Community Forum

Episode on DVR not showing up on mobile app

New Poster

Episode on DVR not showing up on mobile app

A single episode from 11/1 is on my DVR but does not show up in the recordings on the mobile app. Other recordings of other shows from the same night are available and other, older, episodes of the same show (Agents of SHIELD) are still available. This is the first time I've come across this. 

Problem Solver

Re: Episode on DVR not showing up on mobile app

gobillybatson wrote:

A single episode from 11/1 is on my DVR but does not show up in the recordings on the mobile app. Other recordings of other shows from the same night are available and other, older, episodes of the same show (Agents of SHIELD) are still available. This is the first time I've come across this. 

Welcome to club of "missing recordings on the Cloud DVR".  Rest assured you will never get a definitive answer from Comcast as to why this has happened. I speak from experience.

Unless of course your Cloud DVR is full (only 60 hours worth of recordings allowed), and you've marked all your recordings "Save for 1 year".

Official Employee

Re: Episode on DVR not showing up on mobile app

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

gobillybatson wrote:

Welcome to club of "missing recordings on the Cloud DVR".  Rest assured you will never get a definitive answer from Comcast as to why this has happened. I speak from experience.

Unless of course your Cloud DVR is full (only 60 hours worth of recordings allowed), and you've marked all your recordings "Save for 1 year".

Sorry that you're missing a recording. Here are some of the reasons that can happen:

1. Cloud DVR recordings are created from one of about 12,000 IP video streams across the country (not pulled from your actual DVR). If the IP stream is down for some reason at the time of recording, the Cloud DVR recording will fail.
  2. All Cloud DVR recordings are created from "Recording Managers" (called RMs, internally) which is, essentially, a server based DVR.  The RMs could have been down, offline or at capacity (too many concurrent recordings requested in your market) at the time of recording. Capacity is always being increased (by adding additional hardware) but peak usage is challenging at times.
  3. There is a system called the "Scheduler" which syncs recording requests with the physical DVR and Cloud DVR. This is an asynchronous process and something could fail (getting more rare as this infrastructure gets hardened).
  4. Cloud DVR can record up to 6 concurrent recordings for must customers. If you have too many concurrent recordings, we will honor the priority manage (currently only available on the set-top box but planned to make it available on web/mobile in the future).
  5. Someone in the household may manually cancel a recording. Unlikely in this case but it has happened in many other instances.
  6. Recordings could be set to only record "new" episodes and customers assume there are new episodes when there are not.  Again, not the case in this situation but happened quite a bit during the Olympics when shows like Dancing with the Stars paused releasing new episodes during the Games.

You should see an indicator on your set-top box that the recording is not available in the Cloud. I believe it says "Not available for mobile viewing".

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is available On Demand both in and out of home. The mobile app team will be doing work in the future to automatically fall back to On Demand when available for failed recordings.  The X1 set-top box now falls back to Cloud DVR for failed physical recordings and to On Demand if both fail.

I hope that helps you understand the things that can go wrong and how we plan to improve to it to create a more seamless experience for our customers.

Best,

ComcastDan