Community Forum

Changed TV Package - Roku Stream App

New Poster

Changed TV Package - Roku Stream App

I have been using the Roku Stream app for sometime and enjoy the app very much. However, I recently changed around my cable package and noticed that the Roku app now consumes a ton of data against my 1TB data cap. I've been advised that this shouldn't happen (and can see that it was not happening in prior months). It's caused my data usage to increase 3-5x, and I'm only using the app to watch TV channels that I am paying for. 

I'm really disappointed that this is happening and I can't seem to find anyone at Comcast who can help resolve the issue for me. It's quite unfortunate that I can't use an Xfinity app due to this error. My hope is that this is a good venue to troubleshoot why the change happened to me. I have no doubts these changes were as a result of the new service changes I made. 

Expert

Re: Changed TV Package - Roku Stream App

@mkviq wrote:

I have been using the Roku Stream app for sometime and enjoy the app very much. However, I recently changed around my cable package and noticed that the Roku app now consumes a ton of data against my 1TB data cap. I've been advised that this shouldn't happen (and can see that it was not happening in prior months). It's caused my data usage to increase 3-5x, and I'm only using the app to watch TV channels that I am paying for. 

I'm really disappointed that this is happening and I can't seem to find anyone at Comcast who can help resolve the issue for me. It's quite unfortunate that I can't use an Xfinity app due to this error. My hope is that this is a good venue to troubleshoot why the change happened to me. I have no doubts these changes were as a result of the new service changes I made. 

use of the roku stream beta channel does not count toward your CAP. the bytes are of course seen by your in-home router but since they don't 'leave' comcast's servers the bytes are zero-rated (as if you didn't use it). use of the roku on youtube and other channels like netflix of course do count toward your CAP.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yes, I understand this however it is evident that the data is counting towards my cap. I've isolated the Roku on the network and continue to see the data cap increase (no other devices being used this month). I am also confident that the network is secure and that the only device being used right now is the Roku app. 

This also corresponds with my data usage going from around 100-200GB to exceeding my data cap the month the change was made in. I am seeing almost 200GB of data used in the first few days of May.

I think it's really clear from my perspective that there is an issue here, I'm just not sure that Comcast wants to look into it. I'm sure the preference is to just have me pay for the removal of the data cap. 

Expert

@mkviq wrote:

Yes, I understand this however it is evident that the data is counting towards my cap. I've isolated the Roku on the network and continue to see the data cap increase (no other devices being used this month). I am also confident that the network is secure and that the only device being used right now is the Roku app. 

This also corresponds with my data usage going from around 100-200GB to exceeding my data cap the month the change was made in. I am seeing almost 200GB of data used in the first few days of May.

I think it's really clear from my perspective that there is an issue here, I'm just not sure that Comcast wants to look into it. I'm sure the preference is to just have me pay for the removal of the data cap. 

you have x1 set top boxes? they use internet too (on internet enabled apps like youtube, netflix, pluto, etc).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!