Community Forum

In home streaming with different internet provider

New Poster

In home streaming with different internet provider

When Xfinity updated to the newer Stream TV app this spring, it made it impossible for me to watch many shows as I don't have Xfinity as my ISP. This wasn't the case before, or that that I noticed. For several reasons I'm with AT&T internet. I understand now that the "error" notice telling you that your selected streaming content is "out of home" on the "available for in home only" content is due to this non Xfinity internet/modem/equipment. I want to know if Xfinity just did this to push people to subscribe to both/all its own services or there was some genuine technological reason the newer app operates differently? (Or did I just not notice the "in home only" restrictions in the old interface? Or they didn't exist under old contracts?)  I read on another forum you might be able to provide Xfinity your modem info so the app could detect you as being in home when connected to it,  but the Xfinity customer service rep I chatted with just kept repeating stock lines with no real answer. 

Expert

Re: In home streaming with different internet provider

KR9 wrote:

When Xfinity updated to the newer Stream TV app this spring, it made it impossible for me to watch many shows as I don't have Xfinity as my ISP. This wasn't the case before, or that that I noticed. For several reasons I'm with AT&T internet. I understand now that the "error" notice telling you that your selected streaming content is "out of home" on the "available for in home only" content is due to this non Xfinity internet/modem/equipment. I want to know if Xfinity just did this to push people to subscribe to both/all its own services or there was some genuine technological reason the newer app operates differently? (Or did I just not notice the "in home only" restrictions in the old interface? Or they didn't exist under old contracts?)  I read on another forum you might be able to provide Xfinity your modem info so the app could detect you as being in home when connected to it,  but the Xfinity customer service rep I chatted with just kept repeating stock lines with no real answer.  

licensing allows for your situation only the TVgo channels and the recordings (X1) and much of the on-demand library. 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Official Employee

Re: In home streaming with different internet provider

KR9 wrote:

The Stream app ADDED the in-home content to the TV Go content that was available in the previous version of the app. The in-home content must be streamed over the Comcast managed network due to contractual restrictions with programmers (in-home content is the same as you’d see via your set-top box).  There are over 200 live TV Go channels and thousands of On Demand choices. Not all content is available out of home (ie TV Go) because those rights are separately negotiated with programmers and not always available.