Community Forum

Closed Captioning defaults to ON on iPhone SE

Frequent Visitor

Closed Captioning defaults to ON on iPhone SE

I have an iPhone SE which defaults to Close Captioning ON when using the Xfinity Streaming app.  When I turn it OFF, it ONLY controls the "CURRENT PLAYBACK SESSION" and turns itself back ON whenever I change channels, turn the phone on/off or simply plug in the power cord.  My iPhone SE IOS 12.1.4 Accessibility Settings are set to OFF,  but this has NO EFFECT on the Xfinity app.  There is no way to permanently turn Close Captioning OFF.  It drives me crazy!!!  PLEASE ADD A CLOSED CAPTIONING ON/OFF SETTING UNDER XFINITY ACCESSIBILITY SETTINGS IN YOUR NEXT XFINITY APP UPDATE.

Expert

Re: Closed Captioning defaults to ON on iPhone SE

@CHAP1022 wrote:

I have an iPhone SE which defaults to Close Captioning ON when using the Xfinity Streaming app.  When I turn it OFF, it ONLY controls the "CURRENT PLAYBACK SESSION" and turns itself back ON whenever I change channels, turn the phone on/off or simply plug in the power cord.  My iPhone SE IOS 12.1.4 Accessibility Settings are set to OFF,  but this has NO EFFECT on the Xfinity app.  There is no way to permanently turn Close Captioning OFF.  It drives me crazy!!!  PLEASE ADD A CLOSED CAPTIONING ON/OFF SETTING UNDER XFINITY ACCESSIBILITY SETTINGS IN YOUR NEXT XFINITY APP UPDATE.

use your iPhone settings app, general >> accessability >> subtitles and captions. and turn off the switch.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

No, my question was not answered.  I have set my iPhone SE setting to "CAPTIONS OFF," but his does not affect Xfinity settings.  The Closed Captions keep on defaulting to ON everytime I change a channel, turn my phone On/OFF or simply plug in the power cord.   I have entered a trouble ticket to Xfinity to request they add an ON/OFF option under Xfinity Accessibility Settings in a future App undate.  The current option only allows you to turn off Closed Captioning for the current viewing session, but it does not stay off and defaults to ON constantly.

Expert

@CHAP1022 wrote:

No, my question was not answered.  I have set my iPhone SE setting to "CAPTIONS OFF," but his does not affect Xfinity settings.  The Closed Captions keep on defaulting to ON everytime I change a channel, turn my phone On/OFF or simply plug in the power cord.   I have entered a trouble ticket to Xfinity to request they add an ON/OFF option under Xfinity Accessibility Settings in a future App undate.  The current option only allows you to turn off Closed Captioning for the current viewing session, but it does not stay off and defaults to ON constantly.

apps uses the 'permanent' (non-temporary) settings in the settings app. did you look at the menu path I showed you? what version of iOS are you using? (also in settings app, general, software update)

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I'm using IOS 12.1.4 on an iPhone SE.  Closed Captioning is already set to OFF in IOS.  Despite this, Closed Captioning still defaults to ON in the Xfinity app.  It drives me nuts!  

Frequent Visitor

The path I'm using in IOS 12.1.4 is Settings --> General --> Accessibility --> Closed Captions --> OFF

Expert

@CHAP1022 wrote:

The path I'm using in IOS 12.1.4 is Settings --> General --> Accessibility --> Closed Captions --> OFF

try turning the feature on then press the lock button and hold it until the power down slide appears, and slide to off. after 30 seconds or so restart the phone and change the setting to off. then test again.

Frequent Visitor

I turned Closed Captions ON then OFF in IOS under Settings, General, Accessibility, Closed Captions, then did a hard reboot.  This still did not affect Closed Captions defaulting to ON in the Xfnity Steaming App.  The problem seems to be with the Xfinity App, not with IOS.  Xfinity needs to provide an ON/OFF option under their Settings --> Accessibility.  Currently, there is no option to turn Closed Captions OFF except for each viewing session, which means every time you change the channel or turn the phone on.  

Expert

@CHAP1022 wrote:

I turned Closed Captions ON then OFF in IOS under Settings, General, Accessibility, Closed Captions, then did a hard reboot.  This still did not affect Closed Captions defaulting to ON in the Xfnity Steaming App.  The problem seems to be with the Xfinity App, not with IOS.  Xfinity needs to provide an ON/OFF option under their Settings --> Accessibility.  Currently, there is no option to turn Closed Captions OFF except for each viewing session, which means every time you change the channel or turn the phone on.  

next step would be to delete the xfinity stream app and hard reboot the iPhone and then reinstall and login to the app. working now?

Frequent Visitor

Success!  I deleted the Xfinity Stream app, did a hard reboot and reinstalled it.  This seems to have worked!  The Closed Captions did NOT automatically come on!  I changed channels and turned the phone OFF/ON --> still no Closed Captions, yet I still can turn on CC if I want.  Finally, a solution!  Thank you greatly!