Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Expert

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app ... Request for status

@LLDR wrote:

It's been over a year since the lawsuit prevents users from remotely setting up recordings.  Has Xfinity not figured out a way to program this feature so that there's no infringement?  Please advise the status of this continuing super-annoyance.

Thank you.

the patent appeals have been won by Comcast but the import court has not yet removed its order.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: recording button in guide missing from app and browser page

Is there a solution to this problem?? Is there somewhere to suggest bringing it back again? I was just now looking through the apps! This was one of the best features in my opinion! I am trying to record a series through my phone right now! Any help is appreciated! Thank you!?
Expert

@SouthPawChick23 wrote:
Is there a solution to this problem?? Is there somewhere to suggest bringing it back again? I was just now looking through the apps! This was one of the best features in my opinion! I am trying to record a series through my phone right now! Any help is appreciated! Thank you!?

it seems we are waiting for Comcast to win in the Import Court that caused the problem.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

"it seems we are waiting for Comcast to win in the Import Court that caused the problem."

Key phrase there, Rustyben, "it seems". Since the start of this record breaking thread, we have never seen an official statement from Comcast regarding this issue, other than the overplayed suggestion to use On Demand. Pathetic.
Most Valued Poster

@plummerl wrote:
"it seems we are waiting for Comcast to win in the Import Court that caused the problem."

Key phrase there, Rustyben, "it seems". Since the start of this record breaking thread, we have never seen an official statement from Comcast regarding this issue, other than the overplayed suggestion to use On Demand. Pathetic.

===

I agree.....weary of being told to use On Demand as an alternative/replacement. Its NOT  even close the same thing as being able to manage recordings remotely. Plus..On Demand has lost its luster as it has changed dramatically as to what we can watch for free and how long it remains free. So many programs now require 'buying' a previous episode which did not used to be the case. Comcast says its controlled by the networks but if thats true what changed since we used to be able to go way back and watch older episodes for free? These kind of changes happen with no warning and Comcast owes it to their customers to alert us when 'free stuff' is going to be charged for or apps are going to be taken away but it never happens. 

Thankfully Netflix allows viewing of many programs but NOT from all networks.

Regular Contributor

X1 Guide

So, I recentky updraded from DVR to the X1.  Pros and Cons for sure.  Quetion:  I thought I was told I could log on online, go to live TV, and set up a recoding / reminder to later show on my X1 Tv?  

Expert

@Emoney28 wrote:
Comcast continues to take our money for features we paid for but not given. Pathetic

how much money is on your bill for using the streaming app/function? mine is included without a charge on the bill.

New Poster

That's just it. When we signed up they promoted this functionality. Now that we don't have it anymore, are we getting a credit? No. It's not specifically broken down in our bill because they don't want their customers knowing that they're not getting everything that they were promised.
Regular Contributor

Really, Rusty?  My bill, and I'm sure everyone else's is similar, does not specifically list every single feature we have wih a price next to it.  That doesn't mean we aren't paying for it as part of consolidated charges.  Do you think we should see the cost we are paying for every single TV channel that Comcast has to pay fees to for airing their programs?   I wouldn't mind at all seeing that info, but I doubt it will happen.

That was a pretty weak attempt tp defend Comcast's indefensible actions.  It's probably better for you to stick to technical subjects rather than having a knee jerk reaction to very criticism of the company and its policies.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@Emoney28 wrote:
Comcast continues to take our money for features we paid for but not given. Pathetic

how much money is on your bill for using the streaming app/function? mine is included without a charge on the bill.

Just because its NOT  a defined  line item doesn't mean its not padded in the package charge. 

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Emoney28 wrote:

Rustyben, your response is illogical.  Before Nov 2-017, we had this function.  Every function requires some level of support and that costs $.  COMCAST didn't give it to us for free...it was buried in our fees.  It may equate to a few dollars per account, but it's not zero.  Surely, you get that?

Then, in Nov 2017, the function is removed.  COMCAST claims it has no way around this and points the blame to a court ruling.  OK, then COMCAST should compute the cost of support that it no longer does and refund that amount to each customer, retroactive to Nov 2017.  This would at least show good faith in that we are not paying the same money for less function.  Instead, COMCAST has effectively pocketed the cost of support it no longer does.  Therefore, what's COMCAST's incentive to re-instate the function?  It then has to support it...or will COMCAST announce that there is to be a surge-charge?

