Community Forum

How to watch local channels when I'm on a trip

New Poster

How to watch local channels when I'm on a trip

Lame question? My iPad says local programming is not available, I just want to watch the news while out of town. 

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: How to watch local channels when I'm on a trip

Christinabina wrote:

Lame question? My iPad says local programming is not available, I just want to watch the news while out of town. 

The rights to view content when out of the home are negotiated separately from those you can watch when connected to your in-home XFINITY network. Local broadcast stations are available out of home from ABC and NBC in select markets where the networks own the local broadcas station (called "owned and operated" stations - usually major cities). The 100+ affiliates for each major broadcaster have not yet made their streams available to Comcast or any other distributor.

-ComcastDan

Frequent Visitor

There are some options for watching your local news on your iPad when on the road.

Many local TV stations have their own iPad/iPhone apps which let you stream their newscasts live.  Look in the app store and try them out.  If you can stream the news live from the app while at home it should also work when you are out of town.  I often do this with Fox9 and KARE11 (NBC) from the Twin Cities.

If you have the Xfinity X1 with Cloud DVR working correctly you can record a newscast and later watch the Cloud DVR recording on the Xfinity TV iPad app.  You won't be able to watch the newscast live, but can watch the recording after the newscast is over.

Hopefully one of these options will work for you.

New Poster

So what is the point to using the Xfinity stream if you can't watch local channels when on a trip. That's the only reason to use the stream. If I want to watch HBO, ESPN, etc, I'll just tun on my hotel tv that includes the channel already. The whole reason for the stream is so I can watch my hometown team or my local news while I'm out of town. It's like Xfinity doesn't want me to watch programming that I'm already paying for (Over $300 per month I might add). So I have to pay for a weeks worth of cable that I cannot watch because I'm out of town? Sounds like Xfinity should be a little more fair and allow us to watch our programming anywhere in the world (Most importantly, including my local channels).

Expert

chidave1 wrote:

So what is the point to using the Xfinity stream if you can't watch local channels when on a trip. That's the only reason to use the stream. If I want to watch HBO, ESPN, etc, I'll just tun on my hotel tv that includes the channel already. The whole reason for the stream is so I can watch my hometown team or my local news while I'm out of town. It's like Xfinity doesn't want me to watch programming that I'm already paying for (Over $300 per month I might add). So I have to pay for a weeks worth of cable that I cannot watch because I'm out of town? Sounds like Xfinity should be a little more fair and allow us to watch our programming anywhere in the world (Most importantly, including my local channels).

many local channels now have Roku and web pages with live streaming news if that is what you want (search for call letters of your local station like KABC (as an example). 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.