Community Forum

HBO GO Activation Not Working

Expert

Re: HBO GO Activation Not Working

@Gypsydonovan wrote:
Having exactly the same problem.

i just loaded and logged into HBOgo on an android phone. do you hit the menu and select 'sign in' and then select Xfinity and log in?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

20 minutes?  Could comcast be any worse?

Highlighted
New Poster

My Roku makes me re-sign in periodically and there has never been a problem doing this on my phone (usually late at night in bed - only basic cable/SD in the bedroom), but last night when I went to the HBOGO.com activation page, Comcast/XFinity was not in the list of TV providers.  Started a chat today with Comcast using the tips found here, but it didn't work, even after they refreshed and I rebooted the Roku.  What DID work was my trying again to activate, but doing it on my PC instead of my android phone.  On the desktop site, I did find XFINITY in the list of providers (as a graphic), signed in with no problem.   Phew! Now I can watch Sharp Objects and freak myself out at 2 A.M.  Smiley Wink  

New Poster

I can confirm that the All App Refresh and UDB Refresh are the only way to fix this problem. Just tell the Comcast rep that you've already done the other troubleshooting - save yourself 20 min of frustration and tell them to do the refresh-

@Mjkoz wrote:
Awesome!

Finally works! Thanks for posting this, you probably saved me hours trying to figure this out. I spent about 15 mins on hold, told the tech to do the UDB and all app refresh, he had it working in less than 5 minutes.

@Mjkoz wrote:
Awesome!

Finally works! Thanks for posting this, you probably saved me hours trying to figure this out. I spent about 15 mins on hold, told the tech to do the UDB and all app refresh, he had it working in less than 5 minutes.

Regular Visitor

Can some Comcast rep do an all-app refresh for me, then?  I have not been able to watch HBO on my Roku for several months now.  It's annoying.

New Poster

You can do the refresh yourself without contacting support from here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/tv

worked for me.

New Poster

Same here. 

New Poster

I, like others posting in this discussion, am having problems activating the HBOGO app, and am prompted to add HBO to my Xfinity account... even though my Xfinity account [already] includes HBO.

A quick search online suggests that there's a webpage *somewhere* on the Xfinity website that'll let you do a UDB Refresh on your own, without needing to call or chat with Xfinity support.  

goodsamaritan helpfully pointed folks at <https://www.xfinity.com/support/tv>, but that page covers troubleshooting TV/cable box issues, and *doesn't* appear to provide a way to reset apps and/or do a UDB refresh. That page does have a "System Refresh" button, but clicking on it asks me to select the cable box that's giving me difficulty... I don't have a problem with my cable box! The problem is with activating the HBOGO app on my iPad and Apple TV! 

One fellow tweeted that he received the link from Xfinity: "@ComcastCares: you can do that on your own via (sends link that only works for TV subscribers)", but he didn't provide the link! :-)

So... does anyone know the URL to the Xfinity webpage that lets users do their own UDB Refresh? A search of the Xfinity website for "UDB" didn't turn up anything, but they might not use that acronym  in public facing documentations.

In case you're wondering: I'll certainly (and obviously) contact Xfinity support if that's the **only** way to initiate a UDB Refresh.   But, if there's a way I can do this myself, I'd like to have that option!

Thanks,

K.

Expert

@kzintar wrote:

I, like others posting in this discussion, am having problems activating the HBOGO app, and am prompted to add HBO to my Xfinity account... even though my Xfinity account [already] includes HBO.

A quick search online suggests that there's a webpage *somewhere* on the Xfinity website that'll let you do a UDB Refresh on your own, without needing to call or chat with Xfinity support.  

goodsamaritan helpfully pointed folks at <https://www.xfinity.com/support/tv>, but that page covers troubleshooting TV/cable box issues, and *doesn't* appear to provide a way to reset apps and/or do a UDB refresh. That page does have a "System Refresh" button, but clicking on it asks me to select the cable box that's giving me difficulty... I don't have a problem with my cable box! The problem is with activating the HBOGO app on my iPad and Apple TV! 

One fellow tweeted that he received the link from Xfinity: "@ComcastCares: you can do that on your own via (sends link that only works for TV subscribers)", but he didn't provide the link! :-)

So... does anyone know the URL to the Xfinity webpage that lets users do their own UDB Refresh? A search of the Xfinity website for "UDB" didn't turn up anything, but they might not use that acronym  in public facing documentations.

In case you're wondering: I'll certainly (and obviously) contact Xfinity support if that's the **only** way to initiate a UDB Refresh.   But, if there's a way I can do this myself, I'd like to have that option!

Thanks,

K.

press the A button on an X1 remote and run System Refresh.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I have the same problem so frustraed xfinity  support never he promised me to find out the problem that i can't activate hbogo in my apple tv and every device that i have, my tv package does included HBO I can watch from TV but i can't access to hbogo from my other device, need xfinity shoo some responsibility

New Poster

"UDB refresh" and "System refresh" are functionally the same. App refresh is different. Believe you need Comcast support to do that.

Regular Visitor

This is broken for me too and I'm really just replying so I can send a private message 

New Poster

Tried the steps as listed. Same result. 

Expert

if steps were followed then call 800-Comcast and select billing. ask the agent to perform a deep account background database refresh (can take up to an hour). If the agent is unsure or tries to move issue to a ticket to a higher tier ask for a supevisor.

New Poster

Thanks for posting this.  I could log into HBO through everything but HBO Go App.  Just started the blame game (HBO blames Comcast who blames HBO) when I found this.  Worked like a charm.

New Poster

This worked for me. The custumer service rep was surprised and said he was happy I taught him something. 

