Community Forum

HBO GO Activation Not Working

Regular Visitor

HBO GO Activation Not Working

Whenever I try to login to HBO or HBOGO via either hbogo.com or hbogo.com/activate it will not work. I get sent to the xfinity page to login to my account and then it redirects to this page: https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-cable-tv/premium-channels/hbo?lang=en

I pay for HBO, it works on my TV, I just can't login to anything that requires verification of the xfinity account. I spent and hour with Xfinity Support... supposedly they tried a refresh. That didn't work...  they then said they have no idea and to try contacting HBO who also has no idea... This is incredibly frustrating.

Tags (3)
Regular Visitor

Re: HBO GO Activation Not Working

Nothing? It boggles my mind that both Comcast and HBO have zero answers for this when it's a fairly well documented issue...

Frequent Visitor

Yep, I've had the issue for 3 months now, and now they are trying to say that because I can stream HBO content on Streampix, that HBOgo activation isn't their problem.

Had to file a complaint with BBB to get it back being looked in to.

We pay for a service that includes HBOgo, we shoud be able to get HBOgo.

Expert

@Dan3039 wrote:

Yep, I've had the issue for 3 months now, and now they are trying to say that because I can stream HBO content on Streampix, that HBOgo activation isn't their problem.

Had to file a complaint with BBB to get it back being looked in to.

We pay for a service that includes HBOgo, we shoud be able to get HBOgo.

why do you believe your subscription includes HBOgo app? is it in your contract? if you have a CBS channel in your subscription do you believe your subscription includes the CBS all-access app access?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Because it literally says it on the xfinity log in page for HBOgo on xfinity's website.
Screenshot_20180503-114234_Chrome.jpg
New Poster

I'm also having this issue.  Did you come to any resolution, Dan?

Frequent Visitor

After 4 months I was finally able to log in to HBOgo. I'm not sure if it was this specific process, or Comcast finally did something after denying it being their log in portal issue for the last 4 months of taking on the phone. Here was the situation for when I was finally able to get it to work : Please try to replicate my results.

Already logged in to Comcast email on Chrome on mobile phone. --- Opened HBOgo in Google chrome on galaxy S8 phone, it defaulted to the mobile version which prompts to open in the HBOgo app on the page. I selected under the chrome settings to request the desktop version. Selected to sign in from the HBOgo drop down. Selected Comcast xfinity. It gave me the option to open with the HBOgo app, Google Chrome, or the mobile internet app. I selected the HBOgo app, and for once it actually worked where it showed me logged in within the app for the first time in nearly 4 months.

Good luck since Comcast doesn't seem willing to admit it's an issue for all of us.
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issue, this is stupid

New Poster

Same thing happening to me tonight with my fireTV. Haven't had this problem before but it required me to re login. When it goes tothe Xfinity page topto authenticate, it just shows me a generic page on phone's browser
New Poster

Chiming in to say this happened to me tonight as well, with HBOGo and Showtime Anywhere.  Just keep getting re-directed to xfinity after signing in

New Poster

This is happening to me tonight to. I tried on 4 different devices they all redirect me to the same website.
New Poster

Just wanted to add my experience - a level 2 tech spent a half hour with me and wasn't able to solve anything. They then recommended I contact HBO, in spite of the fact HBO GO's support page literally says "Can't sign in? CONTACT YOUR TV PROVIDER". Then the level 2 tech gave me a phone number that didn't work.

Later, the tech called back to say there was some sort of outage, but didn't seem to have any real information other than "others are having the same problem". 

I have been unable to access the service since Saturday, was using it fine a few days before.  

New Poster

I am having the same issue. Was working fine and then stopped last night. On with tech support but they are no help.

New Poster

I know it says to contact your provider, but has anyone had any luck with contactng HBO? I'm willing to do whatever will get my sign in to work again, this runaround I'm getting from xfinity is ridiculous.

Frequent Visitor

I literally listed steps that worked to solve this for me after 4 months of not having access. Please give them a try, listed above.

Went through the process with HBO though email, they confirmed my permissions were all good and it was a Comcast issue.
New Poster

@Dan3039 wrote:
I literally listed steps that worked to solve this for me after 4 months of not having access. Please give them a try, listed above.

Went through the process with HBO though email, they confirmed my permissions were all good and it was a Comcast issue.

