Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Frequent Visitor

Re: Set recordings through app

It's obviously not a top priority for Comcast, and that seems to be all that really matters to them.

Expert

@Don50 wrote:

OK, Comcast is fighting Rovi. But the app recording feature is a major issue for many users.  How can this be made a top priority to resolve and when, realistically, will it be available?

There were two Tivo patents (both now invalidated by the patent office). Comcast is working on the last hurdle (the Import Office) before re-enabling the record button.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for update but common man -- Long enough for this major corporation ... 

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben speaks the truth.  Here's an article that details recent(ish) progress:

https://www.multichannel.com/news/comcast-gets-two-more-tivo-patents-invalidated

I understand that litigation is a tricky matter, but I remain disappointed about the lack of transparency from Comcast with their customers through this entire process.

From our perspective, a valuable feature was taken away with no warning or explanation, and we got very little information and no apologies when we raised our voices.  Only "Why not try On Demand?"

This might NOT be a bully move or a money grab by Comcast, but it certainly looks that way from here.

I expect the lifespan of this reply to be short, considering that anything I post that mentions a Comcast competitor or casts Comcast in a negative light gets removed by a moderator almost immediately.  More evidence that customer satisfaction is not high on their list of priorities.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the post and reference article ..

Regular Visitor

Thanks

Regular Contributor

@admyers wrote:

Rustyben speaks the truth.  Here's an article that details recent(ish) progress:

https://www.multichannel.com/news/comcast-gets-two-more-tivo-patents-invalidated

I understand that litigation is a tricky matter, but I remain disappointed about the lack of transparency from Comcast with their customers through this entire process.

From our perspective, a valuable feature was taken away with no warning or explanation, and we got very little information and no apologies when we raised our voices.  Only "Why not try On Demand?"

This might NOT be a bully move or a money grab by Comcast, but it certainly looks that way from here.

I expect the lifespan of this reply to be short, considering that anything I post that mentions a Comcast competitor or casts Comcast in a negative light gets removed by a moderator almost immediately.  More evidence that customer satisfaction is not high on their list of priorities.

I dare you to name one company that is open and transparent and speaks freely about "ongoing litigation".

That would be a very stupid strategic move to make.

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

The elimination of the remote recording feature is a HUGE disappointment and dissatisfier for me!  I frequently programmed my DVR on my phone to record programs. For example, I might be out or running late and forgot to program my DVR. Or, a friend might mention a program I might like and I would program my DVR then and there, so I woudn't forget later. The technology obviously exists, so why has it been removed? 

Expert

@DougTingvall wrote:

The elimination of the remote recording feature is a HUGE disappointment and dissatisfier for me!  I frequently programmed my DVR on my phone to record programs. For example, I might be out or running late and forgot to program my DVR. Or, a friend might mention a program I might like and I would program my DVR then and there, so I woudn't forget later. The technology obviously exists, so why has it been removed? 

it was removed a year ago due to a US import court enforcing 2 patents with ROVI that were invalidated just 3 weeks ago by the patent court in Washington, DC. we are all awaiting the return of the record function.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

YAY!!! Thanks for the good news!

Regular Contributor

I hope what rustyben says is true, but I’ll reserve judgement until the remote features are restored.  If Comcast is going to do it, it’s time for an official announcement saying so, unlike the dead silence efeatures were removed.

Regular Contributor

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

I hope what rustyben says is true, but I’ll reserve judgement until the remote features are restored.  If Comcast is going to do it, it’s time for an official announcement saying so, unlike the dead silence efeatures were removed.

I think the Comcast experts here are very responsive and informative. AS soon as they know something, it is communicated to us....

Regular Contributor

"I think the Comcast experts here are very responsive and informative. AS soon as they know something, it is communicated to us...."

OK, enough cheerleading.  You must be bucking for a promotion.

They respond quickly, but their responses are generally not informative.  They are constant repeats of the company line with little detail.   It would be far better just to say that nothing is going to happen until it happens, mainly because that's the truth.   The rest is just blah, blah, blah.

Regular Contributor

I would venture to say it won't be returning anytime soon. The referenced article ends with:

Responded TiVo: “There are over 1,000 different patents in Rovi's portfolio and Comcast's unprecedented effort to try to challenge a handful of them doesn't change the fact that they have already been found in violation of critical Rovi patents and are being forced to punish their own customers by removing popular features. In this particular instance we are optimistic about our appeal options, we expect that Comcast will continue to be found in violation of these and other patents in the future and are unwavering in our commitment to take the necessary legal actions to ensure Comcast renews its long-standing license to fairly compensate Rovi for the use of our IP.”
Contributor

Meanwhile, COMCAST could consider offering an interim solution, such as offering an option to customers who want the feature for a small fee that would compensate for the licensing cost. 

Wonder what the legal costs are...which we are ultimately paying for anyway through our billing.

Regular Visitor

Lawsuit bt TiVo - Capability removed in 2017
New Poster

Is there a service or something you would recommend until you are again able?

New Poster

X1 Remote Record

I know all about the cat fight between Comcast and TiVo regarding remote record capabilities and how Comcast dropped the feature to save itself from litigation and how you're working really hard to remedy the situation.  Right.  I also hear the Golden Gate Bridge is for sale.  