New Poster

This worked for me too on Samsung note 9 after having no success before
New Poster

I FOUND A SOLVE! (hopefully it works for you)

Problem: HBO GO on mobile would no longer let me log in under XFINITY.

SOLUTION: Log in on a laptop, then I used Pushbullet to shoot the workign session to my phone, then my phone had me log in as usual- i selected XFINITY, and it worked this time!

New Poster

Great idea. Worked for me too!
New Poster

This is exactly the fix: Login to hbogo.com on chrome app from phone, and answer the new 2-way authentication question. Then when searching for shows the site will prompt you to use the app, and you'll be signed in successfully. Happy watching
New Poster

HBO GO Activation/Sign in Not Working for Xfinity users on android phone

This solution worked for me too! I have an android phone with OS version 7.1.1 and before reading your solution I called Comcast, spent 45 minutes with them and followed all their troubleshooting steps with no luck, fortunately, the call dropped. After that, I followed the troubleshooting guide posted on the HBO GO web page with no luck (I cleared the cache,  uninstalled the app, installed it again and deleted the cookies). After following the instructions posted here I was able to log in!

Thanks!

P.S The error message I was getting in the app after selecting Xfinity as the provider was:

Signed Out

We're having trouble verifying your access to HBO GO with your TV provider.

If you continue to have this issue, contact your TV provider for assistance.

@Dan3039 wrote:
After 4 months I was finally able to log in to HBOgo. I'm not sure if it was this specific process, or Comcast finally did something after denying it being their log in portal issue for the last 4 months of taking on the phone. Here was the situation for when I was finally able to get it to work : Please try to replicate my results.

Already logged in to Comcast email on Chrome on mobile phone. --- Opened HBOgo in Google chrome on galaxy S8 phone, it defaulted to the mobile version which prompts to open in the HBOgo app on the page. I selected under the chrome settings to request the desktop version. Selected to sign in from the HBOgo drop down. Selected Comcast xfinity. It gave me the option to open with the HBOgo app, Google Chrome, or the mobile internet app. I selected the HBOgo app, and for once it actually worked where it showed me logged in within the app for the first time in nearly 4 months.

Good luck since Comcast doesn't seem willing to admit it's an issue for all of us.

New Poster

We had the same problem, the app on the phone worked, but we have a smart tv in a bedroom that we just stream thru (vs paying for an extra box) & it kept saying session expired ( but even logging on to the HBO GO account to refresh it did nothing nor brought up a reactivation code on the tv screen) so we ended up just deleting the app completely off the tv & redownloaded it. Then we went thru the original normal setup steps to reactivate it, & Whaalaaa.... Worked like a charm!

Hope this will help resolve the problem for some of the others that have experienced similar issues!
New Poster

I had this problem pop up an hour ago.  HBOGo took me to that purchase/account page and wouldn't log me in, other apps of mine said I hadn't purchased the cable channel.  Thankfully I found this thread.

First guy I talked to was on the cable side of things.  He was familiar with the UDB refresh, but said he needed to transfer me to the internet side of things to do that.  The guy I got in internet was not familiar with the UDB refresh at first, but looked it up, said it made sense, and got someone to help him do it.  It worked...however, give it a minute or so to take effect.

The trickiest part was getting throught the maze of prompts to speak to someone.  

New Poster

Account Refresh Works!

When you call, you will ask the first eprson to do an account refresh- they will do it but it won't work then they will transfer you to a Level 2 technician that will do a (better) Account Refresh and then it will work.

New Poster

This is what I did that worked for me. I logged into HBO GO website through the Chrome browser on my phone. It takes you through the same steps as in the app, except when i selected Xfinity as my provider it didn't give me the error and i logged in just fine. Then after this i left my browser open and switched to the HBO GO app. This time when I selected Xfinity as the provider it didn't give me an error. I hope this helps since 3 phone calls to Xfinity help and Advanced Tech support did nothing.
New Poster

I am having the same issue this is ridiculous...
I can't stand watching Game of Thrones through cable it looks terrible...
New Poster

Didn't work
New Poster

I have all of these posts, called Comcast and spoke for an hour. Nothing worked. Then just now I unplugged my Roku and plugged it back in and now everything is great. Simple solution for me!

New Poster

Same problem, I found Xfinity on the list this last time (after several tries) with both my fire stick and my roku tv. But now I’m getting a message saying that Xfinity doesn’t support HBO GO
Official Employee

Tina18, thanks for letting us know about your activation issues on HBO Go with your XFINITY Credentials. Have you ever been able to register your HBO go account? Can you attempt to log in here: https://play.hbogo.com/login

XFINITY is a provider there where you can log in with your credentials and then create your HBO Go ID. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I have the same issue, but only "IN ONE OF MY FIRE STICKS"!!! I can watch hbogo in my phone, tablet and two other fire sticks
New Poster

This absolutely works! Thank you so much!
New Poster

This problem just reared its ugly head with my account last night.

About 3 hours of my life wasted on tech support phone calls and even more reading forum posts and still no resolution.  "advanced repair" told me they are contacting engineering.

I've spoken to three different tier 2 techs.  Tonight's calls ended with a conversation with a tier 2 supervisor.  He assured me they tried an 'account refresh', 'account refresh for apps', and the 'deep background refresh' as mentioned by the users in this forum.  I emailed them screenshots of what was happening and links to this forum thread, but they still couldn't solve the issue.  The only useful information I got from them tonight was the supervisor stating that MANY internet-only customers like myself were having issues with HBO Go.  We only have internet and the included Stream access, no traditional cable TV service since switching to Sling a couple years ago.  

Not sure where to go from here.  Hopefully engineering has some tricks up their sleeves.