Dan, I tried your steps and wound up with the same results as anywhere else.

Expert

on your phone use the Chrome or Firefox current version app or on a desk/laptop same browser. Does it authenticate with one of those two browsers?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I have tried Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome on my phone, and Chrome on my Chromebook.
New Poster

SOLVED: call Comcast and let them know you need a "account refresh for apps"

I spoke to many people prior to this and nobody could give me an answer; the same run around that everyone else posted here. They even gave me the faulty phone number for HBO. But, after spending hours on the phone with them, one very helpful support agent did some research and fixed it.

Again, call and ask for an account refresh and make sure they do the account refresh for apps, too. Good luck!

Frequent Visitor

Confirmed that asking for a refresh on apps works (I was unable to sign in on my Xbox One and my Android phone).  I asked via chat and unfortunately had to go through the normal troubleshooting steps but in the end the rep did something called a "UDB refresh" which took about 10 minutes.  After that I was able to sign in.  Shortly after I received a called from advanced tech support confirming if I was good to go.  He informed me that there is a national outage that is effecting HBO GO and other apps.  

New Poster

Success!

UDB Refresh did it for me as well. I talked to chat support and referenced this page to speed the process. They got me going again in less than 20 minutes.

New Poster

I followed your instructions only with galaxy s7, still not working. Thanks for the tip.
New Poster

Awesome!

Finally works! Thanks for posting this, you probably saved me hours trying to figure this out. I spent about 15 mins on hold, told the tech to do the UDB and all app refresh, he had it working in less than 5 minutes.
New Poster

I just wanted to add another response that the UDB refresh worked. The rep tried to feed me lines about the supposed outage on third party apps but I was persistent in asking for the UDB refresh and was back on HBO Go in a few minutes.
New Poster

I am having the same issues as everyone else. HBO GO is not functioning, as well as the Xfinity Stream app. The app is no longer showing HBO channels and I have been paying for the service since November 2017. Had no luck with the refresh and basically got the run around from customer service. I was even asked why am I just getting a chance to call and report the issue, smh.
Expert

@nichoan wrote:
I am having the same issues as everyone else. HBO GO is not functioning, as well as the Xfinity Stream app. The app is no longer showing HBO channels and I have been paying for the service since November 2017. Had no luck with the refresh and basically got the run around from customer service. I was even asked why am I just getting a chance to call and report the issue, smh.

your problem is completely different. the database is not proper for your account proved by no hbo channels on your stream app. call 800-comcast and select billing and ask agent to perform a deep background refresh (takes up to an hour to complete). fixed?

New Poster

It did not. I called back on Sunday and received someone in the tech department that corrected the coding error. The gentleman was veey pleasant and knowledgable unlike Saturday’s conversation. It has been working well on all apps, thus far.
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue.  HBOGo worked for me until yesterday.  Today, I get the activation code from the HBOGo channel on my Roku, I go to hbo.com/activate, I sign in to my Comcast e-mail, and then Comcast takes me to a site where it tells me to buy HBO.  I have tried two devices, and three different browsers--Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.  It used to go from the sign in to a place to put the code.  I don't know what might have changed.

I chatted with someone from Comcast last night, asked for a UDB refresh, and that didn't work or they didn't know what I was talking about.  I called today and spoke to someone for about an hour and a half, and they weren't able to get it to work either. I asked for an account refresh.  Didn't work.  Please help!

Tags (1)
New Poster

I can't activate HBO Go on my Firestick TV or on my Samsung Smart TV.  When I try to watch it on my laptop thru the Comcast stream it acts like I have not purchased HBO and yet it is checked as "included" in my paid monthly package!  This is really frustrating.  Same exact scenario as everyone else.  Just started today.

Expert

@redcirclegirl1 wrote:

I can't activate HBO Go on my Firestick TV or on my Samsung Smart TV.  When I try to watch it on my laptop thru the Comcast stream it acts like I have not purchased HBO and yet it is checked as "included" in my paid monthly package!  This is really frustrating.  Same exact scenario as everyone else.  Just started today.

call 800-Comcast and select billing and ask the agent to perform a deep account background refresh (takes up to an hour to complete). test hboGo on a smart device and be sure the app is working. once working should work on stream site using a PC.