Here's my point:  I really don't care that I can use the remote to find an On Demand Lithuanian badmitten game or to ask it for the weather in Broken Pelvis, Idaho.  All I want to do is to be able to remotely set up a recording. 

Can't you, Comcast, strike a deal with TiVo to license their remote record feature and then, what else is new, pass on that cost to the users?  You turned it off with an update, I'm sure you can turn it back on just as easily. 

If you're not willing to even broach that subject with TiVo, then maybe drop the TV spot showing the pretend Comcast software engineer who is supposedly writing all kinds of cool things to enhance Xfinity.  It's a little insulting.

Then there's the ridiculously long lag time in FFWD/REW and Guide functions, but that's another rant for another time.

On the positive side, I still have the satellite mount on my roof, so, you know, there's that.

Expert

Re: X1 Remote Record

@NorCal47 wrote:

I know all about the cat fight between Comcast and TiVo regarding remote record capabilities and how Comcast dropped the feature to save itself from litigation and how you're working really hard to remedy the situation.  Right.  I also hear the Golden Gate Bridge is for sale.  

Here's my point:  I really don't care that I can use the remote to find an On Demand Lithuanian badmitten game or to ask it for the weather in Broken Pelvis, Idaho.  All I want to do is to be able to remotely set up a recording. 

Can't you, Comcast, strike a deal with TiVo to license their remote record feature and then, what else is new, pass on that cost to the users?  You turned it off with an update, I'm sure you can turn it back on just as easily. 

If you're not willing to even broach that subject with TiVo, then maybe drop the TV spot showing the pretend Comcast software engineer who is supposedly writing all kinds of cool things to enhance Xfinity.  It's a little insulting.

Then there's the ridiculously long lag time in FFWD/REW and Guide functions, but that's another rant for another time.

On the positive side, I still have the satellite mount on my roof, so, you know, there's that.

TiVo/Rovi want to extract payments (blackmail) from Comcast for 'non-inventions' that the supreme court already said is not a valid patent (the Alice decision). Comcast writes their own code and is diligently spending millions to get the courts/regulators to act as quickly as possible.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@NorCal47 wrote:

TiVo/Rovi want to extract payments (blackmail) from Comcast for 'non-inventions' that the supreme court already said is not a valid patent (the Alice decision). Comcast writes their own code and is diligently spending millions to get the courts/regulators to act as quickly as possible.

How about Comcast diligently start refunding us for not providing services that they promised when we signed up for Xfinity 0ne?

Regular Contributor

@nayaugpark wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@NorCal47 wrote:

How about Comcast diligently start refunding us for not providing services that they promised when we signed up for Xfinity 0ne?

that isn't in the contract....but this is:

Please see section #4 - Changes to Services within this link here: https://www.xfinity.com/corporate/customers/policies/subscriberagreement to find out more information regarding our agreement terms for residential services. 

Contributor

It certainly appears they've got themselves covered.  The heading is obviously a typo, should be "Changes to Services".

2018-11-15_10-49-53.png

Regular Contributor

@Gladiator51 wrote:

It certainly appears they've got themselves covered.  The heading is obviously a typo, should be "Changes to Services".

2018-11-15_10-49-53.png

I'm not sure that I'd agree with that statement. Read the four events bulleted in 4. None of them occurred in this case! The only notice of the change we received was in reply to our complaining about it here in the Community Forum. This does not "constitute sufficient and effective notice under this Agreement".

Regular Contributor

Do you really think they care?
Regular Contributor

@orfartenbuehl wrote:
Do you really think they care?

If that was directed at my reply, ..... of course not!

Regular Contributor

Yes it was :-). The numerous apologists here keep distributing the party line as if it means something to us, the customers. We don’t care about the why. We want the situation resolved and the features restored. All the reasons in the world don’t excuse Comcast’s lack of official communications to the customer base about status. Only a tiny fraction of its customers read these forums and the others have no idea why the feature was removed or when it will return. Read this post quickly - it will be tossed into oblivion post haste.
Official Employee

Hi @nayaugpark

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide any compensation. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Setting a program to record when not home

I am out of town and would like to set a program to record from where I am. Is that possible.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Setting a program to record when not home

not anymore. They took that ability away a year or so ago.

Frequent Visitor

Why wasn't I notified that I cannot remotely set recordings?

Why wasn't I notified that I cannot remotely set recordings? You apparantly have had over a year to notify me, but I had to come to the forums to find out. Comcast you are selling lies.

Frequent Visitor

Cannot record using xfinity online.

I use my computer for watching cable channels.  I have nbeen unable to record for about 6-9 months.  I can use on demand but I have to start the program, it's laggy i then close browser and restart it and it's fine.

I know I can't pause live when using onlne streaming,  but I'd like to be able to record again.

New Poster

Remote DVR Programming

Is it possible to program my DVR remotely from a PC?  A search shows it used to be possible from a cell phone app.  But I don't have a smart phone, and the search results indicated Comcast lost a patent lawsuit to Tivo and Comcast had to disable that function.

