Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Official Employee

Re: recording

I wish someone would CONVINCE user Lacquer of this. He insists over and over that he can set recordings from his Xfinity account on his computer but I asked him to detail the steps he takes and he has failed to reply.
_______
Don’t worry about it, you can’t make anyone reply. Just move on and use your service like you always do, they’ll use their service like they do.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
I wish someone would CONVINCE user Lacquer of this. He insists over and over that he can set recordings from his Xfinity account on his computer but I asked him to detail the steps he takes and he has failed to reply.
_______
Don’t worry about it, you can’t make anyone reply. Just move on and use your service like you always do, they’ll use their service like they do.

You are correct Andrew but the fact that he insists we have a function that has not been available since Nov 2017 really bugs me. He can't possibly be using the service the way he professes.

Regular Contributor

Fully agree with TerriB.  I've tried several work arounds, but short of having another ISP that provides remote recording control, it's jut not possible with Comcast.  There might be some way to purchase a DVR or large hard drive, network it with your computer and control it over the internet.  That, however, is beyond my technical capability.  Comments have been made here by several people that Comcast is working on new software (?) that will end the problem, but no mention of that has been made recently.  I've had to resort to using a Roku when I am out of town for longer periods of time to watch newer shows that I wasn't able to set my Comcast DVR for before I left.  In fact, rather than try to find recent shows on demand (which is generally a waste of time), you can find most shows on major OTA or cable networks a few days after they air on a Roku.  I'm sure that's the same for the Fire and other similar outboard devices.  In fact, if Comcast doesn't restore the capability by the second anniversary of its disappearance, I will probably switch to internet only.  If we are going to time shift anyway, I can wait a few more days and save a LOT of money. 

Most Valued Poster

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

Fully agree with TerriB.  I've tried several work arounds, but short of having another ISP that provides remote recording control, it's jut not possible with Comcast.  There might be some way to purchase a DVR or large hard drive, network it with your computer and control it over the internet.  That, however, is beyond my technical capability.  Comments have been made here by several people that Comcast is working on new software (?) that will end the problem, but no mention of that has been made recently.  I've had to resort to using a Roku when I am out of town for longer periods of time to watch newer shows that I wasn't able to set my Comcast DVR for before I left.  In fact, rather than try to find recent shows on demand (which is generally a waste of time), you can find most shows on major OTA or cable networks a few days after they air on a Roku.  I'm sure that's the same for the Fire and other similar outboard devices.  In fact, if Comcast doesn't restore the capability by the second anniversary of its disappearance, I will probably switch to internet only.  If we are going to time shift anyway, I can wait a few more days and save a LOT of money. 

Well said! OR Maybe that user 'lacquer' will see his shadow and tell us how he does the magic he claims he can do and still  record from his account page .  I  gave him several chances to give detail of how he does it and I still say he was pranking and should be banned for life from the forums.

Official Employee

Well said! OR Maybe that user 'lacquer' will see his shadow and tell us how he does the magic he claims he can do and still record from his account page . I gave him several chances to give detail of how he does it and I still say he was pranking and should be banned for life from the forums.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

And we turn the page on yet another month with no word on when we're getting this feature back, as we continue to get the copy-and-pasted response from Comcast support about using On Demand instead (still NOT the solution).

I appreciate the input from the Comcast employees/experts here and would imagine others do, too.  But please try to understand the frustration Comcast customers are feeling over this.

Can someone that works for the company please get reliable information about if/when/how this problem might actually be SOLVED and share it here?  I'm pretty sure that's all most of us are asking for at this point.

Official Employee

And we turn the page on yet another month with no word on when we're getting this feature back, as we continue to get the copy-and-pasted response from Comcast support about using On Demand instead (still NOT the solution).

I appreciate the input from the Comcast employees/experts here and would imagine others do, too. But please try to understand the frustration Comcast customers are feeling over this.

Can someone that works for the company please get reliable information about if/when/how this problem might actually be SOLVED and share it here? I'm pretty sure that's all most of us are asking for at this point.
_______
Admyers, sorry nothing has changed, the best answer is unfortunately still the only answer.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Hello mike31959. This is a feature we no longer offer as functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! 

as I understand it, only 'instant TV' customers have ability to record via apps/web etc as they have no set top box equipment at all in the home only xfinity internet.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

What is “instant TV”?  Is that when you use a Roku, Firestick or other device to watch streaming?  You can’t really view much live TV that way.  You can watch some shows on some networks a day or two after the live broadcast, but most major cable and OTA channels now have firewalls or require a cable TV subscription.  Plus, since you won’t be getting live TV, there would be no way to set a recording even if you had your own DVR or software to enable recording on your computer.  It’s simply not a viable solution to the loss of the remote record capability.

Contributor

I just got a notification that there's a new version of Xfinity COnnect ready for download. If this means that they're finallyagain allowing recording remotely, then I'll download it. Otherwise.....why bother. Anyone?

Official Employee

Xfinity Connect is the email app, nothing to do with the Xfinity Stream app.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Well said! OR Maybe that user 'lacquer' will see his shadow and tell us how he does the magic he claims he can do and still record from his account page . I gave him several chances to give detail of how he does it and I still say he was pranking and should be banned for life from the forums.

So sorry you feel this is harassment. I was only trying to get someone like you to make him understand that we do not have this feature anymore when he insisted I was wrong but would not prove it.  I will just allow him to live in ignorance.

Regular Visitor

I guess he still have function and possibly an instant tv susbcriber and they have recording function according to this article  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/cloud-dvr-stream-tv-overview
Regular Contributor

@JavinLoves wrote:

I guess he still have function and possibly an instant tv susbcriber and they have recording function according to this article - https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/cloud-dvr-stream-tv-overview 

You mean: 

404 ERROR

Sorry, the page you are looking for cannot be found.

I guess they pulled the page as soon as you mentioned it.

Official Employee

FYI link had an extra space at the end of the link, causing the error. Edited, nothing nefarious.
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/cloud-dvr-stream-tv-overview

Regular Contributor

Found the link, thank you.  Now I am totally confused.  How is this any different from the technology used to record in the cloud when we have an X1 box.  I think the main difference is that we are limited as to what we can store in the cloud versus the very large number of shows we can record on X1.  But, again, how does the use of software used for the instant stream recordings in the cloud any different from that which has been removed due to the lawsuit?  And, if it's the same, then why are we, who pay a lot more for the X1 system, unable to use the programming feature for the 60 hours we are allowed in the cloud?  This appears to be a distinction without any logic at all.   If this is a choice, I'd seriously consider dropping the X1 box in exchange for being able to set remote recordings and saving a substantial sum of money.

What is instant viewing and where is it available?

Frequent Visitor

Instant TV is another service you have to pay for. Totally unrelated. We are talking about just setting up a recording on your DVR when you are away from your home. Bring back this feature Comcast. We pay for it since you didn’t give us a discount when you took it away. There is no outstanding patent issue and other providers offer it. Stop diverting. This issue is not solved.
New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

Official Employee

The B button is for accessibility settings

New Poster

TV Remote App

Why can't you schedule a recording from the Guide in the remote app. FIOS allows that. Especially if you are away and want to record a program you forgot to record from your home. I am sure I am not the first to ask for this option.

New Poster

Haha,
Comcast has had versions of this remote record button for 10 years. It’s ridiculous that they would have to remove this as they could buy TiVo with the interest on the interest on their net revenue. Having big patents myself that a a lot more important than a remote record button, it’s time to dust them off if this is true.