Community Forum

Commercials interrupting live news broadcasts!

Highlighted
New Poster

Commercials interrupting live news broadcasts!

I watch MSNBC quite often through the Xfinity Stream app.  It's been a little while since I've watched it, but over the last couple of days I've been watching MSNBC through my phone due to my son hogging the TV.  I've noticed right in the middle of Rachel Maddow, commercials will interrupt the live broadcast before the show even takes their official commercial breaks!  What the heck??  This is something new.   I've never seen this in the past and I am absolutely furious!  I already am subjected to the normal commercials from the live broadcast, but now they're interrupting the live show to interject more commercials?  I sent a tweet to ComcastCares about this isssue and they gave me some garbage answer that it's the network that controls what commercials are displayed.  This seems like a total garbage excuse on Comcast's part.  The live stream is now absolutely useless if I'm going to be missing parts of a live news broadcasts because I'm forced to watch additional commercials!  

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Commercials interrupting live news broadcasts!

@bgaviator wrote: ... ComcastCares ... gave me some garbage answer that it's the network that controls what commercials are displayed. ...

That's mostly true, but 1. Comcast owns MSNBC, and 2. Comcast's Spotlight service can insert commercials into a national network feed, usually for local and regional advertisers. See http://www.comcastspotlight.com/.

Expert

@bgaviator wrote:

I watch MSNBC quite often through the Xfinity Stream app.  It's been a little while since I've watched it, but over the last couple of days I've been watching MSNBC through my phone due to my son hogging the TV.  I've noticed right in the middle of Rachel Maddow, commercials will interrupt the live broadcast before the show even takes their official commercial breaks!  What the heck??  This is something new.   I've never seen this in the past and I am absolutely furious!  I already am subjected to the normal commercials from the live broadcast, but now they're interrupting the live show to interject more commercials?  I sent a tweet to ComcastCares about this isssue and they gave me some garbage answer that it's the network that controls what commercials are displayed.  This seems like a total garbage excuse on Comcast's part.  The live stream is now absolutely useless if I'm going to be missing parts of a live news broadcasts because I'm forced to watch additional commercials!  

was this the numbered "linear" channel you were streaming or the TVgo channel (provided by msnbc)?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the same thing. When watching live MSNBC on the app, ANY show, it cuts off in midsentence to go to commercial, sometimes well before the actual break. (I've DVRed the live show to test, and there are no problems with actual television viewing.)  It began with the app's latest updated version (5.0) but did not happen on earlier versions (4. and below.) This makes viewing MSNBC on the app a terrible experience. I have tested some other live channels and all are fine.

A past online forum also complains about the same issue with AMC, and it was explained that it was a metadata issue in the exchange between XFinity and (in this case) MSNBC. From the online forum, ComcastTeds wrote:

"All - apologies again for the issue and the experience here. As mentioned above, we have identified several programs from [AMC and IFC] where this issue is apparent. The metadata with these programs was incorrect which is triggering the ad breaks incorrectly. Our teams have been and continue to work directly with IFC and AMC (and their delivery provider) to have replacement programs delivered to us without these errors." [end]
-----

XFinity should be working with MSNBC to fix this, but they're apparently not. I even asked if I should contact MSNBC and they asked me not to!! 

I've too have tweeted and DMed on Twitter to no avail, called to no avail. I keep getting the runaround. It is definitely not my signal (I travel) nor is it my equipment, as I had a recent tech visit.  IT IS THE LATEST VERSION OF THE APP.  Comcast has been no help at all.  Many in my family are cord cutting, and we're now thinking of doing the same. COMCAST - PLEASE FIX THIS.

Expert

@VMS1 wrote:

I am experiencing the same thing. When watching live MSNBC on the app, ANY show, it cuts off in midsentence to go to commercial, sometimes well before the actual break. (I've DVRed the live show to test, and there are no problems with actual television viewing.)  It began with the app's latest updated version (5.0) but did not happen on earlier versions (4. and below.) This makes viewing MSNBC on the app a terrible experience. I have tested some other live channels and all are fine.

