Community Forum

Can't watch dvr shows

Highlighted
New Poster

Can't watch dvr shows

Frequently I'll record a show and when I try to watch, it doesn't play. Just opens the "Delete Recording" dialog

I'm watching using the xfinity stream app on roku and a roku TV with the same results. Why is this happening?

Expert

Re: Can't watch dvr shows

@Bmax1985 wrote:

Frequently I'll record a show and when I try to watch, it doesn't play. Just opens the "Delete Recording" dialog

I'm watching using the xfinity stream app on roku and a roku TV with the same results. Why is this happening?

Hi, I moved your post to the stream app area of the forum. Was the show still being recorded at the time? how did you attempt to play it? (pressed play button on your Roku device?)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks! I thought that's where I was posting.

Process: Open Xfinity Stream > Saved > Recordings > Select show (SEAL Team this time) > Watch.  I then get the prompt that I finished and ask if I want to delete.

This doesn't happen all the time and doesn't impact only one network. Both Rokus behave the same.

I also tried in the Android app and receive a message stating "well that didn't go as planned"

The show was done being recorded when I first attempted though only by a few minutes.

Expert

@Bmax1985 wrote:

Thanks! I thought that's where I was posting.

Process: Open Xfinity Stream > Saved > Recordings > Select show (SEAL Team this time) > Watch.  I then get the prompt that I finished and ask if I want to delete.

This doesn't happen all the time and doesn't impact only one network. Both Rokus behave the same.

I also tried in the Android app and receive a message stating "well that didn't go as planned"

The show was done being recorded when I first attempted though only by a few minutes.

the cloud DVR sometime glitches like that and fortunately the home recording should be intact 'if' you don't delete the cloud copy on the roku. there is also on demand.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Is it relevant that I have the streaming only service? Didn't think to mention that.

I've only had the service for a couple months and overall am pleased but the app is definitely what I'd call 'beta'.  Seems that it's been in that stage for a really long time though.

I'll use your on demand thought to catch up once it's posted. Just have to watch commercials then.

Expert

@Bmax1985 wrote:

Is it relevant that I have the streaming only service? Didn't think to mention that.

I've only had the service for a couple months and overall am pleased but the app is definitely what I'd call 'beta'.  Seems that it's been in that stage for a really long time though.

I'll use your on demand thought to catch up once it's posted. Just have to watch commercials then.

the cloud DVR servers do sometimes just glitch. you have instant TV with cloud DVR lite then. on-demand lets you watch the show (if serial TV like Elementary)

New Poster

Interestingly enough, it played fine tonight.

Is the cloud DVR not really a DVR? I'd have to theorize that Xfinity just injected on demand content in place of messed up private content?

Expert

@Bmax1985 wrote:

Interestingly enough, it played fine tonight.

Is the cloud DVR not really a DVR? I'd have to theorize that Xfinity just injected on demand content in place of messed up private content?

it is a real DVR and is supplied signal via glass (fiber) from the local head end to the DVR server farm in the sky.