New Poster

I'm sure there's a contract between comcast and HBO and if comcast customers can't access all content that HBO says to provide then a little pressure from our comcast provider is most definitely warranted.Especially when the outage is nation wide and is effecting all comcast users.
Expert

@Pitifulwheel wrote:
I'm sure there's a contract between comcast and HBO and if comcast customers can't access all content that HBO says to provide then a little pressure from our comcast provider is most definitely warranted.Especially when the outage is nation wide and is effecting all comcast users.

if you have HBO channels on your X1 equipment then HBOgo will work for you. to select provider look in the list for X and find Xfinity. you may have to try different browsers if the first one does not work on HBO's site to activate.

Expert

@Pitifulwheel wrote:

if you have HBO channels on your X1 equipment then HBOgo will work for you. to select provider look in the list for X and find Xfinity. you may have to try different browsers if the first one does not work on HBO's site to activate.

New Poster

Xfinity is listed. But when I click on it, it directs me to a page where I can BUY HBO. But I already have it in my paid subscription. So I login and still nowhere to activate what I already have. If I choose "devices" it says I have to call. Something is wrong.
Expert

@redcirclegirl1 wrote:
Xfinity is listed. But when I click on it, it directs me to a page where I can BUY HBO. But I already have it in my paid subscription. So I login and still nowhere to activate what I already have. If I choose "devices" it says I have to call. Something is wrong.

HBO offers another app HBOnow and it sounds like that is the one you are using. verify?

Frequent Visitor

HBOnow is for people without cable/sattlite service.  The issue here is HBO Go.  The login process of HBO Go required a service providor.  I'm supprise some Xfinity service tech and "Service Expert" here confused this two.

I asked them to do the "UDB refresh" but that didn't help.  They told me the "UDB refresh" is the reset of the cable box.  So, I'm not sure what does that have to do with the authetification issue here.  I'm still not able to access HBO Go :-(

Highlighted
Expert

@toiday wrote:

HBOnow is for people without cable/sattlite service.  The issue here is HBO Go.  The login process of HBO Go required a service providor.  I'm supprise some Xfinity service tech and "Service Expert" here confused this two.

I asked them to do the "UDB refresh" but that didn't help.  They told me the "UDB refresh" is the reset of the cable box.  So, I'm not sure what does that have to do with the authetification issue here.  I'm still not able to access HBO Go :-(

does your set top box receive the numbered linear HBO channels and HBO on-demand service?

Frequent Visitor

Got the run around over and over again but I didn't give up. Finally able to talk to someone at tech support knows the issue. Since I don't watch TV via the cable box, I afraid I may lose it so I took it to the Comcast store and returned it. They took the box without question me. It turns out, I still need the cable box in order to see all the channels on the Xfinity streaming app and HBO Go. They should have told me that when I return the box. Anyway, I just picked up another cable box. Now I'm able to log in to HBO Go without even plug in the cable box. I wished more tech support people knew the problem or know where to look. They looked at my account and should see that I don't have a cable box and told me to pick one up. Shouldn't need a week to solve the problem.
New Poster

I followed the advice of the thread and I'm up and working again! I typed this exactly and was up and running in two minutes.

First I went here: https://support.xfinity.com/chat?t=xfinityapps

Then I verified who I was and typed this:

I need an account refresh for all of my apps. I cannot log into the HBO-Go Activation app and this thread on the comcast support forum fixed the problem for many others. https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/HBO-GO-Activation-Not-Working/m-p/3118030#M16874

Rachel Ann was able to get me going quickly and easily. Thanks for not being terrible Comcast! Smiley Wink

Expert

@joannecarre3 wrote:

I followed the advice of the thread and I'm up and working again! I typed this exactly and was up and running in two minutes.

First I went here: https://support.xfinity.com/chat?t=xfinityapps

Then I verified who I was and typed this:

I need an account refresh for all of my apps. I cannot log into the HBO-Go Activation app and this thread on the comcast support forum fixed the problem for many others. https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/HBO-GO-Activation-Not-Working/m-p/3118030#M16874

Rachel Ann was able to get me going quickly and easily. Thanks for not being terrible Comcast! Smiley Wink

you gave a link to the same thread your post is in (and to a post that was removed for violation of forum guidelines).  Glad you got it working.

New Poster

Doesn’t work on mobile, but works when I switch to iPad. Constant problem.
Regular Visitor

Got a new Firestick for $20 on AMZN Prime day.