@A past online forum also complains about the same issue with AMC, and it was explained that it was a metadata issue in the exchange between XFinity and (in this case) MSNBC. From the online forum, ComcastTeds wrote:

"All - apologies again for the issue and the experience here. As mentioned above, we have identified several programs from [AMC and IFC] where this issue is apparent. The metadata with these programs was incorrect which is triggering the ad breaks incorrectly. Our teams have been and continue to work directly with IFC and AMC (and their delivery provider) to have replacement programs delivered to us without these errors." [end]
-----

XFinity should be working with MSNBC to fix this, but they're apparently not. I even asked if I should contact MSNBC and they asked me not to!! 

I've too have tweeted and DMed on Twitter to no avail, called to no avail. I keep getting the runaround. It is definitely not my signal (I travel) nor is it my equipment, as I had a recent tech visit.  IT IS THE LATEST VERSION OF THE APP.  Comcast has been no help at all.  Many in my family are cord cutting, and we're now thinking of doing the same. COMCAST - PLEASE FIX THIS.

was this the numbered "linear" channel you were streaming or the TVgo channel (provided by msnbc)?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I did not know what you meant at first - I always set my filter to TVgo because I usually only watch it live while travelling. I just removed the filter and watched it without it - "linear" I guess - and it does the same thing. So, both ways. Still out of sequence with ads.  ( By the way, I 've done all the troubleshooting - rebooting, deleting app, etc.) 

Expert

@VMS1 wrote:

I did not know what you meant at first - I always set my filter to TVgo because I usually only watch it live while travelling. I just removed the filter and watched it without it - "linear" I guess - and it does the same thing. So, both ways. Still out of sequence with ads.  ( By the way, I 've done all the troubleshooting - rebooting, deleting app, etc.) 

linear means numbered channel. if the channel number is 200 on your X1 the linear channel number on stream app is also 200. the TVgo channels are anycast referral IP links that are accessable only by using the Stream TV app. The IP link goes directly to the 3rd party's servers.

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: ... the TVgo channels are anycast referral IP links ... The IP link goes directly to the 3rd party's servers.

"Anycast referral IP links" is not going to be very informative unless the OP happens to be a network engineer. And the source for MSNBC's feed is not a "3rd party", it's Comcast, which owns the network and controls the commercial insertion process for it.

Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote: ... the TVgo channels are anycast referral IP links ... The IP link goes directly to the 3rd party's servers.

"Anycast referral IP links" is not going to be very informative unless the OP happens to be a network engineer. And the source for MSNBC's feed is not a "3rd party", it's Comcast, which owns the network and controls the commercial insertion process for it.

Hi bruce. the MSNBC and all other TVgo are 3rd party (not Xfinity) and the link is to outside (internet) 3rd party providers of the streaming video. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: ... the MSNBC and all other TVgo are 3rd party (not Xfinity) and the link is to outside (internet) 3rd party providers of the streaming video. 

Who are these "3rd parties"? Do you deny that Comcast owns MSNBC???

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. I'm not sure how what you mention can help us in any practical way. Linear vs. tvgo, 3rd party, etc. I mentioned what a Comcast person said in a previous forum: 

"All - apologies again for the issue and the experience here. As mentioned above, we have identified several programs from [AMC and IFC] where this issue is apparent. The metadata with these programs was incorrect which is triggering the ad breaks incorrectly. Our teams have been and continue to work directly with IFC and AMC (and their delivery provider) to have replacement programs delivered to us without these errors." [end]
-----

It seems that indeed Comcast/XFinity needs to correct the erroneous metadata which is creating incorrect ad breaks. Do you know who I can contact  to acheive this? DMIng on twitter and even calling has accomplished precisely nothing. This is especially appalling since it it not a new issue.

