the Roku stick - sound stays on about 5-15 seconds, then a bit of a pop and it goes off.  And, my reaction is the same as well (change to another channel).

New Poster

Ok KENF and AMIRA ... your both official comcast employees.... You have heard from a number of source customers that there is an issue, this isolates the problem to the Xfinity side not  the user side.

What have you done to report the problem?

What have you done to escalate the problem for repair?

What have you done to notifiy your Director or VP of the continued unresolved problem?

Most important, when will it be fixed?

New Poster

I am also having the same issue with WTHR on my tv with xfinity streaming using the Roku over the last two days. Have sound for 10-20 seconds and then cuts out completely. Only on WTHR.
New Poster

We also have this problem the last few days with channel 13 WTHR from Indianapolis. Sound goes off after a few seconds on All Roku sticks and also UOS stream app on all IOS devices. Only this channel and any recorded on this channel. 

I see this problem has been there before but have found no fix for it.

Frequent Visitor

The fix I have found that works (ALTHOUGH WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS) is as soon as you select the channel and the channel appears on the TV, you may have 3-4 choices along the lower right corner.   Select the SAP choice and the sounds remains on without a problem.

New Poster

I have the same issue. Only WTHR/NBC out of Indianapolis has the issue. Sound works for about 30 secs, then goes mute. I only have live TV. I tried restarting the Roku, removing Xfinity Beta, restarting, adding Xfinity Beta, then restarting again. It's been happening for days. Someone let me know.
New Poster

OMG. The SAP trick worked. Thank you thank you thank you.

Ps. Come on Comcast, you have got figure this out.
Official Employee

Hello all! I appreciate all of your feedback related to this sound concern on the one specific channel. I have forwarded this information to the correct team to have it further looked into and investigated. @todayquick, I appreciate the workaround you have provided in the meantime. Once we have an update or any feedback around this, we will update this thread as soon as possible. I appreciate everyone's patience and working with us while we get to the bottom of this. Thank you! 

New Poster

Thank you for your fix.  Having to choose SAP (Audiotrack Spanish) is very inconvenient, but worked for me.  

Frequent Visitor

NBC is working for me today on the Roku, on one TV at least 

Official Employee

@BBurgDave, thanks for reaching out and providing this update. Our production team is further looking into this to determine the cause. I will reach out ASAP once I have any feedback or update to provide. Thanks for everyone's continued patience with this. 

New Poster

I am in the indy area and have the same problem. Audio is either very distorted or it cuts out after about a minute. Only local NBC Channel 1013. Xfinity tried to help. Their fix was shortlived. Problem returned. Only solution that works for me is to turn SAP to Spanish.
New Poster

I am also having this issue with WTHR 13 out if Indianapolis IN. It also will go mute after about 30 secs. If you click SAP, it will work until the next time you use it.
New Poster

Same problem i have. Sevetal months ago I had a similar audionissue with ABC.
New Poster

We have the same issue with NBC channel 3 in Chattanooga TN. It started yesterday.  Sound is there then drops after about 30-45 seconds.  All other channels are fine.  It does this on both our TVs with Roku stick.  Never had this problem before.  Very frustrating.

New Poster

I'm having the exact same problem. Channel 13 WTHR only, terrible buzzing loud audio on both Roku/Xfinity Stream, and on X1 box.  SAP fixes, but this is not the answer for DVR recordings.  If you're not there to pick SAP, your recording is made with the either the buzzing audio, or no audio at all, depending upon which issue is prevailing at that moment.  I've only been with Comcast for 2 months (former 'cut-the-corder'), and am now wishing I'd stayed with OTA.  Forturnately my antennna is still up, and I have a backup source for NBC programing.  Sure hoping that Xfinity can fix this one soon.

Regular Visitor

This started for me on Saturday. NBC will work for about 30 seconds before a small "glitch" and then the sound goes completely out. All TV's, all Roku through Xfinity Stream Beta. Tried channels 12 and 1013, both are NBC (Indianapolis).
Official Employee

Hello all, I first want to thank you for reaching out to inform us that you are also experiencing this sound issue on the one channel. I do offer my deepest apologies for any inconvenience or frustration this may be causing. We are still actively working on figuring out the cause of this issue so that it can be resolved. Once I have an update, I will be reaching out ASAP to provide that to you. Thanks for all of your continued patience with this. 

Official Employee

Hello all, I hope your week is going well so far! I'm following up to inform you that the sound issue with this specific NBC channel has been resolved. The issue was related to a known Pillar bug that has since been patched out. Thanks for all of the information you guys provided and working with us until we got this corrected. If you are still experiencing this issue on your end, please send me a Private Message including your name as it appears on the account. I am more than happy to further assist! Please be sure to create a new Public post for any new issues or concerns, we're here to help. 

New Poster

Working perfectly now. Thank you for the resolution and update. Much apprecaited.

MBall

Official Employee

@mball23, I am so happy to hear this and I very much appreciate you reaching back out to update this thread with that information. Thank you! 

New Poster

Thanks for the fix and the update! Great customer service!
Official Employee

Absolutely, it is not a problem at all and I am here to help!