Downloaded HBO_Go app on Firestick. It gave me an activation code.

Per instructions , went to Http://HBOGo.com/activate andit would just jump to the sing up screen as though I did not have HBO GO. I do have HBO Go and it shows as such in My Xfinity services.

(HBO NOW is a whole different thing. Ignore all references to it.)

TO fix it in about 10-15 min I did this:

Log on to your Xfinity account. Then go to support and start a Chat.

Tell the Support Rep your problem and that you think you need a "UDB Refresh".

The Rep went and did that, came back to me and instructed me to UNInstall the Firestick HBOGo App (NOT HBO NOW), then reinstall it and try the activation.

It immediately acted differently and also worked when I went to Http://hbogo.com/activate .

I thought I would report in detail in one place , as I read many messages before I did this.

Try it. - Bob

Regular Visitor

Same thing for me. Earlier message mentioned UDB Refresh. I chatted with Xfinity tech support while logged in to my account.

They did UDB Refresh, then instructed me to UnInstall HBO Go App on Firestick, then ReInstall it.

Worked. Thanks to the forum members here.

New Poster

I did a lot of testing have concluded that its a Comcast issue. Here is why. When you use an Apple TV Xfinity shows up but when its Android TV then it does not. Also from some testing i have come to understand that the provider has to enable the devices on which it wants its users to use the app. So in short, Comcast has to enable it on their end. I have a feeling Comcast just does not care and knows that it can get away without addressing this. Shame on all of us for giving them our business!! Next step... Need to find another provider.

Expert

@jonnyTVlover wrote:

I did a lot of testing have concluded that its a Comcast issue. Here is why. When you use an Apple TV Xfinity shows up but when its Android TV then it does not. Also from some testing i have come to understand that the provider has to enable the devices on which it wants its users to use the app. So in short, Comcast has to enable it on their end. I have a feeling Comcast just does not care and knows that it can get away without addressing this. Shame on all of us for giving them our business!! Next step... Need to find another provider.

Comcast has said they are moving on different platforms in the near future. 

Regular Visitor

Yup - Same thing here.  Can no longer stream HBO from the comcast/xfinity site or the HBO GO app on ipad.  Comcast support worthless, just verified I have HBO.  I hate Comcast!

Expert

@mike-davis wrote:

Yup - Same thing here.  Can no longer stream HBO from the comcast/xfinity site or the HBO GO app on ipad.  Comcast support worthless, just verified I have HBO.  I hate Comcast!

hi, let's work on just the Xfinity Stream TV app on the iPad. is it installed and lets you log in? do you get to the first menu (live/browse/recordings)? do you receive error messages/error numbers? Did you try to do a full power down and restart of the iPAD?

New Poster

Hi, I am also having the same problem but I get the notification that HBOGO is not supported on iPad for Xfinity customers.  It is hard to believe that Xfinity and HBOGO can this type of service, so are you having the same problem? How did you solve it?

thanks

New Poster

Hi guys, I hope this helps some of you.  So, I am on an Galaxy S6 tried to stream HBOGO.  It's been a minute since I watched HBOGO so I tried streaming tonight and it just sent me around in circles, sign in, select provider, buy HBO, etc...

What ended up working for me was signing in with the email account associated with the cable provider (Xfinity) versus using the user name.  This was after I rebooted my phone at least once, uninstalled and reinstalled the app at least 2x (which i think both steps were not necessary if I would have just tried logging in via the email account instead of the username).

Hope his helps.  Also, before i had success with my phone, i ended up logging in via my laptop (of course using the email account, which prompted me to try that on my phone) and it worked there (though I couldn't get the option to cast on my laptop.  It is my work laptop so, maybe it's not setup for casting).  Anywayz, try logging in with your subscriber email/password and see if that resolves your issues.  Wishing you the best!!!  BTW, i do have HBO with my Xfinity account.

Expert

@Madhu2 wrote:

Hi, I am also having the same problem but I get the notification that HBOGO is not supported on iPad for Xfinity customers.  It is hard to believe that Xfinity and HBOGO can this type of service, so are you having the same problem? How did you solve it?

thanks

using the iPad Xfinity Stream TV app, will the HBO numbered channels play as well as the TVgo HBO channels?