Alternatively, COMCAST could tell us what the royalty fee equates to now and offer that as a buy-up option to customers who want to pay for the function right now.

In any case, please don't tell us we were getting a free-bee and we should grateful.

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

This message is from over a year ago. Do you have any updates?
Most Valued Poster

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

Really, Rusty?  My bill, and I'm sure everyone else's is similar, does not specifically list every single feature we have wih a price next to it.  That doesn't mean we aren't paying for it as part of consolidated charges.  Do you think we should see the cost we are paying for every single TV channel that Comcast has to pay fees to for airing their programs?   I wouldn't mind at all seeing that info, but I doubt it will happen.

That was a pretty weak attempt tp defend Comcast's indefensible actions.  It's probably better for you to stick to technical subjects rather than having a knee jerk reaction to very criticism of the company and its policies.

AMEN

Most Valued Poster

Re: How can I record a program on DVR while I'm gone. But l am tryin to set DVR from my phone but i

@Rustyben wrote:

@Mossterman wrote:
I would like to record programs while we are away from home. Just set the DVR when we see a show we would like to watch.

not currently possible. You may however set recordings up to two weeks away while at home using the guide. The program you would like to record may be available the next day using an on-demand version.

===

I got an email notification that a member  accepted Rustyben's post  as an accepted solution to the issue. Most definitely not true. This issue is far from resolved. I know that Comcast has deemed Rustyben  an 'expert'  but we need the progress and eventual solution to come from Comcast itself.

Most Valued Poster

Re: How can I record a program on DVR while I'm gone. But l am tryin to set DVR from my phone but i

@wmrpdx wrote:

Definitely not solved. Who decides it is solved. Can we remove that Comcast honk from this issue? We need a real Comcast response.

We see 'solved' all the time on issues posted in these forums and its maddening as we  sit  typing away with our concerns/examples etc and someone marks  a non Comcast employee's post as the definitive solution on very open and unsolved issues.  There are cases I do appreciate the input from the 'experts' annointed by Comcast but their input is not official and on high visibility and especially legal issues we deserve direct input from Comcast 

Official Employee

Re: I can no longer record shows remotely

It’s actually “best answer” and it’s not Rustyben’s post but the post of the Forum Administrator. Currently the “best answer” is the only answer, nothing’s changed since. Click go to best answer to go directly to that post.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

So what is Comcast doing to bring back this feature? It seems like Comcast is not at risk in bringing it back. As noted in other posts, we have not received a discount because it is not available. How do we get a credit for losing this feature? It is available on other tv service providers.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
It’s actually “best answer” and it’s not Rustyben’s post but the post of the Forum Administrator. Currently the “best answer” is the only answer, nothing’s changed since. Click go to best answer to go directly to that post.

Andrew......its a total misnomer to call anything 'best answer' for explanations especially for patents/ legal stuff that has left us without one of the most useful and widely advertised features we had regardless of who posts it and  I recall that the message I got said 'solution'......"A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!" I know the esteem Rustyben  seems to hold among the Comcast reps but we users out here in userrealityland need to know what Comcast knows and kept up to date only by Comcast. The explanation given by Rustyben and others over the past year has been iterated more times than I can count but users still ask the initial question about what happened to the feature/ why can't they do  X, Y and Z and I 'get' that  because the thread is so long due to  overwhelming input since Nov 2017. It may be long but should never be archived or started over due to historical significance of the urgency of the problem and all the user input .  Used to be that new 'reporters'  would be referred to an early explanation by one of the reps and it may have even been from the head moderator Jessie but having it reiterated instead of referring users back to the original explanation is getting really wearisome. Please try to understand that this is a huge issue and nothing like  'best answer', 'solved' or 'solution' should be used until it is actually resolved.  It seems to be intended as a pacifier but it misleads .

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

==

I forgot to say something very important in my 'best answer' rebuttal ........... this topic actually  says SOLVED so 'best answer' is not really the issue. Please remove the SOLVED notation and who the heck put that on here?

Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

ComcastAndrew, can you answer the following questions:

• Why hasn't COMCAST offered a credit to its customers, retroactive to Nov 2017, when functionality was removed?  i.e. Why are we charged the same fee for less function?

• Since this court settlement could go on indefinitely, why hasn't COMCAST determined the cost of re-instating the function, including royalties it may be required to pay, and offered that as an option to customers who want to buy-up the function?

Thanks

Official Employee

Sorry, I wish I could, I’m a field technician and don’t have the answer. I doubt you’ll ever publicly get those answers.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Sorry, I wish I could, I’m a field technician and don’t have the answer. I doubt you’ll ever publicly get those answers.

Thank you for an honest response.

Perhaps you have the means to convey these questions to your senior management?

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks for being honest with us. 

Regular Contributor

@Gladiator51 wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

• Why hasn't COMCAST offered a credit to its customers, retroactive to Nov 2017, when functionality was removed?  i.e. Why are we charged the same fee for less function?

• Since this court settlement could go on indefinitely, why hasn't COMCAST determined the cost of re-instating the function, including royalties it may be required to pay, and offered that as an option to customers who want to buy-up the function?

Thanks

Where in the contract does it state that you get a refund if a feature (or a channel) is dropped....I would love to know that so I can use it when on the phone with customer service.

Thank you in advance

Contributor

@billmich88888 wrote:

@Gladiator51 wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks

Where in the contract does it state that you get a refund if a feature (or a channel) is dropped....I would love to know that so I can use it when on the phone with customer service.

Thank you in advance

I asked questions that COMCAST should answer.  They may say "because we can".   If they stand on their contract, then let's hear them say it.  No, this isn't analogous to revising their channel lineup.  The question was not intended to provide ammo for your use on the phone with a COMCAST agent.  Surely, you know how effective that is.

Regular Contributor

there is no stipulation in the contract agreement for a refund to the customer (en masse)  if a feature is discontinued. 

If you wish to prove me incorrect, by all means, please do so.

If an individual wishes to call Comcast (or email, or stop by a service center) and demand or request a refund because of the loss of the feature, I would encourage it wholeheartedly (and I'd wish them the very best of luck)

Regular Contributor

Thank you, ComcastJessie

the free expression of ideas without bullying is much appreciated in this forum

Contributor

@ComcastJessie wrote:
Removed for violating forum guidelines

I was engaged in debate with another poster.  Is this because the poster repeatedly took the side of COMCAST in defending its contract provisions while ignoring the point of the question?

Pretty soon, only those who agree with COMCASTs handling of this problem will be left on the forum.  The rest will have given up or been shut off.

Most Valued Poster

@Gladiator51 wrote:

@ComcastJessie wrote:
Removed for violating forum guidelines

I was engaged in debate with another poster.  Is this because the poster repeatedly took the side of COMCAST in defending its contract provisions while ignoring the point of the question?

Pretty soon, only those who agree with COMCASTs handling of this problem will be left on the forum.  The rest will have given up or been shut off.

--

I thought these forums were for users to express themselves and share with other users but  its been shown  we are not supposed to debate with any user or Comcast and certainly not their user 'experts'. It will get you banned...been there done that and I tread lightely now. I have always believed in challenging when necessary but that is a no- no here.  Many who 'express' even without malice have their posts removed before you can blink.  Comcast has not handled the problem very well at a corporate level in my opinion as there is never any official update and lets not forget that the feature was removed without any announcement/alert/warning. It just went poof one day in Nov 2017 and they wonder why we push back.

New Poster

So Comcast ndrew. what is the OFFICIAL anser to the question of why I cannot record on my mobile devices today., after being able to in 2017??