Regular Contributor

Re: Remote DVR Programming

As has been stated many times here, the answer is an absolute NO.  Remote setting and adjusting of DVR recordings from anywhere other than your home where your X1 box is located is verboten.  The question that everyone here should be asking is when Comcast will once again allow it's subscribers to use that feature.  A few official responders on this forum have stated that Comcast has had some success in the courts and that the feature will be restored soon.

Unfortunately, repeated phone calls to various levels of Comcast management show those statements to be false and apparently posted in an attempt to try and quiet the unhappiness of their customers about this issue.  It’s been over a year now and no end is in sight.  I am getting the feeling that, no matter what happens, Comcast will not allow remote recording to be reinstated.  We are in a black hole of information.  It would be a lot better if Comcast, on an official and all customer basis, communicated with its customers, other than trying to sell,us more products.  Alas, it seems that the only concern the company has is for our money and I doubt that will change.

Frequent Visitor

So Comcast... it’s been over a year. We thought you were going to litigate and get this feature back? What is going on???
Regular Contributor

@wmrpdx wrote:
So Comcast... it’s been over a year. We thought you were going to litigate and get this feature back? What is going on???

it's the world of litigation, 1 year is not a long time at all

Regular Contributor

But, but, but, several of the official and semi official responders on the thread said that Comcast had won part of the suit and that we would have the features back soon.  Were they disseminating fake news to calm the masses?  Say it ain’t so.  If you can’t trust Comcast, who can you trust?

Regular Contributor

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

But, but, but, several of the official and semi official responders on the thread said that Comcast had won part of the suit and that we would have the features back soon.  Were they disseminating fake news to calm the masses?  Say it ain’t so.  If you can’t trust Comcast, who can you trust?

You can trust our dutifully and lawfully elected federal leaders. I know I believe everything they say.

Now back to reality, what is "said " on this forum is nice, but unless it is said with specifics by an official comcast person, I put zero stock in what is said.

and I also would prefer an official posting on the website as final confirmation over some random fourm post

Regular Contributor

I’m not going to scroll through hundreds of messages, but at least one post saying we would get the features back soon was by an “official Comcast employee.”
Regular Contributor

@orfartenbuehl wrote:
I’m not going to scroll through hundreds of messages, but at least one post saying we would get the features back soon was by an “official Comcast employee.”

I wouldn't scroll either, but moving forward, this needs to be screenshot and then they should be held to answer for false statements 

Regular Visitor

I still maintain that IF Comcast cared about their customers -- there are at least 3 options they could take that would restore the functions quickly:

1) While they are spending BILLIONS of dollars buying other companies -- buy TiVo and own the technology.

2) Pay TiVo to license the technology.

3) Use the developers in Philadelphia that we keep seeing in the Xfinity TV ads - and design a new process that gets the job done without using TiVo technology.

Comcast has done none of these.  And Comcast doesn't seem to care that they haven't solved this issue.  (( Showing "Solved" in the forum by just telling us that Comcast lost the legal suit and is now just sitting by waiting on years of courtroom dancing did not solve the issue ))

Expert

@ArkyViewer wrote:

I still maintain that IF Comcast cared about their customers -- there are at least 3 options they could take that would restore the functions quickly:

1) While they are spending BILLIONS of dollars buying other companies -- buy TiVo and own the technology.

2) Pay TiVo to license the technology.

3) Use the developers in Philadelphia that we keep seeing in the Xfinity TV ads - and design a new process that gets the job done without using TiVo technology.

Comcast has done none of these.  And Comcast doesn't seem to care that they haven't solved this issue.  (( Showing "Solved" in the forum by just telling us that Comcast lost the legal suit and is now just sitting by waiting on years of courtroom dancing did not solve the issue ))

comcast has written their own 'programs' and won each patent claim so far when presented in a proper Washington DC Patent court. The Import Court has not yet recognized the patent invalidations in the washing DC Patent Court and Comcast is still in proceedings to end the Import Court's injunction.

Regular Contributor

Is there anything that the Comcast fanboys on this forum won’t try to explain away or blame others for? It could still take years to convince the Import Court, which admittedly is the incorrect forum for this issue, to drop their injunction (though I’m not sure there really is an actual injunction, just a ruling that Comcast is obeying). The issue is NOT solved, there is no pending solution and the Comcast decision is still affecting subscribers after a year. Stop making excuses and just admit that Comcast does not care what we think - and basically never has. It’s so much easier than constantly posting fake information.
Seconds before this post disappears - 10, 9, 8,........
Contributor

Rustyben, you continually advocate for Comcast. Do you ever advocate for the customers? There are sound suggestions being made on this forum that could become solutions, but yet all you play is the Comcast line. If you want to help, why don’t you get Comcast to address the suggestions and why they won’t use them?
Expert

@Gladiator51 wrote:
Rustyben, you continually advocate for Comcast. Do you ever advocate for the customers? There are sound suggestions being made on this forum that could become solutions, but yet all you play is the Comcast line. If you want to help, why don’t you get Comcast to address the suggestions and why they won’t use them?

I am just a customer, like you. I do keep up with the cable news feed and technology. No one gives a line to follow.