Expert

@VMS1 wrote:

Thank you. I'm not sure how what you mention can help us in any practical way. Linear vs. tvgo, 3rd party, etc. I mentioned what a Comcast person said in a previous forum: 

"All - apologies again for the issue and the experience here. As mentioned above, we have identified several programs from [AMC and IFC] where this issue is apparent. The metadata with these programs was incorrect which is triggering the ad breaks incorrectly. Our teams have been and continue to work directly with IFC and AMC (and their delivery provider) to have replacement programs delivered to us without these errors." [end]
-----

It seems that indeed Comcast/XFinity needs to correct the erroneous metadata which is creating incorrect ad breaks. Do you know who I can contact  to acheive this? DMIng on twitter and even calling has accomplished precisely nothing. This is especially appalling since it it not a new issue.

yes as soon as I can get an answer on 'if' it is a linear channel or a TVgo (3rd party) channel.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you - I did answer above. Normally I watch with the filter set to TVgo because I watch this while traveling. I removed the filter last night and watched it, as you say, linearly, but the same problem occurred. I just tried it again on linear and it DID NOT cut off inaccurately. So I will keep testing linear for a bit and let you know. It could be that last night I didn't properly shut off the filter. 

Expert

@VMS1 wrote:

Thank you - I did answer above. Normally I watch with the filter set to TVgo because I watch this while traveling. I removed the filter last night and watched it, as you say, linearly, but the same problem occurred. I just tried it again on linear and it DID NOT cut off inaccurately. So I will keep testing linear for a bit and let you know. It could be that last night I didn't properly shut off the filter. 

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, much appreciated. I observed for quite a while, and that ONE time it cut to commercial was the aberration. At every other break, ads cut in midsentance. This is on both linear and with the TVgo filter. I have not observed this on any other channels, just MSNBC. Again, watching on the television or DVRing are fine. It is just the 5.0 app. I wish I could undo the updates. Truly impossible to enjoy the news.

Frequent Visitor

Excuse me ... **"that one time it cut to commercial" CORRECTLY was the aberration.

Frequent Visitor

ALSO - please EXPEDITE the attention and repair for this issue. I first made contact regarding this on July 27th, SIX weeks ago. Frankly, I've had to watch or listen to the news on other channels more often than not because my preferred MSNBC has become impossible to watch on the app. I do not understand why this wasn't SWIFTLY attended to, especially considering it is not a new issue.

Official Employee

Hello All, thanks for reaching out regarding this MSNBC Streaming commercial issue. I can assist with this, but I would need to gather some account information individually in a Private Message. Can you please send me a Private Message including the full name as it appears on the account, your full name if different and the username you are using to login. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastAmira" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

ComcastAmira: your name doesn't show as a link, so I can't click on it. Please pass along that link and I will be happy to provide any information you need.

Expert

@VMS1 wrote:

ComcastAmira: your name doesn't show as a link, so I can't click on it. Please pass along that link and I will be happy to provide any information you need.

namelink1.jpg

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I found your link and left a message last night.

Official Employee

@VMS1, I have responded to your Private Message! If you could please get back to me at your earliest convenience, thanks! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I just wanted to add that I'm having the same issue with the CNBC channel (on TVgo since it's when I'm away from my home network).  Commercials will cut into live programming, often at volume levels that make me reach for my headphones to rip them off since they start blasting at painful volume levels).   This doesn't occur during normal commercial breaks, only these oddly timed commercials interrupting live TV.

I also have access to YouTube TV and was able to switch over to viewing CNBC and rewind to hear the story I was listening to and verify there was no commercial break at that time.

Official Employee

Hello @wryanmcse, thanks for reaching out regarding this issue! I can further assist you with this! I would just need to gather some information from you in a Private Message. Can you please send me a Private Message including the full name as it appears on the account, your full name if different and the username you are using to login. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastAmira" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.