New Poster

Here is what Comcast support stated today Jan 10, 2019:

Currently our product team is currently working on making another app which will make recording convenient to the customers. Comcast mission is to make every bit of your subscription convenient to use.
Conrad 1:52:32 PM
We don't have a specific date as to when we will launch this new app but we will keep you updated on our website at http://xfinity.comcast.net a week before.
Conrad 1:52:41 PM
It is said to be launch second quarter of this year but not official yet.
New Poster

From Comcast Tech:
Just to set proper expectations, you're paying for your core services like cable TV, Internet or phone. The apps are just features which are created by our product team as a reward for being a Comcast customer. They are actually planning to add more apps in the future and this will not add up to your bill.
Conrad 1:59:53 PM
This is not something that Comcast wants. They were forced to remove it by the national jury.
Official Employee

So Comcast ndrew. what is the OFFICIAL anser to the question of why I cannot record on my mobile devices today., after being able to in 2017??

Click on Go to Best Answer at the top of every thread page and it will take you there...

Most Valued Poster

@kirkwwhite wrote:
From Comcast Tech:
Just to set proper expectations, you're paying for your core services like cable TV, Internet or phone. The apps are just features which are created by our product team as a reward for being a Comcast customer. They are actually planning to add more apps in the future and this will not add up to your bill.
Conrad 1:59:53 PM
This is not something that Comcast wants. They were forced to remove it by the national jury.

===

That cracked me up that the product team 'rewards' us with features for being a customer.  I can't recall the last 'reward' that didn't end up a mess or be taken away all together......real slo mo/frame by frame...blah blah blah

New Poster

Re: X1 Guide

Nope. I cant believe Comcast hiding the fact that we can’t do this online! SMH
Contributor

I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you. This (and several other dvr issues) have existed for years without Comcast doing anything about them.

New Poster

And I just left DIRECTV for this.  Welp.

Love Internet speed over att,  but sure feels like someone is asleep at the wheel for app development. 

New Poster

So how is it the Spectrum (TWC) app for IOS can set up recordings? But Comcast can’t figure it out?
Regular Contributor

@JamesNYC wrote:
So how is it the Spectrum (TWC) app for IOS can set up recordings? But Comcast can’t figure it out?

I wouldn't know, I don't have, nor do I have the ability to be a spectrum subscriber.

If you like spectrum so much, you should signup up for their service (or move your location so that you can)

New Poster

copyright

What is the copyright problem regarding scheduled recordings from moble devices?

New Poster

Since this was a feature touted by comcast when many of us signed up, will customers soon be seeing a reduction in costs to compensate the reduction in features?
New Poster

recording

Why can't I schedule a recording on Xfinity Stream????

New Poster

While I don't like the answer, I appreciate the response as I know I can stop searching. Hope the appeal is successful.
Most Valued Poster

@barb98029 wrote:
While I don't like the answer, I appreciate the response as I know I can stop searching. Hope the appeal is successful.

The problem started Nov 2017 so thats why the thread is so long but previous poster was correct....the explanation is all over the thread starting at the very beginning of it. We don't like it but they did explain it.

Regular Contributor

@mistermoravec wrote:
Since this was a feature touted by comcast when many of us signed up, will customers soon be seeing a reduction in costs to compensate the reduction in features?

read your terms of the contract for the answer.....

(just hint, the answer is no) - but if you read it and find that not to be true, please let us all know about it

Most Valued Poster

@billmich88888 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@barb98029 wrote:

The problem started Nov 2017 so thats why the thread is so long but previous poster was correct....the explanation is all over the thread starting at the very beginning of it. We don't like it but they did explain it.

I guess they didn't like my answer as it was deleted off the thread

Smiley Sad

There are so many of our posts that they delete before anyone can read them that I have lost count. Its seems we need to be politically correct or ZAP. Been there!

Official Employee

Re: recording

Hello mike31959. This is a feature we no longer offer as functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Hello mike31959. This is a feature we no longer offer as functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! 

So, please help and support me in understanding what an official Comcast employee means by stating the above. He states apps, as in plural. There is nothing regarding temporary about this statement. As a software engineer, with 45 years of experience, is looking for enlightment.

Official Employee

There’s Android, iOS and Roku Xfinity Stream apps among a handful of TV partner apps, plural would explain multiple platforms. Removal is inferred temporary until a final legal decision is made one way or the other.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

I wish someone would CONVINCE user Lacquer of this. He insists over and over that he can set recordings from his Xfinity account on his computer but I asked him to detail the steps he takes and he has failed to reply.